Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

50/50.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Took two pregnancy tests. One said negative and one said positive.

Comments

• Options
    Do one more
  • Options
    I'm going to the Brooke tommorrow morning instead.
  • Options
    I'd take it as a positive.

False negatives are quite common, especially testing too early or with less sensitive tests. But as the tests check for a hormone that is only there in testable quantities in pregnant women, false positives are very rare.
  • Options
    As they've pressed to make the tests more sensitive, and able to give results earlier, the incidence of "false positives" have increased
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    As they've pressed to make the tests more sensitive, and able to give results earlier, the incidence of "false positives" have increased

They're not false positives, though. They're true positives that gave up the ghost early, that before you would never even have known about.

Also worth mentioning that not using the test properly can leave you with a line that might look like a positive. If you read the result after the time you're supposed to, or if the test is past its sell by date, a line can appear where the positive line would have been (called ghost lines or evaporation lines). But these lines are generally colourless or grey, not the blue or pink that a true positive should be. In any case, a true positive will appear within the 3 minutes or whatever time the test specifies. Any results after that should be disregarded.

It is possible to get a true false positive, but these are very rare, and caused by things such as hormonal fertility treatment, and some rare forms of hormone-producing cancers.

If you have had one positive on a home test, and your period does not arrive, I would strongly recommend re-testing, as it is likely to be a true positive.
  • Options
    I'm going to test again if my period hasn't came by next week. That will make it over 3 weeks overdue!
  • Options
    Tbh i would take another as soon as you can.
  • Options
    If your period is two weeks late and you got even one positive test, you are EXTREMELY likely to be pregnant.

I guess you didn't go to the Brook centre then?
  • Options
    No, because I have been visiting a pregnancy forum and they said it's possible that one of the tests is a false positive because it's extremly unlikely to get a false negative and that another urine test will only confuse me, so I am better getting a blood test. I've also heard it's possible to go a month without ovulating, and if I did, that would mean that I am ovulating around now ready for my next period in another week or two.
  • Options
    youre pregnant.
  • Options
    You need to do more tests or go to the Brook. If you do turn out to be pregnant, the sooner you find out, the more time you will have to make a decision about what you want to do. Burying your head in the sand and hoping you're not won't make the problem go away.
  • Options
    Just get a proper test done.

FFS
  • Options
    Just so you know.... False negatives are actually more common that false positives... so yeah, get checked again.

If you're not going to go to a doctor / Brook, buy another home test kit, and do it when you get up in the morning. Don't wanna bore you with science, but thats when your urine has the most hCG in and so is best for testing.
  • Options
    lyric wrote: »
    No, because I have been visiting a pregnancy forum and they said it's possible that one of the tests is a false positive because it's extremly unlikely to get a false negative and that another urine test will only confuse me, so I am better getting a blood test. I've also heard it's possible to go a month without ovulating, and if I did, that would mean that I am ovulating around now ready for my next period in another week or two.

I don't know what forum you went on, but that information is totally wrong. False negatives are relatively common, caused by such things as testing too early, drinking lots of water and thus diluting the hormone in your pee, not putting enough pee on the stick - all very easy mistakes to make. In contrast, false positives are very rare.

Your ovulation theory is very sketchy too - generally you'd have a period even if you didn't ovulate, although they'd tend to be more irregular.

If I were you I'd get down to a clinic or your doctors sharpish! If you are pregnant, you need to make a decision about what you want to do as early as possible. This is not something that is going to go away!
  • Options
    Just go get another test.
    The longer you leave it the more stressful it'll be in the long run. Surely not knowing either way is a horrible feeling?
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    I don't know what forum you went on, but that information is totally wrong. False negatives are relatively common, caused by such things as testing too early, drinking lots of water and thus diluting the hormone in your pee, not putting enough pee on the stick - all very easy mistakes to make. In contrast, false positives are very rare.

Your ovulation theory is very sketchy too - generally you'd have a period even if you didn't ovulate, although they'd tend to be more irregular.

If I were you I'd get down to a clinic or your doctors sharpish! If you are pregnant, you need to make a decision about what you want to do as early as possible. This is not something that is going to go away!
    This!
  • Options
    It makes me sad that people on an actual pregnancy forum are talking such rubbish.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    It makes me sad that people on an actual pregnancy forum are talking such rubbish.

I have to agree, Lolz uses quite a few of these and a lot of what is posted is a load of shit, so much so she even tells me and I laugh my ass off.. problem is, people given the wrong advice, when it comes to babies can be dangerous.

Although I am waiting for someone to suggest "thalidomide" for morning sickness....:yeees:
  • Options
    Well I'll take another test. Thank you :)
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    If you start getting morning sickness, there's this brand new wonder-drug you should take: THALIDOMIDE.

inb4 shitstorm, I wasn't being serious.
  • Options
    Does morning sickness always have to involve throwing up?
  • Options
    No.

Just go to the doctors already.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »

:yes:

If you are pregnant (which from what you've said about the positive test - sounds likely) you're going to have to end up going sooner or later anyway.
  • Options
    But I don't feel pregnant at all.. Maybe I just didn't ovulated and missed a period.
  • Options
    Right and how do you know what pregnant feels like?
  • Options
    But I don't feel pregnant at all..

LOL @ that.

• Options
    But I don't feel pregnant at all.. Maybe I just didn't ovulated and missed a period.

seriously, put the factors together....you have been having sex for about a month, no contraception and you havnt had a period since your last one......just because you dont feel pregnant doesnt mean you arnt.

What are you expecting, kicking from the baby?

Stop putting it off and go to the brooke/family planning/the GP, NOW
  • Options

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
  • Options
    Agree with everyone.. especially Hellfires response..:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

By the sounds of things..your in denial about the fact that youve made a mistake and that your pregnant.

GO TO THE DOCTORS.
  • Options

GO. TO. THE. DOCTORS.

Seriously.
This discussion has been closed.