Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sick to death of "Find Madeleine McCann" media coverage

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "It then flew off and circled magnificent St Peter’s Square where Kate and husband Gerry, both 38, were waiting to meet Pope Benedict XVI."

You mean the reporter's actually got there telescopic lenses out and tracked the said butterfly all around St Peter's square?
    Perhaps the "religious" atmosphere of St Peter's square penetrated the reporter's minds!:confused:
    If said butterfly was indeed a divine creature then how come it didn't fly ahead and lead the Mccann's directly to Madeleine's location?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I am sure I heard once that when people die they come back as butterflies. That doesnt sound as odd as it does in my head!
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I am sure I heard once that when people die they come back as butterflies. That doesnt sound as odd as it does in my head!

Seriously there might be some truth in that, my cousins told me of an experience,when they were young kids, they had with a moth in their room one night.They tried to kill it.
    Their parents were in a completely different location when they happen to be attending a seance (don't ask me why!). Apparently a dead relative came through and described how the children were trying to kill it.
    My uncle and aunt were a little skeptical but were totally gobsmaked when they asked their children whether there was a moth in their room that they were trying to kill. Coincidence? perhaps... make up your own mind.:chin:
  • Options
    I notice a lot of people stating how precious and wonderful a child is and that it is the ultimate priceless gift and how awful it is and we musnt blame the parents etc...
    I wonder if the McCanns would have left a briefcase full of £50 notes in an unlocked, unsupervised room. What do you think?
  • Options
    I notice a lot of people stating how precious and wonderful a child is and that it is the ultimate priceless gift

What? Children are a pain in the bum.
    and how awful it is and we musnt blame the parents etc..

This is entirely the parents' fault! They CHOSE to leave the "child" alone.
  • Options
    toth8 wrote: »

This is entirely the parents' fault! They CHOSE to leave the "child" alone.

i think that was the point stonker was making
  • Options
    toth8 wrote: »
    This is entirely the parents' fault!

That has got to be the most moronic post ever. There is zero fault for her parents here.

It is entirely the fault of the person who abducted her.
  • Options
    I might regret asking it but I am very curious about this klintock/monocrat/seeker/toch persona choosing to put quotation marks on the word child.

Why, but why would he do that? :confused:

Oh, let me guess. Is it because children "don't exist"?

It is, isn't it? :D:lol:
  • Options
    I wonder if the McCanns would have left a briefcase full of £50 notes in an unlocked, unsupervised room. What do you think?

What relevance is that? Those highly secure buildings where we stash our cash get broken into too.

You cannot blame a victim for the actions of a criminal.
  • Options
    it is the fault of the person who abducted her, but the parents could have EASILY prevented it.
    This isnt some idyllic utopia where you can leave your doors and windows open and leave your children at home alone while youre out enjoying yourself.

Parents have a duty to protect their children. They didnt do it. They took a huge risk that most people wouldnt take, and now their daughter is paying/has paid the price.
  • Options
    It is not possible to 100% guarantee that your child will not be abducted. Every parents takes an elemnt of risk, whether that is letting their child go to a friends house, letting them play on the street, walk to school on their own... etc

The point is that without the criminal's actions, this would not have happened.

That is 100% guaranteed.
  • Options
    obviously, but the chances of someone abducting her if the parents had taken their kids to the restaurant or stayed home with her or used one of the complexes childminding services would be reduced so much as to be insignificant.
    The parents didnt do their job. I dont know what the hell they were thinking.
  • Options
    Do you have your children with you wherever you go? Will you continue to do so forever?

They thought that their kids would be safe, they thought that they were checking often enough. They were wrong.

I agree that their actions increased the risk, but you still cannot argue that the risk is anything but Zero without the criminal.

They could have left her all night will a neon sign saying "take me, take me" if the abductor hadn't been around. That's the important fact.

It's easy to blame the parents becuase the criminal hasn't been found, they are convenient at the moment, but the fact remains that without him/her being there it really wouldn't have mattered what her parents did or did not do.
  • Options
    It is not possible to 100% guarantee that your child will not be abducted. Every parents takes an elemnt of risk, whether that is letting their child go to a friends house, letting them play on the street, walk to school on their own... etc

The point is that without the criminal's actions, this would not have happened.

That is 100% guaranteed.

But surely if the children were left in a creche then the risk would be lower as there would be qualified people looking after the children?
  • Options
    And of course, those qualified people couldn't have taken her themselves?

The risk is zero, without the criminal. It really is that simple.
  • Options
    But how likely is that to happen?
  • Options
    Of course it's all circumstantial MoK, of course no one is pointing a big, fat finger of blame at the parents because above any other emotions we may all experience -- we all feel sympathy the most. We all do.

I really resent criticisms being construed as being unsympathetic, because I feel for those parents, I really do. Just not nearly as much as I feel for that little girl who has actually been done wrong by both the person who abducted her AND her parents who were her carers and protectors then. Just because the criminal is at fault doesn't mean that people's frustration with the parents is invalid. Leaving three children aged three and under is not something you can argue that the majority of parents would do, because they damn well wouldn't. I can't fathom that attitude. But they did it, it's done and there isn't any point laying blame at the feet of anyone except the person/people who took her. Having sympathy is one thing, having blind sympathy is another. Those with intelligent, critical minds are going to think beyond "paedophile monster" stories and that's that. They maximised the risk they exposed their children to - swimming pools, predators, bottles of bleach. They did that, it's undeniable as well as kind of strangely understandable.

As for your "will you keep your children with you wherever you go forever?" [paraphrased]. Well I answer no, but I'm pretty damn sure I'll keep them with me - or someone trusted - until they aren't actually infants any longer. I will keep them protected by myself or other until the very second they can reasonably protect themselves. I won't stop protecting them and being there a moment sooner. You might chalk that up to hysterical exagerration but in reality that's parenting. Not even good parenting... it's pretty fucking basic to be physically there for your kids.

The media coverage and the PR tour make me feel quite nauseated now, to get back on track. I don't care if that makes me look heartless, it's a joke. As someone brought up in the Catholic faith it is extremely bewildering to me that they met the Pope over the thousands of others who have been clamouring for years to do so. I wish them absolutely nothing but good will and kind thoughts but, really, this situation needs to be reigned in.
  • Options
    There is zero fault for her parents here.

How? Surely if a criminal saw a child with their parents then they would be unlikely to attempt to abduct them?

MoK - if your children were 2 & 3, would YOU leave them alone and go out? I highly doubt it.
  • Options
    Briggi, I have no doubt that the vast majority of people have masses of sympathy with the parents and the lass in question, it's the blame thing which gets to me.

The only person ever responsible for a crominal act is the criminal themself.

The reason why you and I (and many others) wouldn't have done what they did is because we don't trust others, we don't feel safe enough. But just because they felt otherwise doesn't mean that what happened is in any way their fault.

As I keep on reminding people, the risk only has to be minimised if there is a criminal around. Without that criminal there is no risk at all, is there. Please someone argue that point because it's fundamental to this whole issue.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »

The media coverage and the PR tour make me feel quite nauseated now, to get back on track. I don't care if that makes me look heartless, it's a joke. As someone brought up in the Catholic faith it is extremely bewildering to me that they met the Pope over the thousands of others who have been clamouring for years to do so. I wish them absolutely nothing but good will and kind thoughts but, really, this situation needs to be reigned in.

I agree with this.

I honestly can't be bothered to even read or watch about this anymore.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    How? Surely if a criminal saw a child with their parents then they would be unlikely to attempt to abduct them?

"unlikely" isn;t the same as "wouldn't" though is it?
    MoK - if your children were 2 & 3, would YOU leave them alone and go out? I highly doubt it.

Have been, will be 2/3. I have three children.

Fact is that I can take huge steps to minimise the risks that my children face but I cannot remove them completely. The sooner we start attributing blame to the perpetrator and stop pointing the finger at the parents the better IMHO, they will already be doing that themselves and don't need any "holier than thou" comments from any of us. We're none of us perfect.
  • Options
    I certainly see what you mean, MoK. But I find it difficult to understand your point of view, I would go as far as to say I think it's a bit irrational. I guess I can "get" that as a parent, or at least I should be able to...?

But I just feel... well, there is a difference between blaming the parents - which I don't feel anyone has - and feeling a little less tha sympathetic towards them than we would've if their daughter had been abducted in different (safer) circumstances. At the end of the day, of course, it's the person whodunnit's fault but it doesn't lessen that empathy I have for their child of being let down.

Ok, maybe it's not a kind-hearted, angelic way to feel but... we're human, it's the way a lot of us feel about it. Or at least the way I feel about it. To be honest I find it very hard to feel a welling of tears and swelling of sympathy for them on their "European tour" for which they've been PR-ised, though maybe I'm just cold hearted.

Even as an ex-Catholic I find their use of the Catholic Church a little distasteful. However I would imagine I'm probably alone in that as the church is generally used as a wishing well these days :)

PS. Have they been whipped into PR shape by Max Clifford? This "butterfly" shite reeks of him, as does everything else in honesty.
  • Options
    TBH I can't even fault them on the media thing - they are doing everything they can to keep their little girl in our minds becuase the last thing they need is for us to forget her. That isn't the same as being cheesed off by the media reporting every tiny little thing though, different argument altogether...

I also cannot fault them for meeting the Pope. I don't even care how religious they are, the will grasp any tiny possibility that doing something will make the difference.

Would you be any different?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    TBH I can't even fault them on the media thing - they are doing everything they can to keep their little girl in our minds becuase the last thing they need is for us to forget her. That isn't the same as being cheesed off by the media reporting every tiny little thing though, different argument altogether...

I also cannot fault them for meeting the Pope. I don't even care how religious they are, the will grasp any tiny possibility that doing something will make the difference.

Would you be any different?
    The problem isn't that they're accepting the publicity and the help, it's that it's being offered only to them and not others in similar situations.
  • Options
    That isn't their fault is it? If anything it's a reason to applaud them...
  • Options
    MoK does have a fair point. I think anyone in the same situation would do the same thing - I know I would.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That isn't their fault is it? If anything it's a reason to applaud them...
    I don't think anyone said it was their fault.
  • Options
    People are pointing the finger at them, blaming them, because its a horrible thing to happen, frightening that it might happen, and by showing they were in some way at fault, means the same thing won't happen to you.

That they are receiving this disproportionate attention doesn't help, as it causes resentment, which will also cause people to look to blame them.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    People are pointing the finger at them, blaming them, because its a horrible thing to happen, frightening that it might happen, and by showing they were in some way at fault, means the same thing won't happen to you.

Excellent comment :thumb:
  • Options
    I don't think anyone said it was their fault.

tbf, toth8 did!

So, do we know that the child was abducted and that there is a 'criminal' to blame?