Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

South Dakota Passes Anti Abortion Bill

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The bond between a mother and her unborn child can be very strong. It's not one that a man can understand fully, I believe.

It's also completely irrelevant to this discussion. As Blagsta says it can also not exist, what he didn't say is that the bond with the father can be strong too... so does that mean that father should have a say? Tough one.

As for the laws, as they stand at the moment they are an acceptable compromise and I wouldn't really like to see them changed either way. Too relaxed and we ru the risk of public opinion becoming hardened in a few years to the point where a total ban was popular.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Theres an element of rationalisation in there too. If abortions get rid of some "collection of cells" or a "foetus" or whatnot it's a different thing from killing my son/daughter. It's a common thing in people to seperate themselves from acts they don't like but feel are needed in this way.

Good point. If I were pregnant and planned on keeping the child, I would rub my bulge and call it my baby; if I were planning on aborting, I'd not refer to it at all probably, or restrict to 'cold' or medical terms.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Where you draw that line though is only a matter of personal opinion. I am never in favour of using force to impose one woman's opinion on another.

Theres an element of rationalisation in there too. If abortions get rid of some "collection of cells" or a "foetus" or whatnot it's a different thing from killing my son/daughter. It's a common thing in people to seperate themselves from acts they don't like but feel are needed in this way.

That's what I meant before, in reference to stargalaxy's post about when a foetus becomes a baby. If you were planning to abort then you'd naturally be less inclined to call it a baby (whether or not scientifically it is one) and if you were planning a happy motherhood then you'd be inclined to call it your baby or similar (whether or not it scientifically is one). Of course rationalisation is involved, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, unless you're comparing it to a the rationalisations of the cold-blooded killer rationalising why his prey deserves to die. Or similar.

I agree on your first point, I'd never "force" (though it'd be good to have a definition of "force" just so's I know) a woman to have an abortion...I'd like people to stop trying (hypothetically) to stop me having an abortion if I so choose. That'll never happen, and so it goes.
  • Options
    I think we should have the choice, but not past 16 weeks, and certainly not when the foetus can survive.
  • Options
    Why 16 weeks? The procedure doesn't change at all between 14 and 19 weeks. If you think people should have the right to make choices for themselves, isn't it better to let them make that decision rather than choose a gestation suited to your own moral values because it's something you don't like?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'm not going to quote something saying otherwise, even though I can, but I want you to quote the book chapter and verse where it says that. If you were quoting a news source, everyone else would expect nothing less. I've never read anything to suggest what you've claimed the bible says, so I would like you to show me where.

Sorry to drop in so randomly, but just need to clarify the above.

This is a fair point, and ideally its only fair to quote the Bible Chapter and verse if ever used to make a point. I understand that, in this case, Walkindude has admitted that he should probably say exactly where it has come from and he has not pushed the point probably because of this factor - which is good. He has not absolutely insisted that you believe it or that it's true, and overall I'm pretty sure it's not what he has based his argument/standpoint on. For that reason I don't want to have a go at anyone. I just want to emphasise the fact that any theory from scripture should be backed up as a matter of fairness.

Thanks ;)
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    SG's initial point that humans are humans no matter their stage of growth seems perfectly valid to me. Theres a lot of renaming going on, a sure sign of bullshit.
    Those in favour of abortion, all too often, are keen to dehumanise what they do, almost as if they're ashamed of it. How would you define abortion? I would say, to put it mildly, "to end the life of an unborn baby". No, I don't think it's a foetus, it's a baby, a human being.

Have any of you actually seen the pictures in the press over the last few months of a baby's development in the womb? Or if pictures aren't your thing, read about this report. Now somebody look me in the eye, and tell me that this isn't a baby you're talking about.
  • Options
    ummm excuse me fiend 85. Why don't you put the reference where it says that I HAVE to put um a link or quote to make a post when making a point???

oh that right it doesn't. I don't HAVE to do anything.

And people don't HAVE to keep their babies either.
  • Options
    The majority of abortions ar edone when the "baby" is no more then a few cells or a partially formed, brainless mass.

Not a living, breathing, feeling baby.

Such pcitures and emotive arguments serve no purpose in this debate.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Such pcitures and emotive arguments serve no purpose in this debate.

Quite.

It's not "dehumanising" it if you don't consider it a human, for pity's sake.

Once again, though, this isn't a debate about whether it's a "human being" or a "foetus"...can anyone actually stick to the issue at hand. I think someone should start a (n utterly pointless, imo) Pro-Choice/Pro-Life thread if you want to continue discussing at what point a baby is a baby, because this is a women's rights issue, essentially.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Once again, though, this isn't a debate about whether it's a "human being" or a "foetus"...can anyone actually stick to the issue at hand. I think someone should start a (n utterly pointless, imo) Pro-Choice/Pro-Life thread if you want to continue discussing at what point a baby is a baby, because this is a women's rights issue, essentially.
    So the baby gets no consideration? I knew you were pursuing an extreme feminist agenda here, and there's the admission for all to see.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    So the baby gets no consideration? I knew you were pursuing an extreme feminist agenda here, and there's the admission for all to see.

Did you actually read the article GWST linked to? The issue of abortion being BANNED in South Dakota is a women's rights issue, to me it is an extremely worrying sign of the political climate and attitude to women's rights there and should be even to those of us who don't have the "extreme feminist agenda" that you assert I have.

When I said it's an issue of women's rights, I was referring to the very option of abortion being taken away, not to actual abortions.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    The issue of abortion being BANNED in South Dakota is a women's rights issue, it is an extremely worrying sign of the political climate there and should be even to those of us who don't have the "extreme feminist agenda" that you assert I have.
    The political climate of the USA has changed notably in recent years. That would be a matter for women in the USA, not here.
  • Options
    That is a spectacular thing to say. Should I only care about the rights of women I can touch with a bargepole. I'm concerned about the rights of women in any country, of any nationality.

I have to go to a lecture now; this was enlightening.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The baby gets no consideration simply because there is no baby you consider.

You say you believe otherwise. But you see, you are in the minority. Practically no-one at all considers a growing lump of cells 'a baby'. Therefore all arguments about 'what about the rights of the baby' or 'millions of babies killed every year' can be immediately dismissed.

The only person concerned, the only person to consider is the woman who is pregnant. And as such it is her decision, not anybody else's, what is to be done about her pregnancy.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    That is a spectacular thing to say. Should I only care about the rights of women I can touch with a bargepole. I'm concerned about the rights of women in any country, of any nationality.
    If we're talking about women's rights/human rights, let's widen this out slightly. Take possibly the most famous or infamous human rights barrister in this country, Cherie Booth QC. Yes, Tony's wife... wife of the man who's trying to destroy our civil liberties at the moment, the same ones his wife defends with a vigour... the discussions they have as a couple must be interesting!

Anyway, Mrs Booth often likes to go to countries like Saudi Arabia to lecture other countries about human rights. Not taking into account the very different political and social climates of both countries. Britain nowadays is a PC basketcase, with the Human Rights Act disgracefully inshrined (sp?) into British law, the Health and Safety Executive having a field day... Saudi Arabia is much different. Now, there's nothing wrong with telling Saudi Arabia it's wrong to cut off people's hands for thieving, or to order women to cover up and the like. But the two countries are very different currently. This is partly why, in the Middle East, there's so much resentment at the perception the Western World is trying to interfere in their business.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how that is in anyway related to the thread SG.

And I think you are a bit confused as to things, first you're saying that the government is getting rid of civil liberties, then bemoaning the EU Human Rights Act.

And, I should point out that the HSE only enforces the law, it has next to no part in making it, if anyone is to blame is Blair, not them. And of course the compensation culture much talked of in the tabloids doesnt exist.
  • Options
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    And, I should point out that the HSE only enforces the law, it has next to no part in making it, if anyone is to blame is Blair, not them. And of course the compensation culture much talked of in the tabloids doesnt exist.
    Doesn't exist? What are you smoking now?
    What's your point? Why on earth can we not debate the erosion of women's rights in other countries?
    You sound more and more like your husband every day.. :p

Of course we can discuss it, this is a democracy, discussion about that can't be stopped or censored.
  • Options
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Doesn't exist? What are you smoking now?

Its not really the place to debate it, but I will say that I work in the industry and I know a lot more about the law and the way its enforced than anyone who reads a 'compensation gone mad' story in the paper.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    ummm excuse me fiend 85. Why don't you put the reference where it says that I HAVE to put um a link or quote to make a post when making a point???

You can say whatever you like, when it's your opinion. But in this forum, and you can helen's post above, when you say "it says it there" you need to prove it. Secular, or religious, it should be exactly the same.

ETA: so they're babies now? not clusters of cells, not foetuses (is that really the plural?) but babies?
  • Options
    What????

I am not changing tack at all. jUts syaing women have the right to an abortion. They dont hva to keep theri babies, cells, foetouses or whatever.

No I dont have to put a link up at all. I dont HAVE to do anything. Its not a rule its not a law and you can say I HAVE to do anything.

I choose to or not.

Why dont u read it again, I am sure its in there.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Walkindude wrote:

No you're right you don't HAVE to reference the Bible when quoting from it, it just makes sense for a debate when there are people who follow the Bible closely and are interested to see where your point of view is coming from.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Those in favour of abortion

Who is "in favour of abortion"? :confused: What I (and I suspect most other people) are in favour of is choice.
  • Options
    By the notion of choice is complete invalid if you consider the 'lump of cells' to be a human being, be it from the moment of conception, or after 22 weeks or whatever.

Now I would say that a foetus doesn't count as a human being in the early stages.

But that is only an intuition (and one that may be born for my own convenience perhaps) as far as I know there is no way you can 'prove' that a foetus of such and such an age is a human where as a younger one isn't.

Basically that decision is entirely subjective, which is why this debate can't be resolved......
  • Options
    just because women can get pregnant, doesn't mean they're obligated to carry any pregnancy they have. its their body...they don't exactly enjoy getting abortions do they?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I choose to or not.

Why dont u read it again, I am sure its in there.

What I find interesting, is that you'd be lynched if you acted this way over a secular claim.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    By the notion of choice is complete invalid if you consider the 'lump of cells' to be a human being, be it from the moment of conception, or after 22 weeks or whatever.

Now I would say that a foetus doesn't count as a human being in the early stages.

But that is only an intuition (and one that may be born for my own convenience perhaps) as far as I know there is no way you can 'prove' that a foetus of such and such an age is a human where as a younger one isn't.

Basically that decision is entirely subjective, which is why this debate can't be resolved......

If the "baby" can't survive independently of the mother then its part of the mother and her choice. End of as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    What I find interesting, is that you'd be lynched if you acted this way over a secular claim.

Walkindude does this sort of thing all the time. Claims some bullshit as fact, gets challenged on it, then chucks his toys out of his pram, usually claiming he's "studied it". Its hilarious. :D