Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Let's have a chat about Chat :)

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited August 2018 in Community Announcements

So, August seems to be The Mix month of surveys. Thanks to all who have taken our annual survey in the banner above, you may see this popping up soon across the website too.

To help those experiencing survey withdrawal, we have another one for you to complete! As you may have seen from the confetti canon, it's our 18th birthday as a community, and so we are looking to set out our plans for building the community moving forward. 

So, to help our thinking, we really want to hear your thoughts on how chat is, and what we could do to improve it. All thoughts and views welcome :)

Ed, Aife and Mike
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Much as I'm usually happy to fill in surveys for your office, the link you gave means I have to make a Microsoft account.

No, thank you. :/

And who is Ed?

• AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    The newbie to this part of the team hes been a mod for a while working down at HQ.
    He goes under the name Edward8. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
    Ah - congratulations, @Edward8 - that's tremendous news! =)

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    edited August 2018
    I didn`t have to make an account. Or at least I wasn`t told to. Unless I was logged into my school account.
    Post edited by TheMix on
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Floxy said:

And who is Ed? 

The age old existential question :) As @Abigail said, I have been lurking about for a while at The Mix, but am going to be more present on the boards, so hello  =)

In terms of the need for an account, sorry about this, we hadn't adjusted the survey to make it public, and so all should be live and account-free now. So all should be able to get involved now :)
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Edward8 said:
    Floxy said:

And who is Ed? 

The age old existential question :) As @Abigail said, I have been lurking about for a while at The Mix, but am going to be more present on the boards, so hello  =)

In terms of the need for an account, sorry about this, we hadn't adjusted the survey to make it public, and so all should be live and account-free now. So all should be able to get involved now :)
    Thanks, Ed. It's great to see you on the Team. :)
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Edward8 said:

Hi Ed!

Nice to meet you - congrats on joining the team, and look forward to seeing you around the forum a little more!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    edited August 2018
    Thanks both :) 

Just a little bump of this thread, would be great to get some more thoughts on chat if anyone has a few moments to fill this in

Ed

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    It would be great if chats worked like facebook, with a box on one side if the screen, so I could still look at topics whilst chatting. That way if I think someone might benefit from a page on the Mix I can link it to them without having to go back and forth or between tabs. Instant refresh would be great too, I only see new messages if I refresh the browser.

If possible a Mix Chat app would be cool too as sometimes typing into the text box becomes bugged and auto-correct starts making up strange new words (That could just be my phone) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2018
    Hi

im sorry- I think i have filled this in but i dont think i wrote much.  Would it be annoying if i did it again?  I just wanted to write in the “what do you get from chats that you dont get from the discussion boards” that i like the fact that chats leaves and isnt anywhere afterwards expect i know that you get the transcript or whatnot. But like with the boards it stays public- if know what i mean. But yeah thats obvious. So maybe not
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Eyepatch said:
    It would be great if chats worked like facebook, with a box on one side if the screen, so I could still look at topics whilst chatting. That way if I think someone might benefit from a page on the Mix I can link it to them without having to go back and forth or between tabs. Instant refresh would be great too, I only see new messages if I refresh the browser.

If possible a Mix Chat app would be cool too as sometimes typing into the text box becomes bugged and auto-correct starts making up strange new words (That could just be my phone) 
    This is interesting @Eyepatch :)

Would you want an app that also had the boards in the same place?

Shaunie said:
    Hi

im sorry- I think i have filled this in but i dont think i wrote much.  Would it be annoying if i did it again?  I just wanted to write in the “what do you get from chats that you dont get from the discussion boards” that i like the fact that chats leaves and isnt anywhere afterwards expect i know that you get the transcript or whatnot. But like with the boards it stays public- if know what i mean. But yeah thats obvious. So maybe not
    No worries @Shaunie we can either include what you have written here, or you can fill in the survey again. Up to you :)

Ed

• EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    The Mix said:

Yes please :) I don't know all that much about creating apps but I would love to help with the visuals 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    Eyepatch said:
    The Mix said:

Yes please :) I don't know all that much about creating apps but I would love to help with the visuals 
    @Eyepatch, This has been mentioned a lot. If you use your phone a lot for chat and/or the boards at the moment i know the team have suggested to use a shortcut and pin it to your home screen on your phone. Its not like an app its more of a widget but its been a good fix for a lot of people. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
    Did I sign up for the chat on Wednesday?
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    edited August 2018
    Hey @Kasa2103 - yes you did :)

This is a last bump for signing up for the chat tonight (6.30-7.30pm) come ready with all your thoughts about chat!

Ed

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Ah oh i think i signed up to this and totally wanted to go to it but cant :(
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited August 2018
    I can make it, but confused. Doesn't take much though 
    The Mix said:
    Hey @Kasa2103 - yes you did :)

This is a last bump for signing up for the chat tonight (6.30-7.30pm) come ready with all your thoughts about chat!

Ed
    Thank you. I might be about 5 minutes late though.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I think I signed up but I have no idea 😂 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    @Laine

We will be emailing/PM'ing the people who have signed up this afternoon. If you aren't down we will drop you a PM!

Ed

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Great thanks Ed!  :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    The Mix said:
    @Laine

We will be emailing/PM'ing the people who have signed up this afternoon. If you aren't down we will drop you a PM!

Ed
    I didn`t get an email or pm
    Actually, getting changed and getting home should get me home and on my laptop by about 6:25pm-6:30pm
    Hey everyone, 

You can join the chat this evening by following this link here

All the best,

Aife