Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sick to death of "Find Madeleine McCann" media coverage

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    So, do we know that that's what happened to M?

Well, what else could've happened to her?
  • Options
    I don't normally bother posting on political forums at boards like this - I have my opinions and I'm not interested in arguing about them. But I have to say, I agree with every word Briggi has said. If you think the media is over the top, you should try it here in Leicester where the family live. Local paper - front page every night for the last couple of weeks. Local news - first news item virtually every night whether there's been a development or not. Photo's and yellow ribbons everywhere. I even had spam email about her when I got to work this morning.

Last night I visited one of my best friends in hopsital. He's got cancer age 22 - he's lost a brother to cancer already, his sister died 3 years ago - she was ran over 3 weeks after getting married and his mum has breast cancer. He had an operation to remove the tumor on wednesday - last night he had god knows how many tubes coming out of him and was drugged up something chronic. Coincidentally, this is the hospital where Maddy's dad works as a surgeon. I come out the main entrance and there are ribbons and flowers and photos and messages everywhere. And I'm just thinking how about my mate and his family, and for that matter, everyone else dying in that hospital - let's get some proportion here. I pray they find that girl and that she comes home safe. However, flame me if you want, but frankly there's bugger all I can do about it, and I have bigger things to worry about...
  • Options
    The news today, 25 May 2007
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I agree, what news is slipping under the radar that we're being told in this thread? I haven't seen the case of Maddeline on the news for days now and even then it was only a snippet.

Sky News website top story this morning:

frontpagerc0.jpg

"Face of Madeleine projected onto Marbled Arch

The S*n:
    1539830.jpg

Telegraph:
    1539817.jpg

Mirror:
    1539820.jpg

(Continues below)
  • Options
    The news today, pt. II

Star:
    1539818.jpg

Express:
    1539825.jpg

Times:
    1539816.jpg

Herald:
    1539822.jpg
  • Options
    With the exception of the s*n and sky website (what a popular source of media), it's not the top story in any of the papers.

So I reitterate, what news is slipping under the radars?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Well the bigger the media coverage the greater the chance of finding her. I don't think her parents salaries or class have anything to do with the media coverage really.

Think about if it was your child, no amount of media coverage would be enough.

:thumb:

Totally agree

Although i do think that there should be more media coverage of other children that go missing although the scale of it would mean that the news was just full of children going missing all the time
  • Options
    With the exception of the s*n and sky website (what a popular source of media), it's not the top story in any of the papers.

So I reitterate, what news is slipping under the radars?
    It's front page news in all those papers.

And it is not exactly shattering news either: 'picture of missing child developed'.

How many stories would love to appear in almost all the newspapers' front pages...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It's front page news in all those papers.

And it is not exactly shattering news either: 'picture of missing child developed'.

How many stories would love to appear in almost all the newspapers' front pages...

It's just a picture, not the main story. Papers have to put pictures on the front every day. If it wasn't Maddie, do you think the Sun would have a photo of refugees in Lebanon, or people in camps in Sudan? Not likely, it would be Keeley in a bikini or Girls Aloud.
  • Options
    However you would expect better of the likes of the Times and the Telegraph.

That some pictures of a missing child have been developed are not front page news by any stretch of the imagination- not in a sane world anyway.

Not media related, but don't even get me started on Madeleine's face being projected on the Marble Arch...

Unbelievable.
  • Options
    i found out today too that eastenders and coronation street had to alter some of their story lines that were about missing children/abduction because of the madeleine mccann case. don't you think this is taking things too far? surely many stories in these soaps affect people emotionally everyday...
  • Options
    I think they didn't want to upset the parents or something?

This has just been on the news (as usual :rolleyes: ) her parents don't feel irresponsible for leaving their children alone. They said they weren't that far away from them. As if that makes a difference - toddlers are so unpredictable so you can't really leave them alone - let alone not leave them in a strange country...
  • Options
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I think they didn't want to upset the parents or something?

This has just been on the news (as usual :rolleyes: ) her parents don't feel irresponsible for leaving their children alone. They said they weren't that far away from them. As if that makes a difference - toddlers are so unpredictable so you can't really leave them alone - let alone not leave them in a strange country...

When I first heard the story I thought that it didn't seem too different from me having a houseparty and leaving mine and friend's kids asleep upstairs where they would be checked on less than every half an hour for sure, and wouldn't be in eye shot. But then it dawned on me that it isn't really the same thing at all as I know to what extent my house is Kiddy proof, and the kiddys would know exactly where their parents where and how they would go about drawing attention to the fact that they were awake or wanting, as well as the adults being present in the event or an accident or dissaster like fire. The story didn't ring true to me when I considered that the kids were fucking young to be left locked in a room, a strange room, with no way of calling for or knowing where their 'rents were, and that it was highly unlikely that someone would check on a child every thirty minutes when engrossed in adult entertainment. Summuts not right about that.

You ask me what else could have happened? People lie, for a start! House taught me that. Any number of macabre things could have happened when you open your mind to the endless ugly possibilities. There is nowt to be gained by me speculating on them on this forum. Though I can't be the only person to have had a fleeting thought of- the father did it, s'always the father?

I also think it might be counter productive to have as much publicity if the child has been abducted into a pedo ring, because her high profile would make her more of a liability than an asset and it might seem in the best interests of her kidnapper to get rid of her in the least trail leaving way- a shallow grave.
  • Options
    A child is kidnapped every 3 hours. The press don't care. Nobody cares.

But when a "beautiful", white, "perfect little angel" girl with two middle-class parents on 6-figure salaries, goes missing, there's an intense media storm, with the whole nation gripped with one individual, front page news stories for a fortnight, being spammed with "Find Madeleine" Facebook group invites, petititions, sponsored events and more, every bloody day.

If it was a black kid who'd gone missing the media wouldn't care less. If it was a child of chavvy parents who'd gone missing people would blame the parents for being irresponsible.

Don't mean to be heartless like, of course it's bad, but the media frenzy is just out of proportion.

http://lse.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2415731548

Well personally I don't care. I don't respect someone because they're "more pretty" as the media reckons everybody does.
  • Options
    When I first heard the story I thought that it didn't seem too different from me having a houseparty and leaving mine and friend's kids asleep upstairs where they would be checked on less than every half an hour for sure, and wouldn't be in eye shot. But then it dawned on me that it isn't really the same thing at all as I know to what extent my house is Kiddy proof, and the kiddys would know exactly where their parents where and how they would go about drawing attention to the fact that they were awake or wanting, as well as the adults being present in the event or an accident or dissaster like fire. The story didn't ring true to me when I considered that the kids were fucking young to be left locked in a room, a strange room, with no way of calling for or knowing where their 'rents were, and that it was highly unlikely that someone would check on a child every thirty minutes when engrossed in adult entertainment. Summuts not right about that.

:yes: Absolutely. I couldn't have left them alone, and not because I was worried about them being abducted. Just because 2 and 3 year olds aren't old enough to be left alone to their own devices, and I'd be worried about them falling out of windows, or into swimming pools, or drinking bleach.

It is sad that she has been abducted and I truely hope she's found alive and well (although the chances of her returning to them as the same little girl are growing slimmer by the day), but the next story I want to hear about her is that she's been found, not the daily slot about how her parents are doing today. It doesn't take much imagination to realise that they're probably still devastated, but why do we need to know about it in every single news slot?
  • Options
    It is sad that she has been abducted and I truely hope she's found alive and well (although the chances of her returning to them as the same little girl are growing slimmer by the day), but the next story I want to hear about her is that she's been found, not the daily slot about how her parents are doing today. It doesn't take much imagination to realise that they're probably still devastated, but why do we need to know about it in every single news slot?
    Apparently we do...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,70141-1267586-1,00.html

Out of 10 papers reviewed, 6 make it the main front page news and another two still managed to squeeze it into the front page.

Stand by for shocking revelations on Monday that the Pope might be practicant of Catholicism.
  • Options

According to her parents, being left alone in a strange country is the same as them being in the garden and their children being upstairs tucked up in bed.:rolleyes:
    Absolutely. I couldn't have left them alone, and not because I was worried about them being abducted. Just because 2 and 3 year olds aren't old enough to be left alone to their own devices, and I'd be worried about them falling out of windows, or into swimming pools, or drinking bleach.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    I agree, what news is slipping under the radar that we're being told in this thread? I haven't seen the case of Maddeline on the news for days now and even then it was only a snippet.

The "non news" (ie no new developments) about Madeleine continues to dominate both the papers and the television news. It was the top headline tonight on the BBC,ITV and SKY News.

You ask what news stories have slipped under the radar well here's a small handful:

May 5th: 114 DEAD in swamp air crash.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/news/tm_headline=all-114-die-in-swamp-jet-crash--&method=full&objectid=19061138&siteid=66633-name_page.html
    May 16th: 25 Innocent people killed in Pakistan terrorist bomb.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/stories/DN-pakistan_16int.ART.State.Edition2.4323c83.html
    May 22nd: 6 killed 80 injured in shopping mall bombing in Ankora
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-turkey23may23,1,86541.story?coll=la-headlines-world
    May 22nd: 25 innoncents killed in open market bombing in Baghdad
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18795557/
    May 25th: 17 Missing after plane crash in Peru
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/05/25/peru.air.crash.ap/
    May 25th: 26 Killed in Baghdad funeral procession
    http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=61598
  • Options
    The "non news" (ie no new developments) about Madeleine continues to dominate both the papers and the television news. It was the top headline tonight on the BBC,ITV and SKY News.

You ask what news stories have slipped under the radar well here's a small handful:

May 5th: 114 DEAD in swamp air crash.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/news/tm_headline=all-114-die-in-swamp-jet-crash--&method=full&objectid=19061138&siteid=66633-name_page.html
    May 16th: 25 Innocent people killed in Pakistan terrorist bomb.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/stories/DN-pakistan_16int.ART.State.Edition2.4323c83.html
    May 22nd: 6 killed 80 injured in shopping mall bombing in Ankora
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-turkey23may23,1,86541.story?coll=la-headlines-world
    May 22nd: 25 innoncents killed in open market bombing in Baghdad
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18795557/
    May 25th: 17 Missing after plane crash in Peru
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/05/25/peru.air.crash.ap/
    May 25th: 26 Killed in Baghdad funeral procession
    http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=61598

And these would be reported without madeline's dissapearance? Wise the fuck up, and the fact that you're quoting these newslines from respected sources just shows your stupidity. I dare you to make a second post, go on, you know you want to...:cool:...twat. :D
  • Options
    A child is kidnapped every 3 hours. The press don't care. Nobody cares.

But when a "beautiful", white, "perfect little angel" girl with two middle-class parents on 6-figure salaries, goes missing, there's an intense media storm, with the whole nation gripped with one individual, front page news stories for a fortnight, being spammed with "Find Madeleine" Facebook group invites, petititions, sponsored events and more, every bloody day.

If it was a black kid who'd gone missing the media wouldn't care less. If it was a child of chavvy parents who'd gone missing people would blame the parents for being irresponsible.

Don't mean to be heartless like, of course it's bad, but the media frenzy is just out of proportion.

http://lse.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2415731548

It's entirely understandable that the family have used their position, background, contacts, savvy, whatever, to maximise the media effect, and hence improve the chances of Maddie being recovered safely.

But what of parents who have had children go missing in similar circumstances who haven't had the resources to boost the press coverage? It can't seem at all fair to them, even though they'd not wish to lessen the chances of finding Maddie.

The media effect for Maddie has snowballed, so this case doesn't seem in proportion to others any more. But once you've lit the touchpaper - you don't know how big a story will become.
  • Options
    And these would be reported without madeline's dissapearance? Wise the fuck up, and the fact that you're quoting these newslines from respected sources just shows your stupidity. I dare you to make a second post, go on, you know you want to...:cool:...twat. :D

What a charming way with words you have!
    I've obviously rattled your cage!
    I think you need to "WISE UP" yourself mate! None of the stories got anywhere near the blanket coverage, if any mention on the main BRITISH news media like the press or TV news, which is what we are talking about STUPID!, not news coverage from websites around the world!
    You must be pretty dumb if you can't see that If Madeleine wasn't so heavily reported on, particuarly when there are no new developments,then the media would have allowed themselves much more airtime and column inches and man power and other resourses to devote to these other stories.
    For your information, since you seem to be wholly unaware, plane crashes
    usually make big news stories particuarly if there are British victims.
    Bombings in civilian areas have again usually been big stories in the British press particuarly if they happen to occurr in countries who are our allies on the "War on Terror".
    Bombings in Baghdad happen so frequently that you could argue that they
    may have gone under reported even without the Madeleine case,
    however it usually will get a lot more coverage if women and children were killed, as they were in the market place bombing.
    I dare you come up with a sensible riposte, which doesn't resort to crude profanities. Go on.... or is your command of the English language too limited.:confused:
  • Options
    What a charming way with words you have!
    I've obviously rattled your cage!
    I think you need to "WISE UP" yourself mate! None of the stories got anywhere near the blanket coverage, if any mention on the main BRITISH news media like the press or TV news, which is what we are talking about STUPID!, not news coverage from websites around the world!
    You must be pretty dumb if you can't see that If Madeleine wasn't so heavily reported on, particuarly when there are no new developments,then the media would have allowed themselves much more airtime and column inches and man power and other resourses to devote to these other stories.
    For your information, since you seem to be wholly unaware, plane crashes
    usually make big news stories particuarly if there are British victims.
    Bombings in civilian areas have again usually been big stories in the British press particuarly if they happen to occurr in countries who are our allies on the "War on Terror".
    Bombings in Baghdad happen so frequently that you could argue that they
    may have gone under reported even without the Madeleine case,
    however it usually will get a lot more coverage if women and children were killed, as they were in the market place bombing.
    I dare you come up with a sensible riposte, which doesn't resort to crude profanities. Go on.... or is your command of the English language too limited.:confused:

Look, it was the same sort of thing with the Virgian tech shooting, 600 odd people died that day in African and Iraq yet it didn't get coverage....Western media will always report things that are closer to them and are more sensationalist, America-Britain close allies, Madeline-young, white British girl...yet my point was what news is slipping under the radar? I'm not on about being underreported, I'm on about not being reported at all that would usually be news if it wasn't for Madeline's dissapearance? I don't see any, as far as I'm concerned, newspaper's can have her face on their front page all they want, it doesn't concern me. A young girl is out there, could be dead, could be alive and I think people here are belittleing her existence by finding any way to criticise the media and other people for caring so much.
  • Options
    A young girl is out there, could be dead, could be alive and I think people here are belittleing her existence by finding any way to criticise the media and other people for caring so much.

No we're not, and you know it. Nobody who has posted here doesn't want her found alive and well, we're just questioning why the media ranks her life and wellbeing so highly compared to the rest of the human race.
  • Options
    A young girl is out there, could be dead, could be alive and I think people here are belittleing her existence by finding any way to criticise the media and other people for caring so much.

I'd agree; the coverage is no where near the level of something like Diana, and I think after about the first week everyone (myself included) was pre-empting that this would turn into a really big circus. Yes initially it was over-reported but I think that has passed now.

I no longer see the problem I did 5 days ago.
  • Options
    Part of the reason that the Western media prefers to report on Western stories is financial. Media organisations, large as they are, do not have infinite funds in the bank and, as such, cannot give every single story the coverage it deserves. If it could, your daily newspaper would have thousands of pages in it per day, and Sky News reporters would all have been carted off to the asylum. Anyone having to report that much news would soon go insane!

As for the Madeleine McCann story, I am starting to tire of this slightly. I have no problem with the McCann's getting on with their lives - they do have two other kids, after all. However, by allowing the media to follow them around like this, they're doing no one any favours. The Portugese police cannot release a lot of information because of the laws in that country. Anger should be aimed towards the politicians who have set those laws.
  • Options
    Look, it was the same sort of thing with the Virgian tech shooting, 600 odd people died that day in African and Iraq yet it didn't get coverage....Western media will always report things that are closer to them and are more sensationalist, America-Britain close allies, Madeline-young, white British girl...yet my point was what news is slipping under the radar? I'm not on about being underreported, I'm on about not being reported at all that would usually be news if it wasn't for Madeline's dissapearance? I don't see any, as far as I'm concerned, newspaper's can have her face on their front page all they want, it doesn't concern me. A young girl is out there, could be dead, could be alive and I think people here are belittleing her existence by finding any way to criticise the media and other people for caring so much.

I wasn't actually arguing about what the Western media will tend to report on, that wasn't my point at ALL. I have been a keen watcher of news and current events long enough (In fact for longer than you have been alive) to understand how selective the media can be on choosing which stories to report and which they choose to ignore.
    However your argument, If I understand you correctly, is that the Madeleine story hasn't really had any impact on the reporting of any other news stories, well I strongly beg to differ.
    I can't be definite that all the stories I mentioned didn't get a single mention on the main TV news, but if they did it was so fleeting as to be easily missed.
    I do know this however:
    On the day that 25 innocent people got killed by a terrorist bomb in Pakistan, and I'm sure many of the British Pakistani community wanted to know what had occurred, it didn't even get a single mention either on the BBC news at Ten or ITV news at 6:30pm, and yet the ITV news devoted over 15 minutes of a 25 news program to Madeleine, the BBC had about 10 minutes out of a 25 minute news program, EVEN though there were NO new developments in the case. That's the point I'm making.

Attacking the media coverage has nothing to do with belittling Madeleine's existence. I want her to be found alive and well and soon, just like the vast majority of people here. There was another young girl (not a teenage runaway) who went missing in the UK over a week ago, that story only got a fleeting mention on the TV news, there was no special report, no live feed from where she went missing,no on the spot reporter, no appeal to the public, no interviewing family or friends, no photographs put up on screen, no follow up reports, in fact there was nothing,on the same news program Madeleine's story continued to get acres of coverage even though there were no new developments.
    Tell me, is it wrong to be frustrated about that?:confused:
  • Options
    Wtf!

They're going to rome for an audience with the Pope.

Hmmm is this an admision a bishop did it?
  • Options
    Looks like they found kiddie porn on that Murat's computer and a series of calls to the Russian geezer 30mins after the kid was taken.

Also, a house in Hampshire was raided after someone said that he were Maddie's abductor. I wonder if it was that twat on FaceBook that Goldergreen linked to?
  • Options
    Have you got a link for that? I can't find the story on BBC.
  • Options
    I can't find anything about kiddie porn on Murat's computer either