We've updated the 'What can I talk about?' section of the group chat guidelines to mirror the boards guidelines. You can find them here :)
Want to tell us about your experiences using The Mix and be in with a chance of winning a £200 Amazon Voucher? Click here to go to our survey!

Let's have a chat about Chat :)

The MixThe Mix Posts: 2,367 Community Managers
edited August 2018 in Group Chat Announcements

So, August seems to be The Mix month of surveys. Thanks to all who have taken our annual survey in the banner above, you may see this popping up soon across the website too.

To help those experiencing survey withdrawal, we have another one for you to complete! As you may have seen from the confetti canon, it's our 18th birthday as a community, and so we are looking to set out our plans for building the community moving forward. 

So, to help our thinking, we really want to hear your thoughts on how chat is, and what we could do to improve it. All thoughts and views welcome :)

Ed, Aife and Mike
We're @Aife@Mike, @Italia and @Ed_ - the staff team here at The Mix. We don't provide support via this account, but if you have any questions about the boards or need a hand finding your way around, feel free to drop us a message. Alternatively, you can head over to the Help Desk.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Noob
    Much as I'm usually happy to fill in surveys for your office, the link you gave means I have to make a Microsoft account.

No, thank you. :/

And who is Ed?

I'm driven by self doubt.
  • AbigailAbigail Carer/musician Posts: 644 Extreme Poster
    The newbie to this part of the team hes been a mod for a while working down at HQ.
    He goes under the name Edward8. 
    Some people think i am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 1,173 Fanatical Poster
    The survey is powered by microsoft forms, but I don't see why you'd need to sign in to microsoft unless you're editing it. I got to the survey without having to sign in, strange how even links have prejudices now :joy:
    Ah - congratulations, @Edward8 - that's tremendous news! =)

• Kasa2103Kasa2103 I am the Sultan. I am me. South EastPosts: 1,514 Postholic
    edited August 2018
    I didn`t have to make an account. Or at least I wasn`t told to. Unless I was logged into my school account.
    So salaam worthy friend. Come back soon! That's the end.  Till another Arabian night! A whole new world, a new fantastic point of view. No one to tell us no, or where to go, or say we're only dreaming. A whole new world, with new horizons to pursue. I'll chase them anywhere, there's time to spare. Let me share this whole new world with you. A whole new world, that's where I'll be. 
  • Ed_Ed_ Posts: 90 Staff Moderator
    Floxy said:

And who is Ed? 

The age old existential question :) As @Abigail said, I have been lurking about for a while at The Mix, but am going to be more present on the boards, so hello  =)

In terms of the need for an account, sorry about this, we hadn't adjusted the survey to make it public, and so all should be live and account-free now. So all should be able to get involved now :)
    “Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.” 
    ― Alan Turing
    Edward8 said:
    Floxy said:

And who is Ed? 

The age old existential question :) As @Abigail said, I have been lurking about for a while at The Mix, but am going to be more present on the boards, so hello  =)

In terms of the need for an account, sorry about this, we hadn't adjusted the survey to make it public, and so all should be live and account-free now. So all should be able to get involved now :)
    Thanks, Ed. It's great to see you on the Team. :)
  • AzzimanAzziman Posts: 472 Rampant Poster
    Edward8 said:

Hi Ed!

Nice to meet you - congrats on joining the team, and look forward to seeing you around the forum a little more!x

Much love <3
  • The MixThe Mix Posts: 2,367 Community Managers
    edited August 2018
    Thanks both :) 

Just a little bump of this thread, would be great to get some more thoughts on chat if anyone has a few moments to fill this in

Ed

We're @Aife@Mike, @Italia and @Ed_ - the staff team here at The Mix. We don't provide support via this account, but if you have any questions about the boards or need a hand finding your way around, feel free to drop us a message. Alternatively, you can head over to the Help Desk.
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 389 Rampant Poster
    It would be great if chats worked like facebook, with a box on one side if the screen, so I could still look at topics whilst chatting. That way if I think someone might benefit from a page on the Mix I can link it to them without having to go back and forth or between tabs. Instant refresh would be great too, I only see new messages if I refresh the browser.

If possible a Mix Chat app would be cool too as sometimes typing into the text box becomes bugged and auto-correct starts making up strange new words (That could just be my phone) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 5,302 The Mix Elder
    edited August 2018
    Hi

im sorry- I think i have filled this in but i dont think i wrote much.  Would it be annoying if i did it again?  I just wanted to write in the “what do you get from chats that you dont get from the discussion boards” that i like the fact that chats leaves and isnt anywhere afterwards expect i know that you get the transcript or whatnot. But like with the boards it stays public- if know what i mean. But yeah thats obvious. So maybe not
    The moon taught me: its okay to go through phases. 🌙 The sun taught me : no matter how many times you go down, keep rising🌤
    Eyepatch said:
    It would be great if chats worked like facebook, with a box on one side if the screen, so I could still look at topics whilst chatting. That way if I think someone might benefit from a page on the Mix I can link it to them without having to go back and forth or between tabs. Instant refresh would be great too, I only see new messages if I refresh the browser.

If possible a Mix Chat app would be cool too as sometimes typing into the text box becomes bugged and auto-correct starts making up strange new words (That could just be my phone) 
    This is interesting @Eyepatch :)

Would you want an app that also had the boards in the same place?

Shaunie said:
    Hi

im sorry- I think i have filled this in but i dont think i wrote much.  Would it be annoying if i did it again?  I just wanted to write in the “what do you get from chats that you dont get from the discussion boards” that i like the fact that chats leaves and isnt anywhere afterwards expect i know that you get the transcript or whatnot. But like with the boards it stays public- if know what i mean. But yeah thats obvious. So maybe not
    No worries @Shaunie we can either include what you have written here, or you can fill in the survey again. Up to you :)

Ed
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 389 Rampant Poster
    The Mix said:

Yes please :) I don't know all that much about creating apps but I would love to help with the visuals 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    Eyepatch said:
    The Mix said:

Yes please :) I don't know all that much about creating apps but I would love to help with the visuals 
    @Eyepatch, This has been mentioned a lot. If you use your phone a lot for chat and/or the boards at the moment i know the team have suggested to use a shortcut and pin it to your home screen on your phone. Its not like an app its more of a widget but its been a good fix for a lot of people. 
    Some people think i am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking
    Eyepatch
    Did I sign up for the chat on Wednesday?
    So salaam worthy friend. Come back soon! That's the end.  Till another Arabian night! A whole new world, a new fantastic point of view. No one to tell us no, or where to go, or say we're only dreaming. A whole new world, with new horizons to pursue. I'll chase them anywhere, there's time to spare. Let me share this whole new world with you. A whole new world, that's where I'll be. 
    edited August 2018
    Hey @Kasa2103 - yes you did :)

This is a last bump for signing up for the chat tonight (6.30-7.30pm) come ready with all your thoughts about chat!

Ed
  • ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 5,302 The Mix Elder
    Ah oh i think i signed up to this and totally wanted to go to it but cant :(
    The moon taught me: its okay to go through phases. 🌙 The sun taught me : no matter how many times you go down, keep rising🌤
    edited August 2018
    I can make it, but confused. Doesn't take much though 
    The Mix said:
    Hey @Kasa2103 - yes you did :)

This is a last bump for signing up for the chat tonight (6.30-7.30pm) come ready with all your thoughts about chat!

Ed
    Thank you. I might be about 5 minutes late though.
  • LaineLaine Llama Mama Posts: 1,326 Fanatical Poster
    I think I signed up but I have no idea 😂 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈 

"Maybe it's not my weekend,  but it's gonna be my year" ~ All Time Low

"No one else is dealing with your demons, meaning maybe defeating them could be the beginning of your meaning friend" ~ TOP

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille
    @Laine

We will be emailing/PM'ing the people who have signed up this afternoon. If you aren't down we will drop you a PM!

Ed
  • LaineLaine Llama Mama Posts: 1,326 Fanatical Poster
    Great thanks Ed!  :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈 

"Maybe it's not my weekend,  but it's gonna be my year" ~ All Time Low

"No one else is dealing with your demons, meaning maybe defeating them could be the beginning of your meaning friend" ~ TOP

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille
    The Mix said:
    @Laine

We will be emailing/PM'ing the people who have signed up this afternoon. If you aren't down we will drop you a PM!

Ed
    I didn`t get an email or pm
    Actually, getting changed and getting home should get me home and on my laptop by about 6:25pm-6:30pm
    Hey everyone, 

You can join the chat this evening by following this link here

All the best,

Aife