Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gym rats unite!

Comments

• Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    go_away wrote: »
    Ah well, they said the lower body is fine to do, so I'll keep at that and hopefully keep burning the fat off my abs. I'm starting to get a 2 pack :D

Im trying to make my abs come through, not been successful though its annoying really, I just gets so bored when doing situps and crunches. A 2 pack is the first step to getting a 6 :yes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've found putting some weights behind my head during situps (about 5kg, I use) really helps to add to the burrrrn :D

Cardio has really helped though. Even my boobs have shrunk, and they were always more glandular than fatty :yippe:
  • Options
    Yea i have already tried adding weights to situps, i think i used to use a 20Kg disc but i think im one of those unlucky people who can't get a 6 pack, my dad can't get one either when he was training
  • Options
    smitherz wrote: »
    Im trying to make my abs come through, not been successful though its annoying really, I just gets so bored when doing situps and crunches. A 2 pack is the first step to getting a 6 :yes:

Well - you could have the most amazing abs on the planet.... But without burning the layer of fat off, you're not going to see them! Crunches won't burn the fat... You're gonna have to get some interval training in to really shift it, or start with some fat cutting supplements :)
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Well - you could have the most amazing abs on the planet.... But without burning the layer of fat off, you're not going to see them! Crunches won't burn the fat... You're gonna have to get some interval training in to really shift it, or start with some fat cutting supplements :)

I haven't really got much fat there! I just find it hard to work my abs through. Maybe im not doing enough, i do try and not to do cardio though because i don't want to loose anymore weight or all the lifting will be a waste of time
  • Options
    I haven't really got much fat there! I just find it hard to work my abs through. Maybe im not doing enough, i do try and not to do cardio though because i don't want to loose anymore weight or all the lifting will be a waste of time

Interval training won't make you lose weight though - it's short and sharp bursts that strip the bodyfat, not long sessions of calorie burning cardio which burn a mixture of fat and muscle tissue.

Perhaps it not a case of not doing enough, but that you need to take a different approach to your abs work. If you pick up a copy of Men's Health or Men's Fitness, they have a monthly Abs section. Your body learns and gets used to the same workout, week in, week out. You need to change your approach a bit every month or you'll stop making gains.

In one of your earlier posts, you mentioned you were in a 'cutting' phase...
  • Options
    I think i need to wait til i can change my diet. As my diet consists of high calorie and healthy fats for muscle building its kind of hard to loose weight on the stomach. I think i shall work on that when im finished with my regime. I suppose you can't bulk and loose weight at the same time can ya!
  • Options
    Haha - well, the two are kind of going against each other, but it is possible!

Check out www.t-nation.com - they have some superb articles on there which may be able to help you out :)
  • Options
    Do you think it's worth me keeping up with my supplements. Six weeks of no upper weights, I'm worried I'll waste away

Hmmm - what supplements are you taking?

What I would say is that you should carry on taking them. Even if you're not working your upper body, the lower body/core/cardio exercises you are doing will still be working your body hard, and so the supplements will still be effective.
  • Options
    A multi-vitamin, and some protein powder belonging to my boyfriend.
  • Options
    A multi-vitamin, and some protein powder belonging to my boyfriend.

Your not going to waste away with 6 weeks no training on the upper body. For what reason are you taking protein powder?
  • Options
    I normally have it as my 6th meal of the day, or straight after a workout as I find it helps me to recover quickly and I don't feel as sore.
  • Options
    I normally have it as my 6th meal of the day, or straight after a workout as I find it helps me to recover quickly and I don't feel as sore.

I don't know how the protein does that. Your better off not having that and having a good diet consisting of alot of fruit and veg plus your vitamins and possible a good blend of amino acids to increase endurance. Protein powders are expensive for how long they last, only really beneficial for muscle growth with the correct diet in place. And 6 meals and your a lass? what are you eating?
  • Options
    6 meals is recommended for ANY sex, not just male. It's a healthier way to eat - smaller amounts more often.

Also, if somebody is looking to increase their muscle mass, often there is a physical limit to the amount of food they can eat. "Healthy" eating doesn't necessarily contain sufficient amounts of protein to promote nor sustain muscle growth. Fruit certainly doesn't. Amino acids are certainly essential though - and if you buy your protein powders from the States, I guarantee you will save a packet. These products are another example of 'rip off Britain' in action.

I find that 4 'meals' a day, plus 3 x protein shakes + pieces of fruit as another 3 'meals' is about right for me.

The benefit of the protein shakes is that they contain very little of the fats and calories that, for example, you are eating - and so they don't promote unnecessary bodyfat.

As a side note, protein in itself doesn't aid recovery specifically...

From t-nation:

Nutritional supplements basically enable us to amplify the relative anabolic signaling strength of our nutrient supply. Thus, if you normally had to eat 500 extra calories per day to gain muscle, through the use of proper supplements you might be able to eat maintenance or even below maintenance calories while still maintaining a good muscle building state.

If you were to eat over maintenance calories, supplements would enable you to gain muscle just that much faster.

Consider that muscle isn't really built by protein ingestion, but rather the breakdown of that protein into individual amino acids, which then build the muscle. Some of those amino acids are more important than others at building muscle. The really important muscle building aminos are the BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
  • Options
    My diet is good, with plenty of fruit, veg and lean protein. If it wasn't for the protein shake, I'd be eating protein straight after my workout anyway, it just saves me having to take in a boiled egg and slices of turkey to the gym.

I have three small meals a day, and 3 snacks in between.

A typical day would be:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs on wholemeal seeded toast/porridge with fruit
    Snack: piece of fruit
    Lunch: wholemeal pasta with vegetables or salmon and vegetables
    Snack: raw veg dipped in hummous
    Dinner: chicken/turkey/fish/lean beef/lamb and vegetables
    + protein shake after the gym.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, I know you gave me some names of powders you get from the states, I'll order them from there next time we order some.
  • Options
    6 meals is recommended for ANY sex, not just male. It's a healthier way to eat - smaller amounts more often.

Also, if somebody is looking to increase their muscle mass, often there is a physical limit to the amount of food they can eat. "Healthy" eating doesn't necessarily contain sufficient amounts of protein to promote nor sustain muscle growth. Fruit certainly doesn't. Amino acids are certainly essential though - and if you buy your protein powders from the States, I guarantee you will save a packet. These products are another example of 'rip off Britain' in action.

I find that 4 'meals' a day, plus 3 x protein shakes + pieces of fruit as another 3 'meals' is about right for me.

The benefit of the protein shakes is that they contain very little of the fats and calories that, for example, you are eating - and so they don't promote unnecessary bodyfat.

I agree with 6 meals a day can be for any sex because if eating smaller portions it can increase the metabolic rate hence loosing weight alot easier. However high amounts of protein from shakes + food is not needed for females, most women are thinking of toning, buying protein shakes are a complete waste of money. All the nutrients needed can be obtained in foods. Really you shouldn't consume more than 35G's of protein at any one time as anything in excess in converted in the body. Typically most protein shakes are 50G's of protein per serving, which is why i half my shake scoops but take more of them in a day.

I don't think i get ripped off for my protein, i pay £30 for a 5Kg tub of protein + complex carbohydrates from a new health shop that has opened in my area, alternatively you can buy cheap from www.myprotein.co.uk

Oh and protein shakes should never replace a meal
  • Options
    I agree with 6 meals a day can be for any sex because if eating smaller portions it can increase the metabolic rate hence loosing weight alot easier. However high amounts of protein from shakes + food is not needed for females, most women are thinking of toning, buying protein shakes are a complete waste of money. All the nutrients needed can be obtained in foods. Really you shouldn't consume more than 35G's of protein at any one time as anything in excess in converted in the body. Typically most protein shakes are 50G's of protein per serving, which is why i half my shake scoops but take more of them in a day.

I don't think i get ripped off for my protein, i pay £30 for a 5Kg tub of protein + complex carbohydrates from a new health shop that has opened in my area, alternatively you can buy cheap from www.myprotein.co.uk

Oh and protein shakes should never replace a meal

Ok, a few points on this:

1. To 'tone', you still need to build muscle. go_away seems to have some fairly clear goals. Not all women are just after the whole 'toning' thing.

2. Protein going part way to 'replacing' a meal is perfectly acceptable in my mind, and to the mind of many trainers/lifters out there. A lot of the time it's just not possible to either find the time to prepare nor actually physically consume the amount of food necessary. I know I find it pretty much impossible to eat 6 meals+ a day. Eating like this isn't just for losing weight - it's better all round!

Sounds like you have a decent source for your protein - Maximuscle, Met Rx et al are certainly not cheap though.

From my experience though, there are few protein shakes that are 50g per SINGLE serving - most are around 20-23g/scoop with 3 scoops per DAILY serving. Often the labelling can be quite confusing.
  • Options
    I am trying to find a link to the article, but alas, it's not there.

When Gavin Henson was told to put on 6kgs, yet keep his speed, his diet was split up as follows by his nutritionalist + trainer (:

Breakfast
    Couple of hydrating drinks
    Shake + fruit
    Lunch
    Shake + fruit
    Early dinner
    Later dinner
    Shake + fruit

I'll get the exact details when I get home and grab my copy of the magazine (Men's Health).

If pro atheletes are using them for gains, specified by their trainers, I tend to find it's good enough for me.
  • Options
    A typical day would be:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs on wholemeal seeded toast/porridge with fruit
    Snack: piece of fruit
    Lunch: wholemeal pasta with vegetables or salmon and vegetables
    Snack: raw veg dipped in hummous
    Dinner: chicken/turkey/fish/lean beef/lamb and vegetables
    + protein shake after the gym.

Well done if you can keep that up. Do you ever drink alcohol or eat a choccy bar?

Out of interest what are your goals? Have you lost weight/toned up significantly?
  • Options
    No, I don't drink alcohol. Sometimes I'll have a glass of something if it's someone's birthday, but it's not even a once a month thing. I tend to treat myself to good quality chocolate once a week. Once you get into the routine of a workout, you don't really miss sweet things to be honest, especially overprocessed stuff like donuts. There's nothing wrong with things in moderation, but because I'm working out a lot, I pay a lot of attention to what I'm eating as it affects my workout.

My own goals are to reach a shape where I have decent muscle mass for me, with low levels of body fat. What most people would call 'toned' I suppose, think Evangeline Lily (hello!).

evangeline-lilly.jpg?t=1166657991

I was a size 10 a few months ago, but I had a lot of body fat, a 'skinny fat' as it was, small doesn't equal lean, sadly. So far (I started in Jan), my arms have much more definition, especially in my tricep and bicep areas. I've lost a lot of fat in my trunk, where most of it was, and even my breasts have shrunk a little bit. My stomach is now flat, but there's still a bit of fat to shift before I start seeing the muscle underneath. My legs have got smaller/leaner, and they don't wobble when I walk, I can actually see the muscle moving when I do so. My size 10 jeans are now loose on me, when at my heaviest I was carrying a muffin :blush:

Takes a while to see progress in terms of a changing body shape, but I do feel it when I'm able to up the weights I'm using, and I have a lot more energy and feel generally better about myself than I ever have been.
  • Options
    I want before and after pics, please? lol
  • Options
    No way you're getting before! :lol: Well perhaps, but I'll have to get my boyfriend to take some pictures of me flexing :D
  • Options
    cool :D do it!
  • Options
    This thread is such a good idea. Hopefully it'll keep me on the straight and narrow :p

Anyway, I'm heading off to a fitness test tonight. Bleep-test, press-up test, and sit-up test.... First time I've done maximal testing in a long time, so I don't hold out much hope for a good performance. I'll report back tonight :)
  • Options
    This thread is such a good idea. Hopefully it'll keep me on the straight and narrow :p

Anyway, I'm heading off to a fitness test tonight. Bleep-test, press-up test, and sit-up test.... First time I've done maximal testing in a long time, so I don't hold out much hope for a good performance. I'll report back tonight :)

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Right I'm joining the gym! I can't be bothered with dieting though because I don't eat that badly and I definitely don't need to lose weight due to my junkie ways. Just a bit of toning up I guess and to get those endorphins pumping is my main thing.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Right I'm joining the gym! I can't be bothered with dieting though because I don't eat that badly and I definitely don't need to lose weight due to my junkie ways. Just a bit of toning up I guess and to get those endorphins pumping is my main thing.

Good plan!

Just remember to give it some welly. See the links in the other thread I posted for some advice :)
  • Options
    Good plan!

Just remember to give it some welly. See the links in the other thread I posted for some advice :)

Now the real question... join a gym thats quite close to my workplace or join a gym further away where i know fit men will go :chin:
  • Options
    There's no point in dieting (i.e. restricting food groups etc) as your body will just starve, and start eating away at muscle, then when normal eating resumes, the fat comes back. Just be aware that what you eat is important when you're working out, but if your diet is pretty good, you'll probably find you don't need to tweak that much. It took me about a year to change my eating habits e.g. eating more fruit/veg, less refined carbs, low GI etc so don't push yourself too much, joining a gym is good in itself.

If you want to lose body fat, and improve muscle definition i.e. tone, then short bouts of intense cardio is effective at burning fat and not muscle, and of course, le weights ;)
    Hopefully it'll keep me on the straight and narrow :p

Damn right, now drop and give me 10 :D