Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sick to death of "Find Madeleine McCann" media coverage

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    because so many people feel so damn sorry for the parents that actively PUT their tiny daughter in a dangerous situation.
    The whole thing was completely avoidable.
    talking about it or not talking about it isnt going to make any difference to that poor girl who may be going through hell right now if shes still alive, just because her damn parents didnt look after her.
    Its not a mere mis-judgement.
    EVERYONE knows you dont go out partying and leave your kids at home alone.

Thank you, Suzy! The point is that had they not been so stupid, none of this would have happened. Fair enough, blaming the parents won't find Madeline, but I think it's worth remembering that the parents are no saints. While no-one would wish this situation on anyone, if it weren't for their own stupidity they wouldn't be in this situation
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Something like this can happen to any parent, remember the little girl who was snatched from her bath?

personally i thought that that was far more shocking yet we never heard much about it
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    personally i thought that that was far more shocking yet we never heard much about it

See the thing about that, firstly, it only lasted an hour or so. And, as the child was the victim of a sex crime, she had to remain anonymous. So there wasn't that much the media could report, although I remember the guy being sentenced in court. And I read the mother's story in a magazine a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    There was a lot of localised reporting here on the little girl who was snatched from her bath. I'm not sure why there wasn't a great deal of national news about it but, to be honest, I imagine her parents would've preferred it that way since that was definitely a case where publicity wasn't helpful to anyone.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    But what is the point of bringing it up at the moment while the girl is still missing?

True it won't help in finding her but it sticks in my gut that there's this overwhelming outpouring of sympathy, media coverage and rewards for 2 self-indulgent fucking assholes who put stuffing their faces above the safety of there own child.

According to reports i've read they 'went back to check every 30 minutes or so' when they were in a restaurant 60 (approx) yards away. Would anyone in their right mind even go next door for half an hour and leave 3 children aged 3 and under locked in the house alone ?
  • Options
    I'm not opposed to the coverage as such.

What really annoys me is the media putting on their deerstalker hat's and trying to do the police's job.
  • Options
    I'm pretty fucking sick of the coverage myself. And not only by the tabloids or Sky News, of which you couldn't expect anything different anyway, but from the BBC as well which should know better than go for the lowest common denominator.
  • Options
    To be honest I am bored of the whole thing now but it doesn't mean you can poke of at someone loss.

Maybe it's this amount of coverage that will change the way we go about getting kids back?

@Aladdin: Are they still covering? I didn't think there was much on the Beeb about it now?

@SuzyCreamcheese: It was avoidable I know, but I'd wish people would shut up about it, it's almost as boring as this thing being in the news everyday. I didn't hear anyone keep banging on about how the Sarah Payne thing could of been avoided.

@Goldersgreen: There is nothing you can do to FaceBook that will make it better, just give up and throw in the towel while you still can.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I've not had any of these emails. I'm still getting ones for breast enlargements. .

You should take them up on that!!
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    True it won't help in finding her but it sticks in my gut that there's this overwhelming outpouring of sympathy, media coverage and rewards for 2 self-indulgent fucking assholes who put stuffing their faces above the safety of there own child.

According to reports i've read they 'went back to check every 30 minutes or so' when they were in a restaurant 60 (approx) yards away. Would anyone in their right mind even go next door for half an hour and leave 3 children aged 3 and under locked in the house alone ?

It was insanity.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    @Aladdin: Are they still covering? I didn't think there was much on the Beeb about it now?
    Not so much but still getting considerable and unjustifiable amount of if.

Three days ago the interrupting whatever piece they were doing to bring live pictures of the father arriving at their home town and looking at some flowers and cards that had been left on a square.

And yesterday they interrupted another piece to bring life pictures showing the couple arriving at Fatima.

I mean ffs... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Its not sympathy and greif, its simulated sympathy and grief; it works like an echo chamber, the message gets out, creates a demand for more of itself, and the process continues.
  • Options
    Unfortunately for you, the vast majority of people want to find her, if publishing her photo all over the world helps jog a few memories then so be it.
    Don't like it then stop reading the popular press/watching tv/walking past anyone else who gives a toss about a young girl who has been abducted.
  • Options
    As I've said (although to be fair I think it was in the other thread) I'm totally not against the media coverage per se; its just that this has spiralled beyond the point where it would be affective.

Also it shows up the highly selective nature of the media market. Its not that people don't want to find or hear about her, I think that some people resent being hyper-fed a story about which they can do very little.
  • Options
    No, Whowhere, everybody wants her to be found. Don't presume that people having a negative opinion about the media circus surrounding her disappearance equates to people feeling ill-will toward the child or not caring whether she is found or not. That is simply not true.

What people object to is the shameless media salivation over yet another case of Missing White Woman Syndrome with hours of endless reportage of the same vague conjecture. All the while real breaking news continues to occur worldwide and is completely swept under the carpet.

I imagine a lot of people think this kind of attitude is very cold, but I have to clarify that my thoughts have been with Madeleine from day one. She is the blameless victim in all of this, and if people didn't care about her safety and well-being they wouldn't get so worked up about all the bullshit clouding the real issues.

Oh and if they want to continue to grease the good PR wheel then I suggest they shut Aunty McCann up. She is the least articulate and effective spokesperson for family tragedy I have ever seen, and thundering about outside the Houses of Parliament yelling at Gordy isn't going to do a lot to find a missing-feared-dead child.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    @Goldersgreen: There is nothing you can do to FaceBook that will make it better, just give up and throw in the towel while you still can.
    Clearly you know absolutely nothing about Facebook; we are continually innovating and coming up with new stuff all the time, and all of it continues to increase the hits generated and thus boosts our advertising income and market value of the company were it to sell. Look at how the number of pageviews it gets continues to grow non-stop as we keep coming up with new ideas, like Marketplace launched last Friday: http://traffic.alexa.com/graph?o=l&c=1&f=555555&u=facebook.com/&u=&u=&u=&u=&r=1y&y=p&z=1&h=300&w=610

This afternoon (hopefully) you'll be able to integrate slideshows into your profile page and a whole lot more.
  • Options

This afternoon (hopefully) you'll be able to integrate slideshows into your profile page and a whole lot more.

I don't think anyone gives a shit.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Nah, I'm fed up of it too. I may be deemed insensitive but I don't really care. There's no way in hell that the parents' professions, earnings and social class don't factor in... if the mother was a single mum from a council estate then she would be being raked over the coals and maybe pitied. Along with the stories that'd probably accompany it. There wouldn't be this furore and the focal point of the story would damn sure be NEGLECT, especially as time wore on. I couldn't get behind condemning anyone publicly for this chain of events, but it does stick in my craw that the media have gone to town on this while other news remains largely unreported.

I find the whole thing a bit ghoulish and morbid and... inappropriate. Shrines to the child, "vigils for Maddie", Joe Bloggs on the street on Sky News telling us how utterly traumatised he is, Kay Burley delighting in telling us how much weight Madeleine's mother has lost. Everyone wants in on it, and I think that's enough already.

Reportage of the story as and when new events occur is... normal. That's what those in the business of reporting news are supposed to do. One vague "fact" followed by half an hour of inane waffle about how she was an "angel" (bad taste) and conjecture about things they are clueless about. That isn't journalism, well not to any standard anyway. Oh, and the important job of organise minutes' silences at football matches and the like. Unbelievable. There isn't a person in the country who isn't aware of the situation, and while that's grand for the family I think it's a disservice to other news which slips under the radar. Honour killing of pregnant 16 year old, anyone? Multiple stabbings? Nah, not interested, I'd rather put a poster up in the back of my Renault Clio window so I can feel suitably distressed at all times and display my caring, concerned side to all my fellow Tesco shoppers. If there is no new development then it ISN'T the top story. Oh, and while she may not be in Portugal anymore (though that's definitely my feeling) she probably isn't in Bognor Regis McDonalds either. Our local pub has posters up, but amazingly enough she wasn't there restocking the pork scratchings or cleaning the john.

This is just a newspaper editor’s wet dream, little blonde daughter of doctors gets kidnapped by (what they hope will be) Johnny Foreigner. Why is it relevant how "beautiful" she is? What if she was an ugly wee thing with a hare-lip. Tough luck neglectful parents, find your own hideous child. All this hand-wringing is typical.

That's without even mentioning the likes of David Beckham pleading for her return. Even paedophilic, child-abducting, people-trading criminals love football, right? So if David Beckham decides she should be returned safe and well then who is anyone else to argue...
    Not only are your points good but the way you've written this is just brilliant, so coherent and compelling. You should go into journalism, politics or be a barrister!! :)
  • Options
    Not only are your points good but the way you've written this is just brilliant, so coherent and compelling. You should go into journalism, politics or be a barrister!! :)

Would you still be saying that if he view was different to yours ?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Unfortunately for you, the vast majority of people want to find her, if publishing her photo all over the world helps jog a few memories then so be it.
    Don't like it then stop reading the popular press/watching tv/walking past anyone else who gives a toss about a young girl who has been abducted.
    Was that directed at me?

Well judging by the various messages boards I've seen and every single person I have discussed the case with, it'd seem that just about everybody else shares my feelings and is at best uncomfortable if not sick to their stomachs about the media circus and hypocrisy.

And incidentally it has nothing to do with wanting the girl found. Everyone wants the girl found. But the disproportionate media hysteria we are witnessing has little do do with that, and more to the point it will be of no help in finding her.

The parents of every other child who's ever dissapeared must be wondering where they went wrong not to merit such honourable concern and effort.
  • Options
    So am I getting this right.

Because the media doesn't spend time much time on every case, then they shouldn't spend so much on this one?

Isn't the very fact that we are discussing those other cases are out there a direct result of the media reporting in this one?

Isn't the fact that it was a family abroad what makes it stand out from abductions in the UK - therefore a legitimate story?
  • Options
    If it was a black kid who'd gone missing the media wouldn't care less. If it was a child of chavvy parents who'd gone missing people would blame the parents for being irresponsible.

Well...you're right about the media frenzy getting out of hand.

But plenty of crimes against whites and the middle class go under-reported (Kris Donald being an example), plenty of crimes against blacks and the working class get over-reported.

Bringing race and class into this suggests the bias is with you...
  • Options
    So am I getting this right.

Because the media doesn't spend time much time on every case, then they shouldn't spend so much on this one?

Isn't the very fact that we are discussing those other cases are out there a direct result of the media reporting in this one?

Isn't the fact that it was a family abroad what makes it stand out from abductions in the UK - therefore a legitimate story?
    I don't see it myself like that- others might see it differently of course.

Other than the child being abducted while abroad (and that is not such revolutionary or extraordinary event- bad people exist everywhere) there is very little that could explain such media frenzy- not to mention celebrities wearing ribbons on national television.

I don't blame the parents for trying as hard as they can. But one cannot but raise their eyebrows at the completely disproportionate hysteria regarding this case.

Putting posters up in Wolverhampton or wearing a yellow ribbon on Any Dream Will Do has nothing to do with helping find the child. And while some might be inclined to say 'well at least it comforts the parents' perhaps they should consider what effect it might be having on the parents of every child who's been abducted before, and who would have very much liked even 1% of the press coverage and public eye focus this case has enjoyed.

Then there is the hypocrisy and double standards: if the case had involved a pair of 'chavs' living in a housing estate whose child had been abducted while left alone in the flat after the parents had nipped down to their local for a quick pint you just know the press would be eating them alive and questioning whether the remaining kids should be taken into care.

I know it's a sensitive issue but I don't think it's wrong to question how this whole issue is being handled. At best it's become a bit of sordid spectacle.
  • Options
    There is a difference between over-reporting (e.g see pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, cntre pages and free poster) and mass public hysteria - although they feed off eachother.

The ribbons thing isn't about reporting of a story.

This is still of interest to many people because it's about someone supposed to be having fun on holiday when their life was turned upside down - much as it was for Ben Needham, a story which still occasionally hits the news some 16 years later. That is the big difference here.

NB There is no evidence that if this child had been black/chav etc that reporting would have been different. That's just conjecture.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Putting posters up in Wolverhampton or wearing a yellow ribbon on Any Dream Will Do has nothing to do with helping find the child. And while some might be inclined to say 'well at least it comforts the parents' perhaps they should consider what effect it might be having on the parents of every child who's been abducted before, and who would have very much liked even 1% of the press coverage and public eye focus this case has enjoyed.

:yes:.

If I was a parent and my kid had been abducted, I'd be wondering why it was these people were getting so much attention, and it'd make me feel like utter shit tbh.
  • Options
    There is a difference between over-reporting (e.g see pages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, cntre pages and free poster) and mass public hysteria - although they feed off eachother.

The ribbons thing isn't about reporting of a story.

This is still of interest to many people because it's about someone supposed to be having fun on holiday when their life was turned upside down - much as it was for Ben Needham, a story which still occasionally hits the news some 16 years later. That is the big difference here.

NB There is no evidence that if this child had been black/chav etc that reporting would have been different. That's just conjecture.

I agree, what news is slipping under the radar that we're being told in this thread? I haven't seen the case of Maddeline on the news for days now and even then it was only a snippet.

There is mass public hysteria, and although it's getting a bit out of hand, it's nice to see so many people caring strongly about an issue.

SCC-They weren't partying, they were having a meal.
  • Options
    Well you're wrong, you just need to look at previous incidences where children have gone missing / been kidnapped and never returned - happens every week in the UK.

You're wrong. There are only on average 6 cases a year of child snatching by a stranger.

Just out of interest, do the news of the world still put "For Sarah" under their title?

And as harsh as this sounds, it's going to be pretty hard to find her if she's dead.
  • Options
    You're wrong. There are only on average 6 cases a year of child snatching by a stranger.

So, do we know that that's what happened to M?
  • Options
    Do we care?
  • Options
    chortle. I dunno, do we?