Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Demonising fat people

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You seem to spend plenty of time flirting with go_away :D

I'm not saying I consider these people my "friends" as such, but I care and respect for them as I would any person I came across in the street or so on.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    You seem to spend plenty of time flirting with go_away :D

I'm not saying I consider these people my "friends" as such, but I care and respect for them as I would any person I came across in the street or so on.

:lol:

Gym bunny mentality ;) All innocent. Strangely enough, we actually know some of the same people... :)
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Unless I know somebody in real life, no I don't class them as a friend, nor do I really care too much about them. Banter etc is good, but friendship? No.

It's the internet, it's not part of my real life. I just don't class the two as the same thing, although I do get temporarily involved in threads - as we all do. Once done with it, that's it! Nice and easy :D

its not like the words just appear on the screen out of nowhere.
    Every one of these posts is written by a real person with feelings (except for Ricardo of course) If you dont even count them as real what is the point?
  • Options
    its not like the words just appear on the screen out of nowhere.
    Every one of these posts is written by a real person with feelings (except for Ricardo of course) If you dont even count them as real what is the point?

Because I don't know them.

It's a way to keep detached or you get far too caught up, as I think many people do on here.

On an unrelated note - I just scored two tickets to the Kanye West gig for tonight :D
  • Options
    Really though, if you could provide the examples of me not giving an open response to a challenge, I would appreciate it.
    I didn't say, or meant to imply, that you didn't give an open response, rather about the type of response you gave, continually defending -"justifying"- more accurately, your reasons to be repulsed by obese people.

But hey, since this is all just words, why bother, eh? :yeees:
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »

But hey, since this is all just words, why bother, eh? :yeees:

Pretty much! :thumb:

ETA - seriously though, if our views are so very opposing, there is not much point in discussing it much further as we just won't see eye to eye.
  • Options
    On an unrelated note - I just scored two tickets to the Kanye West gig for tonight :D
    As did I, 2 tickets this afternoon! :D
  • Options
    Ricardo R wrote: »

This would be sooooooooooo funny if we ended up in seats next to each other :lol:
  • Options

Commiserations to both of you.
  • Options
    Commiserations to both of you.

Aye - not really a fan but I know the girl I am dating likes them so thought 'why not' :) Will be good to get to a gig too.
  • Options
    This would be sooooooooooo funny if we ended up in seats next to each other :lol:
    You'd have no idea either, I come across as the nicest person in the world in real life!!
  • Options
    You'd have no idea either, I come across as the nicest person in the world in real life!!

So do I! :lol:
  • Options
    wow, it really is nothing like the internet then eh?
  • Options
    play nice people ;)
  • Options
    Unless I know somebody in real life, no I don't...really care too much about them.

And sadly I think that is the biggest issue in this thread, and in the boards in general.

There are some very vulnerable people on these message boards, and regardless of whether you know them, some empathy would be appreciated. There have been a few people who have been reduced to tears because of what has been written by you and others; it's something you should bear in mind. It may just be the internet for you, it may not count to you, but some people don't have the mental strength to let it lie.

Nobody is asking to "lie", as you put it, but I don't think these boards are the appropriate place to go on about being "repulsed" by overweight people. You need to choose your words more carefully.

It's interesting, though, how everyone seems to think it acceptable to brand people lazy layabouts because they are overweight. It is too simplistic to say that they should eat less and exercise more. It's accurate, but it's as helpful as telling a self-harmer to just put down the goddamn knife. It is belittling, and it reinforces the images of fat people as worthless failures. And being constantly told you are worthless is enough to make anyone reach for the cream cakes.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    play nice people ;)

:lol:

To be honest, I don't think I come across too badly 95% of the time, but now and again my views don't quite match those of the majority.

Certainly not going to take offence at something on the internet from somebody I don't know though :)
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Ricardo, do you even have friends in real life? Going by how fussy you are about their looks and appearance, I'm assuming not. I could understand if it was in regards to a girl you wanted to pull (because I'm not attracted to overweight men, I have nothing against them, I'm just not attracted to them) but picking and choosing your friends based on their weight? Thats just weird!
    It's not so much "picking and choosing" because I rarely come across overweight people in the first place - there were very few at my uni (where interviews were required to get in, for which looks matter), same for the places I go to etc. All the people I hang out look presentable, necessary for the sort of jobs they do. We're not all 'beautiful people', we're what I'd think are a normal-looking bunch of grads in London.
  • Options
    This thread is just horrible.

It's amazing how people are 'repulsed' by overweight people and then sorry to mention names but in particular I noticed KHSS reply to someone in a jokey fashion something along the lines of 'oh you'd be repulsed by me then :p' and rather than clearing up the issue the repulsee was all smiles.

Oh and then stupid patronising sidelines of so called encouraging the other posters to exercise. You may as well just be poking them with a stick whilst jogging alongside them saying 'run fatty run' followed by the obligetary smiley of course :)

I think some of you should actually thank Ricardo for diverting the spotlight of shame away from yourselves.

Of course that is just my opinion :)
  • Options
    I think some of you should actually thank Ricardo for diverting the spotlight of shame away from yourselves.

And you've hit the nail on the head there.

My views largely coincide with what suzy has said on the matter.

Some of the words used in this thread have been disgusting. Some of the people should know better.
  • Options
    I want to make a point here, and this is purely my opinion so some of you arent going to agree at all, but yeah..what's shocked and confused me is that our society needs to have a debate over how we should treat people who are fat (if i'm right).. And seriously, why should we need to?

Be as fat as you like, it's your choice. Find the mediums to be slim, if you want to be. Eat what you like, and like I said, be the size you want to be - noone should ever look at a 'fat' person and think, well I'm not going to 'associate' with them becuase of their size.Well, I wouldn't want to 'associate' with someone with that opinion. I don't have any time for it.. Being fat has nothing to do with who you are..a person can be seen as good due to their personality - a person can be as skinny as anything, and be a complete asshole..

A good friend of mine is overweight, and she's the one of the happiest people I know, and has many friends. I'm overweight by at least 2 stone - it doesn't bother me, I'll lose weight only when I want to, not because society feels I should have to!!!

I'm going to get my head bitten off now haha!!!!!
  • Options
    The cost to the NHS is a bit of a non-starter, too. Like smokers, people who are overweight put more in than they take out. But besides, anyone who does anything is potentially costing the NHS money; if I fall off my bike and break my leg, I cost the NHS money to fix me, and I cost my employer money whilst I'm off ill.

Those who do more extreme activities, like riding a motorcycle, rock-climbing, skiing and so on, cost more money. They certainly don't pay for the cost of their treatment.
  • Options
    It's not so much "picking and choosing" because I rarely come across overweight people in the first place - there were very few at my uni (where interviews were required to get in, for which looks matter), same for the places I go to etc. All the people I hang out look presentable, necessary for the sort of jobs they do. We're not all 'beautiful people', we're what I'd think are a normal-looking bunch of grads in London.

So obese people can't present themselves properly? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't think I come across too badly 95% of the time, but now and again my views don't quite match those of the majority.

I'm going to say this one more time, because I'm sick of you twisting it no matter how many times people make the point to you.

It isn't your views that are a problem here, it's your inability to express them in a way that doesn't offend other people. It's your deliberate choice of the most offensive terms for what you are expressing.
  • Options
    But the demonisation of fat people IS a recent thing. Its not something thats evolved and it IS entirely cultural. What we at the moment as being signs of good health, slim, tanned, were previous indicators of being poor. Someone pale and white was seen as someone rich and healthy. The "ideal" body shape has changed and changed throughout the ages, which indicates it isnt an evolutionary thing to dislike certain shapes.
    a pear shape is the healthiest shape there is, yet by western white standards at least its seen to be one of the least desirable

The widespread existance of fat people is a relatively recent thing too. I think you're right in what you describe, but I think what you demonstrate is a conflict of finding certain evolutionary benefits desirable. Like I said, looks are only one aspect of finding people "attractive" or valuing them as such. Another hugely important one is social status. It makes excellent evolutionary sense to ally yourself with a person of high social status, and in many cases, this will be more important than their looks. That's why an ugly rich man would never have problems getting a date. And that's why in certain cultures in the past, being fat has been an external indicator of this social status (like in our culture, it's nice cars, expensive clothes and being very slim). Currently, therefore, you have a combination of fat being generally unattractive in the physical sense, and an indicator of lower social status. It's like a double whammy. But to deny the biological causes, you'd also have to demonstrate that an (obviously physically) anorexic person wouldn't be the subject of the same levels of repulsion.

Oh and I'd just like to say that looking for, and discussing evolutionary reasons for things isn't the same thing as justifying it morally. I'm sure I could come up with evolutionary reasons for rape, infanticide, and various other morally unjustifiable things. Doesn't make it wrong to talk about in an objective way.
  • Options
    Meh, stick a fork in me, I'm done!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    The views I've expressed are about fat people, thats what I thought we were talking about. Not those that are little overweight or have some different shape like pear or apple - people are naturally different shapes and a lot of poeple are healthier actually being heavier. People can't be fat and healhty though.

If you one to say that your fat and happy about it then in all honestly I think your either a liar or a little foolish. I admire the attitiude that you don't give a fuck what other people think, but what about your health. You wanna die younger and suffer life long diseases?

One of my best mates is naturally a huge fucker with a huge gut - he'll never be any other shape. He exercises daily though and because of that he's healthy - and surely that's the most important thing.
    Unless you have some physicalo disability that prevents you from excersise than I really see no good excuse for dodging it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    well really it was about fat people being demonised in society, as though they are bad people for being fat.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Welll they're not morally currupt just for being fat.

But I think there is some justifictaion in the "Why don't they do something about it?' attitude . I used to get it all the time as a smoker and I think it was justified.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    99.9% of people i.e. those without a medical condition
    You think only 0.1% of people have medical conditions that prevent them from losing weight effectively? That's surely an underestimate.
  • Options
    Where the hell did you go to uni if there were no overweight people there? And how dare you imply that fat people won't get through interviews.
This discussion has been closed.