Home Politics & Debate
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Limited spaces available! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

British or not????

12346»

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    No I am retracting my 1 wrong assumption of you for the FOURTH time of saying it.
    Mine was based on what you posted but I can admit I am wrong or have made a mistake. You obviously can not. Otherwise you would have done the first or second time I brought this to your attention.

    What are you on about? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you have the fucking memory of a goldfish or something??
    Maybe you ought to reread my last bunch of posts properly and it should start to make a bit of sense. If you can't comprehend what I am saying then I'll state it in basic terms for you.

    I want you to admit that you were wrong about the 3 assumptions that you made about me.I have admitted that I was wrong in my assumption of you but you are maybe just too self righteous to even admit that you were wrong with your assumptions.
    So quit fucking dodging with this I don't know what your on about Bullshit and just do it. Or the second option is to state that you are so self-righteous that you can't admit you're wrong. This second one won't be in these exact terms but I'll read between the lines.
    Who knows, maybe you'll find some friends in the self righteous part of the Catholic church?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What the fuck are you on about? How was I wrong?

    You have made idiotic assumptions (you admit it yourself), you have made melodramatic statements (pissing on graves of soldiers by being critical of them being in Iraq) and you can't tell the difference between respecting a person and respecting the job they do (as I have shown).

    So, how was I wrong?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    What the fuck are you on about? How was I wrong?

    :banghead: Allow me to explain it to you using your own posts and then my reply to each below.

    Posted by Blagsta:
    1. I also think you're one of those people who can't tell the difference between respecting a particular job someone does and respecting a person. I have nothing against the ordinary grunt that joins the army, I never said I did. Maybe you should read my posts a bit more carefully.

    2. I also think you're one of those people who makes idiotic melodramatic statements.

    3. I think you're one of those people who makes stupid assumptions.

    In Reply
    1. The job you do in civil and armed services becomes a part of who you are. A police man when not working isn't just a normal person, they are called an off duty police man. In other words, even when they aren't working they are still a part of that job and the job is a part of them.

    2. Maybe I did but are you honestly saying that you never have? Everyone on this board probably has. So a bit hypocritical don't you think?

    3. Look at the little hypocrite. Were these not stupid assumptions? Mine was miscalculated and therefore stupid but your 3 are exactly the same.

    Now do you understand?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ghost18 wrote: »

    In Reply
    1. The job you do in civil and armed services becomes a part of who you are. A police man when not working isn't just a normal person, they are called an off duty police man. In other words, even when they aren't working they are still a part of that job and the job is a part of them.

    What a load of shit. No one I know who has been in the armed forces thinks that way.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    2. Maybe I did but are you honestly saying that you never have? Everyone on this board probably has. So a bit hypocritical don't you think?

    Of course. But we're not talking about anyone else at the moment are we? If you'd like to find one of my melodramatic statements (I'm sure there is one) and comment on it, be my guest.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    3. Look at the little hypocrite. Were these not stupid assumptions? Mine was miscalculated and therefore stupid but your 3 are exactly the same.

    Errrrmmm...if you could demonstrate how they were "stupid assumptions", you might be right. But you can't.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    Now do you understand?

    I understand where you're coming from, yes. I just happen to think you're full of shit. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :rolleyes:

    Two people, divided by a common language.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :rolleyes:

    Two people, divided by a common language.

    I think I'm being quite clear. How the hell can I respect a job I disagree with?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Errrrmmm...if you could demonstrate how they were "stupid assumptions", you might be right. But you can't.
    I understand where you're coming from, yes. I just happen to think you're full of shit. :)

    Just the same as you couldn't demonstrate that mine was a stupid assumption but you still assumed it anyway. Only difference is that I can admit my when I am wrong and you just can't.
    Maybe no one has ever told you this but you are not infallable. The world will not end if you admit you are wrong once in a while.

    You have just spoken with the sort of self righteousness you find in Catholics. The Infamous "I understand where you're coming from but I'm right" attitude.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    Just the same as you couldn't demonstrate that mine was a stupid assumption but you still assumed it anyway.

    No, I was responding to what you wrote.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    Only difference is that I can admit my when I am wrong and you just can't.
    Maybe no one has ever told you this but you are not infallable. The world will not end if you admit you are wrong once in a while.

    Yes, if I'm wrong I admit it. I just don't happen to be wrong here.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    You have just spoken with the sort of self righteousness you find in Catholics. The Infamous "I understand where you're coming from but I'm right" attitude.

    You're the one making sweeping statements about jobs and identity, like its some kind of universal law, not me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    I think I'm being quite clear. How the hell can I respect a job I disagree with?

    We all disagree with the reason why they are out there but like I said that is not their fault. But because they are there they have a job to do. That job, like I have said before is to stop a country from going into a civil war. You can argue against the reason and still respect the job they are doing now. They are separable and it does not make you a hypocrite.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    We all disagree with the reason why they are out there but like I said that is not their fault.

    No shit, Sherlock.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    But because they are there they have a job to do.

    No shit, Sherlock.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    That job, like I have said before is to stop a country from going into a civil war.

    It already is a civil war and has been for some time.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    You can argue against the reason and still respect the job they are doing now.

    Yes you can, but I'm not, because I think its nonsensical.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    They are separable and it does not make you a hypocrite.

    You still can't tell me why I should respect a job I disagree with.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    No, I was responding to what you wrote.

    Yes, if I'm wrong I admit it. I just don't happen to be wrong here.

    You're the one making sweeping statements about jobs and identity, like its some kind of universal law, not me.

    As I have been responding to what you wrote for quite a while now. But obviously that only works one way because it suits you that way?

    But you are wrong about me and you can't justify what you have said about me, just the same as I can't justify what I said about you.

    I don't state it as universal law, but society's law. People associate people when face to face with what job they do and don't even try to say that they don't.
    When speaking to new people face to face, people nearly always ask what someone does for a living. Do you honestly think we do that out of curiosity? Or because sub-consciously we group people? Where do you think the stereotypes come from?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    It already is a civil war and has been for some time.

    Shows how little you know about civil wars.
    All it is at the moment is civil unrest on the verge of civil war.
    If a civil did break out there would be deaths in thousands, not hundreds every day. Pull up the figures of Sierra Leone if you don't believe me. Nearly 5 and a half million people dead in nearly 7 years. That is civil war.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    As I have been responding to what you wrote for quite a while now. But obviously that only works one way because it suits you that way?

    No, because you are assuming that your opinion is completely correct and true, not just an opinion. I'm fully aware that my opinion is different from yours and there is no universal truth on the matter.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    But you are wrong about me and you can't justify what you have said about me, just the same as I can't justify what I said about you.

    :confused:
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    I don't state it as universal law, but society's law.

    Yes, but it isn't, is it? Its just your opinion.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    People associate people when face to face with what job they do and don't even try to say that they don't.

    Some people do. This is the crux of the matter.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    When speaking to new people face to face, people nearly always ask what someone does for a living. Do you honestly think we do that out of curiosity? Or because sub-consciously we group people? Where do you think the stereotypes come from?

    It's a bit of both tbh. But it also depends on the job and the person. If I was to meet someone down the pub and get on with them and then they told me they were in the army, it wouldn't stop me getting on with them.

    You're assuming that your way of looking at the world is true for everyone. It isn't. It's only your opinion, same as what I think is only my opinion, although of course I think that mine is right - but I'm aware that it is not a universal law and other people disagree with me - something you need to get your head round.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    Shows how little you know about civil wars.
    All it is at the moment is civil unrest on the verge of civil war.
    If a civil did break out there would be deaths in thousands, not hundreds every day. Pull up the figures of Sierra Leone if you don't believe me. Nearly 5 and a half million people dead in nearly 7 years. That is civil war.

    The US intelligence services yesterday admitted for the first time that the violence in Iraq constituted a "civil war".

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2005085,00.html
    A civil war is a war in which parties within the same culture, society or nationality fight against each other for the control of political power. Political scientists use two criteria: the warring groups must be from the same country and fighting for control of the political center, control over a separatist state or to force a major change in policy. The second criterion is that at least 1,000 people must have been killed in total, with at least 100 from each side.[1]

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_war
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I didn't say they had to point blank refuse, but a bit of basic resistance would have gone a long way to averting this whole mess.

    What do you mean by basic resistance? A sit down protest perhaps?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    No, because you are assuming that your opinion is completely correct and true, not just an opinion. I'm fully aware that my opinion is different from yours and there is no universal truth on the matter

    I have already admitted my assumption that I made about you was wrong. When you admit you are wrong it normally means that you don't believe it to be correct and true.
    I do believe I am completely correct however on the fact that you stated things about me which were not correct and true.
    I normally don't take debates this far unless I absolutely need to. I can normally agree to disagree with someone and let it be but this I will not let go until I get what I am looking for. This is an admittance that what you said about about me is unfounded and therefore not true.

    I know that your view is different to mine but I still debate about it. You yourself do the same with others views as I have seen in many threads on this messageboard. Nobody can agree about everything otherwise life would be boring.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course no one can agree on everything. However, stating opinions as some kind of universal truth is rather silly.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    this just remove our troops from a fight they dont want to be in, let the people of iraq all kill themselfs(seems the only thing they like doing).

    at the end of the day why spend money on iraq, what have they ever done for us?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do you mean by basic resistance? A sit down protest perhaps?
    I don't know, saying it was a stupid idea, asking for more proof, suggesting going through the UN.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I don't know, saying it was a stupid idea, asking for more proof, suggesting going through the UN.

    But Parliament still voted for war and I suspect that like most people who work with intelligence they realise its limitations and like anyone who's worked with the UN they have no trust in that body.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Territt wrote: »
    this just remove our troops from a fight they dont want to be in, let the people of iraq all kill themselfs(seems the only thing they like doing).

    at the end of the day why spend money on iraq, what have they ever done for us?


    You are asking the wrong question.
    You should ask: What have we ever done for Iraq?

    And the answer is: we only supplied and funded Saddam for years allowing him to kill thousands and thousands of his own people.

    See where I am going with this?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Territt wrote: »
    this just remove our troops from a fight they dont want to be in, let the people of iraq all kill themselfs(seems the only thing they like doing).

    at the end of the day why spend money on iraq, what have they ever done for us?

    Incisive analysis there, well done.
Sign In or Register to comment.