Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Subway and big brand shops

245

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Franki wrote: »
    Not a clue :p. It comes in boxes which say "MAC SAUCE" on them :p.

    Oooo, secretive :cool:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my_name wrote: »
    Oooo, secretive :cool:

    :cool: Secret smiley.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote: »
    So is the big mac sauce just thousand island dressing?

    :no:

    Similar but definately not the same.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I stole some "burger sauce" from a burger van the other week when i was pissed. Its pretty much the same as Mac Sauce i rekon. Lush at first but makes me feel sick now ive had it on a regualar basis.

    As for subways, cant go wrong for convience, price and taste.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I like Subway. :yes: I had it tonight :yum:


    :thumb: :razz: :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I like Subway. :yes: I had it tonight :yum:


    :thumb: :razz: :p

    PREPARE TO DIE!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This thread still alive? :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kangoo wrote: »
    Kermit - you keep saying why don't people go to the cheaper, better sandwich shop 'next door. Because in many places there is no local sandwich shop next door

    Why do you think that is?
    You think we're all scum for our fast food habits.

    No I don't.

    But I do think that the existence of Subway, and the fact that people fall over themselves to eat there, has serious consequences for this country. Perhaps you like every town and city in the whole country to be the same, but I don't. I think people that buy nothing but corporate branded shite will get the towns and cities that they deserve- its just a shame that I'll have to live in them too.

    It isn't just about Subway, but people who eat there and think it fantastic are part of a much bigger and wider problem. They're entitled to their opinions and tastes, but for fuck's sake, lets not pretend that that choice doesn't have serious negative consequences for this country.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    No I don't.

    But I do think that the existence of Subway, and the fact that people fall over themselves to eat there, has serious consequences for this country. Perhaps you like every town and city in the whole country to be the same, but I don't. I think people that buy nothing but corporate branded shite will get the towns and cities that they deserve- its just a shame that I'll have to live in them too.

    It isn't just about Subway, but people who eat there and think it fantastic are part of a much bigger and wider problem. They're entitled to their opinions and tastes, but for fuck's sake, lets not pretend that that choice doesn't have serious negative consequences for this country.

    That's capitalism for you, Subway are able to offer stiffer competition with cheaper prices, they also have the ability to market themselves nationally (TV ads, posters etc etc). Subway aren't the first and won't be the last to exploit this.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Subway rocks! :thumb:

    Mmmmm Southwest Cheese Steak with lots of jalapenos :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    That's capitalism for you...Subway aren't the first and won't be the last to exploit this.

    It is, and they are, and they won't.

    It doesn't make it right and people who defend the conglomerates are idiots.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    It doesn't make it right and people who defend the conglomerates are idiots.

    It's all to do with what people/society view as more important.

    Cheap, lowish quality food vs. quality/local more expensive produce.

    The whole process of globalisation, breakdown of social/economic barriers plays a part, who gives a fuck about the local shop which has been run for over 100 years when I can get my own sandwhich made for me in Subway. Sad but true, saying that I don't mind having the odd Subway now and again.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    It doesn't make it right and people who defend the conglomerates are idiots.

    What about people who buy from conglomerates? are they idiots?

    I cant name a single person who hasnt bought something from a conglomerate at some point in their life. :no:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Cheap, lowish quality food vs. quality/local more expensive produce.

    Not to mention convenience and familiarity. It's far more convenient for most people to spend an hour in Tesco a week, than an afternoon, or full day roaming around the various shops in town.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    Because thy like it. Why do you have a hard time accepting the fact that people don't necessarily like what you like?

    i agree. kermit, you say how can people like subways but then go onto say that you like mcdonalds! it's down to individual taste - not just yours!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    What about people who buy from conglomerates? are they idiots?

    I cant name a single person who hasnt bought something from a conglomerate at some point in their life. :no:

    Totally different.

    Yes we've all bought from - and maybe do continue to buy from - certain conglomorates in our lives. It's one thing to buy from a company you know are ethically far from perfect because there is no viable other option... it's another thing entirely to leap into defensive mode and go to bat for multi-million pound conglomorates who I can guarantee will be doing you no such favours anytime in the future.

    I don't think it's idiotic per se, just short sighted and a wee bit naive.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I eat at Subway maybe once every few months, frankly I've never really seen why people get so excited about them. I regularly make much better sandwiches at home to take to work (cheaper too).
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kermit, you say how can people like subways but then go onto say that you like mcdonalds!

    Having a Big Mac every four months is hardly "liking" it, but if I'm forced to have fast food its better than a lot.

    Why is everyone so quick to defend Subway? They're a foreign multi-national company that are systematically destroying this country. People who defend them are idiots, and they're going to get the desolate city centres that they deserve.

    To all those who profess to love Subway: do you care about your cities and towns, or not? If you do, how can you marry that with an adoration for processed corporate junk?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    Why is everyone so quick to defend Subway?

    The way I read it, people weren't defending Subway so much as defending themselves, defending their tastes, and defending their choice to cram down a dirty corporate 12incher every day of their lives if they so desire.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ive never tried a subway!

    I got dragged in there one day when a friend was buying some, and i couldnt justify paying the price when i could get a boots meal deal for £2.50 :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote: »
    Totally different.

    Yes we've all bought from - and maybe do continue to buy from - certain conglomorates in our lives. It's one thing to buy from a company you know are ethically far from perfect because there is no viable other option... it's another thing entirely to leap into defensive mode and go to bat for multi-million pound conglomorates who I can guarantee will be doing you no such favours anytime in the future.

    I don't think it's idiotic per se, just short sighted and a wee bit naive.

    There is always the option not to buy it :D

    Im happy to buy from and 'bat for' conglomorate who i choose to shop with. If they meet my needs (ie. a burger, sandwhich) and im happy, then i will defend them.

    Just because someone defends a conglomorate doesnt make them idiots. It just means they have a different opinion.

    :thumb:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    Just because someone defends a conglomorate doesnt make them idiots. It just means they have a different opinion.

    As much I enjoy being patronised, I did say oooh not ten posts ago that I don't consider it "idiotic" to eat at Subway. Oh, and I'm aware of the concept of opinions, thanks :)

    The jarring part is that I'm also aware of the concept of identikit towns and find it a pretty troubling eventuality that my kids are going to grow up in a soulless vacuum of Subway and Starbucks-dominated towns and cities because people don't care about supporting local independents and keeping food miles down etc. Short sighted.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote: »
    As much I enjoy being patronised, I did say oooh not ten posts ago that I don't consider it "idiotic" to eat at Subway. Oh, and I'm aware of the concept of opinions, thanks :)

    The jarring part is that I'm also aware of the concept of identikit towns and find it a pretty troubling eventuality that my kids are going to grow up in a soulless vacuum of Subway and Starbucks-dominated towns and cities because people don't care about supporting local independents and keeping food miles down etc. Short sighted.

    Short sighted? Or just a case of them not valuing the same things as you? I think that when people get upset by huge companies, they're actually more upset by the fact that most people seem to prefer them.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Subway cheese is minging. Or whatever those plastic yellowy triangles they try to melt onto the food are made from. How do they even get away with calling it cheese? It's blatantly never been near any milk-producing animal!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Short sighted? Or just a case of them not valuing the same things as you? I think that when people get upset by huge companies, they're actually more upset by the fact that most people seem to prefer them.

    Its not that I'm upset by the popularity of Starbucks, I'm mystified, the coffee is crap and massively over priced.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    Its not that I'm upset by the popularity of Starbucks, I'm mystified, the coffee is crap and massively over priced.

    Well I'm mystified by the popularity of coffee in general, I think it's all crap. And that game of shot chess that I played where my opponent was playing as Kahlua didn't help much.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Short sighted? Or just a case of them not valuing the same things as you? I think that when people get upset by huge companies, they're actually more upset by the fact that most people seem to prefer them.

    Why would I be upset that people preferred them? I have no vested interest in the financial success of independent shops and services, other than the belief that if I don't support them then we're going to find ourselves in a position very soon of having no choice other than big-name venues in which to shop, eat and live out our controlled, seasoned and preservative-packed lives.

    Now that might suit you fine and that's your own business, but it doesn't suit me at all and I'm not going to be painted into a role of someone who hates choices and getting a bargain sandwich and having a convenient place to eat... because that's not the case at all.

    I can't fathom the popularity of Subway, but nor am I trying to deny it. It boils down to what someone said previously about knowing what you're going to get in any country in the world, knowing that you'll be served up plastic cheese and practically meatless meatballs with some bizarre choice of sauces. I've grasped that point but I will never, ever understand it. Having a identikit chain of shops that mean you are safe in your own bubble of white bread (or maybe "Italian" bread that is nothing like any bread I ever ate in Italy) and pre-sliced meat and processed cheese so you are never in the position where you have to experience local food... the dishes that people in different cultures have been eating for generations upon generations. I am supposed to swallow that that is a good thing? I think it is fucking sad.

    I'd be interested in what "values" people relate to Subway. I assume low cost and convenience. Someone at some point down the line has to pay - whether that person is a local shopowner forced out of business, or someone being paid laughable wages in some reconstituted meat factory somewhere.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Subway cheese is minging. Or whatever those plastic yellowy triangles they try to melt onto the food are made from. How do they even get away with calling it cheese? It's blatantly never been near any milk-producing animal!

    It might be cat cheese.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally, I think it's largely down to branding. The same reason that people will buy designer perfume, even though they've never even tried on any clothes by that designer. What values do people see in Subway? Well let's assume for a second that they consider it to taste good, and be affordable (otherwise, why would they buy it) I guess look at the adverts for the rest. Subway adverts seem to suggest freshness, individuality, good service, modern food and to some degree, glamour. I wouldn't know whether this is reflected in store through the design and service though. I've never set foot in one. I prefer my three local bakeries. ;)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It might be cat cheese.
    Cats make milk, so my comment still works :p
Sign In or Register to comment.