Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Learning to crochet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started learning to crochet today, well I learnt when I was about 8 lol so can do chain stitch already lol

Trying to start a simple granny square but finding it really difficult! Tension is all over the place, twisted stitches and big holes!

Someone tell me it will get easier, and that knitting was just as difficult at the start! :(

Comments

• Options
    It will get easier! I find crochet loads easier than knitting now.

It might help to get some practice doing a couple of flat swatches to even out your tension before you try another granny square?

Also try playing around with the way you hold your hook. I can not get it in my head if I grip it the way you're supposed to, so i hold it in this weird way that's like a cross between holding a knife and holding a knitting needle! Sounds stupid, but it really helps. :)
  • Options
    Oh good for you, I cannot wait to see what you create! Post pictures, even of a square :D

My grandma also taught me how to crochet as a youngester but I just couldn't get the hang of it. I kept losing stitches and just made U shaped things. I'd love to try again though, I've seen Olive's stuff and it is just gorgeous and she inspires me! (and Missy too ;))
  • Options
    Oh good for you, I cannot wait to see what you create!

All I created yesterday was shapeless circles of yarn :grump:

I think I am doing the stitches right because they seem easy enough, but the finished article looks nothing like it's supposed to! I think I don't understand exactly how the stitches make shapes. I hope once I get this then it will become easier

Anyone know any good crochet videos? I want knittinghelp for crochet!

GRR at crochet!
  • Options
    YouTube is good. But I'm the same, I'll do one project in crochet and love it but then get annoyed when it gets hard and go back to knitting!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Crochet is wonderful and it so much easier than knitting. It is faster and you only have one stitch to worry about. It is soooooo good. Granny squares aren't particularly the easiest thing to start off with, though, because you need to master the round.

Olive's advice is what I would reiterate. That, and have a look on youtube too. Oh, and there are lots of helpful people on ravelry who will lend a hand :)
  • Options
    Yay!!

Sorry the pictures are a bit crap
    004.JPG 779.7K
    006.JPG 365.5K
  • Options
    I'm so chuffed!
  • Options
    I'm extremly impressed! I cannot believe you just started crochet! You are quite talented
  • Options
    Thanks! Its really quite easy once you work out how to hold the hook and yarn at the same time lol

This is actually the third attempt at granny square, the first two were a bit disasterous but I think I'm getting the hang of it :)
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Thanks! Its really quite easy once you work out how to hold the hook and yarn at the same time lol

This is actually the third attempt at granny square, the first two were a bit disasterous but I think I'm getting the hang of it :)

Well done! They get easier, I promise. They are just a bit fiddly at the beginning. What are you going to do with your granny squares?
  • Options
    Well done! They get easier, I promise. They are just a bit fiddly at the beginning. What are you going to do with your granny squares?

Urmm well I only have one at the moment, and I don't really like the colours I used on it so not sure where that particular granny is destined to end up!

I bought some crochet hooks because I have loads of little balls of yarn to use up, not enough to make anything proper with. I was going to start a granny square blanket, using up my leftovers and then adding to it as more leftovers come along lol

That's quite a long project though, if you have any other ideas for granny squares let me know!

I love my little granny square, I have it sitting beside me, smoothing it out every 5 minutes lol. I am very proud haha
  • Options
    Urmm well I only have one at the moment, and I don't really like the colours I used on it so not sure where that particular granny is destined to end up!

I bought some crochet hooks because I have loads of little balls of yarn to use up, not enough to make anything proper with. I was going to start a granny square blanket, using up my leftovers and then adding to it as more leftovers come along lol

That's quite a long project though, if you have any other ideas for granny squares let me know!

I love my little granny square, I have it sitting beside me, smoothing it out every 5 minutes lol. I am very proud haha

You should be proud. It is an achievement :)

A granny square blankie always looks fantastic. I have 2, now. You could do things like this though (rav link). There are lots of funky granny square bags out there :)
  • Options
    Yeah, bag is a good one. Nice manageable size, too! You can work it in loads of different ways too, like this:

granny_square_bag.JPG

or this:

50157355_bcbe4190bd.jpg
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Yeah, bag is a good one. Nice manageable size, too! You can work it in loads of different ways too, like this:

granny_square_bag.JPG

This is the one that I was looking for on Rav. Albeit, half heartedly looking. I want to make this one at some point.
  • Options
    This is the one that I was looking for on Rav. Albeit, half heartedly looking. I want to make this one at some point.

Aye, I do prefer the diagonal placement. I'm not the greatest fan of crochet bags usually, but I think with the right yarn in the right colours this one would be ace!
  • Options
    What size crochet hook do you need to make granny squares?
    (I am so clueless)
  • Options
    What size crochet hook do you need to make granny squares?
    (I am so clueless)

I used 5mm but I think you just use the right size hook for whatever yarn you're using (or what the pattern says if you're following one lol)
  • Options
    You should be proud. It is an achievement :)

A granny square blankie always looks fantastic. I have 2, now. You could do things like this though (rav link). There are lots of funky granny square bags out there :)

Do you have any pics of your granny square blankets?

Those bags are cool but I doubt I would use them as I have 5 zillion bags already

Knitting feels weird after crochet, especially with dpns lol, so many needles!
  • Options
    Do you have any pics of your granny square blankets?

Those bags are cool but I doubt I would use them as I have 5 zillion bags already

Knitting feels weird after crochet, especially with dpns lol, so many needles!

Have a look on my rav page. I don't have any saved on this computer. There is my babette afghan. Ooooh, here is the flickr link. The babette is just different sized granny squares jigsawed together.

My other one is just a mahoosive granny square that went on for ever. I'll see if I can fish it out to take a photo. It's quite old now. There are others that I want to make though. I get inspiration from this blog. Her crochet is fantastic and she makes some yummy granny square blankies.

I hate going from crochet to dpns. It feels so wrong! Hehe.
  • Options
    Have a look on my rav page. I don't have any saved on this computer. There is my babette afghan. Ooooh, here is the flickr link. The babette is just different sized granny squares jigsawed together.

Wow that's really pretty!

I've done 4 little squares today lol I'm addicted!

I'm having trouble crocheting in the ends though - sometimes works sometimes not. I'll have to weave in most of them

I think I'm gonna do all the squares with just 3 rounds, and then another round all in the same colour then stitch together. Yay
  • Options
    I just bought a crochet hook :hyper:
  • Options
    I just bought a crochet hook :hyper:

Lol cool what size did ya get? I got a pack of 10 different sizes lol, bet I never use most of them
  • Options
    I got a 5mm one just to try. It was only a pound on ebay. I've got some wool already so I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully it will be better than my last attempt, which just ended in a Robert Winston style tache.
  • Options
    I got a 5mm one just to try. It was only a pound on ebay. I've got some wool already so I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully it will be better than my last attempt, which just ended in a Robert Winston style tache:

Lol was that the desired outcome?
  • Options
    YouCanDoIt.jpg
  • Options
    :lol: not as such!
  • Options
    Ahh, crotchet. I love to play it in the garden. It's the thing with the hammer and the balls and the little goals. It's ace.
  • Options
    that's croquet :p
  • Options
    I am sooooo getting into this:
    DSCF0374.jpg
  • Options
    I am sooooo getting into this:
    DSCF0374.jpg

Bloody hell that's well good! How did you crochet them together?