Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my_name wrote:
    Decreasing my AD's to start another one, been a couple days over 2 weeks. Havn't been this tired ever. Sleep 17 hours few days a week. Will this continue forever? Will I get used to it?
    You will probably find it improves when you get on a decent dose of something else.
  • Options
    I don't know what to do with myself, how to get from depressed to not-depressed, I just wish I could. I feel as though I've tried everything but nothing works. Self-harming just doesn't hurt anymore, even stuff that is meant to like putting razors up my cunt I can hardly feel a thing but I want to feel pain, I want to feel alive, I want to not be asleep, I want to be able to get on with my life but nothing I try helps I feel as if I am beyond all help.
  • Options
    *sigh* I just wish the people I care about the most knew how much they meant to me :(
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    your-babe wrote:
    Seriously thinking about going to the doctors to get some help. Has taken me too long to accept I may have a problem.

Accepting that you have a problem is the first major step in the road to recovery. Well done for that.

As for your relationship, only you can decide if it is worth it or not. Think about the overall picture and think about how he will be when you need help the most - when you are on the road to recovery.

You are doing fab, sweetie. Go make that appointment and take it from there.

<3
  • Options
    I've been to the doctors and was referred to a psychiatrist or whatever they're called. I'm on antipsychotics and antidepressants now. So far things are going slowly which is 'normal'. I have a problem telling what's normal and what isn't, and since taking the antipsychotic I'd say the hallucinations are less but irational thoughts have increased at times. I know it's all unreal though. I just hope everything gets better :( .
  • Options
    is it normal for a counsellor to just sit and look at you and wait for you to talk? what if you have nothing to say? what if they are linking it to stuff you'd long forgotten about so isn't a factor? what if you don't want to talk?
  • Options
    used to do it when i was younger, im 19 now it was maybe when i was fifteen. i get stressed out very easily and usualy i just hide it until i cant take it any more. i have punched holes in my plaster board walls i get so annoyed with myself and others

after seeing how worried my mother got when i did have cuts on my arms i stopped it, i have small scars on my fingers from slicing the top of them.

im feeling in the same mood as i did when i was 15, for the first time since, my friends are moving off and im staying in school, i feel lonely and some stuff aint working out as well as i would like.

i originally did it when iw as at school and was on the verge of getting kicked out, i never seeked any medical attention at all but to me i dont want to be at counsuling, i just want to be left alone.

on that note i do have a lot to look forward this year and thats what im concentrating on. for example im going on holidays with my life long friends for a week, we have never been out of the country together so that should be fun. i was meant to go to america as well with my cousin but i may have to do resits in the month of august wich may put that on hold for another year
  • Options
    Let your mum come with you for support but tell her to stay in the waiting room for you. This way you have the best of both worlds. She is there for the support but she doesn't need to know anything more than you tell her.

Secondly, write everything down. Think long and hard about what all you want to tell the doctor and write it down. Tell them that you are feeling really low, that you cut yourself, that you have even had suicidal thoughts and don't want to be here. They will take you seriously and if you write everything down then if you get side tracked then it is all there for you.
  • Options
    is it normal for a counsellor to just sit and look at you and wait for you to talk? what if you have nothing to say? what if they are linking it to stuff you'd long forgotten about so isn't a factor? what if you don't want to talk?

oh yes, very normal.

Mine does it, i hate it. We used top have horrible,awkward silences for about a year.
    I thought i had nothing to say and didnt want to talk, but at the end of the day you're not helping yourself. Theyre not telepathic.
    I made the decision to do something or stop wasting her time so i thought the only i could communicate was keeping a diary for her to read.
    Its working better.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    That's helped me a lot, thankyou. :) :thumb:

You are more than welcome :)

It is such a hard thing to do, to admit that you have a problem and need help. Let us know how you get on xx
  • Options

Yeah, its normal practice for them to do so I found.

If you lie quietly for too long they'll ask why, but they will wait for you. It's all about you.

Sometimes the stuff they are linking to isn't forgotten. As my therapist said, I obviously can remember things, because I'm behaving as I do, and I picked it up from somewhere.

If you don't want to talk then don't. But expect to be asked why you don't.

Normally its just about finding the right way into it. Sometimes I went with loads to say, sometimes things had to be coaxed from me. Don't fall into the trap of only feeling you need to talk about sad things. Talking about happy things, talking about nothing things, is all part of the therapy experience.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yeah, its normal practice for them to do so I found.

If you lie quietly for too long they'll ask why, but they will wait for you. It's all about you.

Sometimes the stuff they are linking to isn't forgotten. As my therapist said, I obviously can remember things, because I'm behaving as I do, and I picked it up from somewhere.

If you don't want to talk then don't. But expect to be asked why you don't.

Normally its just about finding the right way into it. Sometimes I went with loads to say, sometimes things had to be coaxed from me. Don't fall into the trap of only feeling you need to talk about sad things. Talking about happy things, talking about nothing things, is all part of the therapy experience.
    thanks Kermit :)
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I got immensly drunk last night... blurred away my whole night. It never changes.. And I doubt it will, I'll carry on drinking.. Maybe in time I can blur away my whole life.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I got immensly drunk last night... blurred away my whole night. It never changes.. And I doubt it will, I'll carry on drinking.. Maybe in time I can blur away my whole life.
    You've said before here that this drinking is not doing you any good. And you know that you're heading for alcoholism at this rate. Please, talk to someone who knows you better than I do, Pirate.

Oh yes, and don't get completely plastered tomorrow.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Oh yes, and don't get completely plastered tomorrow.

What use is that statement?
  • Options
    thanks Kermit :)

Does your counsellor have a couch?

My therapist had a couch, and it was so much better as I didn't have to look at her. I just laid back with my eyes closed and talked for an hour.

If she has one, you should try using it.
    turlough wrote:
    What use is that statement?

Well, exactly.

Pirate, do you have anyone you can talk to seriously about your drinking habits. You don't need anyone else to tell you you're damaging your mind and you're damaging your body, but people always need other people to help them.

Don't be ashamed to say you've got trouble. Tell someone what you've told us. Please, mate, its not that scary. I know it seems it, but its not. Not really.

You're sound enough, don't drink it away. Do something about it.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Kermit wrote:
    Well, exactly.

Pirate, do you have anyone you can talk to seriously about your drinking habits. You don't need anyone else to tell you you're damaging your mind and you're damaging your body, but people always need other people to help them.

Don't be ashamed to say you've got trouble. Tell someone what you've told us. Please, mate, its not that scary. I know it seems it, but its not. Not really.

You're sound enough, don't drink it away. Do something about it.
    Problem is, I don't think I do have anyone to talk to about it :(
    Stargalaxy wrote:
    Don't get plastered tomorrow
    the likely hood that I will is very high.
  • Options
    I should be at the meet in London now. Things didn't work out this time of course, so I'm home. I've just had another panic attack. I thought they were under control. I thought they'd been dealt with. No chance. They're back, and worse than ever. I'd been three months and now this. I've failed so miserably, I'm a failure, failure, failure.
  • Options
    No you're not...I get panic attacks from time to time...you should be proud you've gone so long without one.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    No you're not...I get panic attacks from time to time...you should be proud you've gone so long without one.

SG, its just a set-back, everyone has them from time to time. I felt really bad when I slipped up with the s/h, but I have managed to get back on track again. Just try on focus on the positive and if they get worse go back and see your doctor.
  • Options
    shit motherfucker fuck shit. *screams*
  • Options
    shit motherfucker fuck shit. *screams*
    What's up?
  • Options
    SG, there's no such thing as a failure, my dear. And your absence was noted in London, sorry you didn't make it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Does your counsellor have a couch?

My therapist had a couch, and it was so much better as I didn't have to look at her. I just laid back with my eyes closed and talked for an hour.

If she has one, you should try using it.
    I've been seeing a psychotherapist who tried to persuade me to lie on the couch but I wouldn't and she hasn't asked for ages but I always notice that it's set out flat whenever I go in now, and beforehand it always just looked like a 20seater sofa (does that make sense? I think I'm still a bit drunk from the meet).

Pirate, you're a dude. People here care about you and think you rock, you don't need to get drunk to try and wipe yourself away, but Kermit's right it would do you some good to talk to someone about what you're doing.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    SG, there's no such thing as a failure, my dear. And your absence was noted in London, sorry you didn't make it.
    Oh. Well, that was unexpected. Thanks, Kate. x
  • Options
    Hiya Your_babe i know what your going through, i am a self harmer and i have been sent to counselling when will people realise talking about your feelings doesn't help, it makes you go mad, dont worry about your parents they'll calm down, hope ya feelin better soon. emma xx
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Being refered to a councillor, after going to the dr's this eve. Don't know how I feel anymore. Parents now know about my SH too. They didn't take it well at all.

Parents dont tend to take it to well, I've never told them that I SH but I think they might have guessed, the only person who does know, isn't happy that I do it, and was really upset when I slipped up a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    Emma_C wrote:
    when will people realise talking about your feelings doesn't help, it makes you go mad
    A lot of people would disagree with you on this one. It doesn't help everyone but there are plenty of people who will testify very positively to counselling and other 'talking' therapies.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I know that feeling, I get all guilty afterwards, cos I feel like I've let him down, but something made me realise, my life shouldn't revolve around him, and he certainly shouldn't threaten me when I do slip up.

Oh I had that last time, I.e I'll tell your parents and I'll send you off to a shrink. He does that I'll never speak to him again.
  • Options
    I'm a bit scared reading all your "telling the parents" posts...

I have been self-harming for just under seven years and have never told my parents.

Things have been getting worse and worse and I have tried six different ADs without any luck and counselling and pyschotherapy. I have been seeing a consultant pychiatrist at the hospital in outpatients and she has asked for a review meeting and she has asked me to bring a parent (i.e. my next of kin). So I have told my father (last week) that I have felt depressed, have disturbed sleeping and have tried some medications without success but I did not mention the self-harm (tbh he didn't have a clue about any of it before I told him last week). The meeting is next week so he's going to find out that too I guess. When my mother finds out she will be really upset (but she's abroad at the moment but she'll find out sooner or later).

Not much point to this post, just a rant really...