Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Boredom

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm so sick and tired of my summer break...
Will someone please tell me why for first and second year medicine, I have 30 weeks teaching which means I start in October, work for ten weeks, have four weeks off for Christmas, work for another ten weeks, have five weeks off at Easter, work for another ten weeks and then get just under three months off for summer -
Then come third and fourth year I have 45 weeks teaching which means two and a half weeks off for Christmas, a week and a half off for Easter and three weeks off for summer?
End of the fourth year doesn't count because you don't finish working from Easter until written finals in September... and then you get two weeks off before a 40 week slog with no break... and then a month off, then it's pretty much straight into an F1 job...
Grr!

Comments

• Options
    that does sound a bit daft. maybe its to slowly introduce you to the long hours you'll be working and to see how to cope under taxing conditions?
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    I'm so sick and tired of my summer break...
    Will someone please tell me why........

No I can't tell you why.

Just enjoy your time off while you have it :)
  • Options
    It's not just the long terms - I currently do about 20 hours contact teaching a week, backed up by about 30 hours private study.
    Come the third year i'll be on clinics etc every waking hour, being bollocked by consultants... in at weekends, on nights...
    Why do I do this you ask? Sure as hell isn't for the favourable working hours and good pay!