Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Demonising fat people

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I haven't "allowed" myself to be programmed and I wasn't referring to cultural progamming.

It is just my taste that I don't find severely obese people attractive, at the end of the day I am a fit person and I enjoy getting fit and strong.. I used to be lazy and overweight and I didn't like it or like how I looked, and I chose that for myself.

I love this quote -

"It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable" - Socrates 400BC
  • Options
    It is just my taste that I don't find severely obese people attractive, at the end of the day I am a fit person and I enjoy getting fit and strong.. I used to be lazy and overweight and I didn't like it or like how I looked, and I chose that for myself.
    C
    but it not being to your taste, isnt a reason for demonising someone.
    You chose to change how you looked - well good for you, but tbh, who gives a fuck (no offence) You look however you want to look and if you were happy being fat then all power to you for that as well
  • Options
    You chose to change how you looked - well good for you, but tbh, who gives a fuck (no offence) You look however you want to look and if you were happy being fat then all power to you for that as well

:heart: :yes: :heart:
  • Options
    lol

Curvy is nice .. and youre not fat..

but anyway.. hands up

Who finds this sexy?

attachment.php?attachmentid=30068&stc=1&d=1171470014

Seriously?

I am not doing it to look like a jerk, I just cannot find that sexy no way no how, and i cant understand how anyone can tbh, sorry but its just programmed in me.

Sorry... I'm quite sick of this now and if you're not trying to look like a jerk, you're not doing a very good job.

Why do people have to 'put their hands up'? To legitimise to you your own shallow prejudices?

Big deal she's a big girl, she doesn't conform to society's standards of beauty, but if you don't like the way she looks then just forget about it. I mean seriously, are you that uncomfortable that you have to put a woman's picture on a forum and then try to get people's confirmation that she's unattractive?

And for the record, I find some of the women on that site quite attractive.
  • Options

POTW!
  • Options

I agree with Lea, POTW. Thats a great way of looking at it.
  • Options
    Fucking hell, is this still going?

Suzy's said everything that needs to be said. POTW x3.
  • Options
    From what I saw (just this last page) I don't see how cheese on toast is demonising fat people though, he's just disagreeing that they're sexy. And arguably that's a prevelent view in society, so it's not just him having a go at fat people (which is what demonisation is, if I'm correct).

I don't think he was trying to pick on the woman in that picture, but rather prove his point. I think I've made my own perspective clear in a previous post so am not going to go over it again, but unless I've missed him calling obese people lazy scroungers or other unfounded criticisms (avoiding whoever said that lack of activity + poor diet = putting on weight, that's just common sense and there wasn't an implication that fat people were lazy just that the intake did not equal the use of energy) then it does seem a bit like he's getting picked on himself for his tastes.

Which seems peculiar because as I said, they're echoed probably by most people. Although not everyone has the same tastes, most people's tastes broadly fall in line in the same general direction.
  • Options

I don't see how I have demonised fat people either, I have fat friends, fat family, etc and I couldn't give a shit?

Was I saying fat people deserve you be demonised? No I wasn't

I was talking about a seperate point which is that I personally can't understand a physical attraction to someone so overweight, so what?
    Sorry... I'm quite sick of this now and if you're not trying to look like a jerk, you're not doing a very good job.

Why do people have to 'put their hands up'? To legitimise to you your own shallow prejudices?

And what "shallow prejudices" do I have exactly?

Here's news to you, not finding something attractive on a person doesn't make me shallow or mean I have prejudices..

If I said I found long hair disgusting and couldn't see how anyone found it attractive, or someone with piercings, you wouldn't be trying to launch an attack on me would you?
  • Options
    but the threads about how fat people are demonised in society, so you posting a pic of a fat woman and saying how hideous you think she is - well I guess I didnt realise you just meant it as a random comment that didnt relate to the thread
  • Options
    but the threads about how fat people are demonised in society, so you posting a pic of a fat woman and saying how hideous you think she is - well I guess I didnt realise you just meant it as a random comment that didnt relate to the thread

Hideous?

I don't see why everyone is queueing up to attack Cheese, he expressed an opinion. Deal with it.
  • Options

You clearly think I'm stupid.. well I'm not.

If you read the thread back you will see that my comments and the subsequent post came from and interaction between me and big gay guy or whatever, and I was trying to express and opinion and backup my point to that ..

What's the problem exactly?

I am more than entitled to post a pic of someone I consider sexy in other threads and comment on it aren't I? As I see doing a lot?

So what, we can say what we live but not what we dont?
  • Options
    And what "shallow prejudices" do I have exactly?

Here's news to you, not finding something attractive on a person doesn't make me shallow or mean I have prejudices..
    No it doesn't... But we're having a discussion about society demonising fat people. Posting a picture up of a larger woman and then saying "who finds this person sexy" is shallow and it's objectifying. But then this thread is about objectification I guess.
    If I said I found long hair disgusting and couldn't see how anyone found it attractive, or someone with piercings, you wouldn't be trying to launch an attack on me would you?
    I'm not launching an attack, I was asking questions. Why did you have to put a picture up of a woman and then ask people to 'put their hands up' if they find her sexy, then write 'seriously?' as if it's absurd to be attracted to the fuller figure?

To be honest, I have no issue with what your type is. We all have turn ons and turn offs and we should be free to express our own sexuality (consenting obv). We have a forum for this labelled 'Sex'.

This is a forum for debate and we were debating society's attitudes, not how it's unsexy to be fat. A larger woman could be reading this thread right now and could have been quite hurt by what you wrote tbh.

Anyway, I'm guessing we won't ever end up fighting over a woman in a bar as we have appear to have quite different taste. :razz:
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    No it doesn't... But we're having a discussion about society demonising fat people. Posting a picture up of a larger woman and then saying "who finds this person sexy" is shallow and it's objectifying. But then this thread is about objectification I guess.

I'm not launching an attack, I was asking questions. Why did you have to put a picture up of a woman and then ask people to 'put their hands up' if they find her sexy, then write 'seriously?' as if it's absurd to be attracted to the fuller figure?

Well TBH with the other persons posts as well it felt like I was being attacked which made me defensive..

This is a forum for debate and we were debating society's attitudes, not how it's unsexy to be fat. A larger woman could be reading this thread right now and could have been quite hurt by what you wrote tbh.

Right, and me and Big Gay are both part of society and are discussing the type of people we are attracted too... that's how the threads gone, I don't think it's a big deal, the threads here regularly go off on tangent ?

If a larger woman has been hurt by what I have said then of course that is sad, but that is how I feel>? I am not trying to be offensive as I have said because I don't like to hurt people but that is how I feel

If people are happy as you say then they wouldn't care.. and if they do care then it means they need to do something about it.. or am I wrong again?

But this comes back to the same point I made in the post above

If I had said that I find a certain piercing or tattoo revolting and I could never find that attractive on a girl .. (which I am sure would be the case with some things) .. then no one, including you, would be standing up saying

"OMG a person with a tattoo like that could be reading that and be hurt"

Come on, be honest, that would not happen would it?

People act like saying you don't like fat is a taboo, its like I can be unattracted or disgusted by anything.. except fat??

Being fat is not some big uncurable disease, it's not like im saying people in a wheelchair are disgusting ffs.
    'put their hands up' if they find her sexy, then write 'seriously?'

And in response to this, I wrong seriously, because I wanted people to genuinely tell the truth and answer if they did find her attractive as I was interested to see what % of people thought that.. nothing more, nothing less, but I can see how it may have been mis-read.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    and the one with the shaved head and full beard

He looks like the troll from Golden Axe. Seriously, I know a good looking guy when I see him, and I know a shitload of gay people. I don't think anyone in that picture would qualify as good looking in any of their books.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't think he was trying to pick on the woman in that picture, but rather prove his point.
    Namaste wrote: »

Yeah. It's not like he hunted down and maliciously posted the picture. She posted it on that (public) site of her own accord, in underwear no less. She knew fine well that by doing so she was leaving herself open to criticism, and that the majority of people who happen upon it would find it, well, disgusting. Whether I find it disgusting or not is another matter, but this is the internet. The very same internet with /b/tards from 4chan, GOONS from SomethingAwful, and general not nice people laugh and ridicule that kind of shit on a daily, nay, hourly basis.
  • Options
    If I had said that I find a certain piercing or tattoo revolting and I could never find that attractive on a girl .. (which I am sure would be the case with some things) .. then no one, including you, would be standing up saying

"OMG a person with a tattoo like that could be reading that and be hurt"

Come on, be honest, that would not happen would it?
    I don't think you can compare body mods with being obese. It is in no way comparible.
    Being fat is not some big uncurable disease, it's not like im saying people in a wheelchair are disgusting ffs.
    Tbh, I don't think anybody would say that because it's not PC and/or they'd be attacked. It isn't Ok to objectify somebody for the colour of their skin, for a disability or for a physical deformity, why is it Ok to do so because they have a health problem?

Not all big people choose to be the shape they are. People however, choose to get tattoos.
    And in response to this, I wrong seriously, because I wanted people to genuinely tell the truth and answer if they did find her attractive as I was interested to see what % of people thought that.. nothing more, nothing less, but I can see how it may have been mis-read.
    Why were you interested out of curiousity?
  • Options
    Just curious as I don't think it would be many?

On another note though, what is the difference between me stating I don't obese people attractive but a thread of yours about finding different races attractive? Some people don't like being black/white/mixed race but some people still have those opinions ?
  • Options
    I think the answer is in the nature of a certain thread, or what is being debated. To be fair, in a thread that questions whether people are justified in demonising fat people then posting an image of a fat person and saying 'come on, no one could find her attractive' gives of an implication that physical beauty should in some way be linked to treatment in society.

I don't think for one second that's what you intended to imply - that it would alright to treat someone badly because they look so unattractive - but I think people could see the post that way given the issues being discussed and what the thread is about.

It just seemed to pull the thread back towards issues of attractiveness, as if they that has some corrolation to acceptable treatment. But I think that's a misunderstanding.

For example, if the thread was about whether people who are black should be treated worse in society and then someone posted to say I don't find black people attractive there would be some confusion about what point was being made.
  • Options
    well if that thread had been about whether black people were discriminated against in society or demonised, and then someone came in and showed a picture of a black person saying "oh come on, surely noone could find this attractive" then I would think pretty much they were somehow trying to say that they thought there was a good reason they were discriminated against
  • Options
    Yeah I do understand that we went off in a tangent but as the other points seemed to be dead in the water and the other debates finished I didn't really see any harm in discussing other issues.

I should be more sensitive to it really, I just really wanted to see what peoples thoughts were etc for no real reason! lol

TBH it was only really the fact that Big Gay said in his world 24 stone was considered sexy is why I felt the need to ask.

I can understand people being attracted to different things, but I have never met anyone who has said that e.g. 24 stone is their type or what they find attractive and it seemed very strange to me.

Anyway, threads dead dude!:thumb:
  • Options
    well if that thread had been about whether black people were discriminated against in society or demonised, and then someone came in and showed a picture of a black person saying "oh come on, surely noone could find this attractive" then I would think pretty much they were somehow trying to say that they thought there was a good reason they were discriminated against

Some of your posts are very good, some of them are shit.

This is a shit one.

I along with others have clearly stated I went off on a tangent and was not discussing the points in the original thread so just get over it ffs.
  • Options
    I posted it before you had replied sorry. I started writing but didnt send it straight away and by the time i had, jim had already said it a lot better than me
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Is it OK to demonise fat people? No.

But I don't think OK to tell people that being fat is OK. It's not. It's unhealthy, it is unnatractive to most people, and people should be encouraged in the nicest way possible to stay fit and in shape.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    About the unhealthiness, a guy in House had an argument that sounded quite good to me. He said something like "If I was very athletic and spent my time mountain-climbing, would you try to stop me? It's not less likely that I'd die in that case."
  • Options
    If someone says, "Does this make me look fat?" to you, does anyone on here not automatically assume that they would consider the answer "yes" to be a negative thing? Or assume that if you did say yes, they would wear something else instead? I suspect no-one does. There are plenty of people not bothered about being fat, but I don't know of anyone who considers it to be a positive thing or something to aspire to.
  • Options
    About the unhealthiness, a guy in House had an argument that sounded quite good to me. He said something like "If I was very athletic and spent my time mountain-climbing, would you try to stop me? It's not less likely that I'd die in that case."

It's a poor argument because it uses an extreme. If you compare the life expectancy between someone who eats unhealthily and does no exercise compared to someone who does even moderate exercise and eats a balanced diet, in most cases the persons with exercise will live longer. The risk of most people who exercise of faller of a cliff is rather low.
  • Options
    But I don't know of anyone who considers it to be a positive thing or something to aspire to.

There's plenty. I can't count the number of times I've been stuck surfing daytime TV and happened upon a talk show with morbidly obese annoying black ghetto sluts running around the stage screaming bullshit like "FAT AND PROUD, BIG IS BEAUTIFUL!" in that annoying way they seem to have perfected. Or the women who aim to fit into the BBW culture, and the weird creepy guys who love it (not that being attracted to fat women is weird and creepy, but anyone who takes their perversions to the level of obsession that the BBW guys do aren't quite right in the head).

And for the people who keep using things like race and physical deformities as analogies; please stop. Things like that don't work since they are not chosen, when in alot of cases fat people "choose" to be fat (please, no semantics. If the only reason you're fat is you eat too much, that is choosing). That's why there's documentaries on TV about 'Chubby Chasers' and not about people who are attracted to black people; things such as the latter are considered "normal", whereas the former are not.

Fair enough if you're happy with how you look, and in a perfect world people wouldn't judge you for it. But this isn't a perfect world, this is the real world. The world where people do scream 'MAN THE HARPOONS!' at fatties, and where people throw cans of Irn-Bru at goffs as they walk down the street. The world where people laugh at cripples, and make fun of others' misfortune. If you're fat and do take offense to people judging and making fun of you, you know what to do. Like I said earlier in the thread, I take some amount of shit for the way I dress, but I have no right to bitch about it since that's the choice I made. If I was bothered about it, I too know what to do.

And yes, while some people may have medical reasons for being fat/obese, in most cases it only makes it harder than regular people to lose weight. There is still stuff you can do.
  • Options

I get people trying to put me off motorbikes all the time, just for the record. Hasn't worked yet though :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    that's just common sense and there wasn't an implication that fat people were lazy just that the intake did not equal the use of energy

You are a bit talking out of your arse though here, a fat person stays exactly the same size when the intake EXACTLY equals the use of energy.

I know it wasn't you who was saying that fat people were lazy, but just in case anyone was still thinking it: http://thebigballet.co.uk/ there are plenty of lazy thin and fat people; thin doesn't equal fit and fat doesn't equal lazy, it depends on the person.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    You are a bit talking out of your arse though here, a fat person stays exactly the same size when the intake EXACTLY equals the use of energy.

I know it wasn't you who was saying that fat people were lazy, but just in case anyone was still thinking it: http://thebigballet.co.uk/ there are plenty of lazy thin and fat people; thin doesn't equal fit and fat doesn't equal lazy, it depends on the person.

That's fine but fat people who don't have medical conditions to make them fat.. and then moan about it... are lazy
This discussion has been closed.