Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gym rats unite!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lipsy wrote: »
    Now the real question... join a gym thats quite close to my workplace or join a gym further away where i know fit men will go :chin:

Hahaha - join the one closer to work. Even though the lure of fit men will be high, you'll find less excuses to avoid the gym if it's just around the corner :)
  • Options
    Well, I'm back after a torturous half hour in the fitness test. 2 mins a piece for each of the push-up and sit-up tests. How many you could do in 2 mins. Score:

46 press-ups in 2 mins
    54 sit-ups in 2 mins

Bleep-test. Forgot how f**king hard this thing was. Was beat after level 7... Sucks... :(

So, overall, not too shabby I think, having not trained at all for weeks, especially in running cardio (swimming cardio is a different story). Probably going to do it again in a couple of weeks and actually train for it this time. Reckon I could easily hit 60+ push-ups and 70+ sit-ups. Wanted to get to level 11 for bleep-test (requirement for Royal Marines), but reckon that'll be a fair bit off.
  • Options
    Press ups = :nervous: still, I think you'll polish your form up quite quickly.

Thinking about going to the gym later to do my lower body :chin:
  • Options
    Well, I'm back after a torturous half hour in the fitness test. 2 mins a piece for each of the push-up and sit-up tests. How many you could do in 2 mins. Score:

46 press-ups in 2 mins
    54 sit-ups in 2 mins

Oooo - the bleep test is a bugger. Been YEARS since I did that.

I'm gonna do the pressups/situps in 2 minutes thing over the weekend, see how I do. Bit too sore to give it a shot today.
    Thinking about going to the gym later to do my lower body

Go on - you *know* you want to :)
  • Options
    I know! I'll feel motivated once I have peed as someone in the house is using the bathroom :crazyeyes
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I know! I'll feel motivated once I have peed as someone in the house is using the bathroom :crazyeyes

:lol:

Amazing how that can take the edge off fun, huh??
  • Options
    Sweeeet relief :D

Right, am off to see if I can still do 70kgs on the leg press. Going to work my abs till they burn :D
  • Options
    Sweeeet relief :D

Right, am off to see if I can still do 70kgs on the leg press. Going to work my abs till they burn :D

RAWWWwrrwrwrwrrr :mad: :D
  • Options
    I can still do 70kg on the leg press :D upping it to 79kg next week as I didn't find it as challenging (but didn't want to overdo it on my first day back)

42kg on the seated leg curl

Usual ab work, felt a bit of a burn, again, didn't want to overdo it as my bad arm started to get sore.

Good workout all round :D
  • Options
    I can still do 70kg on the leg press :D upping it to 79kg next week as I didn't find it as challenging (but didn't want to overdo it on my first day back)

42kg on the seated leg curl

Usual ab work, felt a bit of a burn, again, didn't want to overdo it as my bad arm started to get sore.

Good workout all round :D

I had a TERRIBLE workout this afternoon - just got back.

I started yawning after the first set. Always a bad sign... I struggled on through and got a few things done but...

Time for the weekend! :)
  • Options
    Ah well, at least you got through it. Yay for the weekend!

I'm really going to struggle with not being able to do upper body work for the next 6 weeks :crying:
  • Options
    Ah well, at least you got through it. Yay for the weekend!

I'm really going to struggle with not being able to do upper body work for the next 6 weeks :crying:

Bah - it'll be reet, girly :)

I'm going to have a lovely wedge of fillet steak when I get back to London tonight... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    Just adding some cool little vids I saw.

Girl vs Boy. Because, because - women and men have a different physiology! So that means women should only lift little pink weights ;)

Posted this in another thread but it deserves a place here! Just because it's low impact, doesn't mean you won't get *high* results :D
  • Options
    Ok, so in 6 weeks time I've got to wear a ball dress. I don't want to diet because well, diets don't work and I eat rather healthy stuff most of the time anyways.

I'd like to tone up all round a bit. I know I can't do much in 6 weeks but its worth a go and its something I'd keep up after the ball. Any tips anyone?

eta: I don't have a gym membership because I'm really poor. However, I do have a cross trainer and an abs trainer thingy. I'm also thinking of buying a trampette (cheaper than a gym membership and its something I can keep) :D
  • Options
    I don't have a gym membership, sod the gym, work out at home. I bet I am poorer than you! lol

I like squats, lunges, dancing, pull ups, push ups, running, roller skating- none of which require gym membership. If you can borrow a child, carry one while you do lunges and you get a butt of steel, or fill a backpack full of stuff- water bottles is good, and do them like that. If you don't have a bar (£6 in argos, well they were...) go to the park, and you can use the top bar on the swings, or if your fingers are hard, you can use a door frame. Some of the stuff I do would be pointless joining a gym for. Try getting into the pussup position but one your elbows and forearms, instead of moving, just stay still for as long as you can. Face away from a wall, feet hip width apart about a foot from the wall and sit up against it- if you get what I mean? Try pushing against a wall with al your might. There's loads of stuff you can do without the gym!

Go for a jog- get fitter. Go for a jog uphill- get harder. Go for a jog downhil- get faster.

Expect to get bigger for the first few weeks whatever you are doing, but don't let it put you off, just keep going and you will get to feel trimmer and firmer!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I don't have a gym membership, sod the gym, work out at home. I bet I am poorer than you! lol

I like squats, lunges, dancing, pull ups, push ups, running, roller skating- none of which require gym membership. If you can borrow a child, carry one while you do lunges and you get a butt of steel, or fill a backpack full of stuff- water bottles is good, and do them like that. If you don't have a bar (£6 in argos, well they were...) go to the park, and you can use the top bar on the swings, or if your fingers are hard, you can use a door frame. Some of the stuff I do would be pointless joining a gym for. Try getting into the pussup position but one your elbows and forearms, instead of moving, just stay still for as long as you can. Face away from a wall, feet hip width apart about a foot from the wall and sit up against it- if you get what I mean? Try pushing against a wall with al your might. There's loads of stuff you can do without the gym!

Go for a jog- get fitter. Go for a jog uphill- get harder. Go for a jog downhil- get faster.

Expect to get bigger for the first few weeks whatever you are doing, but don't let it put you off, just keep going and you will get to feel trimmer and firmer!

I like your style, missy :):D
  • Options
    Girl vs Boy. Because, because - women and men have a different physiology! So that means women should only lift little pink weights ;)

I am not gonna waste time with any girl V boy shite.

She is plain HOT to me. :heart::heart::heart:

Christ. Be'd give me a fucking good run (but to be honest, I'd do much better than that at the bloke at the 'muscle up' :yeees: His technique was untrained and utterly flawed - as the subtitles show, and I'm small and light :D), but I wouldn't care as I'd be too busy thinking, erm "She is plain HOT to me - can I do stuff to her?".

Oh yes. :D

Who is this Goddess???? I know, Nicole, but MY GOD, where are the women like this in my life? GIVE ME MORE LINKS!!
  • Options
    Ok, so in 6 weeks time I've got to wear a ball dress. I don't want to diet because well, diets don't work and I eat rather healthy stuff most of the time anyways.

I'd like to tone up all round a bit. I know I can't do much in 6 weeks but its worth a go and its something I'd keep up after the ball. Any tips anyone?

eta: I don't have a gym membership because I'm really poor. However, I do have a cross trainer and an abs trainer thingy. I'm also thinking of buying a trampette (cheaper than a gym membership and its something I can keep) :D

Without being funny, does this ring a bell?:

Hmmmmmmmm

That doesn't sound too healthy at all, so I'd just like an honest opinion from yourself on your true diet position? Are you truly "eating rather healthy stuff" most of the time, or are you missing breakfast, snacking on fudge and having kievs and wedges for dinner? :rolleyes:

We can move forward from there, although Katralla gives some good info for home working out. :thumb:
  • Options
    I forgot chair dips, chair dips sting like a bitch but mnake yiour arms look tha bomb!
  • Options

46 press-ups in 2 mins
    54 sit-ups in 2 mins

Bleep-test. Forgot how f**king hard this thing was. Was beat after level 7... Sucks... :(

So, overall, not too shabby I think, having not trained at all for weeks, especially in running cardio (swimming cardio is a different story). Probably going to do it again in a couple of weeks and actually train for it this time. Reckon I could easily hit 60+ push-ups and 70+ sit-ups. Wanted to get to level 11 for bleep-test (requirement for Royal Marines), but reckon that'll be a fair bit off.

Lol. I knew I recognised that test. I had to do it when I applied to join the army. I loved the assault course, especially after just doing the bleep test!!!

I'm in training for a marathon albeit a walking one. I did just under 17 miles a couple of days ago and thought that I was dying yesterday. I need some ideas about what I can do midweek - as it's not an area I can walk in safely when it's dark - to improve my stamina and stuff and stretch out my muscles. It also needs to be something that doesn't require much motivation. i've got an exercise bike - would that be a good idea?

Also what foods and drink should I take with me on this walk o keep me going?
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Without being funny, does this ring a bell?:

Hmmmmmmmm

That doesn't sound too healthy at all, so I'd just like an honest opinion from yourself on your true diet position? Are you truly "eating rather healthy stuff" most of the time, or are you missing breakfast, snacking on fudge and having kievs and wedges for dinner? :rolleyes:

We can move forward from there, although Katralla gives some good info for home working out. :thumb:

Oh, I eat much better than I did when I wrote that thread because I listened to people's advice :p
  • Options
    Who is this Goddess???? I know, Nicole, but MY GOD, where are the women like this in my life? GIVE ME MORE LINKS!!

Will try and find out more ;) I want to be a crossfit girl!

Snow white queen - if you have a cross trainer and an ab thingy (I'd ignore the latter in your routine) then consider that your cardio sorted. I highly recommend 20 minutes of HIIT for efficient fat loss.

I don't know how tight money is, but I really would recommend investing in some dumbbells (Argos do some adjustable ones with different weight levels) which you can use at home and do all sorts of things with, as lifting heavy weights is what will really 'tone' you, not hours and hours of cardio

Loopi - I'm not entirely clued up on marathon runs etc, I'll have a look and see if I can find some links.
  • Options
    More Nicole for g_angel

She deadlifts more than twice her body weight! :eek:

As Krista would say - worship the Goddess at the alter of form! :love:
  • Options
    More Nicole for g_angel

She deadlifts more than twice her body weight! :eek:

As Krista would say - worship the Goddess at the alter of form! :love:

:yum::yum::yum:

Note the grips used to perform the deadlift ;)
  • Options
    Oh, I eat much better than I did when I wrote that thread because I listened to people's advice :p

:D

Good on you girl!

As I said, Katralla seems to have the home/gym free workout routine thing nailed in her post. :)
  • Options
    Loopi - I'm not entirely clued up on marathon runs etc, I'll have a look and see if I can find some links.

It's a walk. I'm not running the damn thing. I don't know how anyone does. It just seems wrong. Any advice you can find would be much appreciated though.
  • Options
    :lol: sorry, been misreading things ever since my dissertation ate my brain.

If I were you, I'd go for a slow energy releasing breakfast with some protein, like scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast, and perhaps taking snacks with you that are easy to digest? Or something like those glucose energy sweets that you can buy if you need a boost during the walk.
  • Options
    Rarrr, very good day had today!

Upped the seated leg press to 79kg :D
    Maintained the leg curl to 42kg, but for my last set I upped it to 49kg :D
    Did a few lunges while holding 6kg above my head in my left hand
    Practiced some squats on the smith machine, might add some weight to it next time :D
    Normal abs work, but if one of the instructors is there on Wednesday for the 15 minute abs, I'll do the class, as I've heard she works people to the bone

I also saw a girl doing squats with the smith machine after me! I almost wept with joy :hyper:
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Yea i find the smith machine very good for doing squats. Go_away how much are you squating?
  • Options
    Do you mean in terms of weights, or sets/reps? I'm still just using it for practice, next time I'll do it I'll add weights. I did 4 sets last time with 8 reps. In truth though, I would like to squat without the machine, I won't want to depend on it too much.