Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Religious people know they are full of shit.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    Religious people are great, except for the fact that every time they get power, they want to kill you or turn you into a cultist or servant.

That being the case, the delusional idiots can get stuffed.

Shut it! you're talking shit as usual...
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Religious people are great, except for the fact that every time they get power, they want to kill you or turn you into a cultist or servant.

This isn't the Middle Ages anymore.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

That being the case, the delusional idiots can get stuffed.

No offense, but not once have you even shown any knowledge on the subject of religion, just arrogance, sweeping statements that wouldn't even get you a pass at SAT level and what appears to be delusions in your own perception of reality.

de·lu·sion
    n.

The act or process of deluding.
    The state of being deluded.
    A false belief or opinion: labored under the delusion that success was at hand.
    Psychiatry. A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness: delusions of persecution.

About halfway through I could see it in his eyes that he knew it was all bollocks and he was basically desperate for someone to convince him his rubbish was just that, so he could get some freedom.

I'm sorry, but reading your original (and in my opinion, bigoted) post YOU are the one who appears deluded. Since when could you read minds?

Am I the only person who thinks this?
  • Options
    Am I the only person who thinks this?
    Certainly not.

If anything this thread has proved it.

Tbh, I think klintock will wake up one day and realise he doesn't exist... and so he will disappear in a puff of his own logic (...paraphrasing the great Douglas Adams).
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Certainly not.

If anything this thread has proved it.

Tbh, I think klintock will wake up one day and realise he doesn't exist... and so he will disappear in a puff of his own logic (...paraphrasing the great Douglas Adams).
    :lol: And we will laugh...
  • Options
    all this cultural stuff is partly true ...for some people.
    like catholics and protestants born in different areas of ireland say ...or sihks and jwews.

what of the ardent atheists ...who come to believe through observation and study ...to believe?
    these include scientists ...people switching religion because they 'believe' ...they have at last ...found the truth ...

klintock ...your ignorance and dreadful bigotry realy is showing more and more.
    your attitudes are very close to those of the racist mind.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Delusion - holding a belief in the face of evidence. All religion is holding a belief in the face of all the evidence, or at the very least a total and utter lack of evidence for it's own precepts and is therefore delusional.

I don't exist. There is no such thing as me. Pretty obvious really.

I am very bigoted towards the religious. I don't like nutters much.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Delusion - holding a belief in the face of evidence. All religion is holding a belief in the face of all the evidence, or at the very least a total and utter lack of evidence for it's own precepts and is therefore delusional.

i
    there are many well educated people who see evidence of a creator.
    you are proving beyond doubt that it is you who is full of shit klint.
    with sweeping generalisations you condemn millions to the funny farm.
    you are indeed a bigot ...and a very small minded one at that.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

And this comes from a man who claims to be able to read minds.

By the way, if you're going to be bigoted, at least sound like you know what you're talking about... Did you even do Religious Studies in school (if indeed schools exist, or you even went to one)? Have you ever read a real book or website on religion?
  • Options
    The same could apply to race or nationality too, but these three combined are responsible for practically every war (well actually every war that I know about) in history. I just don't feel that the sense of 'belonging to a group' is a big enough trade off for the problems it causes. Would individual citizens be willing to go to war if it wasn't for 'national pride'? Would race riots occur if it wasn't for 'racial pride'? 'Groups' as a whole are the reason that people are willing to be violent against other people who they've never even met before. If you put the focus on individuals instead, then you'll get a better dialogue of ideas. The old saying "a person is intelligent, but people are stupid" is something I consider very true. It's up to them I suppose though. If you want to feel part of a group, then go ahead, just don't complain when another individual attacks you or doesn't listen to your opinion, just because they are from another 'group'.
    You're skirting the point I was making with this post. I originally said that people who follow organised religion could arguably be happier than those who follow a more individual set of beliefs. This point has nothing whatsoever to do with violence or wars.

I don't understand how you can transform the argument into whether or not 'belonging to a group' is a big enough trade off for the problems it causes. I never said organised religion is a good idea. Quite the contrary, in fact I don't really agree with it. But I do think some people who participate in it are arguably happier than spiritual people who don't.
  • Options
    Read minds|

Nope. Just how people organise their thoughts. It's not even difficult to do.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

sorry are you talking about all religious people? yet another generalisation, you can't force people to believe anything you can only share your belief, big difference........sometimes i wish i could though, seriously just to shut you up ;) i don't know how this thread got to 400 posts you've been repeating yourself for the last 300 or so.........yawn.....you should change your tagline to say 'please don't feed the animal', you know like those signs in the zoo.....
  • Options
    Yes, all religious people.

No, you can't force people to share your belief, unless you are in charge of their schooling. Even those who you haven't schooled you can force to ACT like they believe you which is of course what happens.

Anyone who thinks their way is best will eventually pick up weapons to get you to join in.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

No, you can't force people to share your belief, unless you are in charge of their schooling. Even those who you haven't schooled you can force to ACT like they believe you which is of course what happens.

Anyone who thinks their way is best will eventually pick up weapons to get you to join in.
    the credibility you built up in this place ...all gone now.
  • Options
    I had credibility?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I had credibility?
    oh yeah ...you had some of us fooled for a while there.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What about Jainism and Baha'i (spl?)

What do you think of those religions? If you have even heard of any other than Islam or Christianity.
  • Options
    Why must people deliberately go to an extreme or over-generalise issues when making a point, particularly concerning religion? Some people can be quite argumentative on this site. I don't see the need for trying to piss people off just to make a point.
  • Options
    wouldn't be p+d without it but i think there is a fine line between being argumentative and sheer pig-headedness.....klintock crossed it a few hundred posts back that way <

eta: i don't know why people keep trying to reason with him when its clear he's given up on reason, concerning this thread anyways......
  • Options
    What about Jainism and Baha'i (spl?)

What do you think of those religions?

They are quite ridiculous and pointless. What do you think of them?
  • Options
    eta: i don't know why people keep trying to reason with him when its clear he's given up on reason, concerning this thread anyways......

Reason and religion ? A marriage made in heaven or hell ?
  • Options
    But surely you think your way is best...otherwise, it wouldn't be your way of doing things, would it?

Are you eventually going to pick up weapons and demand we all agree with you?
    the guy is a complete twonk.
    this thread by the way isn't about religion or wether god exists or not ...it's about klintock knowing that NO ONE ...realy believes in god. even those who have changed their religions or started off as atheists.
    klintock claims to know who believes what. he speaks for the whole earth remember.
    he also presents the reading of body language into a fine art ...a science even.
    this is the guy who is totaly against tax ...money ...working for others ....often boasts about liking the company so much ...he purchased it!
    something obviously went terribly wrong for this self proclaimed font of wisdom as he now works for the NHS.
    business studies obviously wasn't his strong point either.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    They are quite ridiculous and pointless. What do you think of them?
    The questions were aimed at Klintock because of his radical generalisations about religion whilst he ignored the fact that there are profound differences between different religions and different locations.

I chose Baha'i because of their tolerence towards other religions and based on their belief that the Divine channels his/her messages through many different prophets of many different cultures. Essentially, whatever god or deity you are speaking to, you are speaking to the same being. In Baha'i equality also transcends things like sex, caste, race and so on...

Quite a contrast to the oppressive people he seems to describe.

Baha'i info can be found here in case you don't know a lot about it.

The Jains practice non-violence (apparently to the extreme of a fruitarian diet according to some sources), some are so tolerent as to work in temples of other religions. Allegedly, Gandhi was influenced by Jainism.

So to claim that if religious people get power they want to turn you in to a 'cultist' or 'servent' and to kill you or whatever, or even the notion that all religious people are violent nutjobs or want to convert you every chance they get is not true. That is like saying all cats are white... Some cats are white, but most aren't. There are cats of all different colours.

What do I think about Baha'i? I think it has some interesting concepts although it isn't hard to see why the followers are so persecuted. The idea of equal rights for women is remarkably radical for the time and place when it came about. However, whilst the religion preaches equality it still asks for homosexuals to remain celibate if they cannot convert (although doesn't go so far as to say 'kill the fags') which kind of contradicts the idea of equality as, whilst it doesn't reject science it does reject scientific findings that say homosexuality is natural. I think philosophically, from what I have read of Baha'i it seems like a beautiful religion. What is so ridiculous about religious tolerence? What is so ridiculous about gender equality?

Why do you think Baha'i is ridiculous (if you've really heard of it.. You haven't displayed any proof of having done so, but I hope the link opens your mind a little)?

Jainism... To call Jainism ridiculous is to insult a great deal of what India is built upon and their culture. Again, I do not see how you can call the idea of equality 'pointless'... I'll admit I am not an expert on Jain Dharma (I'm sure you know what 'Dharma' is and probably think it's pointless too), I'm looking in to Eastern religion and philosophy at the moment for pleasure and I don't see how you can call it 'pointless' or 'ridiculous' at all without studying it deeply... And to study it deeply and truelly understand any of it you'd have to study hard... For a lot of years.

But it'd be interesting why you hold such a low opinion of Jainism.

Long winded post... Sorry!

(And probably the type I won't ge a reply from)
  • Options
    The questions were aimed at Klintock because of his radical generalisations about religion whilst he ignored the fact that there are profound differences between different religions and different locations.

Yeah, I knew t'was at Klintock really.

I do not think there are profound differences between different religions. You are looking into what I would call the details, whilst I am looking at a broad overview. So, whilst I can see and acknowledge the differences you note, some of which you detail below, I find that these diferences are from within a structure that encompasses all religions thereby making them similar and me labelling them all pointless and ridiculous similarly. The similarities, the elements I find ridiculous and pointless, include but aren't limited to: the notion of a 'god' and any human/written messenger thereof, a 'soul', an 'afterlife', etcetera et-ungodly-thinking-wench-cetera etcetera...
    I chose Baha'i because of their tolerence towards other religions and based on their belief that the Divine channels his/her messages through many different prophets of many different cultures. Essentially, whatever god or deity you are speaking to, you are speaking to the same being. In Baha'i equality also transcends things like sex, caste, race and so on...

Quite a contrast to the oppressive people he seems to describe.

Baha'i info can be found here in case you don't know a lot about it.

Have only read a couple of pages about, and only since you mentioned them. They do seem to have the elements I find 'pointless and ridiculous' but I haven't found any reason to believe that any followers would be inclined to opress others violently... Probably harmless? I do like the bit about everyone speaking to the same god though, as an image of thousands of different gods that differing religions praying to, sitting around on clouds in the sky, has often amused me.
    So to claim that if religious people get power they want to turn you in to a 'cultist' or 'servent' and to kill you or whatever, or even the notion that all religious people are violent nutjobs or want to convert you every chance they get is not true. That is like saying all cats are white... Some cats are white, but most aren't. There are cats of all different colours.

Think we agree there then.
    What do I think about Baha'i? I think it has some interesting concepts although it isn't hard to see why the followers are so persecuted. The idea of equal rights for women is remarkably radical for the time and place when it came about. However, whilst the religion preaches equality it still asks for homosexuals to remain celibate if they cannot convert (although doesn't go so far as to say 'kill the fags') which kind of contradicts the idea of equality as, whilst it doesn't reject science it does reject scientific findings that say homosexuality is natural. I think philosophically, from what I have read of Baha'i it seems like a beautiful religion. What is so ridiculous about religious tolerence? What is so ridiculous about gender equality?

Why do you think Baha'i is ridiculous (if you've really heard of it.. You haven't displayed any proof of having done so, but I hope the link opens your mind a little)?

Your own point about the hypocrasy of tolerance displayed in their treatment/beliefs regarding homosexuality confirms that the religion is ridiculous. (for me anyway)
    Jainism... To call Jainism ridiculous is to insult a great deal of what India is built upon and their culture. Again, I do not see how you can call the idea of equality 'pointless'... I'll admit I am not an expert on Jain Dharma (I'm sure you know what 'Dharma' is and probably think it's pointless too), I'm looking in to Eastern religion and philosophy at the moment for pleasure and I don't see how you can call it 'pointless' or 'ridiculous' at all without studying it deeply... And to study it deeply and truelly understand any of it you'd have to study hard... For a lot of years.

But it'd be interesting why you hold such a low opinion of Jainism.

I'll get back to you...

Long winded post... Sorry!

Quite alright. Wasn't that long and was interesting and on topic.
    (And probably the type I won't ge a reply from)

Oh moonrat of little faith...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

interesting and on topic.

QUOTE]slightly off topic i would have thought.
    the tpic being that ...NO ONE ...believes in god.
  • Options
    gah, move with the thread rolly....
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    gah, move with the thread rolly....
    ok then ...i'll try and keep up :)
  • Options
    At this time of night, we can all be excused. Just don't do it again!