Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

South Dakota Passes Anti Abortion Bill

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have any of you actually seen the pictures in the press over the last few months of a baby's development in the womb? Or if pictures aren't your thing, read about this report. Now somebody look me in the eye, and tell me that this isn't a baby you're talking about.

Umm, it's a foetus up until birth. Look it up. If you really really insist, I can call it a baby if you want. I can tell you that abortion aborts le baby, I can tell you all the mean ways the baby is aborted. Wow! Am I suddenly pro-'life'? I'm well versed on embryology, seen the 4D scanning techniques etc, it doesn't make any difference, the woman comes first. I just don't understand why people think the stance is going to change based on what a foetus can or can't do. It isn't about the foetus, it's about the woman's right to decide what is best for her.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Silent Scream...? Nope? No scream? Thought so.
    So you've never looked at Edvard Munch's "The Scream" - is that silent or what? Also ever heard of a metaphor? No, thought not iggy!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So. You protect the right to live of something which cannot sustain its own life, yet if my cat required surgery to live it should be put down.
    Yes. Oh, and put the cat down, its an animal. No comparison.
    The_Gerbil wrote:
    Hell, my Grandfather couldn't support himself without machines, they put him down. Yet a feotus is somehow valued more - a feotus, which unlike my grandfather, contributed nothing to the world, and could KILL A LIVING, HEALTHY WOMAN, and it is valued more than said Woman.
    Yes. "They put him down" - emotive phrase - whats your evidence? Anyway why does one murder justify another airhead?
    Your ole grandaddy may have killed a couple of Nazi's in WW2, or wet himself on Waterloo station, but hey, that feotus could be another Ramone, or Dylan, or Lennon!!!!!! We need them man.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Whats that I hear? Logic leaving the building?
    No, its your reality leaving your brain! Quick grab it before you head off into even more irrational thoughts.
  • Options
    Well, you're quite rude, not least talking about someone's Grandfather like that.

"Silent scream" is an oxymoron, not a metaphor.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Walkindude does this sort of thing all the time. Claims some bullshit as fact, gets challenged on it, then chucks his toys out of his pram, usually claiming he's "studied it". Its hilarious. :D
    Then I feel somewhat vindicated.

For the record, Jeremiah Ch 1 Vs 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born i set you apart..."

Which is probably one of the key definative verses, among others, that is part of the basis for the christian value for life.
  • Options
    Ususually when it comes to facts Walkindude is right, at least he usually provides a fact, unlike some people...
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Ususually when it comes to facts Walkindude is right, at least he usually provides a fact, unlike some people...

:D When? Where? Come on, provide an example.
  • Options
    oh shut up blagsta, your snide comments at me are so boring now.

Fiend, this is a message board, not the UN. Using up my time to search through a big bok to find one quote just to satisfy your own ignorance is not gonna get me anywhere is it?

If I choose to find the quote I will, if I don't, I don't.

I don't HAVE to do anything,

Besides that fact, the Bible can made to say anything you want more or less. It contradicts itself constantly. Add to that it was written by MAN with their own agendas plus the fact your supposed to interpert the bible an dmake choices on it, not take the written word literally.

the bible argument is out of the abortion debate.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Fiend, this is a message board, not the UN. Using up my time to search through a big bok to find one quote just to satisfy your own ignorance is not gonna get me anywhere is it?

I dont know about others but to me it was you who sounded ignorant not Fiend.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If the "baby" can't survive independently of the mother then its part of the mother and her choice. End of as far as I'm concerned.

Well the last bit "as far as I am concerned" is exactly the point I am making, it is a matter of opinion.

Incidentally, surely a baby once born cannot survive independently of its mother?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Incidentally, surely a baby once born cannot survive independently of its mother?

Yeah it can, it can be adopted.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was being rather pedantic there.

For those who think the "woman's right to decide what is best for her" is paramount, do you agree with the practise in some parts of the world whereby girls are far more likely to be aborted than boys?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

:confused:

you never heard of adoption? or the mother dying in childbirth? :confused:
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Yeah, I was being rather pedantic there.

For those who think the "woman's right to decide what is best for her" is paramount, do you agree with the practise in some parts of the world whereby girls are far more likely to be aborted than boys?

Eh? Hows that relevant? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think it's quite a good question, because it's basically asking whether we should make women give a 'good enough reason' for having an abortion.
  • Options
    I think it's quite a good question, because it's basically asking whether we should make women give a 'good enough reason' for having an abortion.

completely different situations in completely different societies and social contexts
  • Options
    It's not relevant; well it's relevant to abortion but is a completely different issue within the topic.

I think in countries and societies where if a foetus is found to be a girl it's likely to be aborted, the actual act of abortion is the least worrying thing.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    completely different situations in completely different societies and social contexts
    Still the same basic question though. Should women be allowed to have an abortion for whatever reason they choose or should there be limits?
  • Options
    briggi

yes, exactly
  • Options
    Still the same basic question though.

Not really, no. As with everything, its all about the social context. And as briggi says, in your scenario, abortion isn't really the issue anyway.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Because if the womans right is paramount then such practise should be condoned surely? If the woman wants to have a boy then aborting girls is right if it what is 'right for her'

Basically, are there limits on the choices the woman can make or do you support ANY choice she makes with reagrds to her foetus?
  • Options

Being pro-choice doesn't mean you have to *like* the reasons for choices that other people make, for whatever reason, but I'd still support their decision to abort.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Because if the womans right is paramount then such practise should be condoned surely? If the woman wants to have a boy then aborting girls is right if it what is 'right for her'

Basically, are there limits on the choices the woman can make or do you support ANY choice she makes with reagrds to her foetus?

See the previous posts.
  • Options
    It IS a good point imo, what reasons you would accept for an abortion. Things that would be guaranteed to make some on here squeamish would be things like "I don't want black children".
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    It IS a good point imo, what reasons you would accept for an abortion. Things that would be guaranteed to make some on here squeamish would be things like "I don't want black children".
    Exactly. If you accept a womans right to choose, you have to accept any reason she chooses surely? It seems to me that certain people (no names given) are trying to dismiss the question simply because they don't want to answer it.

I agree that if we got to the stage where people are trying to abort babys based on sex, race or anything else, then we would need to address the underlying issues that cause people to make these desicions, but that doesn't alter the basic question at all.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

I'm starting to feel a bit frustrated here. In these instances, I would advocate the woman's right to have an abortion for whatever reason. I don't necessarily think she should have to give one. However, in instances such as these it is the underlying social pressures and conditoning that are the burning issue. Harking back to earlier points about educating and understanding, we'd need to try and understand why these women had these convictions and educate them properly. But that is far easier said than done when there is (more likely than not) a Patriarchy leaning heavily on their shoulders. The issue there is not the abortions themselves, that's my take on it, I don't think I can make that point any clearer without my head exploding. ;)
  • Options
    Exactly. If you accept a womans right to choose, you have to accept any reason she chooses surely? It seems to me that certain people (no names given) are trying to dismiss the question simply because they don't want to answer it.

I agree that if we got to the stage where people are trying to abort babys based on sex, race or anything else, then we would need to address the underlying issues that cause people to make these desicions, but that doesn't alter the basic question at all.

Rubbish. As with everything, its about the social context. The issue of abortion does not exist in a vacuum, it exists in a social and politcal context. Toadborg's assertion that "If the woman wants to have a boy then aborting girls is right if it what is 'right for her'" fails to take into account the social pressures that might lead a woman to thinking it is "right for her". Without taking any of that into account, its a meaningless argument (cue cries from klintock et al that "there is no such thing as society" :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I'm starting to feel a bit frustrated here. In these instances, I would advocate the woman's right to have an abortion for whatever reason. I don't necessarily think she should have to give one. However, in instances such as these it is the underlying social pressures and conditoning that are the burning issue. Harking back to earlier points about educating and understanding, we'd need to try and understand why these women had these convictions and educate them properly. But that is far easier said than done when there is (more likely than not) a Patriarchy leaning heavily on their shoulders. The issue there is not the abortions themselves, that's my take on it, I don't think I can make that point any clearer without my head exploding. ;)

Yes, quite.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yeah it can, it can be adopted.
    I bow to you sir.

Walkindude, you lack credibility
  • Options
    pfff

and you lack reality.
  • Options
    It is ingnorant to condemn women who have abortions, call for the abolishing of abortions and cliam that a few cells have the same rights a fully grown woman.

also note that my other points on the bible were ignored.

Your biblical quote about God knowing us in the womb, simply refers to God being ominiscent and it might as well have said he knew us before the womb or even before anyone in the direct line was born.

The bible does not state catogorcialy that life begins at conception and nor does it condmen abortion. Life begins when the baby takes their first breathed outside the womb, referred to as bing "breathed into" in the bible.