Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homeowner arrested after burglar falls from window.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ever actually had any experience of reporting a burglary SG, or are you going off what you've read again?

i have experience with the police, my car was broken into, i reported it, haded them the CCTV from my house, which clearly showed what happend, it take them 3 days to come to my house to get finger prints from my car, by which time the rain had washed it away and didnt ever hear from them again.

great job there
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    What nonsense. Martin believed that he had little option but to shoot the burglar. I'm not going to criticise that, nor am I going to express any sympathy for the burglar in question.

Bollocks.

Considering a jury of his peers thought that he had murdered someone, how can you say that?

Again, you know that Martin was a criminal even before he killed the boy, don't you?
  • Options
    What nonsense. Martin believed that he had little option but to shoot the burglar.

He had little option but to shoot someone running away from his house? Balls.

Some nasty little fucks on this site.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    He had little option but to shoot someone running away from his house? Balls.

Some nasty little fucks on this site.

he wasnt running away from the house, he was still inside it
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    i have experience with the police, my car was broken into, i reported it, haded them the CCTV from my house, which clearly showed what happend, it take them 3 days to come to my house to get finger prints from my car, by which time the rain had washed it away and didnt ever hear from them again.

great job there

Well that wasn't my experience. It's annoying, sure. But does it matter? You had insurance, right?
  • Options
    Again, you know that Martin was a criminal even before he killed the boy, don't you?
    Yes, and it really makes no difference at all to my opinion.
  • Options

The bullet wounds would suggest that he most certainly wasn't defending himself from violence. But ignoring that for a second, it he was running away with your £2k watch, would you feel justified in shooting him, because that's certainly the impression you're giving?
  • Options

They were trying to escape. He shot them, they weren't posing a danger to him yet he still shot them. That's murder in my book.
  • Options

Thought you didn't like criminals?
  • Options
    Well that wasn't my experience. It's annoying, sure. But does it matter? You had insurance, right?

i had insurance which covered the radio and the window(which i had to wait 3days to get one with the right tint) but what the insurance didn’t cover was my written notes from a course i was doing, or the fact i had to missed 2 days of a course that i was paying £125 a day to attend that i then couldnt get to
  • Options

On 12 February 2004, Tony Martin was arrested on suspicion of stealing number plates.

Well, looks like a habitual criminal then. Should he have been killed for doing that. It's theft after all...?
  • Options
    On 12 February 2004, Tony Martin was arrested on suspicion of stealing number plates. Well, looks like a habitual criminal then. Should he have been killed for doing that. It's theft after all...?
    Oh, here we go. Doubtless that someone is now going to bring up my support for the death penalty, so let's bite this bullet right now. Allegedly stealing a couple of number plates is hardly a crime that one should be killed over.
  • Options
    So I repeat, what should?
  • Options
    Oh, here we go. Doubtless that someone is now going to bring up my support for the death penalty, so let's bite this bullet right now. Allegedly stealing a couple of number plates is hardly a crime that one should be killed over.

Unless the car was parked in someone's garage in which case you'd be happy for them to be shot and murdered.
  • Options
    So I repeat, what should?
    What do you want me to say to that? Do you actually want me to write a fully comprehensive list of the sort of crimes that, if one commits, they shouldn't live to tell the tale?
  • Options
    You're the person who wants the government to start killing people, so writing a list doesn't seem too much to ask for.

I'm rather more concerned you've imagined so many crimes that someone should be executed for that it be such a chore to write...
  • Options
    thought maybe this would help with the debate,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/3952727.stm

Mr Faulkner, 73, will not be prosecuted despite firing a shotgun at Rae, leaving him with a leg wound.

A judge who sentenced Rae for break-ins said Mr Faulkner "could not be criticised" and was defending his home.
  • Options

Hmm, a numberplate recently sold on Ebay for over £100k. That's a lot more than anything in your house is likely to be worth. You think he was stealing (allegedly, since I don't know whether he was convicted) random number plates worth nothing?
  • Options
    I don't believe this...
    Jim V wrote: »
    Unless the car was parked in someone's garage in which case you'd be happy for them to be shot and murdered.
    We've even got one of the moderators distorting my words now. Whatever next? Let's get this out in the open. I would support whatever action that person felt necessary to protect their property and their life. I wouldn't be amongst the mob saying "oh, you should have done this, you should have done that". It's done. We can't re-live the past.
  • Options

Mr Faulkner, 73, will not be prosecuted despite firing a shotgun at Rae, leaving him with a leg wound.

A judge who sentenced Rae for break-ins said Mr Faulkner "could not be criticised" and was defending his home.

Absolutely right, I don't think there's a person here who doesn't think you should defend yourself with reasonable force. It's being allowed to murder someone in cold blood that's the question.
  • Options
    Hmm, a numberplate recently sold on Ebay for over £100k. That's a lot more than anything in your house is likely to be worth. You think he was stealing (allegedly, since I don't know whether he was convicted) random number plates worth nothing?

that would have been ownership of the number, not just a single numberplate
  • Options
    I don't believe this... We've even got one of the moderators distorting my words now. Whatever next? Let's get this out in the open. I would support whatever action that person felt necessary to protect their property and their life. I wouldn't be amongst the mob saying "oh, you should have done this, you should have done that". It's done. We can't re-live the past.

That isn't what you've been saying. You haven't been saying that someone just has the right to defend themselves. In your own words -
    There is a saying that "an Englishman's home is his castle". And long should it remain so. In my view, burglars deserve no rights

You aren't saying that someone should defend themselves - you're saying a burglar should have no rights and no legal protection from anything. Perhaps you should re-read what you've actually said, because that's all I'm basing my judgements on.
  • Options
    Absolutely right, I don't think there's a person here who doesn't think you should defend yourself with reasonable force. It's being allowed to murder someone in cold blood that's the question.

ok, if he had hit a major vein running in the leg and the man had died before help could get there would his actions still be ok? what makes this case any diffrent?
  • Options

Firstly, the previous burglary involved the theft of various weapons, so there was a reasonable expectation that the burglar may be armed, and I don't have a problem with him bringing the gun as a precaution. Secondly, the evidence stated that Mr. Faulkner fired a shot in an attempt to frighten the man away, accidentally hitting the man in the leg (not in an attempt to kill the man, like the other case). Finally, I presume since it doesn't say otherwise, that Mr. Faulkner imformed the emergency services at the first available opportunity.
  • Options
    ok, if he had hit a major vein running in the leg and the man had died before help could get there would his actions still be ok? what makes this case any diffrent?

Intent.
  • Options
    that would have been ownership of the number, not just a single numberplate

Good point. :p
  • Options
    You aren't saying that someone should defend themselves - you're saying a burglar should have no rights and no legal protection from anything. Perhaps you should re-read what you've actually said, because that's all I'm basing my judgements on.
    I think a homeowner has the right to defend themselves and their property if someone breaks in. I think that those who deliberately shoot burglars are despicable and should be locked away. I think that homeowners should have an opportunity to answer for and explain their actions if a burglar ends up being shot. I think the way the courts dealt with Tony Martin was over-zealous, trying to make an example of him.

How much clearer can I be?
  • Options

Mate, would you please spend a couple of minutes to actually look into what happened with Tony Martin, there's a million miles between the two cases as you'd realise if you did a quick google search of Tony Martin's case. If it's something that matters you could at least read the background to it before using it to justify people being allowed to commit murder.
  • Options
    Mate, would you please spend a couple of minutes to actually look into what happened with Tony Martin, there's a million miles between the two cases as you'd realise if you did a quick google search of Tony Martin's case. If it's something that matters you could at least read the background to it before using it to justify people being allowed to commit murder.

they both shoot a thiev at there homes, same thing really
  • Options
    they both shoot a thiev at there homes, same thing really

Was was an accident in the heat of the moment, the other was premeditated and deliberate (if it wasn't, he would've called the ambulance straight away - incidentally, if he had any brain cells, he would've realised that would help his defence in the inevitable court case). Quite a clear difference, unless you believe running someone over on purpose and accidentally killing someone who runs out in front of your car are essentially the same.