Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

No copper to be charged over De Menezes' killing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5186050.stm

Well what a surprise!

In fact the only surprise is that they didn't choose to disclose these findings this Saturday instead, to mark the first anniversary of his death in style.

And Ian Blair can continue to sit happily in his chair.

Trebles all around!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was a bit uneasy about the shooters possibly being charged, because they were told it was solid information. And although I dont like it they were following orders.

BUT - the whole operation was badly managed and was totally uselessly lead, and thats where charges should have been laid.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I was a bit uneasy about the shooters possibly being charged, because they were told it was solid information. And although I dont like it they were following orders.

BUT - the whole operation was badly managed and was totally uselessly lead, and thats where charges should have been laid.

ITA.
  • Options
    And of course Sir Ian did mislead the public after the event, either by the fault of being useless at his post or lying.

So either he's a fool or a liar - either way he should be thrown out of office.
  • Options
    I would have been content with just him going- he's certainly more deserving to be charged than the coppers who pulled the trigger.

Though some of the coppers involved (the ones doing the surveillance for instance) are certainly guilty of gross negiglence IMO.
  • Options
    Seems the right decision to me. Police command, control, communications and intelligence broke down. There was no-one individual at fault and the prosecution of individuals wouldn't serve a thing apart from appeasing some people's wish for a witch-hunt.

That said there's still a different case to answer over the altering of the log, leaks from the police and the frankly contempible decision not to prosecute the IPPC leaker.
  • Options
    What about the guy that said he was taking a leak when he should have been on the job?

The whole affair makes the police look like they're too stupid to do their jobs

Back then their excuse was everythign was moving so fast, bombs had just gone off in London, etc

However the recent incident where they needed 250 police officers to arrest 2 men (shooting one of them inthe shoulder) they'd been watching for sometime shows even with all the time in the world and all the resources they can't make good decisions.
  • Options
    Personally i think the decision made to shoot De Menezes was spot on. Everyone seems quick to say the police showed bad judgement, they're useless, unprofessional etc. but there are no winners in that kind of situation. The police were going on (what they thought were) solid leads! If they did nothing and let the guy get on the tube in peace and it turned out he was a terrorist who knows what could have happened.
    If the bombings of 7/7 had been stopped by the police would anyone be compaining? no, of course not. So why complain now, when the feds are trying to stop these attacks from happening before they get chance to.
  • Options
    Except of course it wasnt a proper identification and it was badly planned and handled survailence.

On that basis anyone who lives in the same block of flats as someone suspected of being a terrorist is also a suspect and therefore are fair game.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but there are also questions regarding the actual shooting. Even the Israelis (who gave advice to the Met regarding suicide bombers) said they would have not shot De Menezes in such circumstances. He had no rucksack; he was wearing only a thin-as-a-Rizzla small denim jacket that was open. Where was he carrying the bomb, up his arse? He made no threatening moves towards them. He did not run. Yet he was grabbed and carefully shot in the head 7 times from point blank range.

Aside from that there is of course the deliberate misleading information and statements and outright lies delivered to the public after the shooting by our fine Police Commissioner.

And the prior negiglence by those in charge of identifying possible suspects. One is taking a leak, the other thinks De Menezes must be one of the bombers because he has 'Mongolian eyes'.

This was one monumental fuck up, in every step of the way. Yet not a single person will face charges.

It's a sad joke.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Personally i think the decision made to shoot De Menezes was spot on. Everyone seems quick to say the police showed bad judgement, they're useless, unprofessional etc. but there are no winners in that kind of situation. The police were going on (what they thought were) solid leads! If they did nothing and let the guy get on the tube in peace and it turned out he was a terrorist who knows what could have happened.
    If the bombings of 7/7 had been stopped by the police would anyone be compaining? no, of course not. So why complain now, when the feds are trying to stop these attacks from happening before they get chance to.

Nope it was a cock-up - no doubts about that. He wasn't a terrorist and wasn't armed.

Where I differ from others is that I don't think its an individual to blame. There weren't enough people doing the suveillance (which is a resources issue), control and communications broke down to the extent where a possible suspect was passed to the shooters as a probable suspect. And they were told they were on the way to deal with a suicide bomber.

There's plenty of failures in the operation, but given that no-one individual is to blame it seems wrong to prosecute (and jail) someone for it.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    There's plenty of failures in the operation, but given that no-one individual is to blame it seems wrong to prosecute (and jail) someone for it.
    In such cases shouldn't the individual or individuals in charge be prosecuted?

Or at the very very very least kicked out of their post?

At the end of the day that's what usually happens in the business world (and sometimes in politics) when there is a major fuck up. The chap at the top gets it- it comes with the job.
  • Options
    I see the police have learnt from New Labour and Lord Hutton about how to deliver whitewashes instead of real reports. Had the IPCC done their job, Sir Ian Blair would by now have been sacked, the officers who shot him will be dragged into court to explain why they murdered an innocent man, and the Metropolitan Police would be facing the biggest compensation claim in years. As it stands, nobody is punished for anything. It stinks. How typical.
  • Options
    Is it time for a gun amnesty for all direct and indirect employees of the corporation "H.M. Government" ?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    In such cases shouldn't the individual or individuals in charge be prosecuted?

Or at the very very very least kicked out of their post?

At the end of the day that's what usually happens in the business world (and sometimes in politics) when there is a major fuck up. The chap at the top gets it- it comes with the job.

I'd support Blair* getting the sack - but I struggle to see why he should be prosecuted.

* actually both Blairs getting the sack.
  • Options
    icey wrote:

Where EXACTLY does your solid leads info come from?

The police found the address of a place in London on one of the bombers a few days earlier - scribbled down on a piece of paper - is that what you call solid lead?

The address just happened to be of a entire block of several flats, not one flat but lots of flats ..

They followed someone who had darker then average skin out of one of the flats, allowed him to catch a London bus and then to enter the London Underground and then shot him in the head in a confined space.

If they'd simply arrested him on him his front door step and searched him none of this would have ever happened.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    The police were going on (what they thought were) solid leads! If they did nothing and let the guy get on the tube in peace and it turned out he was a terrorist who knows what could have happened.

It's people like you that let these vermin get away with this.

If Menezes was such a credible terrorist threat then why wasn't he shot 45 minutes before he was? If he was such a fucking danger he should have been shot on his doorstep.

Why was he allowed to ride around on the top deck of a bus for 30 minutes- after all, its not like they'd blown a bus up or anything?

Why was he allowed to calmly walk through the tube station, and then only shot- not once, but eight times (of which five missed- wtf?) once he was safely on the train?

I don't expect any answers from you, or anyone else who thinks that because the police did it it must be right.

The staff who shot him should be up for manslaughter, and the intelligence staff who were too busy having a piss to monitor the flats properly should be up for manslaughter. The fact that they are not is not a surprise, my gammon steak will be flying onto my plate long before a copper will prosecute another copper.

As for the IPCC leak, they deserve a medal. I wouldn't expect those of us who believe in state secrets to understand that.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's people like you that let these vermin get away with this.
    If Menezes was such a credible terrorist threat...
    Exactly. If he was this bad terrorist that was about to blow up the underground, why not raid his house at night and... no, wait, the Met cocked that up later on too, didn't they?
  • Options
    This story again? One death... massive hype over it. Deaths world wide thanks to islamists.... oh leave the muslims alone, they are very very hard done by.

On a serious note, I would like this story to finally go away. Yes it didn't go right (the incident), but you're not the police and I'm not either. they have a job to do and that's to protect us from criminals. let them do their job!

It kills me how the Brazilian government vows to do more for the family. Their government is whiter than white isn't it. :rolleyes:

Why don't their sort out their own corrupt authorities instead of trying to get one back at the British government. It's a game to them.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    This story again? One death... massive hype over it. Deaths world wide thanks to islamists.... oh leave the muslims alone, they are very very hard done by.
    Any occasion is a good one to have a pop at your least favourite people eh?

Do stay on topic if you will.
    On a serious note, I would like this story to finally go away. Yes it didn't go right (the incident), but you're not the police and I'm not either. they have a job to do and that's to protect us from criminals. let them do their job!
    They fucked up. They killed an innocent man. Someone should pay the price. Anyone else, from any other profession or walk of life, would pay the price if they killed a person through negiglence.
    It kills me how the Brazilian government vows to do more for the family. Their government is whiter than white isn't it. :rolleyes:
    So what?
    Why don't their sort out their own corrupt authorities instead of trying to get one back at the British government. It's a game to them.
    Who gives a shit?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

They fucked up. They killed an innocent man. Someone should pay the price. Anyone else, from any other profession or walk of life, would pay the price if they killed a person through negiglence.
    We're at war, they are bound to 'fuck up' as you put it. It's not going to be perfect you know. Stand by.
    Aladdin wrote:
    So what?

Who gives a shit?
    They are a bunch of hyprocrites thats what!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    We're at war, they are bound to 'fuck up' as you put it. It's not going to be perfect you know. Stand by.
    Are you totally deranged?

Are we at war? That's news to the entire country, believe me.

Moreover, is the police at war? It'd be the first time the Met is at war with anyone.

Stop making excuses.
    They are a bunch of hyprocrites thats what!
    Rather irrelevant to the actual killing and the policemen involved escaping charges don't you think?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Are you totally deranged?

Are we at war? That's news to the entire country, believe me.

Moreover, is the police at war? It'd be the first time the Met is at war with anyone.

Stop making excuses.
    We are war with islamic extremism right now didn't you know?
    Aladdin wrote:
    Rather irrelevant to the actual killing and the policemen involved escaping charges don't you think?
    But if the brazilian government was our coppers done for that.... aint they bloody hypocrites? dont their police kill children that are homeless, well have done in the past? They have got some cheek.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    We are war with islamic extremism right now didn't you know?
    No. We are not at 'war' with anyone Luke.
    But if the brazilian government was our coppers done for that.... aint they bloody hypocrites? dont their police kill children that are homeless, well have done in the past? They have got some cheek.
    Yes they do, though you would expect any government to act in the way it did. Most governments are hypocrities.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No. We are not at 'war' with anyone Luke.

I believe we are.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes they do, though you would expect any government to act in the way it did. Most governments are hypocrities.
    My point was though, that the brazlians have cheek criticing us, when they have lower standards than us.
  • Options
    We are not at 'war' Luke. A country cannot be at war against individuals. Do you actually understand what 'war' means?

And even if we were at war, the police certainly isn't at war with anyone. That's a job for the army.

The killing was inexcusable and charges should have been brought.

End of.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    We are not at 'war' Luke. A country cannot be at war against individuals. Do you actually understand what 'war' means?

And even if we were at war, the police certainly isn't at war with anyone. That's a job for the army.

The killing was inexcusable and charges should have been brought.

End of.
    We're not at war with a individual, we are at war with a world wide terror organisation that hates our way of life and want to change us.

the police do have a role to play, they must protect the public from the terrorists as some are in this country,. the army can't possible do this as they have other jobs to do
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    We're not at war with a individual, we are at war with a world wide terror organisation that hates our way of life and want to change us.
    Oh yeah? How come the 7/7 attacks were conducted by four individuals that weren't part of any such organisation?
    the police do have a role to play, they must protect the public from the terrorists as some are in this country,. the army can't possible do this as they have other jobs to do
    There have been terrorism in this country for decades. Yet you never saw the police fucking up survelleance through gross negiglence and shooting an innocent man 7 times in the head with dum-dum bullets.

No excuses. No 'buts'.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Oh yeah? How come the 7/7 attacks were conducted by four individuals that weren't part of any such organisation?
    How do you know? they have the same ideology, like Hezbollah, they're all very similar and linked.

[QUOTE=Aladdin
    There have been terrorism in this country for decades. Yet you never saw the police fucking up survelleance through gross negiglence and shooting an innocent man 7 times in the head with dum-dum bullets.

No excuses. No 'buts'.[/QUOTE]There has been terrorism but the IRA is a different kind. I've said this ebfore, it's not world wide, it's aims are different, it's not as bigetc
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    How do you know? they have the same ideology, like Hezbollah, they're all very similar and linked.
    Yeah that's right. They must belong to Hezbollah mustn't they? Same colour of skin and that... and they wore towels on their heads too.
    There has been terrorism but the IRA is a different kind. I've said this ebfore, it's not world wide, it's aims are different, it's not as bigetc
    The fact remains the police fucked up through gross negiglence. No excuses. No 'buts'.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yeah that's right. They must belong to Hezbollah mustn't they? Same colour of skin and that... and they wore towels on their heads too.
    I never said they belonged to that group. I said they had the same ideology. They can be any colour. I'm not interested in that.
    Aladdin wrote:
    The fact remains the police fucked up through gross negiglence. No excuses. No 'buts'.
    They made a mess yes, but why keep bringing it up after 12 months? The clock can't be turned back. Let it pass and move on.