Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sick to death of "Find Madeleine McCann" media coverage

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Man Of Kent I see where you're coming from, kind of.

More than one personal can be culpable in any given situation, though - of course - to varying degrees. I think that's the case here.

The parents are to blame for exposing their daughter to a potentially dangerous situation, the abductor is to blame for snatching her. Now, one is a far worse thing to do than the other, but they both happened and neither should've.

One wouldn't have happened without the other, therefore in my eyes they're directly inextricably linked and some blame also lies with her parents... not least as they have not done their daughter justice in their role as her supposed protectors and the only people who could have prevented this happening -- and who didn't.
  • Options
    Given the information we have, I can see a case for neglect, regardless of what else happened.

That does not mean that the parents are at fault for the abduction.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    One wouldn't have happened without the other

You cannot say that.

Remember the child taken from the bathroom?

ETA this case
    the only people who could have prevented this happening

Actually, the only person who could have prevented the adbuction is the person who did it...
  • Options
    Of course I remember, it happened about ten miles from here. It's not the same situation, or even particularly similar.

If their parents had been in the hotel room with them then Madeleine wouldn't have been taken. If they had taken their kids to dinner then Madeleine wouldn't have been taken.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Of course I remember, it happened about ten miles from here. It's not the same situation, or even particularly similar.

If their parents had been in the hotel room with them then Madeleine wouldn't have been taken. If they had taken their kids to dinner then Madeleine wouldn't have been taken.

I think that the case proves otherwise...

You have a case there where the parents were in the same house, the child was in a place which you, SCC and other would consider safe, where you would be saying that the parents were acting responsibly. An abduction still happened.

Why? Because someone wanted to do it.

That last bit is all important. As I keep saying, without that act there is no crime of abduction.
  • Options
    Sugar wrote: »
    I heard an interview with the Madeleine's father where he said he didn't think they'd done anything wrong. I mean wtf!

I heard this as well. I wonder if they'd say the same thing if one of the children had a serious accident?
  • Options
    Apparently there is going to be a "Madeline day" and a pop concert in the style of Live 8.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Apparently there is going to be a "Madeline day" and a pop concert in the style of Live 8.

ffs :rolleyes: it's not going to help bring her back. The only people that can do that are the ones that have taken her or the police if they're lucky. She was on crimewatch last night. I don't see why they're appealing over here when it happened in portugal.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

:rolleyes: Why? And more to the point, if there's going to be such a thing, should we do this for every child that goes missing? Whether it's abroad or in their home country.
    I don't see why they're appealing over here when it happened in portugal.

That's probably because people might've just come back from their holiday and spotted her or something?
  • Options
    What relevance is that? Those highly secure buildings where we stash our cash get broken into too.

You cannot blame a victim for the actions of a criminal.

Unless you are a halfwit it means the McCanns would probably take more care of a bag full of money than their child which they claim is the most valuable, special...blah blah blah thing in their lives, so they obviously dont give a toss about their kids, I cannot believe they are actually in the profession they are in, they have zero common sense, just a couple of intellectual dwarves and I wouldnt want him or her giving me any health advice that's for sure.
    Unfortunately if you live in the real world sometimes you can blame the victim for the actions of a criminal. If you get your car stolen because you didnt lock it, the majority of us would think you were a fool and it was your fault for not locking it. Can you comprehend that or is it a bit too complex a concept for you to grasp.
    The whole McCann roadshow is toe curling, if it was a 5 stone black kid with a harelip it would be tough luck neglectful parents find your own hideous child, personally I find the McCann parents very suspect in their behaviour, especially their reaction to being complicit in her disappearance, most parents would fly into an uncontrollable rage if they were asked that question, they were so cool and collected, almost like they had rehearsed the whole thing...Oh and can someone tell me why raving Catholics had IVF, isnt that a big no no in their faith, but then again they are probably like vegetarians who eat fish.........completely hypocritical.
  • Options
    Except you aren't. Certainly not in law. You should be able to leave it unlocked, wit hthe keys in the ignition. It's still stealing and last time I look that act was illegal.

Abduction is, quite simply, illegal. Whether the child is on their own or not.

the main word you used then was SHOULD....the fact is, you can't do things like that anymore! a bit of common sense could prevent a lot of people becoming victims of crime!

And if you think that none of those could happen if the parents are in the same house then you are deluding yourself. The most dangerous place for a child to be, statistically, is in their own home. Next is in the street. On holiday is a long way short of that.
    where did I say that? The difference in the house would be that the parent would be there, therefore if anything were to happen to the chld, it could be dealt with swiftly!

In the first example you see that risk as acceptable, in the second you say that this makes the parents blameworthy. I disagree.

good for you, that's your opinion..
  • Options
    Think they might have found her, something was on the news about the police being tipped off to her wherabouts. Nothing on websites yet thuogh.

edit: http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91210-1269394,00.html

The "credible" call was taken from a man who wanted to speak directly to the McCanns, according to a Spanish police source.

It was traced to an unregistered pay-as-you-go phone from an unidentified country but not thought to be Morocco, where a previous possible sighting of Madeleine was reported.

Ransom demand?
  • Options
    Who knows, but I find it very, very unlikely that with this level of publicity she would still be alive - so maybe a call about a body
  • Options
    Unless you are a halfwit it means the McCanns would probably take more care of a bag full of money than their child which they claim is the most valuable, special...

The point I was making was that putting your moeny in a "secure" doesn't prevent it getting stolen.

Halfwit, though, not been called that for years...
    Unfortunately if you live in the real world sometimes you can blame the victim for the actions of a criminal.

The key phrase there is "actions of a criminal" - once again I find myself having to type this next part - without the criminal there is no crime. Therefore the act of committing the crime (and therefore the blame and guilt attached to it) belong solely to the criminal involved.

Seriously, why is that a hard concept for people to understand?
    If you get your car stolen because you didnt lock it, the majority of us would think you were a fool and it was your fault for not locking it.

Does being in a majority make you right then?
    Can you comprehend that or is it a bit too complex a concept for you to grasp.

That I can be responsible for the action of another? Yeah, I have trouble with that concept. Unless I have them under some sort of remote control/imperious curse...

Do you have problem with the concept of personal responsibility?

Do you advocate that the victim is sentence for three years inside, when theior house is burgled, because they didn't lock the doors and therefore are "at fault"?
    The whole McCann roadshow is toe curling, if it was a 5 stone black kid with a harelip it would be tough luck neglectful parents find your own hideous child

What I find toe curling is the reverse snobbery/racism/prejudice which leads to vilification on the basis the fact that this is a white, middle class family....
  • Options
    Ha, they even have advertisements to find her on TV... really worthwhile that! Yawn.
  • Options
    What I find toe curling is the reverse snobbery/racism/prejudice which leads to vilification on the basis the fact that this is a white, middle class family....
    I can't say I have noticed any of that.

Some people have been slagging them off but I have no doubt they would have slagged them off regardless of their race of social class. In fact, I believe if they had been of a different social class they would have been slagged off a lot more.

What I have seen a lot of White Woman Syndrome on the press. And for that the parents are not to blame- the press and and all the idiots jumping on the bandwagon are.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I can't say I have noticed any of that.

Suggest that you look back through the thread. If I see one more comment about "if this was a black, single parent etc"...
    In fact, I believe if they had been of a different social class they would have been slagged off a lot more.

What I have seen a lot of White Woman Syndrome on the press.

And there it is...

The judgment on why the press are treating this case like they are is subjective. Perhaps you would be kind enough to find a similar case, with working class ethnic family, which has been treated differently.

The interest in this case is because she was abducted abroad, on holiday, without a trace. There was similar coverage after Ben Needham got taken over 16 years ago. From memory that is the only other similar case I can think of...
  • Options
    Suggest that you look back through the thread. If I see one more comment about "if this was a black, single parent etc"...
    But that's not reverse snobbery or slagging off. That's an observation/criticism of how hollow and hypocritical the media and sectors of the public can get.

There is certainly not criticism of the parents themselves there... only an accusation that others have double standards and shed crocodile tears depending on the circumstances involved.

And there it is...

The judgment on why the press are treating this case like they are is subjective. Perhaps you would be kind enough to find a similar case, with working class ethnic family, which has been treated differently.

The interest in this case is because she was abducted abroad, on holiday, without a trace. There was similar coverage after Ben Needham got taken over 16 years ago. From memory that is the only other similar case I can think of...
    Frankly I cannot recall any cases of somebody breaking into a house in the UK and snatching a child while the parents were having a night out either. So if there had been it would have been pretty rare too. But I firmly believe if it had involved a pair of 'scroungers' living in a sink estate who had gone down the local estate pub for a pint they would have got a different ride from the press.

In any event I really don't see any of the above as an attack or criticism of the parents. It's an attack on the media's perceived bias towards people of certain social class.
  • Options
    I definately think it's now being over reported. I know it's very sad and traumatic for the parents, but to be honest - they left their kids in a hotel room alone!

I agree with the earlier comments too - it does seem as though it is a class thing - had it been a council house family on benefits in Benidorm popping out for a couple of drinks and leaving the kid at home the headlines would be much much different. Both families may love their kids the same, but it would be okay for the upper class family to go out for dinner and have a child go missing, but it would be outrageous and irresponsible for a working class family to go out for a pint and have their child go missing. They'd be accused of neglect and being bad parents, and god knows what. It's bizzare the way our media works.

And as harsh as it sounds... do they REALLY think they're going to get the poor girl back alive now.. it's been weeks. As sad as it is, the chances of getting her back alive seem pretty slim :( I really feel for them, but I do think it's about time they try to get on with their lives and their other children, let the police do their job. Everybody knows who she is now, and it's gonna end up giving the kids a complex about their lack of importance if all the people care about is Maddy. I feel sorry for the other two kids... and the other kids who go missing over the world every day but get no media attention at all :(
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/6740315.stm

What do you all think about this?

I wonder who is petitioning for this, and whether it's really any of their business.
  • Options
    As much as I think her parents made a huge mistake leaving her alone with her brother and sister, I disagree with that. It's nothing to do with the public.
  • Options
    and they've raised 750k pounds, i wonder where that will go to?
  • Options
    I would of thought it was a matter for the Portuguese authorities rather than a local council over here.
  • Options
    I should think their local social services have more pressing things to be doing than hounding Madeleines parents for making a regretable mistake.

:thumb:
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I would of thought it was a matter for the Portuguese authorities rather than a local council over here.

True.
  • Options
    Perhaps it was their fault that the girl went missing and much as I disagree with all the coverage this has got and how the whole world has started bumming the McCanns, this is not the time for them to be criticised.
  • Options
    Nah... the ones that need criticising are our fine press, never one to miss a chance to make money out of a tragedy, and individuals and businesses alike sheding crocodile tears and creating another 'Diana moment'.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/6740315.stm

What do you all think about this?

I wonder who is petitioning for this, and whether it's really any of their business.

I think that is pathetic.

If all those people are so concerned about the welfare of other people's children, they could use their time to volunteer with youth groups rather than spending their time creating vindictive polls on the internet.
  • Options
    Firstly, yes, its bad that somebody snatched her. Thats it. Thats about as far as my compasion can stretch. I find it staggering that people need to be persuaded with ridiculous amounts of money to come forward with information - how about this for incentive...'somebody snatched her'...is that not enough? No? How about 'somebody snatched her and there is £100,000 in it for you'...better?

And lets just look at the amount of money that has been pumped into the reward for information concerning her disappearance - its in the millions - money from the likes of O2, BP, Vodaphone, McDonalds, Carephone Warehouse, The Royal Bank of Scotland and Simon Cowell to name but a few. Millions. Money that, lets be frank here, SHOULD NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE - "hey, as I sit here reading the Daily Mirror reading about the £2,500,000 reward, you know what? I think I DO remember seeing some bloke putting a little girl into the boot of a car." Its disgusting on so many levels.

We have children dying every day in Africa, why are we not sending money to them? Because they are not little white girls called Madeleine.
  • Options
    drc wrote: »
    Money that, lets be frank here, SHOULD NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Money shouldnt make a difference BUT IT DOES.

Nothing motivates people like money. Simple as. :thumb: