You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Legal Highs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone.

I've never taken a 'legal high' (e.g. Salvia or Kratom or whatever else) before, but I was wondering if anybody here has?

What were your experiences on the drug? Was it easy to get hold of? Why did you opt for a legal high rather than an illegal high? Was legality an issue for you or were you just experimenting regardless of the legal status?

I was just wondering because I don't think I actually know anyone who has taken legal drugs for recreational use, and I think it's an interesting option.

Thanks. :)
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    98% of legal drugs don't have an effect, or a less than great effect.
    Most drugs are illegal for a reason, which is they have powerful desired affects.
    Although Salvia and a couple of others, benzo etc which are legal do work and do create varied effects although are normally quite expensive, if not at all worth it.

    I've tried quite a few cannabis substitutes none of them have ever created an effect even close to smoking weed.
    Most MDMA/Coke legal substitutes such as MDAI MDAT NRG-2+ didn't have a 'high' effect, but had side effects that i wouldn't ever recommend.

    I wouldn't consider legality with drugs ever be an issue, of helping me to decide what i'd rather take, it's only ever been useful to me in the sense that if it's legal, it probably does nothing at all.

    Getting legal highs are very easy, i know two or three shops withing a mile of me that sell them, you can get them online on millions of websites.

    All i'd suggest is if you're going to try these things, make sure you know what your taking, where you're getting it from, and research it, find reviews and talk to people be safe :)

    Also throw yourself a look at this:
    http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/legalhighs/usinglegaldrugs/whatarelegalhighs
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is that like the 98% of statistics that are made up?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    Is that like the 98% of statistics that are made up?
    Well yes, of course it was. Just my way of expressing a point and opinion on what i think about legal highs. That's all :)
    I'm sure there are lots of legal 'highs' that do work, i've just not come across many.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As mentioned legal highs in general are crap. They might contain a high dose of caffeine or something completely random. Don't be sucked in by all the ridiculous names - if you want a particular substance, do your research and find out how to get it.

    Salvia can be quite hit and miss between batches. Even if you find a decent supplier the dosage might vary from one batch to another. In terms of the effects, they can be fairly intense. Have you tried any drugs before?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried any drugs before?

    Nope. Never. Not even, like, alcohol :P haha. I've never had any desire to try any kind of recreational drug until very recently but personally, I'm really opposed to alcohol, for example.

    I struggle with depression a lot and I just really want a release from it sometimes.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,026 I eat threads for breakfast
    I struggle with depression a lot and I just really want a release from it sometimes.

    Honestly don't think this is a good reasion to get into drugs.

    Drugs can certainly be fun and for that reason can certainly help you work off some stress at the end of the week, but I think looking for something for self medication is a very bad idea.


    As for legal highs. I've come across some pretty good stuff. Don't forget up until recently drugs like Mephedrone, Methylone and other cathinones were legal and certainly had an effect - some of which I thought were very enjoyable.

    5-MeO-DALT is still legal and a very a powerful psychedelic. I stupidly took 180mg (almost 10 times the amount tested by Shulgin) and had a very powerful trip. Visual distortions, intense body vibrations, nausea and hunger and dizziness.

    Salvia, very powerful stuff. Not really enjoyable, though it does sometimes give me the giggles on small amounts. Mostly just really fucking weird.

    There are also some very good coke substitutes around, most noteably Magic and China White. Both of which offer better value for money and piss all over 99% of the coke in this country.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You're just going to make yourself worse, I think.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A lot of drugs are said to exacerbate depression. The thing is, they're unpredictable and unregulated. You're wise to stay off alcohol, that does tend to make things worse for people (it certainly does for me) and I think you'd be sensible to keep off other stuff too. And as Skive says, self-medication is often a bad idea. It only masks the problem.

    I know exactly what you mean, I'm often tempted to just go along with it when my friends take drugs because I want to get out of myself, but I just have to remember how bad the comedown makes me feel when I've been drinking.

    There are other ways to get a release from yourself. Exercise is good, music lessons or ensembles, etc. Drugs are probably not going to get you what you want.

    Having said all of that, and I hope it didn't sound preachy, I haven't ever used anything other than alcohol to control my moods so I'm not speaking from vast experience.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    There are also some very good coke substitutes around, most noteably Magic and China White. Both of which offer better value for money and piss all over 99% of the coke in this country.

    Glad you had fun, i bought an ounce of this stuff called Snow, all that it was legal coke. Felt like it for the first couple of ours, and then it just turned all of us into complete spastic's lol
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    piccolo wrote: »

    I know exactly what you mean, I'm often tempted to just go along with it when my friends take drugs because I want to get out of myself, but I just have to remember how bad the comedown makes me feel when I've been drinking.

    There are other ways to get a release from yourself. Exercise is good, music lessons or ensembles, etc. Drugs are probably not going to get you what you want.

    Having said all of that, and I hope it didn't sound preachy, I haven't ever used anything other than alcohol to control my moods so I'm not speaking from vast experience.

    It's not like, a peer pressure thing...I only have one friend that takes anything other than alcohol and about 90% of my friends don't even drink.

    Exercise I have been told about but I just can't get myself to do it when I'm feeling low, you know? I play violin too but I don't even enjoy it any more really. I used to be a member of a youth orchestra but I quit that in December because I no longer enjoyed it.

    I know it probably makes me sound whiny and immature but I do not want to have to cope with my stupid low moods all the time. I am supposed to be getting proper help with them soon (I'm having my second assessment appointment with my psychologist and psychiatrist tomorrow), but the system is so extremely slow and some days/weeks feel like the most pointlessly exhausting battles ever. I feel like I need a break sometimes.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,026 I eat threads for breakfast
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not like, a peer pressure thing...I only have one friend that takes anything other than alcohol and about 90% of my friends don't even drink.

    Exercise I have been told about but I just can't get myself to do it when I'm feeling low, you know? I play violin too but I don't even enjoy it any more really. I used to be a member of a youth orchestra but I quit that in December because I no longer enjoyed it.

    I know it probably makes me sound whiny and immature but I do not want to have to cope with my stupid low moods all the time. I am supposed to be getting proper help with them soon (I'm having my second assessment appointment with my psychologist and psychiatrist tomorrow), but the system is so extremely slow and some days/weeks feel like the most pointlessly exhausting battles ever. I feel like I need a break sometimes.

    I get it, but I don't think this is the answer.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Drugs aren't the way to deal with mental health problems. They just mask the problem. If anything, they could just make you worse. And what would it lead to? You becoming addicted and wanting to try other stuff? before you know, you won't be able to function without drugs.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Legal Highs

    Well, I'm no expert on this. But I can say there are a couple of books out there that can take you down a euphoric route. I have NATURAL HIGHS by Patrick Holford and Dr Hyla Cass.

    You could also try drugs (the illegal kind) but if you do, please know your tolerances (small amount and build up).

    I do think that out of all of them MDMA crystals are the best, and if you want your night (or even day) to be orgasmic, then I recommend a massage. Start with the head or arms, and develop from there. Obviously you need someone to massage you, but hell its fan-tast-ic!!!! If you can afford it have a tantric massage (this is a mind blowing experience anyway, but with a tiny bit of an enhancement is beyond description.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    IME there's no legal high that beats an illegal high, some powerful stuff out there perfectly legal though.

    I'd recommend avoiding drugs for an escape, especially if you're low in will-power, that desire is what leads to addiction. If you you want an escape now, likelihood is you'll need an escape constantly once you've passed the "honeymoon" period drugs tend to offer and before you can admit it to yourself you'll be well on the way to self-destruction.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can get get amphemines legally.. prescribed only if you have something like ADHD, thats all I know. lol.
    Skive wrote: »
    5-MeO-DALT is still legal and a very a powerful psychedelic. I stupidly took 180mg (almost 10 times the amount tested by Shulgin) and had a very powerful trip. Visual distortions, intense body vibrations, nausea and hunger and dizziness.
    Where do you get it, seeing as its legal? I've never heard of that and Google doesn't show much info except describing the chemistry of it.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,026 I eat threads for breakfast
    Threxy wrote: »
    You can get get amphemines legally.. prescribed only if you have something like ADHD, thats all I know. lol.


    Where do you get it, seeing as its legal? I've never heard of that and Google doesn't show much info except describing the chemistry of it.

    From a local legal high shop in Bournemouth. They used to seel all sorts. I say shop but it was a number you rang and they would deliver. Be carful with the DALT. It fuck me up a lot.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tried methoxetamine recently, which is an analog of ketamine. Used to have a taste for ketamine a few years back, but intentionally distanced myself from drug taking and lost all contact with dealers.

    Not done anything for 2+ years but decided to give this a try "for old time's sakes". A word of warning for anyone wanting to try it, it is very, very potent. I made the amateur mistake of redosing too early and in return spent hours wishing it would end.

    I've done stupid amounts of LSD/mushrooms in the past, had some horrific trips in my time, one particular night in a hotel room watching the foundations of our universe and dimension disassemble before my very eyes while being held hostage, paralysed and interrogated by demons from another realm while having visual images of family members being tortured and dismembered being subconciously fragmented into my mind's eye. But not even that had as much impact as this methoxetamine experience.

    Genuinely felt like being trapped in purgatory, locked into an unfamiliar and bizarre setting with no way out. Felt my inner core and psyche being defragmented block by block and being reconstructed all wrong. Never really had mental health problems in the past, but had periods where I've questioned my sanity, like a lot of people I would imagine, but I spent what felt like an eternity just thinking "so this is what it is like to be a fully blown schizophrenic". An over whelming feeling of what I had done to myself I'd taken too far this time, and I'd permanently damaged my brain structure.

    That to me was more horrific than any hallucination I've ever seen, and has had a pretty severe effect on me. Staring directly into the face of schizophrenia and just thinking "this is it, it's finally happened - there's no going back this time". Feeling my personality being dragged in two very different directions, having a running commentary in my head from a chorus of voices. Just left me with a feeling of wanting to pull my face apart it felt like I was under so much pressure (pressure in the phsyical sense, like being submerged deep under water or up in space). Couple with being convinced one of my teeth had gone rotten and trying to loosen it from my jaw. Not to mention after 4 or 5 hours deciding I had had enough and attempting to retire to bed and try sleep it off. Some workmen were doing something to a drain down the road and had their hazard lights on their van all night. What would have normally been a minor inconvenience/annoyance had transformed in my head to a full scale hostile attack. Felt like I was caught in crossfire in the London blitz, complete with full sound effects, and sensations of bombs landing in the background. Pretty similar to the hotel-room-come-Vietnam scene from Fear and Loathing, but with an overwhelming feeling of dread. Horrific. Didn't fall asleep until nearly 7am.

    I had read somewhere in terms of potency it's somewhere between ketamine and PCP - and the internet is littered with stories of people summoning near superhuman stength from PCP and either causing other people serious damage or doing themselves serious, irreversible damage. Feel quite lucky to have woken up with a full set of teeth.

    Had roughly 120mg, the remainder of the gram went straight in the bin. If nothing else, it's a definite end to my drug taking days. I feel too mentally fragile to go through anything like that again. So just approach with caution anyone wanting to try this, or any RC's at all, even if like me you thought yourself too seasoned a drug user to worry about anything the drug can throw at you - your mind is a powerful thing and I was surpised at the ferocity and relentlessness of what was happening.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    M y son's teen friend experimented with magic mushrooms over the summer and then walked into his own home and committed suicide. Putting yourself in an altered state with any substance is to put yourself and your family and others at risk. To think it can't happen to you, well, you are wrong. It can.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,026 I eat threads for breakfast
    M y son's teen friend experimented with magic mushrooms over the summer and then walked into his own home and committed suicide. Putting yourself in an altered state with any substance is to put yourself and your family and others at risk. To think it can't happen to you, well, you are wrong. It can.

    Does that go for for getting drunk as well?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think getting drunk is a bit more predictable in its effects. When you are buying illicit drugs you don't really know what you are getting, the concentrations and so forth. And, things like PCP and others can cause a severe paranoia and distortion of reality. I just don't think it is the same thing and certainly nothing to mess with in my opinion.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,026 I eat threads for breakfast
    I think getting drunk is a bit more predictable in its effects.

    And that's why people still die from alcohol poisoning, alcohol related liver disease and why A&E departments are filled with drunk people every weekend ois it
    When you are buying illicit drugs you don't really know what you are getting, the concentrations and so forth.

    Sounds like an argument for decriminalisation to me.


    It very is much of the same thing. Alcohol, Weed, Ecstasy whatever ...nothing going to do you much good if you abuse it or use it irresponsibly.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am not advocating using any substance. Yes, people die from alcohol. People die from cheeseburgers as well and all kinds of things. Alcohol has a long , long history in the history of mankind. We know what it is and what it is all about. And, society has determined that we will allow some risks to society to allow people to indulge in this. But, legalizing other drugs? Other than MJ which seems pretty mild, i would in no way support legalizing other drugs. And, we already have enough people impaired on alcohol, do we want to add even more to the problem?
    As for using, nobody intends to become an addict. Nobody picks up a drink and bong pipe and says I hope i become a hopeless addict and destroy my life. I tell my kids that when you take drugs, eventually drugs take you. What might start out as innocent occassional use becomes more and more over time and soon you are going down a terrible lifepath. It just isn't worth it.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,026 I eat threads for breakfast
    Alcohol has a long , long history in the history of mankind. We know what it is and what it is all about. And, society has determined that we will allow some risks to society to allow people to indulge in this.

    Not much of an argument. People have been eating mushrooms, drinking potions and smoking sacred weeds for longer they've been drinking alcohol and Cocaine was a very popular drug 100 years ago and completely socially acceptable.

    Drug laws shoudl be based on fact and logic, not on tradition and what is 'socially acceptable'.

    The illegality logic loop
    You can't compare harms from a legal activity to and illegal one
    Why not?
    Because one is illegal
    Why is it illegal?
    Because it is harmful
    Don't we need to compare harms to determine if it should be illegal?
    [thinks]
    You can't compare harms from a legal activity to and illegal one?
    [repeats] :banghead:
    But, legalizing other drugs? Other than MJ which seems pretty mild, i would in no way support legalizing other drugs. And, we already have enough people impaired on alcohol, do we want to add even more to the problem?

    Cannabis isn't a 'mild' drug, it's effect can be seriously strong and like other psychoactive drugs can be abused and cause problems. This doesn't mean it shoudl be illegal though.

    The question needs to be asked does prohibition make things worse or better for society. My view is that for many substances it makes it worse. Illegality creates a black market that funds organised crime and puts users at a higher risk because the drugs are unregulated and possibly dangerous.

    See what the experts think
    _49735645_drugs_comparisons_464gr.gif

    From here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210

    There's also the question of personal freedoms. Why should I be prosecuted for picking and eating mushrooms that grows naturally in my own garden, which as far as I can see is a victimless crime? A substance is not inherently morally right or wrong, it's just a substance, a chemical?
    As for using, nobody intends to become an addict. Nobody picks up a drink and bong pipe and says I hope i become a hopeless addict and destroy my life. I tell my kids that when you take drugs, eventually drugs take you. What might start out as innocent occassional use becomes more and more over time and soon you are going down a terrible lifepath. It just isn't worth it.

    Complete guff.
    Most people who drink, or take drugs do so without it negatively affecting their lives. The truth is that I have taken drugs, (ecstasy, cocaine, LSD, mushrooms etc etc), have a good job, a girlfriend and a house and am quite happy - as are the majority of people who take or have taken drugs.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,026 I eat threads for breakfast

    This is the absurdity of drug laws and how the common media and political stance is miles off the mark.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well whatever. We dont' need any more substances available to impair people. We have a big enough problem with that already. There is no compelling reason to legalize anything else, no benefit of society to do so.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,026 I eat threads for breakfast
    Well whatever. We dont' need any more substances available to impair people. We have a big enough problem with that already. There is no compelling reason to legalize anything else, no benefit of society to do so.

    People still take them and these drugs are still readily available despite the law, and criminalising drug use causes more many more problems for society than it solves.

    Adjusting the law for heroin to enable it to be given to addicts on prescription would massively benefit society and users.

    Drug laws in this country (and your personal views of drugs) are based on ignorance and fear leading to a moral position that's absurd, rather than scientific fact and logic leading to an approach of common sense.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    Adjusting the law for heroin to enable it to be given to addicts on prescription would massively benefit society and users.

    Drug laws in this country (and your personal views of drugs) are based on ignorance and fear leading to a moral position that's absurd, rather than scientific fact and logic leading to an approach of common sense.

    In an ideal world I'm sure a lot of people would agree with that. I used to think full legalisation would resolve a good proportion of social issues affecting drug use. But it's a very naive stance - think of the financial ramifications. Who's funding this junkie free for all at every chemist up and down the country? Me, the taxpayer?

    And of course you'll respond with "drugs will generate far more income than they'll cost". But then where would we be, dependant on a minimum quota of drug use every month to break even?

    It would never work, the quicker people get over that the better IMO.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,026 I eat threads for breakfast
    Who's funding this junkie free for all at every chemist up and down the country? Me, the taxpayer?

    It would save the tax payer a lot of money. This has already been successfully trailed in other countries. If you gave addicts heroin on prescription....

    ...you'd cut a massive amount of drug related crime
    ...the medical bill for addicts would be reduced due to clean drugs and clean needles
    ...you'd save on the legal costs of prosecuting addicts for possession
    ...you'd bring addicts into contact with professionals that can help them, without the fear of being treated like a criminal

    all saving the tax payer more money than it would cost to hand out morphine on prescription.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No. I don't think you can make a compelling argument as to why there would be some societal benefit or value to removing barriers and laws to obtaining more substances that result in impairment. It may be true that some drugs are no worse than alcohol. However, that is not a compelling argument for society to change laws to allow even more people to indulge drugs of impairment.
Sign In or Register to comment.