Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gym rats unite!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oooooooooooooooooooo - had a wicked session last night and am ready to hit it again tonight before a rest day tomorrow...

Makes *such* a difference not doing an all night drink/drugs session. Need to keep an eye on that as been going too nuts recently.

Also got a shipment of BCAA in last week - let's see how they go :)
  • Options
    Do let me know how you get on with those, we're on our last tub of protein powder.

At the moment I'm really focusing on balancing my meals and trying to get more protein into the equation (there was an article in T-Nation about it, will try and fish it out, it's on my other laptop). Had quite a good session on the treadmill today, in general I've noticed my CV fitness has improved in leaps and bounds. I'm sure the extra muscle has a part to play in that :D
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Do let me know how you get on with those, we're on our last tub of protein powder.

At the moment I'm really focusing on balancing my meals and trying to get more protein into the equation (there was an article in T-Nation about it, will try and fish it out, it's on my other laptop). Had quite a good session on the treadmill today, in general I've noticed my CV fitness has improved in leaps and bounds. I'm sure the extra muscle has a part to play in that :D

There was a brief thing I read the other day in Men's Fitness (I forget the exact wording) then went along the lines of:

What is the best way for atheletes to do to improve their strength when on a strength training rest day?

Sprinting.
  • Options
    Yeah I think it was on stumptuous somewhere about the benefits of high intensity cardio than low intensity. I see myself clinging onto my muscle for dear life :D
  • Options
    Yeah I think it was on stumptuous somewhere about the benefits of high intensity cardio than low intensity. I see myself clinging onto my muscle for dear life :D

Yeah - low intensity will burn the muscle after a very short while, HIT or rather, HIIT will burn the fat. RAWR!!

I just hate all cardio hahhaah
  • Options
    I'm sure I burned off a little bit from Friday's clubbing :D I was sweating like a p-i-g either way.

Having my body fat checked again tomorrow :nervous: Really hoping it'll be down to 18% by the end of the summer.
  • Options
    I'm sure I burned off a little bit from Friday's clubbing :D I was sweating like a p-i-g either way.

Having my body fat checked again tomorrow :nervous: Really hoping it'll be down to 18% by the end of the summer.

Aye - I am going to have to get mine checked again at some point. Been ages since I had it done!

I wonder if my mate has been on that course yet..................... Just sent him an SMS to find out.
  • Options
    Ooh, do find out, I'd like to know how he got on.

This is the article I found 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs

If little time to read, here's the breakdown:

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).
  • Options
    Ooh, do find out, I'd like to know how he got on.

This is the article I found 7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs

If little time to read, here's the breakdown:

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).

Bloody good info there - but I do find following something like that very difficult when stuck in an office. :( I do my best though :) Going to read the entire article now.

Now, if I can wangle working from home on my next contract (unlikely) that would be possible :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I've got the frequent eating bit down to a t, it's just getting the protein into my meals. I had a scoop of protein powder in my porridge this morning, twas yum.

Wish I could work from home :no:
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a bugger.

At the moment I am quite lucky as Nokia lay on a bit box of fruit twice a day for us to munch on :)

BAH - I cooked up two chicken breasts to munch on and left them in the fridge at home... Just remembered.

Frequent eating I excel at... I'd eat all day if I could fit the food in! :D
  • Options
    That's very nice of them. I was about to say I wish Marie Stopes gave us free fruit at work, then I realised, they do :lol:

I'm reading the thread on gym etiquette. Hmm.

At my gym. I'd go with:

* I know you're a big, strong man, but can you please put your dumbbells and weights back after you've used them?

* The 20 minute cardio machine limit is there for a reason. Please observe it

* Yes, I'm a woman doing free weights. You don't need to stare. I'm not going to threaten your masculinity by working out, just because I match your flies, it doesn't mean your penis will fall off.

* Wipe your bench down after use :(
  • Options
    I thought this one was well funny - wait for the CrossFit bit:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1538491
  • Options
    :lol:

Any more sightings of your beloved Crossfit Nicole?
  • Options
    :lol:

Any more sightings of your beloved Crossfit Nicole?

Only in my dreams.

She was throwing me all over the bedroom ;)
  • Options
    Gotta love a girl who can deadlift :D

Have to say, I can't wait to start deadlifting tomorrow, I think it'll be the push my legs need, I got a little fed up with the isolation exercises.

My biceps have got their little bump back ;)
  • Options
    :D

I'm got a nice burn going today from last night's session. Can't beat it!
  • Options
    Had one of the most amazing sessions EVAR :D

Was taught and performed the deadlift. Got to 20k in the end (excluding the bar), was most pleased, I'm sure I can increase it next time.

Tried squatting with the 20kg bar, but got worried about toppling over, so I asked one of the instructors to spot me. He was brilliant! We kept adding weight until I was squatting with 7.5kgs, he thinks I could have handled 10kgs, but he said my form was excellent throughout, and he thought that I was doing great for someone who hadn't squatted with weight before.

My quads and glutes feel shattered! He gave me some useful advice on front squats and told me to come and find him if I wanted more work on the lower body.

V. pleased with progress, was a good starting point but I think next time I'll add a little more weight.
  • Options
    Update: very sore today, but good sore :D

Video tutorial of the deadlift - such a good exercise, apparently better than the sq'uaaht :D
  • Options
    It is as it utilises pretty much all the muscle groups in the body :D

Good video. Notice the slight inverse bending of the lower back.
  • Options
    Also releases lots of growth hormone!

Had another one of those bf readings yesterday. Taking it all with a bucket of salt, apparently in a week it dropped by 4%! I don't believe it, but still made me laff
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Also releases lots of growth hormone!

Had another one of those bf readings yesterday. Taking it all with a bucket of salt, apparently in a week it dropped by 4%! I don't believe it, but still made me laff

With calipers?
  • Options
    No, with a machine thing. I never expected it to be accurate in the first place, I was just curious. Tbh, I'm happy enough seeing my progress in the mirror, but I never turn down an opportunity to play with toys
  • Options
    BF readings are always very up and down no matter what method you use. Your weight and hydration levels fluctuate as you go about your daily life. These fluctuations will affect body fat readings throughout the day so its best to make sure that you measure it around the same time of the day of your last one.
  • Options
    Also i have increased my weight quite considerably. Am now benching 110Kgs can only do 6 reps but should start getting easier soon. Im lacking a gym buddy at the moment so i have know one to spot me, so im screwed if i can't make that last lift on my 6th rep.
  • Options
    I don't think I could bench 10kgs yet :D well done on the progress though
  • Options
    A useful article on interval training:
    A 2005 study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology found that after just two weeks of interval training, six of the eight college-age men and women doubled their endurance, or the amount of time they could ride a bicycle at moderate intensity before exhaustion.
    After interval training, the amount of fat burned in an hour of continuous moderate cycling increased by 36 percent, said Jason L. Talanian, the lead author of the study and an exercise scientist at the University of Guelph in Ontario. Cardiovascular fitness — the ability of the heart and lungs to supply oxygen to working muscles — improved by 13 percent.

:)
  • Options
    I haven't gone to the gym since Monday and I feel like such a couch potato. :o
  • Options
    Wow, you all put me to shame. I'm doing a 20 mile walk this weekend, which I know will knacker me out. My ass ain't half risen though with all this walking.
  • Options
    My ass ain't half risen though with all this walking.

:D

Anything is always better than nothing ;)