Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

South Dakota Passes Anti Abortion Bill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    I didnt even know South Dakota was a particularly puriton state.
  • Options
    This makes my blood run cold.

The bill states that “to fully protect the rights, interests, and health of the pregnant mother, the rights, interest, and life of her unborn child, and the mother's fundamental natural intrinsic right to a relationship with her child, abortions in South Dakota should be prohibited.”

The argument that this legislation is in part to protect a mother's FUNDAMENTAL NATURAL INTRINSIC (has the point been rammed home yet?) relationship with her unborn child is open to all kinds of conjecture - what if the mother doesn't want a relationship with the child? What if the child is not yet a child? This is just a case of the Theocracy injecting the most pernicious and abhorrent myth of all time, of the so-called maternal instinct, into their legislation. It has no place there. Forcing dirty sluts to love their foetus, whether they like it or not, is fucking wrong.

eta: Good call with The Handmaid's Tale. Along with The Gate to Women's Country should become required reading for all young women.
  • Options
    Crazy stuff.

No wonder people have such a low opinion of America.

tsk tsk tsk.
  • Options
    "BBC Americas analyst Simon Watts says the legislation is unlikely to take effect because of the legal challenges, which are the real point of the bill"

It really is astonishing how big an issue abortion is to some people.
  • Options
    Make no mistake, the fucking evil anti-abortion/fundie lobby will stop at nothing until it manages to get abortion made illegal across the US.

And they don't have an unreasonable chance of achieveing it.

More despicable and odious people there isn't.
  • Options
    I find it ironic that these "Pro-lifers" have on occasion resorted to bombing Abortion centres and killing Doctors.

Let the women have a right to choose for themselves. Offer counciling and allow them to be informed of alternatives, but dont take away their rights, in the name of protecting their rights.
  • Options
    I have a question. If abortion were banned, in all but cases of concern for the health of the baby, similarly the health of the mother and in the case of Rape/Sexual abuse, would you consider that an acceptable state of affairs?
  • Options
    Its the "Culture of Life!"

Or its just another attempt at legislating Christianity in, like Intelligent Design. Given the culture of life hasnt been a high Republican priority when it comes to smudgy foreigners, I would say this is probably the case.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Why not? Surely that covers all eventualities?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Why not? Surely that covers all eventualities?

Not the eventuality of becoming pregnant when it's undesired.

Abortion is morally dodgy, but there isn't much choice.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I have a question. If abortion were banned, in all but cases of concern for the health of the baby, similarly the health of the mother and in the case of Rape/Sexual abuse, would you consider that an acceptable state of affairs?

Is that not the position of some of the Protestant Churches?

It's still illegal down south in Ireland here. One of the few remaining Church influence in State affairs there.
  • Options
    Abortion already is restricted in many states, for instance only 93% of counties in Texas have abortion providers. And state legislatures in some American states have restricted access to abortion – Alabama for example requires a woman to receive counselling (that is skewed to discourage her from having an abortion) 24 hours before the procedure is provided. In the south and Midwest I don’t think this is particularly unique.

Info from:
    http://www.prochoicetexas.org/s09issues/200412231.shtml)
    http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/sfaa/alabama.html

But so what? Who cares? At state level the majority of states have Republican majority state legislatures. At national level Americans elected a Republican president, a Republican majority House and a Republican majority Senate. If Americans disapprove they’ll stop voting Republican. Admittedly, America is deeply divided between the Republicans and Democrats but since most Americans oppose banning abortion – around 60-65% I believe a ban is unlikely. And even with the Supreme Court leaning in favour of the Republicans Roe v Wade will probably be upheld. (Lets remember too that many Republicans would also oppose banning abortion).
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Fucking Twats!

Can't someone now get these fuckers out? What the fuck? How, why?

This takes the piss.
  • Options
    But so what? Who cares? At state level the majority of states have Republican majority state legislatures. At national level Americans elected a Republican president, a Republican majority House and a Republican majority Senate. If Americans disapprove they’ll stop voting Republican.
    Yeah but it's about one group of people (most of whom will never have to deal with this issue) imposing their viewpoints on everyone else. So what if the majority are pro-life? (I don't know if this is true, by the way, just an example). They still have no right to impose their moral and religious beliefs on everyone else.
  • Options
    Yeah but it's about one group of people (most of whom will never have to deal with this issue) imposing their viewpoints on everyone else....They still have no right to impose their moral and religious beliefs on everyone else.

A narrow majority of Americans overall are pro-choice. Although I imagine it varies massively between states – e.g. while most Californians are probably pro-choice I’d guess most folks in Alabama are pro-life.

Legislators have no right to impose moral and religious beliefs on everybody else? Funny – but I bet you supported the ban on fox hunting, clearly an example of moral beliefs being imposed on a section of the population. Or the smoking ban? Some of us think it’s completely immoral to include private members’ clubs and not consider separate areas. What about inciting racial hatred? Most MPs think it’s immoral – hence the law that prohibits it exists. But some neo-Nazis down the road don’t have a problem with it. Yet by banning it certain beliefs are imposed on them – do you oppose the law banning incitement to racial hatred? I didn’t think so – neither do I. Yet aren’t we imposing our values on the minority that disagree therefore?
  • Options
    because i believe women should have a right to choose whether they want to have a baby or not. it depends on how loosely you're interpreting health of baby and health of mother i suppose; if it's loose enough that it allows abortion on the grounds of mental harm to the mother then maybe, but if it means that abortion should only be allowed if the physical health of the mother or foetus is at risk, then no i wouldn't be happy with that and would vehemently oppose such a policy.
    Well, surely if you don't want kids, you'll have used contraception (or not had sex), and used it properly, and while I understand it fails, are you really advocating abortion as a contraceptive tool?
  • Options
    Better that than having an unwanted child.
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I'm shocked by that comment, genuinely shocked.

ETA: Just to elaborate. I'm shocked that a potential life is worth so little to you, that you'd advocate abortion as birth control.
  • Options
    Despite the claims of some pro-life groups I don’t think many women make the decision to have an abortion lightly, it’s a difficult and painful decision no doubt they have to live with for the rest of their lives. Therefore I don’t think anybody intentionally uses it as a form of birth control.

However except in the early stages perhaps we shouldn’t be talking about potential life – as these pictures from the BBC show a baby at 22 weeks ‘capable of fine hand and finger movements’ and scratching, rubbing and patting his cheek is a life.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

ETA: Just to elaborate. I'm shocked that a potential life is worth so little to you, that you'd advocate abortion as birth control.

So, if the condom or pill fails... why shouldn't they?

I mean, think of the terrible life an unwanted child may have. The abuse, the lack of parental care...
  • Options
    Look, if you really don't want a child, you will be on the pill, and using condoms, and while it may happen, it's got to be really really big odds against the pill, a condom and the MAP failling, and even then, you can put that child up for adoption.

Even better, if you're so incapable of having a child, then perhaps you should be thinking about whether you're mature enough to be having sex...
  • Options
    You said yourself it's a 'potential life' Fiend. In my humble opinion, legal abortions just remove a few unwanted cells- a bit like cutting out an ugly mole no? OK, it's a bit more serious than that, but even at the later stages where abortions are carried out, 24 weeks?, there is no life being terminated that I would recognise as human. I think it's natural to reject an unwanted child, we see this in other animals, and it is more apropriate to terminate unwanted pregnancies than to force a situation of rejected/unwanted children.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Even better, if you're so incapable of having a child, then perhaps you should be thinking about whether you're mature enough to be having sex...

Are you a virgin then I take it? Most sex is for pleasure not procreation.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    You said yourself it's a 'potential life' Fiend. In my humble opinion, legal abortions just remove a few unwanted cells- a bit like cutting out an ugly mole no?
    At ten weeks gestation, this foetus can move her arms and legs with a range of movements that are fluid and supple.
    _40323369_wk12_1.jpg

katralla wrote:
    OK, it's a bit more serious than that, but even at the later stages where abortions are carried out, 24 weeks?, there is no life being terminated that I would recognise as human.
    At 22 weeks gestation babies are capable of fine hand and finger movements. In a short space of time this baby scratches, rubs and pats his cheek before doing the same to his nose.

_40323351_wk24_1.jpg

BBC link.

While I personally oppose abortion I’m not in favour of banning it – although I think there is a strong case for reducing the limit. However – people that say ‘there is nothing human’ being terminated even at the later stages – 24 weeks worry me. I can only assume that you're ignorant. Tbh imo there really isn't much of a moral difference between late abortions and infanticide.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Are you a virgin then I take it? Most sex is for pleasure not procreation.
    Yes I am, but I'm a little offended that you think I don't realise that sex is also a lot of fun, not just about reproduction. Esentially, it's fun with consequences though, if you can't handle the consequences, have fun another way.
  • Options
    I find the late abortion comments very distracting from the issue at hand, this isn't a pro-life/pro-choice or "when is a baby a baby?" debate. However I believe that less than 2% of abortions are carried out after 20 weeks, and I'd like to point out that the women who do have to make the decision to abort late on in pregnancy do not do so on a some whim. I believe that more often than not they're facing distressing (and often exceptional) circumstances. Failure to diagnose pregnancy, having been delayed in the process by an obstructive GP/abusive partner/feeling of utter shame and fear.

I'm of the opinion that women MUST have the right to choose, and that the law must give that choice their full support.

Abortion is never a substitute for birth control, if a woman wasn't using contraception and then having one abortion after another then I'd agree that it was a disturbing issue. That is highly highly unlikely to actually be the case.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Why should I be concerned by potential life?

Potential life is hypothetical. It doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Potential life is hypothetical. It doesn't exist.
    Quite. The life we SHOULD be worried about are ones being wasted, homeless folk, folk in shit circumstances we can help...

But nah, we dont.