Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homeowner arrested after burglar falls from window.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What would you want the police to do to that person ?

arrest and convict them of burglary and provide a suitable punishment, perhaps a years worth of community service or worse if they're a repeat offender
  • Options
    And if he faces trial then his destiny is taken out of your hands (if it ever was in them in the first place).

Would you be content with ANY punishment the courts were to give him ?
  • Options
    No of course not. What on earth are you trying to get at? :confused::confused::confused:

As I've said many times already the present provisions and laws are perfectly fine.

Couldn't be simpler. Really.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    No of course not. What on earth are you trying to get at? :confused::confused::confused:

As I've said many times already the present provisions and laws are perfectly fine.

Couldn't be simpler. Really.

The Law is a joke, giving them a slap on the hand, or a fine that is not even close to what they stole and what they wont even pay
  • Options
    So the thousands of prisoners serving time for burglary in British prisons are there because...?
  • Options
    So the thousands of prisoners serving time for burglary in British prisons are there because...?

yeah, and how many of them spend less then a year inside and come out to do it all over again
  • Options
    And if he faces trial then his destiny is taken out of your hands (if it ever was in them in the first place).

Would you be content with ANY punishment the courts were to give him ?

You are seeker and I claim my reward...
  • Options
    Not sure the evidence is there for that - but I'd remind everyone that if you are banned then it is a life ban, and if evidence builds that someone is a returning banned user then they will recieve a ban again, and possible action will be taken to report them to their ISP.

On a side note, users should also remember that it's important to contribute to debates with their own views, not simply ask questions of other users, and that wider debates on issues such as 'what are courts' or 'the government are murderers' should have their own thread, not be used to derail discussions about particular issues.
  • Options
    It does sound like him does it not?
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    yeah, and how many of them spend less then a year inside and come out to do it all over again

So we should kill them yeah?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    So we should kill them yeah?

what about locking repeat offenders away for life?
  • Options

What about it.
  • Options
    If they do they get caught and jailed again, this time for longer.

That is the way society works and has since we started to evolved into a civilisation and away from barbarism.
  • Options

You gonna pay more taxes towards that?
  • Options
    You gonna pay more taxes towards that?

I hate taxes, but onje thing id be willing to pay for is more prisons and better sentences
  • Options
    I'd chase him, try to rugby tackle him and hold him and wait for the police to arrive.

Couldn't be simpler, really :confused:

Out of curisoity (not wanting to argue or anything like that) what would you do if the guy hit his head as you tackled him and died. How would you feel to having murder charges pressed against you.....?
  • Options
    I hate taxes, but onje thing id be willing to pay for is more prisons and better sentences

How about dealing with the issues that lead to crime? Wouldn't that be better?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Out of curisoity (not wanting to argue or anything like that) what would you do if the guy hit his head as you tackled him and died. How would you feel to having murder charges pressed against you.....?

That would be manslaughter, surely?
  • Options
    I'd be angry of course as it would have been a miscarriage of justice. Then again that is unlikely to happen as the law as it exists would not allow for it. In fact you don't hear many such cases happening.
  • Options
    How about dealing with the issues that lead to crime? Wouldn't that be better?

Depends who you're dealing with. If it's a drug user who needs the money for their habit, then yes try and treat them (although they still need to be punished for breaking the law in the first place).

However that still doesn't solve the problem of people who steal simply because they want more and don't want to pay for it. I can think of at least 5 on my area off the top of my head who are our most prolific theives but don't have a drug problem.
  • Options

You'd have to prove it was an accident first and not "punishment".
  • Options

Ha, manslaughter for rugby tackling a thief in order to protect whats rightfully yours and thus him accidentally hitting his head. Completely and utterly fair that is!
  • Options
    You'd have to prove it was an accident first and not "punishment".

how the hell could you do that though? Its your story against a dead persons smashed skull.
  • Options
    MancDan wrote: »
    how the hell could you do that though? Its your story against a dead persons smashed skull.

See the problem?
  • Options
    I'd have assumed it would still be reasonable force as you only tackled him and it was just bad luck he fell badly...
  • Options
    The fact remains that the law tends to always side with the homeowner unless there are very clear indications or suspicions of malice.

The hypothetical case above is disturbing. But the fact remains it does not happen. The only homeowners who get charged and prosecuted are those who have quite deliberately set to harm or kill the burglar.

The law is perfect as it is and no changed is required whatsoever.
  • Options
    I'd have assumed it would still be reasonable force as you only tackled him and it was just bad luck he fell badly...

So would anyone else, and as Aladdin says this is an extreme hypothetical case, but one that could still happen. It would be up to the CPS to prove murder, but at the same time you'd have to prove you didn't set out to murder him in revenge which is what the CPS could argue.
  • Options
    So would anyone else, and as Aladdin says this is an extreme hypothetical case, but one that could still happen. It would be up to the CPS to prove murder, but at the same time you'd have to prove you didn't set out to murder him in revenge which is what the CPS could argue.

I'd say it would be very doubtful they would go for a murder charge because they know the jury would side with the homeowner. They might try for a manslaughter charge, but even then they would know the jury wouldnt convict easily.

The flexibility of 'reasonable force' works very well because it allows for different situations.
  • Options
    I'd hope in any case where someone died there would be an investigation, even if it seems an open and shut case. If following this investigation the CPS thinks there is a case to answer they're perfectly right to take it to trial and let a jury decide.
  • Options
    I'd hope in any case where someone died there would be an investigation, even if it seems an open and shut case. If following this investigation the CPS thinks there is a case to answer they're perfectly right to take it to trial and let a jury decide.

And a jury is likely to be full of people who at least side with the householder if not are totally against the burglar.