Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self-harm and other mental health.

Maddie05Maddie05 Posts: 56 Boards Initiate
Hey guys, I'm new to the mix, my name is Madison (but I prefer to be called Maddie, as I hate my name...) And I'm 13, feel free to introduce yourself too. I struggle with self-harm, and suicidal thoughts, and its not something that can go in the click of a finger. Sadly. Despite my parents not knowing any of this, doesn't help, I don't want to talk them because I know they will have a bad reaction and not believe me, as when my older sister told them she is depressed, they did nothing much, and acted like they didn't care... So I thought maybe coming here, I can get the support instead of from my parents... Not that they try to understand.
But I was hoping someone could give some advice on any of this? :/
Thanks.

- Maddie, 13

Comments

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Hi Maddie,

Welcome to The Mix! I hope that you enjoy it here. I just wanted to let you know that you are never alone with what you are going through.

I'm Kasa but you can call me Kayla. I am also 13 years old. I wish that I could give you advice on how to deal with the problems that you are facing but I just don't know what to say. One thing I can say to you though is stay strong and keep fighting. It is a difficult battle but with courage and determination, you will win. You are so amazing and appreciated by everyone even if they don't show it. 

If you or your sister need any support when the boards are quiet, there is the 1-2-1 phone helpline, Webchat, telephone counselling, webchat counselling, email service and crisis messenger. 

There is always support out there.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Maddie05Maddie05 Posts: 56 Boards Initiate
    Sorry, I didn't see the whole of your message, thanks Kayla.💙. At least I know I'm not the only 13 year old 😁👍.
    And it's fine if you don't know what to say 😉😊.
    Thanks for your message, and don't worry, I am trying to fight back! 😅
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Welcome to the community @Maddie05!

You've taken a really positive step reaching out for support here. I'm really glad you found The Mix. Everyone here is so nice and we're all here to support you through this <3.

See you around the boards :)
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Maddie05 said:
    Sorry, I didn't see the whole of your message, thanks Kayla.💙. At least I know I'm not the only 13 year old 😁👍.
    And it's fine if you don't know what to say 😉😊.
    Thanks for your message, and don't worry, I am trying to fight back! 😅
    Nice one. I am so proud of you for even just taking the courage to be on here.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey Maddie, welcome!

I'm Kathleen, 14. It's really nice to have you here <3
  • knownaslonerknownasloner Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    edited August 2019
    Hey Maddie, welcome!

I’m so sorry to hear that you are struggling with suicidal thoughts and self-harm. It certainly isn’t something that fixes with just a click of a finger, it’d be so much easier if that was possible.

I understand that feeling of your parents not being able to understand or care. It makes it so much more difficult if no one is there fighting that battle with you. But you’re stronger than you know and, as @Kasa2103 said, keep fighting! 

I’m not sure any advice I can give you will help at all but just take it day by day, try not to stress about what the rest of the week will bring. Focus on what’s happening in that moment and when you’re having better days, try not to worry about when those thoughts of self-harm and suicide will return. 

When you start to want to self-harm, distract yourself with something else. Instead of picking up something damaging, pick up a pencil or pen. Draw a picture or write what you’re feeling down, it really helps distract your mind and get your emotions out.

Have you considered talking to a counsellor? You don’t need permission from your parents. Maybe it would help, especially if you’ve been bottling up your feelings.

Apologies if that was no help. Wishing you all the best for the future  <3
    Aife said:
    Welcome to the community @Maddie05!

You've taken a really positive step reaching out for support here. I'm really glad you found The Mix. Everyone here is so nice and we're all here to support you through this <3.

See you around the boards :)
    Thanks so much, and thanks for the welcoming :3
    See ya around :D
    Hey Maddie, welcome!

I'm Kathleen, 14. It's really nice to have you here <3
    Hi Kathleen, thanks for welcoming me :3
    See ya around :)
    And it's also good to see lots of supportive people, thanks a lot! <3
    Hey Maddie, welcome!

I’m so sorry to hear that you are struggling with suicidal thoughts and self-harm. It certainly isn’t something that fixes with just a click of a finger, it’d be so much easier if that was possible.

I understand that feeling of your parents not being able to understand or care. It makes it so much more difficult if no one is there fighting that battle with you. But you’re stronger than you know and, as @Kasa2103 said, keep fighting! 

I’m not sure any advice I can give you will help at all but just take it day by day, try not to stress about what the rest of the week will bring. Focus on what’s happening in that moment and when you’re having better days, try not to worry about when those thoughts of self-harm and suicide will return. 

When you start to want to self-harm, distract yourself with something else. Instead of picking up something damaging, pick up a pencil or pen. Draw a picture or write what you’re feeling down, it really helps distract your mind and get your emotions out.

Have you considered talking to a counsellor? You don’t need permission from your parents. Maybe it would help, especially if you’ve been bottling up your feelings.

Apologies if that was no help. Wishing you all the best for the future  <3
    Hi,
    Thanks for the welcoming, it means a lot! And I wish it would be that easy to fix! 😁
    And I'm trying, and if I wasnt, I wouldn't be here, but there's one particular person who really helped, and that was my bestie, I literally wouldn't be here if I never met her! :)
    And that's all good advice! Especially the distraction for the self-harm, I'll try to distract myself, and I do love art <3 I just don't feel like doing it much anymore.. :p
    A be when you ask to talk to a counsellor, so you mean online or in real life, because it it's in real life, I'd need to tell my parents, so I can actually get out the house, and I'm not really good at getting to places on foot, I'll get lost... And I'll need permission to leave my house, because I'm 13, and my parents won't let me out alone... :C
    Thanks for all the advice and support, it really did help! Especially knowing that you took some of your time to respond <3
    Take care 💙

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Hey  welcome 😊 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Hey  welcome 😊 
    Thank you so much! It's well appreciated *U*
    Take care 💙
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Welcome!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Welcome! I hope we can support you <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie said:
    Welcome! I hope we can support you <3
    Thanks Shaunie <3
    Take care ❤
    Azziman said:
    Welcome!x
    Thanks Azziman! <3
    Have a wonderful day.
  • knownaslonerknownasloner Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    @Maddie05

Sorry for the late reply.

If you can’t talk to a counsellor in person, talking to one online is an option. It can be easier to talk not being face-to-face anyway.

I’m glad that your friend helped you, it sounds like she’s really supportive.

I hope that distracting yourself with something helps the next time you feel like self-harming.

Wishing you all the best! 
    Thanks for the wonderful support, and there's no such thing as late! ❤
    I'm glad that I'm not the only Cool Newbie! ❤
    I hope you are okay, you must have come here for something you are struggling with... You can talk to me if you wish...? I'm not forcing or pressuring you though, it's your decision, take care though! '-.^
    Take care! 

- Maddie