Home Anything Goes

down loading Vista RTM

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
i heard a lot about people downloading Vista? where i can get this?
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You cannot ask that!!

    + RTM stands for release to manafacture (which means you can not download it)

    But i can point you towards the windows vista website.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    *cought* torrents.

    I can't link ya to anything, sorry. But maybe say if you put the words torrent and spy together....

    Also, ain't worth it yet unless you REALLY want to try it - it isn't cracked.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dont see the point in getting a cracked version, you'll just get spammy messages from microsoft when you try and update it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    try isohunt... dot com, maybe. they're all public trackers though so you'll get shit speeds
    CoolMe wrote:
    + RTM stands for release to manafacture (which means you can not download it)

    He didn't ask what it meant :P
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    Replicant wrote:
    dont see the point in getting a cracked version, you'll just get spammy messages from microsoft when you try and update it.

    Don't update pirate software, silly!:rolleyes: Some people... sigh.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    but what if it needs updating :p
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    Replicant wrote:
    but what if it needs updating :p

    Windows never "needs" updating.

    Infact installing Service Pack 2 did more harm than good. As in, extrme data loss.

    It owrked fine before hand. Now I get stupid annoying messages telling me this and that and I don't care. And Security Centre was a STUPID idea. It's shit.

    And they didn't even solve the BIGGEST problem that upgrading a drive from FAT32 to NTFS causes the file system to die!

    Wankers.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I posted a thing from microsoft.com saying how it had been cracked and details of the crack... but it got deleted :p.

    To be honest you're probably better not worrying about it now, play about with it in a shop next year to see if you like it. If you do, buy it retail then - even when it is cracked they've got different versions now, and you'll find it hard or impossible to get the kind of functionality you want at home (media centre etc.) in a cracked version.

    Also, they'll need to 'phone home' periodically, and if your credentials don't check out then you get knocked down to ultra limited functionality. So that CD key you got today that works in 2 months when they recheck it could be blacklisted. Just look at windows XP, when it was first cracked any cd key would do just about, now you need an actual key otherwise it breaks.

    There are always ways round it, but with Microsoft investing heavily in anti piracy measures (they identified cutting piracy as one of the key ways to increase profits - and their targets are to increase exponentially, AFAIK they set profit targets of 125% of last year!) so you can bet that since they got pwned just a bit by pirates last time they're not going to do it again.

    Also please take note they are more security concious on their hotmail service and xbox 360. They're logging everything you do :-).

    Hopefully I'll be working for them in 5 years time. Doubt it though :( why would they need a clumsy mathemetician (btw, serious answers to that would be great :D)
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    I posted a thing from microsoft.com saying how it had been cracked and details of the crack... but it got deleted :p.

    It is only a crack that works until the beta period ends - if you know of another one, tell me! PM plz. I wonder what MS will do once the beta is over and all the keys get ended... ;/
    To be honest you're probably better not worrying about it now, play about with it in a shop next year to see if you like it. If you do, buy it retail then - even when it is cracked they've got different versions now, and you'll find it hard or impossible to get the kind of functionality you want at home (media centre etc.) in a cracked version.

    Also, they'll need to 'phone home' periodically, and if your credentials don't check out then you get knocked down to ultra limited functionality. So that CD key you got today that works in 2 months when they recheck it could be blacklisted. Just look at windows XP, when it was first cracked any cd key would do just about, now you need an actual key otherwise it breaks.

    Some of us can't summon large amounts of cash out our arses for Ultimate, and I don't see why I should buy a more limted version instead if I can't afford it - its all the same thing. They are just punishing me for not being rich.

    As for hte phone home system - I hope there is a way to disable that. Someone will figure it out, I hope! Any old XP key does still work... I have had no problems with my pirated SP2 integrated version with activation crack... any old keygened key does it for me!
    There are always ways round it, but with Microsoft investing heavily in anti piracy measures (they identified cutting piracy as one of the key ways to increase profits - and their targets are to increase exponentially, AFAIK they set profit targets of 125% of last year!) so you can bet that since they got pwned just a bit by pirates last time they're not going to do it again.

    Also please take note they are more security concious on their hotmail service and xbox 360. They're logging everything you do :-).

    Bastards! Why would they log 360 activity though? That makes no sense... its only a fecking console! :lol: Waste of dosh there.
    Hopefully I'll be working for them in 5 years time. Doubt it though :( why would they need a clumsy mathemetician (btw, serious answers to that would be great :D)

    Fuck it, you should fit right in judging by the qaulity of MS products...:rolleyes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Bastards! Why would they log 360 activity though? That makes no sense... its only a fecking console! :lol: Waste of dosh there.

    they have already been banning consoles from xbox live for running hacked dvd drive firmwares,it seems they can see everything about your 360 once you get onto live which is a pain in arse, there are ways around it however, just a bit of a pain.

    as for vista, i'll wait for cracked full version me thinks....
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, what I posted was the fully cracked version. It was because to verify a VLK version you need to connect to a server. So some company in China (because they hate microsoft, thus why it was on the microsoft forums) has set up their server to auth all incoming requests.

    Also, if you're low on cash, you can get a lesser version and then do a 'live upgrade' - basically you pay to upgrade and it does it automatically.

    As for the quality of Microsoft products... if they were so shit (as they obviously are :p) why does everybody use them? You've got linux for free if you want it!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Windows never "needs" updating.

    Infact installing Service Pack 2 did more harm than good. As in, extrme data loss.

    Bullshit, reinstalled a pc yesterday using an xp sp1 disc, within minutes of being online AVG was reporting trojans and viruses.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You've got linux for free if you want it!

    Thats because the free stuff is always crap:)

    Thats why the stuff that cost is cracked:D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=498853

    Microsoft Windows XP MCE 2005 URP2 SP2b OEM Single Pack w/Ugrade Coupon to Windows Vista

    £74.67 including VAT.

    Hardly going to break the bank is it? Two OSs in one really, XP AND Vista.

    The only thing that concerns me is whether you can buy it yourself and use it on your own 'self built' system.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Some of us can't summon large amounts of cash out our arses for Ultimate, and I don't see why I should buy a more limted version instead if I can't afford it - its all the same thing. They are just punishing me for not being rich.:

    Can't afford it, or won't pay for it - don't use it. Simple as. It isn't that hard to find the cash to buy OEM versions.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can't afford it, or won't pay for it - don't use it. Simple as. It isn't that hard to find the cash to buy OEM versions.

    CTSM can you verify the link I put will legitimately let me upgrade to Vista?

    Looks to be a brilliant upgrade path if so.

    Or do you have to be a registered system builder?

    FFS, firefox eating 50% of CPU resources (in a dual core system) and using 120mb RAM. Time for a new browser I think.

    eta: checking with scan on hexus.net to see if it's possible. If so then it is by far the most cost effective solution to upgrading to vista.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    noog wrote:
    Bullshit, reinstalled a pc yesterday using an xp sp1 disc, within minutes of being online AVG was reporting trojans and viruses.

    And, I put a XP SP2 integrated system on the net with no AV once to download and install one (using IE admitadly). I have 5 viruses once it was installed.

    Windows Firewall is practically useless. If it isn't on and auto update isn't on you have to turn of notifications or get 100 popup messages.

    SP2 did some good. However, it was a broken upgrade, and ALOT of people lost alot of data trying to upgrade from sp1 to sp2. Undeniable.

    I know people who are holding it off with a perfectally stable sp1 install because they don't want to risk it having read up on what can happen online.



    As for Vista being cheap - I bet that isn't ultimate edition though. I don't see why I should get a lesser product because I am not well off enoguh for it. Talk about discrimination - they should offer all at the same price. If you don't need or ain't gonn use all the features, buy a versino without it. Or offer versions fine-tuned for certain applications - server edition for example, business, and "home" should just be ultimate with everything.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    CTSM can you verify the link I put will legitimately let me upgrade to Vista?

    Aye, should do. Am guessing you'll have to send off for the voucher though - for it to be valid, I'm guessing you'll have to purchase hardware at the same time. Look for a cheap mouse or heatsink :).

    For what it's worth, I'd stick with XP until at least 6 months after Vista release. Let things settle down - supply will open up and prices will drop. Plus you'll lose a lot of the problems initially encountered :).
    FFS, firefox eating 50% of CPU resources (in a dual core system) and using 120mb RAM. Time for a new browser I think.

    http://www.konqueror.org/

    It's superb. My browser of choice, these days :).
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aye, should do. Am guessing you'll have to send off for the voucher though - for it to be valid, I'm guessing you'll have to purchase hardware at the same time. Look for a cheap mouse or heatsink :).

    Funny you say that, was just looking at buying a mouse/keyboard combo off scan anyway. The Microsoft Natural range or something. Also looking for a TV tuner but am thoroughly confused by analogue / digitial / PVR etc.

    Wonder what's the best one to just plug an aerial in or to plug a cable from a games console (non HD).
    For what it's worth, I'd stick with XP until at least 6 months after Vista release. Let things settle down - supply will open up and prices will drop. Plus you'll lose a lot of the problems initially encountered :).

    I'm hoping to be able to dual boot, but whether I can or not who knows. It might be mandatory to have only one of the two OSs installed at any time. But a cracked version of XP will do just as good.

    http://www.konqueror.org/

    It's superb. My browser of choice, these days :).

    Will give it a look :) cheers

    p.s. I've fallen in :heart: with the Yamaha Diversion 600 now. I'm so fickle :D

    eta: giving me a linux browser eh :p whats the big idea? I have -no- clue how to install compile or whatnot it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    As for Vista being cheap - I bet that isn't ultimate edition though. I don't see why I should get a lesser product because I am not well off enoguh for it. Talk about discrimination - they should offer all at the same price. If you don't need or ain't gonn use all the features, buy a versino without it. Or offer versions fine-tuned for certain applications - server edition for example, business, and "home" should just be ultimate with everything.

    No, as far as I know:

    Windows XP Home will upgrade to Vista Home Basic
    Windows XP Media Centre Edition (which I linked to) will upgrade to Vista Home Premium
    Windows XP Professional will upgrade to Vista Corporate

    Have you read the differences between Ultimate and Home Premium? I doubt you're going to use most (if any) of the ultimate features. I think people have got used to having 'everything' with XP being cracked, but at the end of the day Vista isn't going to work as effectively. I think it's highly likely there will be a cracked version - but it will probably be corporate which doesn't have media centre etc.

    I think the most exciting thing about ultimate over home premium was the fact it defrags on the fly. The rest is basically remote administration and server tools.

    Also, if you really need vista ultimate, when you have home premium you can go on Microsoft's website and do a 'live update' - since all install CDs contain all the content you only need to change your CD key on their server end so it's registered as 'ultimate'. The price of this is probably less than doing it from the start.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    I think the most exciting thing about ultimate over home premium was the fact it defrags on the fly. The rest is basically remote administration and server tools.

    Also, if you really need vista ultimate, when you have home premium you can go on Microsoft's website and do a 'live update' - since all install CDs contain all the content you only need to change your CD key on their server end so it's registered as 'ultimate'. The price of this is probably less than doing it from the start.

    True that.

    But am I the only one who is super excited about defragging on the fly? The performance boost this offers makes me super-happy. No more wasting time defragging!
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I don't see why I should get a lesser product because I am not well off enoguh for it. Talk about discrimination - they should offer all at the same price. If you don't need or ain't gonn use all the features, buy a versino without it. Or offer versions fine-tuned for certain applications - server edition for example, business, and "home" should just be ultimate with everything.

    But that's life, innit?

    If I can't afford to buy Asda Extra Special beans then I will buy the standard. If I can't afford to buy standard Asda beans, I shall buy Asda Value beans. Should I go up to customer services and complain because I am getting a lesser product because I can't afford Extra Special? I think I should go and throw my toys out of my pram, shout discrimination and steal the extra special beans because it simply isn't fair.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    But that's life, innit?

    If I can't afford to buy Asda Extra Special beans then I will buy the standard. If I can't afford to buy standard Asda beans, I shall buy Asda Value beans. Should I go up to customer services and complain because I am getting a lesser product because I can't afford Extra Special? I think I should go and throw my toys out of my pram, shout discrimination and steal the extra special beans because it simply isn't fair.

    Ideally that would be the way.

    We don't have to put up with this - however most people are too ingorant or too bothered with Big Brother Celebrity Island XXXXXVI to bother with those stupid "poltics". :rolleyes:

    You should have a choice of which product you like best beans wise, and they should all be the same price. So you get to chose which beans you find the tastiest.

    Do you think it is OK that poor people can't choose what they ;like because they work a job that has crap pay which, still has to be done, but because they don't have loads of qualifications, they don't get the money? As such, they are not entitled to it?

    Just think what would happen if the all the Binmen did Open University courses and got better jobs... and there were no binmen.

    Anyway. P&D areas. I still don't see why I should be forced to get a lesser copy of Vista 'cos I don't have a load of Cash.

    Fuck it. XP will do me as a main OS until I am inevitably forced ot upgrade to Vista and have no other option. You aren't, you notice, forced to upgrade to the most expensive Beans...;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Spoken to Scan:
    Sorry but the upgrade to Vista would only be available if the software was purchased with a fully built system, and the licence pre-installed onto the purchased system.

    The upgrade would be invalid if the licence was purchased with separate parts.

    Sorry

    That's a shame isn't it. Ah well :-)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're being sold on eBay as OEM but they say you can upgrade yourself. Am in touch with someone now and if it works out ok then I will report back :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well after reading all those posts, i think i should post something as im the only one here who gets a bona over vista.

    Some intresting views!!

    Like a post above said, we have XP that has everything so we will want EVERYTHING! and the thing about the price - The products with "less" stuff on it should be sold at a very low price!:thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    True that.

    But am I the only one who is super excited about defragging on the fly? The performance boost this offers makes me super-happy. No more wasting time defragging!

    Did you know linux never ever needs defragging ;). Because it locates files randomly across the disk so if you delete a file then save a new one, there's usually enough space for the whole file, whereas windows just puts them one after the other without any space between.

    If you want a free os I'm sure CTSM can recommend any number of good distros :p.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "Do you think it is OK that poor people can't choose what they ;like because they work a job that has crap pay which, still has to be done, but because they don't have loads of qualifications, they don't get the money? As such, they are not entitled to it?"

    at the end of the day Vista belongs to Microsoft and they have the right to sell it at any price they want to,

    "Just think what would happen if the all the Binmen did Open University courses and got better jobs... and there were no binmen."

    i think you find most Binmen are on good money anyways

    "Anyway. P&D areas. I still don't see why I should be forced to get a lesser copy of Vista 'cos I don't have a load of Cash."

    no one is forcing you to buy vista, its a choice, and at the end of the day if you wanna use it you will buy it, if you cant aford the one you want then wait till you have the cash to buy the better verson

    "Fuck it. XP will do me as a main OS until I am inevitably forced ot upgrade to Vista and have no other option. You aren't, you notice, forced to upgrade to the most expensive Beans...;)"

    again no one will force you to upgrade, its your choice
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    Territt wrote:
    at the end of the day Vista belongs to Microsoft and they have the right to sell it at any price they want to,

    You think that? So say, farmers could all agree to sell thier meat at £1,000,000 pound a cut and force anyone who can't afford it starve to death? It is thier right after all, they raise the cattle.

    Wow. I don't want to live in your extreme capitalist world.
    Territt wrote:
    again no one will force you to upgrade, its your choice

    But if I don't upgrade, I can't run any new programs or games after they stop supporting XP.

    It isn't force in the true sense of hte world - like the above example - I could raid peopels bins for scraps of food. But it still isn't acceptable IMHO.
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You think that? So say, farmers could all agree to sell thier meat at £1,000,000 pound a cut and force anyone who can't afford it starve to death? It is thier right after all, they raise the cattle.

    Wow. I don't want to live in your extreme capitalist world.



    But if I don't upgrade, I can't run any new programs or games after they stop supporting XP.

    It isn't force in the true sense of hte world - like the above example - I could raid peopels bins for scraps of food. But it still isn't acceptable IMHO.
    You seem to be confused. Vista / computers / XP etc is not a necessity for life. Your comparison is flawed.
This discussion has been closed.