Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Subway and big brand shops

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cats make milk, so my comment still works :p

O.K. Stone cheese.
  • Options
    I had one at lunchtime, and asked for double meatballs, but the bloke just kept putting more and more on.

The thing was so soggy it collapsed in the break out area at work and made an almighty mess.

Lovely.
  • Options
    I'm not exactly crying into my beer about the popularity of Subway, and whilst I find it unfathomable, I don't think that my opinion is the only one that's right. If someone finds a Subway sandwich to the best thing ever then I think they have dubious taste, but I don't think they are "bad people" for it. I think anyone who obsesses over brands is a bit plastic, to be quite honest, as I think obsessing over what you're seen to be eating, drinking and wearing shows a distinct lack of personality. Perhaps some people genuinely do eat at Subway because they consider it the best thing going for the price (and who am I to disagree) I just can't help but feel that it's mostly a victory for style over substance and for brand over quality.

Personality is what my real gripe with Subway is- how every one is the same, looks the same, tastes the same. Our town centres are all the same- there are six Subways, four Stabucks, a couple of Costas and 27 Greggs. Maybe that doesn't bother a lot of people, but it bothers me. It's destroying where we live, and I for one can't accept that this is suitable or acceptable. I blame the people who shop at these places, and have such unwavering brand loyalty to a company that clearly doesn't give two hoots about the towns and cities it opens up in.

Newcastle has ten Subways, eight of which are in the city centre. Why so many? It's the same with Starbucks. It's done to deliberately wipe all competition out, and when the competition is gone, I wonder if Starbucks' and Subway's great prices will remain. I doubt it. And the people who are so unwavering in their loyalty to this faceless conglomerate will be left with no choice. I'm sure they'd be chuffed to be able to eat a Steak Bake, a Meatball Marinara, or nothing. I wouldn't be.

I'll repeat what I asked before: To all those who profess to love Subway: do you care about your cities and towns, or not? If you do, how can you marry that with an adoration for processed corporate junk?
  • Options
    My town doesn't have a Subway or a Burger King. We've got two McDonalds, two Greggs, on KFC, and the rest are independent. Jealous? :p
  • Options
    My town doesn't have a Subway or a Burger King. We've got two McDonalds, two Greggs, on KFC, and the rest are independent. Jealous? :p

Well, my area has both a Burger King and a KFC, but an Iranian restaurant has just opened up around the corner so I expect them to go out of business soon.
  • Options
    Ooh, I've never seen an Iranian restaurant. What sort of food do they serve? Say "Iranian food" and I'll kick your arse.
  • Options
    Ooh, I've never seen an Iranian restaurant. What sort of food do they serve? Say "Iranian food" and I'll kick your arse.

Its largely lamb and infidels - with a bit of humous on the side.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    As much I enjoy being patronised, I did say oooh not ten posts ago that I don't consider it "idiotic" to eat at Subway. Oh, and I'm aware of the concept of opinions, thanks :)

The jarring part is that I'm also aware of the concept of identikit towns and find it a pretty troubling eventuality that my kids are going to grow up in a soulless vacuum of Subway and Starbucks-dominated towns and cities because people don't care about supporting local independents and keeping food miles down etc. Short sighted.

Move to the countryside then. But im happy to see Starbucks, Subway, McDonald's etc in the high street.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I'll repeat what I asked before: To all those who profess to love Subway: do you care about your cities and towns, or not?

I'll hold my hands up and say that never enters my mind at 1pm when I'm starving for my lunch.

I work bang in the centre of town next to Central Station, there's three Subways and Greggs within a five minute walk. Couple of Burger Kings and McDonalds too. 99% of the time if I've nothing with me I'll go to one of those places or the chippy, because it tastes alright (to me), fills me up and I can be in and out within five minutes and be upstairs munching away and having a gossip and a read of the paper.

The one sandwich shop I can think of off the top of my head that's anywhere near as close charges about £3.50 for a chicken and bacon roll.

The style over substance suggestion is a fair enough point, but then again if the roles were reversed and there was 1 Subway for every 10 local sandwich shops then I'd probably eat less Subway and more "proper" sandwiches.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Move to the countryside then. But im happy to see Starbucks, Subway, McDonald's etc in the high street.

Great attitude you've got there. Majority-rules-way or the highway (bridle path, to be more accurate) :thumb:
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Great attitude you've got there. Majority-rules-way or the highway (bridle path, to be more accurate) :thumb:

Thats democracy for you. :D
  • Options
    Having a Big Mac every four months is hardly "liking" it, but if I'm forced to have fast food its better than a lot.

Why is everyone so quick to defend Subway? They're a foreign multi-national company that are systematically destroying this country. People who defend them are idiots, and they're going to get the desolate city centres that they deserve.

To all those who profess to love Subway: do you care about your cities and towns, or not? If you do, how can you marry that with an adoration for processed corporate junk?

Maybe this is stupid of me but I think large corporations are going to exist in a modern society anyway. I'm not prescribing to the 'give it up' attitude but to me it seems that if everyone went to an independant sarnie shop....Surely with all the revenue it will become a brand and have a chain of shops?

Again, whilst I dont think it's fair to neglect the small-run local businesses I do think that it's impossible to avoid brands such as Subway. Corporations are everywhere and whilst I appreciate that they do sometimes run small businesses out of town I don't think that they are necessarily the epitomy of evil.
  • Options
  • Options
    In my town we don't have any of these places. Have about 3 chinese takeaways, 2 chippies and 4 pubs though.
  • Options
    :yuck: Is all i can say, nothing is fresh its all bull shit.
    Stupid american shit *raises fist in anger*
  • Options
    someone should start one of those petitions to tony blair...they seem to be the popular thing to do at the moment, as opening subways was 12months ago.
  • Options
    They're a foreign multi-national company that are systematically destroying this country.

:lol:
  • Options
    Even independant sarnie shops will not disguise the fact that you live in Barrow :p

Well it's like Milan compared to where you're from. :p Incidentally, have you ever indulged in a Diggles cornish pasty? Best pie ever.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

I'd love to, but the buy-to-let landlords have priced me out :thumb:
    Well it's like Milan compared to where you're from. :p Incidentally, have you ever indulged in a Diggles cornish pasty? Best pie ever.

Nah, Bell's of Lazonby are the best in Cumbria, by far.
    Rachael wrote:
    I'm not prescribing to the 'give it up' attitude but to me it seems that if everyone went to an independant sarnie shop....Surely with all the revenue it will become a brand and have a chain of shops?

I don't have any problems with small chains of shops, two of the bakeries I mentioned above (Bell's of Lazonby and Peter's of Durham) are chains. What I have a problem with is the systematic way in which the large conglomerates move into an area and try and drive everyone else out.

Starbucks are notorious for opening five or six shops in a small area simply to drive competitors out of business, and Subway are the same. If Subway had one or two shops in a town I probably wouldn't loathe them so much, but as I say, the city I live in has TEN of the fuckers. They are proud of the fact that the chain opens 1,000 stores a year. There can't possibly be enough people in a city of 200,000 people to keep ten of them open, so all I can suppose is that they are doing it to drive other companies out of business.
  • Options
    I don't kmow if this makes a differance but Subways are franchises.

Btw I was over charged 20p last week so today they gave Me a free cookie :D
  • Options
    Having a Big Mac every four months is hardly "liking" it, but if I'm forced to have fast food its better than a lot.

i was going by this:
    They're not even the best sandwich from a fast food chain (McDonalds' deli wraps are much nicer)

you can't say 'why do you like subways, they're tasteless' and then proceed to say but how YOU like deli wraps. i probably wouldn't like the deli wraps but i understand that that's down to personal preference - and not a matter of being right or wrong.
  • Options
    I don't kmow if this makes a differance but Subways are franchises.

So are McDonalds...
  • Options
    you can't say 'why do you like subways, they're tasteless' and then proceed to say but how YOU like deli wraps.

Who said I liked the deli wraps? I didn't :confused:
  • Options
    i probably wouldn't like the deli wraps

Try one - you'd be surprised :yes:.
  • Options
    I would love to know where these towns are that have no local sandwhich shops and non-conglomerate places.

It's the people like Kermit, Briggi, and me to a certain extent that is the reason those places will always still exist.

If others don't want to eat there, we can't make them, so what? Just make sure you bring up your kids with the right attitude innit.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I would love to know where these towns are that have no local sandwhich shops and non-conglomerate place.

Leeds city centre. Plenty open Monday - Friday for the city workers, Saturday lunchtime? McD, Subway or Greggs. Take your pick.
  • Options
    Who said I liked the deli wraps? I didn't :confused:

surely what i quoted you as saying earlier equates to you liking them..

Originally Posted by Kermit
    They're not even the best sandwich from a fast food chain (McDonalds' deli wraps are much nicer)
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Leeds city centre. Plenty open Monday - Friday for the city workers, Saturday lunchtime? McD, Subway or Greggs. Take your pick.

Supply and demand.....
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Plenty of people work Saturday. We all end up in McDonalds or Greggs - which are jammed.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »

The thing is, I see your point. To run with this point means getting into the huge issue of the fact that we live in a culture where the mantra seems to be "can't wait, must eat".

The basic point of sandwich shops [in whatever incarnation, be it Subway or your butcher/baker or a local chain] is to provide people with food on the go... in lunchbreaks when they aren't at home and don't have time to sit down for a proper meal or haven't had time/ingredients to make a pack-up... a filling thing to tide them over but ultimately just a means to an end. People wouldn't actually head out with the intention of eating in a sandwich shop. In days gone by people would have gone out shopping, to the football, to the pub, with the kids, to the park etc on a Saturday or Sunday and then gone home for their tea at some given time and they would have enjoyed it and been nourished and kept their £3.50 in their pocket and damn well appreciated what was put on a plate in front of them. Of course these were also the days when people worked up an appetite and appreciated their food, rather than ramming some junk down their throat because they happened to pass a cheapy fast food chain or because they felt the teeniest hunger pang.

I don't get it, I guess, and we're never all going to agree. CheeseonToast you're bang on that my kids will be independent sandwich shop shoppers all the way... if I haven't fucked off to the deepest, darkest countryside first of course -- at Calvin's suggestion ;)