Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Subway and big brand shops

Taste is indeed subjective, but just like I think people who wear leopard-print have no taste, I don't think that people who think Subway is the bestest thing ever have taste. I can understand why people like most things, even if I don't, but I genuinely don't get how someone can crave after a Subway sandwich. They literally taste of nothing. They're not even the best sandwich from a fast food chain (McDonalds' deli wraps are much nicer), let alone the best sandwich in town. Unlike McDonald's, Subway customers don't even have the excuse that they are a cheap place to eat, because £4 for a sandwich and a bag of crisps is extortionate.

What I really don't get about Subway is how people will pay £4 for a sandwich and a bag of crisps, when the little shop next door will give you that for £3 and it will taste much nicer too. You'd be hard pressed to get a decent burger cheaper than McDonald's, so I can understand why people shop there, but the only reason I can think of that people adore Subway is because the adverts tell them to. Basing all your consumer decisions on the adverts does show a tendency to be a bit plastic.

What's my opinion on Greggs? I'm not sure. Greggs still count as a local company around here, seeing as they're from Gosforth, but the fact that there are about 477 different shops just in the toon is ridiculous. They've even got one in my local co-op now. I don't like how they have bought up all the local bakeries (Thurston's in Yorkshire, Birkett's in Cumbria) and rebranded them in the same plastic crappy cladding. They do an alright pasty, and they do an alright sandwich, and they are cheap, which is more than can be said for Subway. The Chicken Bake is nice. Again, though, I get better stuff from the smaller places- Bell's of Lazonby do the nicest pies ever, and the Cornish pasties from a little stall in Durham market are to die for- and I try to use those companies when I can. Greggs are better than that pasty shop chain you get on train stations though- why anyone would pay £2.80 for a cornish pasty really is beyond me.

I get why people go for the brand in towns they don't know- I do quite often- but in their own town? Surely these people have more gumption than to keep going to the same crappy chain places. I don't think that these people are bad people, but they are the reason why every high street in the country is identical.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
«1345

Comments

  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    They taste of nothing

    You may not think so, but many people do.
    As you admit taste is subjective, and that's why insulting people because they have different tastes than you really isn't on.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    I get why people go for the brand in towns they don't know- I do quite often- but in their own town? Surely these people have more gumption than to keep going to the same crappy chain places.

    Because thy like it. Why do you have a hard time accepting the fact that people don't necessarily like what you like?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1. Go and tell that to the fashion forum.

    2. It's got nothing to do with people not liking things that I don't, as I've explained. I'm not going to repeat myself again.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    1. Go and tell that to the fashion forum.

    Why?
    I'm telling it to you.
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with people not liking things that I don't, as I've explained. I'm not going to repeat myself again.

    It has everything to do with you not liking the same things. You don't like it, others do. Different tastes and nothing more.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    excuse that they are a cheap place to eat, because £4 for a sandwich and a bag of crisps is extortionate.

    What I really don't get about Subway is how people will pay £4 for a sandwich and a bag of crisps,.

    Personly Iv'e never spent that much on a sandwich and crisps and I don't intend to.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    Bell's of Lazonby

    God the smells alone are enough for me. Bloody gorgeous.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    Because thy like it. Why do you have a hard time accepting the fact that people don't necessarily like what you like?

    I suppose it could be a brain disorder.


    I also think He has the phase "You could get it from a local shop for" copied and ready to be pasted into every post.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Now look at what you've caused, Jarvey :p:lol:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my_name wrote: »
    Now look at what you've caused, Jarvey :p:lol:

    It was an accident.... Honest!!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Some of the reponses in this thread are nothing short of fucking disgraceful.

    What one person likes does not mean another person is going to like it, and just because you may not like it does not mean you can use bully boy tactics and use the same argument in every statement to try to state your point, once is enough end of story.

    Taste is very subjective therefore though you may have an opinion of the subject, here Subway, you have no right to keep blabbering on that it is " tasteless " or shite ".

    The fact is Subways do taste good or else they would not be in business. I am a fan of subways but have 1 per week, occasionally 2. People i work with have them. Lots of friends and family have them. You cannot say that these people all have " dysfunctional " taste buds as no one is in any kind of position to make such a statement.

    Some people like them some people hate them. That's the end of the matter.

    Why this thread is still being debated as a " I say its shite so i am right " manner i don't know.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It makes me laugh the way that they put a fake brick interior in every shop. Is it supposed to make it look rough and ready, or olde worldy or something? Just looks a bit silly!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    (McDonalds' deli wraps are much nicer)

    Fucking right they are :yum:.

    Must say, I do enjoy a meatball marinara once in a while, but I'd rather go further out of my way and get a decent sandwich than one from Subway. They aren't bad, but they are a bit soggy and it worries me that I can eat a 12" and not be full afterwards. I think a lot of the reason people from college go to Subway is because they (conveniently) put it right at the top of the hill, closer than McDonalds, closer (just) than Burger King and KFC, closer than Boots, and closer than the decent sandwich shop which is just up the road (which I have shamefully never been to because I don't know how much it costs :o).

    I'd still rather go get a BLT Deli from Maccy's though...largely because I get it cheap :D.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Franki you are sooooooo biased towards Maccies :razz:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Franki you are sooooooo biased towards Maccies :razz:
    Only because I get it cheap :o.

    To be fair though, our food doesn't taste nearly as bad as some places, and even though the prices at our restaurant are getting a bit OTT (£1.25 for 4 nuggets :|), it's still not exactly bad value for money when you get a double cheeseburger for £1.29. I usually warn people off the stuff I don't like, as well. Some guy once had a BLT deli with no tomato on brown bread (which is what I have) because I told him it was yummy :D.

    Helps that I get a meal for £3.50 when everyone else gets it for about £5 though :o.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My main gripe with McDonald's is that they don't do anything vegetarian (burger wise) on their cheapo poundsaver menu thing, so I can't be stingy and eat for cheap :grump:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My main gripe with McDonald's is that they don't do anything vegetarian (burger wise) on their cheapo poundsaver menu thing, so I can't be stingy and eat for cheap :grump:
    This is true....I never really thought about that before....hmm.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought you got meals for £2 Franki?

    Do they still do those yummy pepporoni sandwiches? I loved those!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought you got meals for £2 Franki?

    Do they still do those yummy pepporoni sandwiches? I loved those!
    EVMs I do, but Deli meals are more.

    I was not aware we did Pepperoni sandwiches...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know if you do anymore. They did just over a year ago though in their Deli range. They were yummy. Pepporoni, ham and cheese :yum:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nah, we don't do that anymore. We have BLT though, which is yumyumyumyumyum :yum:.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not too keen on the bacon at Maccies although on closes, we made our own things after we closed up. I loved the sausage patties there so used to make sausage muffins with bacon, cheese and ketchup on! Yum.

    (and yes, I do realise that you aren't supposed to make your own food, especially after you've shut, when everything should be switched off and cleaned)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think they use different bacon for the delis than they do for everything else. Sure as hell tastes nicer.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    (and yes, I do realise that you aren't supposed to make your own food, especially after you've shut, when everything should be switched off and cleaned)

    We used to have a smoke, get the munchies and create some amazing things.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :yes:

    We used to dip fries in Big Mac sauce!

    It was fun. I ate farrrrr too many nuggets and fries on shift though! I never got told off for it :o

    I must be so much healthier now I don't work there.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can't believe this thread has been brought back to life!!

    Kermit - you keep saying why don't people go to the cheaper, better sandwich shop 'next door. Because in many places there is no local sandwich shop next door, how many times do I have to say that. And they're not always that great. The fact of the matter is that people like subway, enough people buy there for them to merit opening new stores so there must be something about the food that brings people back. In fact, you seem to be outnumbered by the people who DO like subway so maybe its YOUR tastebuds that are defective. :chin: You're right that it's sad that subway pops up everywhere, but that's doesn't have anything to do with the food being sold, or whether people want to eat there or not. And at the end of the day there is no need for the level of rudeness and ignorance of other people's opinions that you have shown in this thread.

    And in response to your fashion statement, I'm quite partial to a bit of leapord skin. So shoot me. I have no fashion sense and I've eaten from subway so my tastebuds must be completely defective aswell. Seriously, there's more important things to worry about - respecting other people's opinions for one. You think we're all scum for our fast food habits. Well you're not coming across too well in this thread for different reasons, which are far worse than liking the occasional fast food meal in my opinion.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kangoo wrote: »

    And in response to your fashion statement, I'm quite partial to a bit of leapord skin. .

    Grrrrrr....
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So is the big mac sauce just thousand island dressing?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Grrrrrr....

    :naughty:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my_name wrote: »
    So is the big mac sauce just thousand island dressing?
    Not a clue :p. It comes in boxes which say "MAC SAUCE" on them :p.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kangoo wrote: »
    :naughty:

    Hehe
Sign In or Register to comment.