Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homeowner arrested after burglar falls from window.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Full Story

A homeowner has been arrested and quizzed by police after an intruder he confronted during a burglary fell out of a fourth floor window. The burglar, 43, was left fighting for his life after he tumbled up to 40 feet when he was disturbed rifling through through the flat.

Whats your feelings on this subject ? (taking the story on face value)

Im of the opinion that any burglar who enters your home is 'fair game'.

I totally agree that any response should be reasonable i.e.. I dont think torturing the burglar once they are apprehended is acceptable, but if someone breaks into your property while you're home and tries to rob your possesions then they must expect the homeowner to defend themselves....

even if that does invlove throwing a burglar out the window to protect themselves and their family.

Thoughts :chin:

Comments

• Options
    I think once someone breaks into your home the rights of the Burglar should be hugely reduced .. i.e. right to sue the home owner for any injuries caused to themselves, etc.
  • Options
    If the police has reason to believe the burglar was deliberately pushed out of a window as a 'punishment' then the homeowner should indeed be arrested, charged with and sent to jail. There are no two ways about that.

If however the homeonwer was defending himself from an attack or believed his life was in serious danger from the presence of the burglar then he should have not been arrested at all.

It all depends on the circumstances. But one thing is clear: burglary does not give anyone the right to kill or purposedly maim others unless they're defending themselves or their familes.

*awaits for the Tony Martin Appreciation Society to come out of the woodwork*
  • Options
    It reminds me when of that farmer that was sent to jail for shooting someone that broke into his house, as far as i see it as fair game, i would have done it if it was my house.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    It reminds me when of that farmer that was sent to jail for shooting someone that broke into his house, as far as i see it as fair game, i would have done it if it was my house.

That's "Tony Martin" the Farmer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_%28farmer%29
  • Options
    DG wrote: »

thats the guy,
  • Options
    The guy who shot someone in the back when they were running away you mean? Who'd been prosecuted for firearms offences before? That Tony Martin?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    The guy who shot someone in the back when they were running away you mean? Who'd been prosecuted for firearms offences before? That Tony Martin?

the guy that was in his own house, on his own land, defending his property, I just think it’s a shame his second shot didn’t kill the other guy
  • Options
    the guy that was in his own house, on his own land, defending his property, I just think it?s a shame his second shot didn?t kill the other guy

The other guy sued him - think he was even given legal aid to do so.

That's the kinda thing I want to see ended - the rights of Burglars to sue for anything - if they make the decision to break into your home they should lose some rights at the door.
  • Options
    The other guy sued him - think he was even given legal aid to do so.

yeah and the case got thrown out
  • Options
    I think once someone breaks into your home the rights of the Burglar should be hugely reduced .. i.e. right to sue the home owner for any injuries caused to themselves, etc.

:yes:
  • Options
    yeah and the case got thrown out

Doesn't say that according to Wikipedia

Aftermath

The family of Fearon applied for, and received, an estimated £5,000 of legal aid to sue Martin for loss of earnings due to the injury he sustained.[11] However, the case was thrown into doubt when photographs were published in The Sun suggesting that Fearon's injuries were not as serious as had been claimed.[12]. Fearon later dropped the case when Martin agreed to drop a counter-claim.[13]
  • Options
    Are you proud you support the death penalty for burglary Territt?

Quite the bleeding heart aren't you?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If the police has reason to believe the burglar was deliberately pushed out of a window as a 'punishment' then the homeowner should indeed be arrested, charged with and sent to jail. There are no two ways about that.

If however the homeonwer was defending himself from an attack or believed his life was in serious danger from the presence of the burglar then he should have not been arrested at all.

But how would something like that be proved?:confused:
  • Options
    The case was dropped on legal advice, that's the same thing.

Anyone who thinks it's acceptable to deliberately maim, injure or kill a person simply because they are a burglar isn't right in the head, and people who do deliberately maim, injure or kill burglars should be punished by the full weight of the law.

Property owners have a duty of care to anyone who may be in the property, they always have had, and if someone gets injured on their property because of a booby-trap or illegal anti-burglar devices then it's right that they should have to cough up damages.

That said, though, if this burglar dies I won't exactly be shedding tears.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    But how would something like that be proved?:confused:
    With great difficulty I suspect.

If the police had reason to believe that's what happened then they were absolutely right to arrest him- even if it there was no evidence to proceed to court.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I hope the burglar survives, but if he dies will you honestly shed a single tear? That dead Gypsy who Martins shot deserved it, and this bloke does too.

I personally won't; but I won't exactly be jumping for joy.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »

And then made himself a cup of tea before deciding it might be a good idea to phone an ambulance about the chap bleeding to death on his floor.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Are you proud you support the death penalty for burglary Territt?

Quite the bleeding heart aren't you?

not at all, but if i found a burglar in my house i wouldn’t have a problem in defending myself, my partner or my property, even if it meant picking up my rifle and shooting them.
  • Options
    Forget the fact that its a burglar.

Would you shoot a man in the back as he ran away? Yes or no?
  • Options
    Forget the fact that its a burglar.

Would you shoot a man in the back as he ran away? Yes or no?

if he had broken into my home then yes,
  • Options
    So you would snuff out the life of a human being because he was trying to nick a £100 telly? Really?
  • Options
    The case was dropped on legal advice, that's the same thing.

If someone says thrown out of court to me that means the judge looked at the facts and didn't think the case was even worth continuing with ..

which I believe is what's happened in the Facebook trial in the USA at the moment ..

two parties agreeing to drop each other claims against each other might have the same end result BUT isn't quite the same thing ..
  • Options
    So you would snuff out the life of a human being because he was trying to nick a £100 telly? Really?

YES
  • Options
    If someone says thrown out of court to me that means the judge looked at the facts and didn't think the case was even worth continuing with ..

which I believe is what's happened in the Facebook trial in the USA at the moment ..

two parties agreeing to drop each other claims against each other might have the same end result BUT isn't quite the same thing ..

He drop the case because he clearly didnt have a case
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    If I found someone in my house (after they'd removed my living room window like I often make myself believe people have during the night) and I felt threatened, there's no way I'd hesitate in using the large metal bar that I've started to keep next to my bed

Same here
  • Options
    Well if me or mine are being threatened I'd slot the burgular in a milisecond.

But then that wasn;t the case with Tony Martin

He put it around his house that no-one was in and that it had valuables. He then deliberately lay in wait for several nights before ambushing the burgulars. He then left one of them to bleed to death without bothering to call the ambulance or police. There was no self-defence involved - it was premeditated murder and he was bloody lucky to be done to be done for manslaughter.

As an aside the surviving burgular was jailed for three years...
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    If I found someone in my house (after they'd removed my living room window like I often make myself believe people have during the night) and I felt threatened, there's no way I'd hesitate in using the large metal bar that I've started to keep next to my bed

Hmm, I prefer a lock on the door myself.
  • Options
    the guy that was in his own house, on his own land, defending his property, I just think it’s a shame his second shot didn’t kill the other guy

So you do mean the guy who shot someone in the back when they were running away and who held unlicensed firearms.

It's always nice to see who people's heroes are :cool:
  • Options
    And then made himself a cup of tea before deciding it might be a good idea to phone an ambulance about the chap bleeding to death on his floor.

Yeah that's the fella.