Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Demonising fat people

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    OK Skive I know it seems obvious to you, but on packets of hormonal contraceptives etc, one of the listed side effects is weight gain.
    Anecdotally for me (although its barely an isolated case) When I came off hormonal contraception I lost over a stone in a matter of weeks without doing anything different. I wasnt eating less, I wasnt exercising more, I just didnt have all those extra hormones floating about. All my times of being bigger discounting pregnancies, has been when ive been on a hormonal contraceptive.

being a stone over your 'ideal' weight isn't that bad though, I was 10 stone 3, I am now 9 st 3 (lost it through stress) I looked ok a stone heavier. What I mean to say is that if someone who is 2 stone or 3 stone over weight is blaming it on their contraceptive then I would be inclined to think that they were lying to themselves a little. If you are several stone over-weight then it's surely got to be down to more calories going in that being used?
  • Options
    its not "that bad" to be overweight at all. its hardly a crime is it.
    Thats the point.
  • Options
    byny wrote: »
    If you are several stone over-weight then it's surely got to be down to more calories going in that being used?

But that's just the biology of the issue, it's not the reason. The biology behind why someone has starved to death is that they didn't eat enough calories - it's not the reason.
  • Options
    *Yawn* this thread is getting tedious now.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    But that's just the biology of the issue, it's not the reason. The biology behind why someone has starved to death is that they didn't eat enough calories - it's not the reason.

sure.... that's partly what I am saying in a way (sorry Yerascrote for boring you further).... it's people who try to blame it on something else rather than look at the reasons why and try toi understand them and try to do something (The ones who moan and moan and moan about it...)

As for blaming obesity on things like the pill, even in a small way - that's just rediculous.

it's trying to find reasons not to do something to address the situation that I find weird.
  • Options
    its not "that bad" to be overweight at all. its hardly a crime is it.
    Thats the point.

While it may not be 'bad' for the individual the overweight person if they choose to be, it doesn't mean the rest of us have to like it.

EDIT: It's pretty much the same as dressing like a ned; it's not a crime, but don't expect people to respect your choice or refrain from looking down on you and making snide comments.
  • Options
    And equally don't forget why this website is here. You choose to engage with this charity and board as a place people can find support for issues they may be dealing with. So I'll say it again for those who haven't read the rest of the thread.

This thread has already upset and hurt a number of people on a very personal level. So don't forget that just because you hold a personal view that may be offensive to others doesn't grant you the right to post about it in an offensive way.
  • Options
    Oops... I pretty much just jumped from page 1 - 18 :v Although I meant no offence, more to the point of what's below;

EDIT: To quote lipsy from a few pages back...
    lipsy wrote: »
    I guess if smokers and drug users are demonised then why not demonise obese people? I guess it's all a lifestyle choice, people should mind their own business etc. Although it's human nature to judge a bit..

She has a point. I don't see how fat people are any different from this. By taking drugs, I have absolutely no right to complain when people judge me for it - it's something I accept when this specific lifestyle choice was made. If your lifestyle choice is to go into town, order three burgers at McDonalds and a KFC bucket on the way home, you don't really have a right to complain when people judge you for that either.
  • Options
    And equally don't forget why this website is here. You choose to engage with this charity and board as a place people can find support for issues they may be dealing with. So I'll say it again for those who haven't read the rest of the thread.

This thread has already upset and hurt a number of people on a very personal level. So don't forget that just because you hold a personal view that may be offensive to others doesn't grant you the right to post about it in an offensive way.

Apologies. Just to reiterate I was originally agreeing with the person who specifically said they got annoed by overweight people who continually moan about it but don't accept that there are things they can do to improve their weight issues. That's all.

I have had an anorexic sister, I have lost a large amount of weight in the last few months due to a change of circumstance. I do understand how weight issues can be influenced my your mental health. So sorry if I offended.
  • Options
    I'm not sure either of you actually have - just wanted to point out how this thread has gone so far for those just joining it, and make you aware of some of the issues that have come up :)
  • Options
    byny wrote: »
    As for blaming obesity on things like the pill, even in a small way - that's just rediculous.

I wasnt blaming obesity on the pill, but i was saying there are biological reasons why some people are predisposed to weight gain more than others. There ARE medications that make people gain weight when eating the same amount of food as they would have maintained/lost at without the medication.
  • Options
    fairy nuff :)
  • Options
    Suzy - the meds may slow metabolism slightly but TBH those drugs are like steroids. If you eat lots and do weights you'll get big, do steroids you'll get bigger with the same food. So what's the key? eat less.. especially if you know your meds may affect you..

I think lipsy and Kiezo gave some good analogies regarding dressing like a ned/smoking, everyone is quick enough to knock smoking or "chavs" but as soon as its fat people its like some kind of taboo that can't even be frowned upon.
  • Options
    You think dressing like a goth or a chav is the same thing as having an eating disorder?

And beyond that - you think it's perfectly okay to insult people for what they wear?
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    She has a point. I don't see how fat people are any different from this. By taking drugs, I have absolutely no right to complain when people judge me for it - it's something I accept when this specific lifestyle choice was made. If your lifestyle choice is to go into town, order three burgers at McDonalds and a KFC bucket on the way home, you don't really have a right to complain when people judge you for that either.

I think the main point is - when you see an anorexic about to die from not eating most people would want to help someone get over an eating disorder. When someone sees someone who is morbidly obese they couldn't care less and it's just greed.

Or are you arguing that anorexia is a life-style choice?
  • Options
    You think dressing like a goth or a chav is the same thing as having an eating disorder?

And beyond that - you think it's perfectly okay to insult people for what they wear?

are you talking to me?
  • Options
    Well - yeah - you're saying it's fine to demonise people for what they wear aren't you CheeseonToast?
  • Options

That's assuming everyone who's overweight has an eating disorder, though.

It's not whether we think it's ok or not. In a perfect world, everyone would be understanding, but they aren't. I get some amount of shit from neds for what I wear, but I have to accept that because I'm the one that chooses to dress this way. I can't bitch and whine to people about how nasty they are and think it will matter. In the same way, if you choose to eat constant unhleathy garbage (ie, not an eating disorder), you can't really complain when people laugh at you.
  • Options
    No Jim, would you like to quote my post where I said "it's OK to demonise people for what they wear" because quite frankly I don't see it anywhere?

And secondly, if you re-read my post, you will see I used the word "chav" in quotes, I did this for a reason. I don't like the word chav and don't use it or agree with its principles, I also couldn't give a shit what anyone wears?

What my point was is that most people in the world, who I find generally small minded, do demonise people for what they wear, and on the same front, demonise fat people.

And my point is that I that there are a lot of people in this thread trying to say that because it doesn't affect anyone else or it's not a crime so we shouldn't care.. but I would be willing to bet money that they are the same people that knock goths/chavs/smokers/pot heads

etc.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    It's not whether we think it's ok or not. In a perfect world, everyone would be understanding, but they aren't. I get some amount of shit from neds for what I wear, but I have to accept that because I'm the one that chooses to dress this way. I can't bitch and whine to people about how nasty they are and think it will matter. In the same way, if you choose to eat constant unhleathy garbage (ie, not an eating disorder), you can't really complain when people laugh at you.

And again - you aren't making any effort to define what you mean by choose - what you're basically saying is that someone who eats a lot, even to the point of killing them, just needs to pull their socks up. Someone who doesn't eat however has a mental health problem or issues with their relationship to food?

So why the difference?

And this thread is entirely about whether people think it's okay or not to demonise people for being fat (or what they wear) - that's the topic.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

Obviously it's not, and I don't think anybody has been suggesting that. Not all fat people haveing eating dissorders though.

I don't think it's okay to insult anybody on the way they look, but I don't see what's wrong in being critical of people who choose to be unhealthy or at least choose to not to do anything about it.

I accept it as a drug taker and I accepted it as a smoker. I had an addiction to nicotine and got grief all the time for it, I think some of it was justified and that's why I chose to do something about.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Sorry cheese - when you said Kiezo gave a good anology, I read it as you agreeing with him on looking down on certain people for what they wear.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I accept it as a drug taker and I accepted it as a smoker. I had an addiction to nicotine and got grief all the time for it, I think some of it was justified and that's why I chose to do something about.

But the point is people's comments in this thread haven't been that some people may have problems, some people may have issues, some may just need to put more effort in.

You've said yourself that you see fat people as being fat because they are lazy and greedy. You haven't said some may have serious problems causing their weight issues.

This is what is meant by demonisation - no consideration of other factors but an assumption of the most negative possible stereotype with no suggestion of support or help that could be provided to help.
  • Options
    I'm crap at writing in debates lol

I don't think it's right to demonise anyone for anything, my friends and family are a bunch of gays/chavs/fat people :D lol

On another note though, lots of people get demonised for being 'fitness freaks' ;):p
  • Options
    And again - you aren't making any effort to define what you mean by choose - what you're basically saying is that someone who eats a lot, even to the point of killing them, just needs to pull their socks up.

I thought I'd made it clear what I meant by choose. As in, to have free choice. As in, not "forced" (for want of a better word) down a certain patch by an eating disorder. As in, you either choose to eat the deep fried chocolate cake or you don't.

But yeah, if the people who are fat through choice have a problem with being demonised, they need to pull their socks up and do something about it. The same as if I were to have a problem with neds shouting shit about the way I look, I'd need to 'pull my socks up' and change how I look. You can't change the opinions of the people that think it, so the much easier solution lies your end.

EDIT: I wasn't saying it's ok to look down on someone for what they wear, btw. Just that it happens, and there's not a damn thing you or I can do about it. No amount of threads on message boards, or articles on news websites will change that. It's just something you have to accept and quit whining about.
  • Options
    I'm crap at writing in debates lol

I don't think it's right to demonise anyone for anything, my friends and family are a bunch of gays/chavs/fat people :D lol

On another note though, lots of people get demonised for being 'fitness freaks' ;):p

Do they? ;)

'You fit cunt, you fit cunt...'
  • Options
    Do they? ;)

Aaah the fitness freaks though! I'd much rather have a conversation with a fat dude than a fitness freak dude. Those guys are crazy.
  • Options
    Haha, come on, people are always doing it.. in work the moment I whip a protein shake out the comments start followed by jokes and goads lol

Or if I say I'm going for a run on my lunch break etc

I was meant to doing an 8 mile cross country adventure next weekend but dropped out due to surgery tomorrow.. but anyway, half of the people we told thought it was OK and the other half thought we were weird .. I can't understand that.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You haven't said some may have serious problems causing their weight issues.

Your wrong. I have.
    Skive wrote:
    I realsie some people are genetically disposed to putting on weight and that food addiction is as real as any other,
    Skive wrote:
    I can see genuine reasons why people eat too much, addiction to food for what ever reason as I said before is as real as any other

But a lot of people on here would have us believing there's a fat virus, that every fat peron has a dissorder, that bnobody has any time to do a little activity a few times a week. Infact there seem to be so many causes for people being fat it's a wonder we all arn't.

The truth is there are a LOT of peope who are fat because they eat more than they need too and they don't put enough time into activity.
    Eating more than you need is greed in terms of food. Not a nice word but that's what it is. Not doign enough activity whilst still managing to watch every episode of eastenders is laziness. Of course if you want to do those things then fair play to you, but most can't be happy, and I really fail to see who wouldn't want to be healthy?
    Ok eating dissorders must be hell, but there really is no excuse for most people when it comes to activity. Most people who arn't active are like that because they don't like. Well most of the time I don't either just like I didn't like quitting nicotine but it had to be done.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    fair enough - I stand corrected, been a long tiring thread - so sorry for that
This discussion has been closed.