Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Learning to crochet

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/joining-asyougo-sqaures.html
    :)

It's actually really easy - except the bit where I tried to join the side to the corner by mistake :blush:
  • Options
    http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/joining-asyougo-sqaures.html
    :)

It's actually really easy - except the bit where I tried to join the side to the corner by mistake :blush:

I'm seriously fucking impressed!
  • Options
    :D thank you! I am as well, I'm so happy :D
  • Options
    My attempts...
  • Options
    cool! are you gonna join them?
    I love doing these, they're so quick and actually really simple when you get into it.
  • Options
    cool! are you gonna join them?
    I love doing these, they're so quick and actually really simple when you get into it.

Yep but I only have 9 and need about 60 in total lol so not joining them until they're all done and can rearrange the colours. I'm doing a blanket to use up spare yarn so I don't know what colours will end up in it! I'm going to edge them all in cream and then join - I was going to just stitch em together but I might just crochet them straight together like yours

What's yours gonna be? I love the design. What yarn are you using? Most of mine is worsted weight and sometimes turns out a bit thin but yours looks nice and squishy

Doesn't it make you well chuffed lol, I'm granny square obsessed!
  • Options
    I'm using Rowan Pure DK wool in Raspberry and Cypress as they were the first two I found on ebay. This is kind of the next step up from a practice project, and I'm just going to keep going until I run out of yarn, and then edge it in another colour. If I run out and it's a weird shape or size then I'll buy more and keep going until it looks good.

I intend to do it again as a blanket though, and use yellow as the centre and then a bright colour for the next round and then green for the third round, and I want that to be BIIIG, but it will be slow cos they yarn is >£3 a ball. It's soooo nice to work with though. I was practising with acrylic and it was ok to practice with but it doesn't feel nice at all. All I blogged about for a week was this blue and white acrylic, I was sick of the sight of it after a while!

I think I'm granny square obsessed too! I couldn't do it to start with, but I managed it after Littlemissy wrote me a tutorial for it and then it was easy peasy. That was doing it in square sections like you have, but I wanted to do the circle-y one so I had a go and it was easy as well. hooray!

The joining is really easy too - whenever you would chain 1 on the side or chain-2 for the corners you just stick the hook through the corner of the other square first and pull the yarn through that as well as the loop on your hook :)

sorry for rambling, I'm a bit excited about this! (this pic is on here, lj, my blog and I sent it to my sister via facebook :D)
  • Options
    Are you still knitting too?
  • Options
    I'm still knitting but I'm crocheting at the moment to use up all my scrap yarn :)

Might start my socks tonight...
  • Options
    Some questions for my granny square blanket!

Is it worth blocking the squares or does it not really matter when it's all in the blanket?

How much yarn should I buy to egde and sew up the squares - I have no idea! I'll have to edge about 50 5in squares, sew them up and then a few rows round the edges. I'm using dk yarn. How do I even begin to work this out!
  • Options
    Ta-da:
    P6112254.jpg
  • Options
    Wow that was really fast! I've only done about 20 squares! LOL! How big is it? It's lovely :)
  • Options
    It's only about 20 inches squared, there are 49 granny squares and then 6 rows of granny edging. I did it all on a 3mm hook so it's very dense, I think it would probably be bigger if I'd used a bigger hook though. :)
  • Options
    It's only about 20 inches squared, there are 49 granny squares and then 6 rows of granny edging. I did it all on a 3mm hook so it's very dense, I think it would probably be bigger if I'd used a bigger hook though. :)

Ah yeah I'm using a 5mm hook which is a bit big for some of the yarn I'm using (because I'm using all different weights), I wish I'd used 4.5mm but never mind!

It's lovely anyway, the colours are very pretty. It looks nice and cosy. Are you adding any more to it or keeping it little?
  • Options
    I'm keeping it little, I'm going to give it to my sister and it's her birthday on Saturday. I'm planning a bigger one though, in lots of different colours - I have just orderd the yarn, can't wait for it to arrive.

how many squares have you done now?
  • Options
    I'm keeping it little, I'm going to give it to my sister and it's her birthday on Saturday. I'm planning a bigger one though, in lots of different colours - I have just orderd the yarn, can't wait for it to arrive.

how many squares have you done now?

Only 22 squares, am trying to get the smokey smell out the new yarn - and am busy with hat and socks on the knitting needles at the mo!

What yarn did you order - colours etc! Are you going to do the same type of squares?
  • Options
    this is my new yarn: http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/littletinbird/newyarn.jpg (:D) I took lots of photos of it to put it on my blog, how sad.

I've done 4 squares this evening alone! It's the excitement of not having had any yarn for a few days. I am trying to make this: http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2009/06/in-love.html because it's just so lovely and colourful. Also, it turns out that I'm HOPELESS at choosing my own colours :( and so I am just copying other people's at the moment. Hopefully one day I will be able to choose colours that are not ugly together :yes:
  • Options
    this is my new yarn: http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/littletinbird/newyarn.jpg (:D) I took lots of photos of it to put it on my blog, how sad.

I've done 4 squares this evening alone! It's the excitement of not having had any yarn for a few days. I am trying to make this: http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2009/06/in-love.html because it's just so lovely and colourful. Also, it turns out that I'm HOPELESS at choosing my own colours :( and so I am just copying other people's at the moment. Hopefully one day I will be able to choose colours that are not ugly together :yes:

That yarn is gorgeous - how much is it per ball? Did you get the same colours/type as the blog?

I am still trying to desmoke mine - it's hanging up in loose skiens but it's still yucky, think I'm going to have to wash it. It's annoying because I want to use it! I'm impatient!
  • Options
    Also, it turns out that I'm HOPELESS at choosing my own colours :( and so I am just copying other people's at the moment. Hopefully one day I will be able to choose colours that are not ugly together :yes:

I think a lot of it is just personal preference. It's easier buying it in person - pick up one of every colour, smoosh them all together and see if you like it. Whether other people like it is neither here nor there!
  • Options
    I couldn't find anywhere in Leeds that sold it. I did embarrass myself by going to what I now realise is a Sirdar shop and asking if they stocked it though. the market one didn't have any either.

I just thought that if I'm going to spend money on it, I want it to look nice and the one on that blog does, so I thought I'd just do the same/similar. I mean, it's only my second attempt! colours generally don't come naturally to me though, it's not limited to yarn.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    John Lewis. Do you have one in Leeds? They stock Rowan / Debbie Bliss etc.
  • Options
    No, no John Lewis.

:(

Guess I'll have to come to Sheffield with you!
  • Options
    No, Leeds is appalling for yarn supplies, considering the size of it, and also that's it's located in the textile centre of Britain. Tut. There are a lot round Bradford area, but you generally need a car and to know where you're going! We've a good shop in Barns, but it's teeny!

I've done a similar thing at the Sirdar shop before, but in my defence, they do stock Patons and also Woolcraft, so it's not the stupidest of questions!
  • Options
    Honestly, London is pretty shit for them as well. I was just in the US and every supermarket has a craft section with a massive range of Caron / Patons, etc. All you can get in C. London is the expensive stuff that costs a small fortune. :grump:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Damn you all. I have just started a little granny square afghan for babba! I blame you all :p
  • Options
    Damn you all. I have just started a little granny square afghan for babba! I blame you all :p

I succumbed a few days ago :(

Currently got a giant granny square afghan getting up to about a foot square.
  • Options
    I want to make a giant granny blanket (not for giant grannies) for my sister's friend, who is having a baby at roughly the same time as littlemissy is, but I'm unsure what yarn to use. Patons Baby Arran is dead cheap for loads, is that appropriate? You'd think that the clue would be in the name but I just want to check :D
  • Options
    I want to make a giant granny blanket (not for giant grannies) for my sister's friend, who is having a baby at roughly the same time as littlemissy is, but I'm unsure what yarn to use. Patons Baby Arran is dead cheap for loads, is that appropriate? You'd think that the clue would be in the name but I just want to check :D

I'm making mine in cheapo acrylic for machine washability! I might give it to my cousin, who is due any time now, but then again might just keep it for my future self! :cool:

Yarns with baby in the name are usually softer than their normal counterparts, and in pastelly baby colours, but other than that, it's really just a matter of preference. If the blanket is meant to spend a lot of time next to the baby's skin, the softer the better, and probably cotton mixes or synthetics are best, cause there's always the risk of allergy with real wool. If it's just going to be used over clothes (car seat blanket, etc) then really whatever you like best is fine! Although I would recommend that it be machine washable, cause babies create a whole lot of mess.
  • Options
    so would that patons baby arran be ok to make a baby blanket? she doesn't know I'm going to do one and I don't really mind at all what she uses it for, probably just for over clothes though I would imagine :)
  • Options
    Just a quick update on the progress of Giant Granny, while I'm taking pics of things.

With my toes for scale:

3679639818_a0fc0df07f.jpg