Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

South Dakota Passes Anti Abortion Bill

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you going to reference a verse? Because at the moment, you're talking rubbish.
  • Options
    I am not talking rubbish simply because I don't tow your ridiculous literalist line.

I told you what the verse meant which you quoted and I told you evey reason why you can't use the bible as some justification to bolish abortion. The quote is in there, if your so bothered, you look it up. I don't give a toss.

I don't have conflict regarding the issue. I am pro abortion, you are clearly not. Thats your deal not mine.

Your obessing over this one quote because you have no argument and al lyou can do is ask me for this one quote an dinsult me and go on about I'd be lynched if it was a secular comment or some such crap.

get over it.

Abortion = no problem, morally or legally.

If you wann argue otherwise based on thebile then do so but I'm sure alot of women and men will disagree with you.
  • Options
    Look, I'd argue if I felt like it mattered what I say here. But you are claiming something about the bible which is untrue. You clearly have zero knowledge.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Walkindude wrote:
    also note that my other points on the bible were ignored.

The thing is walkindude, it's already been established that they were ignored because you haven't sourced them. Which while as you have already said, you don't have to, it does make a difference as to whether or not they will be taken seriously in a debate.

Fiend you've made your point and for the two of you to start bickering about 'who lacks reality/knowledge' isn't adding anything to this debate.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Rubbish. As with everything, its about the social context. The issue of abortion does not exist in a vacuum, it exists in a social and politcal context. Toadborg's assertion that "If the woman wants to have a boy then aborting girls is right if it what is 'right for her'" fails to take into account the social pressures that might lead a woman to thinking it is "right for her". Without taking any of that into account, its a meaningless argument (cue cries from klintock et al that "there is no such thing as society" :rolleyes: )

But there will always be some "social pressures" that lead people to want to have abortions for reasons that even generally pro-abortion people i.e. most people will find distasteful.

The topic is about banning abortion but the choice is not between a ban and letting women have abortions for whatever reason they want.

There are a range of options in between that can be considered to do with reasons for abortion and to with timing of abortions also.
  • Options
    Yes, there will always be social pressures. But what, practically does that mean? That we ban abortion or grill women on why they want an abortion? Or do we work to challenge those social pressures? Whether that be lack of childcare, maternity leave and maternity pay or a dominant patriarchy that values male children over female?

BTW can we stop using the term "pro-abortion"? What you mean is "pro-choice".
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But there will always be some "social pressures" that lead people to want to have abortions for reasons that even generally pro-abortion people i.e. most people will find distasteful.

Yep.

And?

Oh, I'd like to state on the record that I'm pro-abortion. Starting with those who voted Bush or New Labour in the last relevant election.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

The topic is about banning abortion but the choice is not between a ban and letting women have abortions for whatever reason they want.

There are a range of options in between that can be considered to do with reasons for abortion and to with timing of abortions also.

If only a set list of reasons were laid down then women would just lie, when surely honesty is what you need when the woman is with a doctor.

And yes, an abortion purely because the baby is a girl is distasteful, leaving aside the issue of how would they know its a girl, its still less distasteful than that woman doing in down a backstreet.
  • Options
    God I am sick of this.

I didn't source ONE GOD DAMN QUOTE. Just the one, because I cannot be arsed to find one fecking quote out of a book full of them, for the sake of one literalist zealot.

My point on fact sabout the bible being ignored dont need a bible source beacuse u dont need the bible for that.

It is FACT, the bible was written by man.
    It is FACT, the bible was not directly written by God.
    It is FACT, the writers had their own agendas.
    It is FACT, you have to take into account, context when reading it.

It is well established that you need interpretation when readng the bible and not to take a literalist view point.

I took his quote and gave my and others interpretation of it. I am allowed to do that.

I already said about not being bothered to find the quote so dismiss it or whatever, it doesn't change he still ignores all the other points made, like every lietralist bible basher does.

Yes Fiend I have no knowledge at all, just 3 or 4 years of studying the subject under experts in the field including an ex catholic priest.

Your ignorance is shocking but expected.
  • Options
    Where does the bible say abortion is wrong? or drugs are wrong? it does not even say all crime is wrong, it sticks to commandment crimes. I mean if you want to a piece of text to believe in peopel should stay away form holy books because they are such a load of crap. Full of huge holes and gaps and contradictions. No one can live litterally by any holy text because they all say shit and are soooooo subjective to interpretation they are just ridiculous!

But then...that is my interpretation of them!
  • Options
  • Options
    To be fair...no one here ever sources anything, if they do they just get called a spammer and ususally they are.
  • Options
    Can't you just go to North Dakota to get an abortion? :p

Isn't that what they do? Just go to another state to go around the law?
  • Options
  • Options
    Clandestine sources, i have on occasion taken the time to source, i know Aladdin backs up his claims too a lot. Who else does? most people just quote other people and say they are wrong and then leave it at that, they dont source anything.
  • Options
    No one has ever sourced evidence for a country for me either. :p:lol:
  • Options
    Excuse me girl with sharp teeth but I was NOT the one throwing insults around until it was started on me.

I was debating in an adult manner and then I get attacked fo rit and then mods and other sback ther person starting on me and thats what pisses me off.

The only thing, THE ONLY THING you could dismiss is my comment that life starts after borth, because, techincally I havent sourced the quote abut thats it. Thats all you can do.

Fiend focuses on that one point alone and IGNORES everything else I have said because he knows I am right and those comments don't need to be sourced.

You can't dismiss everything thats being said becasue ONE thing hasn't been sourced.

Fiend cliams to have read the bile and knows it and quotes it. So lets see all the quotes that say life begins in the womb, before borth, at conceptin etc etc?? He can't becasue there isn't any.

He had one quote and i gave my interpretation on it , which is by the way shared by many of the clergy in many branches of the Christain faith.

There is also no rule that syas you must withdraw a cliam if you dont have a listed source.

Theres libel cliams far enough, you can't say someone murdered someone if it isn't proven, but you can't use that in this debate.

I bet on a thread some is gonna say Blair said God told hm to invade Iraq, when he never saifd anythng of the kind.

I bet that wont be withdrawn.
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't care if its a he or a she. Not like they defined themselves as either.

I am not whining at all.

Why do you need to come on here and have a go at me when its nothing to do with you??

If you don't want me to complain then why have a go at me , making me complain??

Its the double standard son these borads that piss me off so much.

I actually am debating properly and not using a a ridiculous litetralist argument from a book that they don't have a clue about.

You can be embrassed if you want. It would only be idiotic though.

I'd be more embrassed that someone believed abortion was wrong due to one quote from the bible.
  • Options
    So, are Jewish fairy stories still directing US medical policy or what then? I've been out of the loop.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I don't care if its a he or a she. Not like they defined themselves as either.

I am not whining at all.

Why do you need to come on here and have a go at me when its nothing to do with you??

If you don't want me to complain then why have a go at me , making me complain??

Its the double standard son these borads that piss me off so much.

I actually am debating properly and not using a a ridiculous litetralist argument from a book that they don't have a clue about.

You can be embrassed if you want. It would only be idiotic though.

I'd be more embrassed that someone believed abortion was wrong due to one quote from the bible.
    #

if you are debating properly and think you are oh so better than the rest of them/us, why dont you just shut the hell up and start discussing instead of filling a page with repeated posts of oh im such a victim

and by the way i havnt even looked at any other pages of posts apart from thsi one
  • Options
    He is just saying what he believes, why is everyone else such a whiner about him saying his views?
  • Options
    Oh fuck off MrG.

And pray tell what was the point of your post?

I only answer the critics.
    I didn't start the complaining and I am only addressing the falsehoods in said posts compaling about me.
  • Options
    well differences aside, i just got a mail from cnn telling me the governor for the state had signed the bill into law
  • Options
    Really? How frightening. Link me up!

Though since it's obviously going to be immediately and strongly challenged, surely the ban won't be in effect until there's a ruling in their favour by the supreme court. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Wow.

So, if you are pregnant you will give birth. If you're pregnant your uterus is under the control of the state. I'm sure if they could wrangle it, these cretins would live in a utopia where wombs grew on trees and they didn't have to bother with these troublesome, tiresome murderesses.

So babies for everyone - regardless of age, the fact that you may've been raped, impregnated by an abusive family member...even George W's stance on abortion isn't "one size fits all" to that degree. However, if you're dying then they may let you abort, at their own discretion. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    In America, can you not technically just go to another state where it's legal though?
  • Options
    I'm sure you can.

But why should any woman have to journey (which the state would probably view as being taken in shame and disgrace) to another state in order to do something which should be well within her rights?

I was thinking how interesting it'd be to actually hear the views of some of the women who live in South Dakota, the nearest I could find was this article. Interesting.