Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Religious people know they are full of shit.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Prove it
    Thought I'll pre-empt his next move. "you're making the claims, burden of proof, etc etc." Think that's right. :D
  • Options
    Thought I'll pre-empt his next move. "you're making the claims, burden of proof, etc etc." Think that's right. :D
    People always say "there is no God/afterlife" ect ect... Isn't that something incredibly arrogant to say seeng as nobody knows for sure?

I always say prove it... Then they get all whiny and say "you prove your point"...
  • Options
    Prove it?

Simple.

If there is no evidence for something, then it is said to not exist. There is no evidence for your assertion. Evidence being a much needed part of proof and all that.
  • Options
    People always say "there is no God/afterlife" ect ect... Isn't that something incredibly arrogant to say seeng as nobody knows for sure?

I always say prove it... Then they get all whiny and say "you prove your point"...
    Well saying "there's no such thing as god" translates as "I don't believe in god" and the same for the reverse. No-one knows for sure, but you have to come from the position that if there is no evidence for something, then it is assumed not to exist until that evidence is found. Christians consider the bible to be sufficiant evidence for the existance of god, other people don't.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Prove it?

Simple.

If there is no evidence for something, then it is said to not exist. There is no evidence for your assertion. Evidence being a much needed part of proof and all that.
    Not really... I'm sure if somebody back in the middle ages said that dinosaurs existed once, people would view it as bullshit, it doesn't mean that dinosaurs never existed, it is just that at the time nobody had ever dug one up.

Secondly, you cannot measure somebody's "inner faith" anyway, it is the same as trying to measure somebody's happiness or sadness. I sincerely hope you do not work in psychology or with people... Thatwould worry me.
  • Options
    Well saying "there's no such thing as god" translates as "I don't believe in god" and the same for the reverse. No-one knows for sure, but you have to come from the position that if there is no evidence for something, then it is assumed not to exist until that evidence is found. Christians consider the bible to be sufficiant evidence for the existance of god, other people don't.
    No...

Saying "there's no such thing as God" is a statement of fact and one that could be considered arrogant. Saying "I don't believe in God" is simply stating your belief shaped by the world around you.

If you lived in a tribal village and all the time your village was beng raided by men with red caps and you only ever experienced men in red caps being violent and thieving then would you not say "all men in red caps are coming to steal my posessions"? Because it is what you have experienced and what people tell you... When in reality, there could be some very nice men in red caps that you just haven't met yet.

There is a difference between saying "this chair is not red" and "that man is not nice". One is shaped by what we know and the other by our experience and the experience of others. Maybe that man is very nice, but had a bad day... And how do you define "nice" anyway?

Get me?
  • Options
    No...

Saying "there's no such thing as God" is a statement of fact and one that could be considered arrogant. Saying "I don't believe in God" is simply stating your belief shaped by the world around you.
    No more arrogant than saying "God does exist" or more frequently "God says/God teaches us....." though is it? There are some things people say, that you have to assume are their beliefs, not the facts. If someone said to me "Tony Blair is a twat" I wouldn't assume that they were stating a fact there, even though it's expressed as one.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Prove it?

Simple.

Actually that's not true. Unless there is no evidence its unproven it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

To use a non-religious example say I batter a man to death, but clear up my tracks so well there is no evidence that I did it. The police question me because I had a grudge against him, but they're unable to do more because there's no dna evidence, no fingerprints, witnesses etc.

There is no evidence I committed the murder, by your logic that means I did not do it and the man himself whacked himself over the head fifty eight times with a blunt instrument
  • Options
    No more arrogant than saying "God does exist" or more frequently "God says/God teaches us....." though is it? There are some things people say, that you have to assume are their beliefs, not the facts. If someone said to me "Tony Blair is a twat" I wouldn't assume that they were stating a fact there, even though it's expressed as one.
    No, it is no more arrogant, never claimed them to be any better.

"There is no god" is still different to "I do not believe in god"... The same as somebody saying "I believe in God" instead of "God exists and I am so high and mighty I know it".

Besides, faith is not a matter of proof anyway.
  • Options
    NQA.

There is evidence of a murder though, isn't there?

There is no proof that is admissable in court of the existence of god. THerefore under those rules there isn't one.

If you commited murder because your imaginary mate "harry" told you to, then we would look for evidence that this was the case. Finding none, you would be marked down as a nutter and banged up for the rest of your days.

If your mate is "Jesus" or "allah" or whatnot then your insanity is pandered to.
  • Options
    Sure. Why not?
    If you say so.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    NQA.

There is evidence of a murder though, isn't there?

There is no proof that is admissable in court of the existence of god. THerefore under those rules there isn't one.

If you commited murder because your imaginary mate "harry" told you to, then we would look for evidence that this was the case. Finding none, you would be marked down as a nutter and banged up for the rest of your days.

If your mate is "Jesus" or "allah" or whatnot then your insanity is pandered to.

What if I also disposed of the body and left a forged handwritten note saying my victim was emmigrating to Australia. Then there's no evidence of murder.

Lack of evidence for the existence of God is not the same as evidence of the lack of existence of God.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    What if I also disposed of the body and left a forged handwritten note saying my victim was emmigrating to Australia. Then there's no evidence of murder.

Lack of evidence for the existence of God is not the same as evidence of the lack of existence of God.
    Here here!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

there is no proof there isn't a god.
    if it was taken to court ...it would be preytty difficult to prove that everything just came into existence from nothing by a billion accidents.
    science shows that life can only come from life ...good eveidence to put before the court.
    nothing materialises from nothing ...ever as far as we can show scientificaly.
    the fact that the universe is here and life ...is enough evidrence for most believers to believe.
  • Options
    there is no proof there isn't a god.

If that is the principle that defines what you believe in then you have to beleiveeverything and doesn't lead to a belief in a single universal kind of god anymore than another principle because if you admit for everything it doesn't really count as proper belief to my mind..........

Is this the case with you?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    If that is the principle that defines what you believe in then you have to beleiveeverything and doesn't lead to a belief in a single universal kind of god anymore than another principle because if you admit for everything it doesn't really count as proper belief to my mind..........

Is this the case with you?
    no no no.
    but ...in a court case scenario ...it would be very difficult to convince a jury that everything came into existense from nothing ...that life came from none life ...as scir=entificaly this would be absurd.
    so ...the believer would say ...well the only sensible conclusion to come to ...based on our scientific knowledge would be ...it must have been created.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Don't make me use the "Dragon in my garage" example. ;(
  • Options
    Is that where Puff has been hiding all these years?? ;)
  • Options
    Is that where Puff has been hiding all these years?? ;)
    Depends what kind of Puff you are on about. ;)
  • Options
    We aren't proving any alternate hypothesis, just discounting this one.

Science might be completely and utterly incorrect. This does not alter the veracity of the "god" hypothesis one iota.

Although science would point out that in the universe as it is known nothing can be created or destroyed, only altered in it's form. As nothing is created, there is no need for a creator. If everything does need to be created, then God must have a creator as well.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    We aren't proving any alternate hypothesis, just discounting this one.

Science might be completely and utterly incorrect. This does not alter the veracity of the "god" hypothesis one iota.

Although science would point out that in the universe as it is known nothing can be created or destroyed, only altered in it's form. As nothing is created, there is no need for a creator. If everything does need to be created, then God must have a creator as well.
    So what you're doing is saying that you don't believe in the Judeo-Christian 'God'.

Different religions have different concepts of what 'God' is. 'God' does not have to be a creator at all... But then being an expert, you knew that... right?
  • Options
    So what you're doing is saying that you don't believe in the Judeo-Christian 'God'.

Yep.
    Different religions have different concepts of what 'God' is. 'God' does not have to be a creator at all... But then being an expert, you knew that... right?

Yep, right ok. Still don't exist of course, not nirvana, not a three headed goat shagging the sun, not the eye of ra beaming down or any of it.

Unless you've got a religion that says "god doesn't exist and is a very very silly idea indeed" I guess I am not going to be onboard.
  • Options
    Depends what kind of Puff you are on about.

Funny lad!

I was however referring to your "dragon" comment immediate preceeding my post.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Toadborg wrote:
    Proof is needed in knowing. Knowing something is another way of saying you're sure about something. You don't have to be sure about something to believe it.
  • Options
    You have to be unsure to believe something.

Theres no need for belief if there is no doubt, that's the whole point. All religions specifically state they have no proof but you must believe anyway.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My point was that for all I know there are 3 gods, one who's green with yellow spots, one who's red with purple spots and one who's blue with white spots. I can't prove or disprove this any more than I can prove or disprove the existance of the christians' God.
    For all I know either one could be true. But I believe the latter and not the former; knowing has nothing to do with that.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yep.

Yep, right ok. Still don't exist of course, not nirvana, not a three headed goat shagging the sun, not the eye of ra beaming down or any of it.

Unless you've got a religion that says "god doesn't exist and is a very very silly idea indeed" I guess I am not going to be onboard.
    Nirvana is not a 'God' :confused:

I didn't ask you to be on board, it is just that most you have said about religion seems to apply more to the Judeo-Christian strain of thought... I'm not saying that any deity does or doesn't exist, that you are right or wrong... But what I am saying is that there is no evidence for any deity not existing.

Because you have no evidence to back up your claim, it becomes only what you believe. Therefor you are just like them. No better, no worse.
  • Options
    Funny lad!

I was however referring to your "dragon" comment immediate preceeding my post.

I know. It wa just a reference to the old "Puff the Magic Dragon" drugs jokes. :D

Either way.... it seems a few people here could do with a little puff.
  • Options
    I didn't ask you to be on board, it is just that most you have said about religion seems to apply more to the Judeo-Christian strain of thought... I'm not saying that any deity does or doesn't exist, that you are right or wrong... But what I am saying is that there is no evidence for any deity not existing.

:confused:

This is nonsense. You cannot prove negatives. Theres no evidence for any insane theory you might want to invent being the case if you want to play that game.

So we would have to define what proof was, what belief was and where all that hung together. As there is no evidence for god on any standard of proof I am aware of, he doesn't exist.
    Because you have no evidence to back up your claim, it becomes only what you believe. Therefor you are just like them. No better, no worse.

The only claim I make is that in the absence of evidence there isn't anything there. The fact that it's applicable to god is more or less a side issue.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    :confused:

This is nonsense. You cannot prove negatives.

Fucking hell, you spend most of your time here trying to prove countries don't exist, tax doesn't exist and government's don't exist...