Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How much do you REALLY know about Islam?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know a fair bit about both Christianity and Islam and had a few heated debates on this site a couple of years ago ... anyone remember Aisha?

Muslims are not allowed to subject the Koran to any intellectual scrutiny to probe its divine authority and this is why Aisha and I clashed. She would make sweeping statements about inconsistencies in the Bible yet would not debate with me the obvious inconsistencies within the Koran ... :confused:
  • Options
    I don't know enough about Islam but then I could say the same for most religions. How much should I know?

Question for the OP, how much do you know about Islam or others?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I lived with a muslim a couple of years back who would talk constantly about Islam and I believe him to be a fairly reliable source.
    ^ What kinda things was this person saying about islam?

Because i will tell you truthfully whether he was 'reliable' or simply lying.

I am an ex-muslim btw. I have to keep this a secret though.... i'm sure you all know why.

I only discuss my apostasy on the internet. Everyone still thinks i'm a muslim.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I love talking about religion to Christains. Outside our Union they give tea and biscuits to people coming out of it. I regularly sit down and have long chats with them about my views. Maybe you should talk to her about it, you'll both learn something.
    We used to get tea and toast at our union. They stopped it after a while though. I think a drunken fight started in the chapel. :lol:
  • Options
    sanitize wrote:
    I just want to hear everyones views.

From what you DO know about Islam..... where did you get the information from? Did you study the source, ie the Koran and Hadiths? Or do you believe what you hear in the media? Or what you read in books?

Remember... I am asking what you know about ISLAM... not Muslims.
    The majority of Muslims are ignorant about Islam themselves.

I have a pdf of the Quran on my PC (along with several dozen other "holy" texts). I also have read several books, most notably one by a French author who is considered the world expert on extremist Islam. I'm also interested in the history of the Crusades and the Ishmaelian sect (better known as the Assassins) and to understand that period you have to at least have a basic knowledge of Islamic theology.
  • Options
    Its should be ridiculed as much as possible like all religions.