Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Vista thread...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

www.jayswebby.net/vista_guide/Your_guide_to_windows_vista.doc

:thumb:
    Just because I'm right :p.

Like someone said above - You've got a crap PC:yum:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Right. You go on about Flip 3D.

Botherd ;)
    That'd generate lag and take an age.

No lag for me, if your PC can't handle it get Basic.
    I want a smooth running OS

You say you want a smooth one, vista has NOT Crashed for me once since i got it.
    Vista wouldn't run on a P3 really.

Thats why we have this... Click
    But it can run on a P1

But you would get so much lag - Wait did'nt you say something about lag with windows vista?
    Makoto wrote: »
    Vista isn't going to change the way we work on computers.

Its the way You use it
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    CoolMe is just on a high...

High in the clouds my friend, High in the clouds:)

p.s Sorry for all the quotes - There was ALOt of posts i had to catch up on;)
  • Options
    Tell you what guys. When I get vista ultimate 64 bit tomorrow, and when I have time to set it up (still wondering whether I should risk resizing my NTFS partition to fit another one in, or just format the drive completely and start afresh) - I'll document it and put it up somewhere.

So far though I've even found 64bit Vista drivers for my A4tech webcam pro (cheapy crappy webcam :D). Asus is vista-d up, and I dont anticpiate many problems with ATI either.

But, will do a little step by step for anyone who's interested :)
  • Options
    When I get vista ultimate 64 bit tomorrow

wew!!

Vista fan club should be set up:D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Thats why we have this... Click

What, it upgrades your PC from a P3 as well? :rolleyes:

But you would get so much lag - Wait did'nt you say something about lag with windows vista?

Actually, XP takes about 30 mins to boot up on a P1, but when it HAS booted up it ran fine. Absolutley fine.

Even when I played Red Alert (after applying the XP patch. Bet it won't run on Vista, sadly.)
  • Options
    Like someone said above - You've got a crap PC:yum:

You're missing the point - my PC does everything I need, and is likely to do so for some time to come. Why should I upgrade it? Just because another OS is out, which will let me do what I do now, but requires a higher-spec PC to do-so?

I don't think that's going to happen :).
  • Options

Installed this earlier this evening. It's pretty damned cool, and perfectly responsive/usable on my old Ti4200 GeForce4 :). Cheers!

4 Screenshots attached, for anyone who fancies a look. Haven't been able to fiddle with it too much yet, but it's pretty slick :). Screenshots are 1600x1200, which is probably larger than a lot of your displays. But some of us with crappy PC's have awesome monitors... ;) Sizes from 390-430k, so not *that* huge really...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I had posted some of my screenshots (from an earlier version) here.

It's a pretty cool thing, though most of it is eye candy. I like being able to drag windows from one desktop to the other with the mouse, the "scale" option, zooming in etc.
  • Options
    Very nice. I could never get it to work on mine, AFAIK linux isn't best friends with ATI :grump:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Very nice. I could never get it to work on mine, AFAIK linux isn't best friends with ATI :grump:
    Actually it's the other way around. :p
  • Options
    okay not feeling very "bright" very run down right now.

Thank you Jim changing the title.

If you want a BRAND NEW OS you most likely get a BRAND NEW PC because it has such HIGH requierments.
  • Options
    The only fear is if it turns out to be another windows ME. But I assume we're safe. *crosses fingers*
  • Options
    The only fear is if it turns out to be another windows ME. But I assume we're safe. *crosses fingers*

ahahaha!!!!:D
  • Options
    :flirt: The Vista thread is quiet!!!

Lets bump it up abit.

Anyone else brought the product?
  • Options
    Update on mine:

they were out of stock of a TV card and my bank balance was looking a bit worse for wear, so I cancelled and ordered home premium instead. Saved meself £80 :eek:
  • Options
    was half thinking bout getting vista to see what all the hoo haa is about, thing is though i don't want the shitey upgrade disc as i did this with xp and all i got was trouble so i want a fresh install, thing is its a laptop i have and was wondering about how i go about doing this?.
  • Options
    You probably don't need it yet tbh ;) (watch coolme kill me) - if you're happy with XP then you don't need to worry about it, just get it when it comes with your next computer.

The only people who need to worry about it are:

- geeks like me (or enthusiasts, as we like to call ourselves :D)
    - IT professionals who are going to need to work with it (i.e. fix it) for the next couple of years before the next one
    - software managers in big companies who need to tell their bosses whether to upgrade or not

To be fair, for £70 for the OEM Home Premium, I just can't justify it for your average happy go lucky PC user. It has a lot of things that haven't been taken advantage of yet, like content coming through the internet (so watching films and TV from the internet rather than through the TV) and so on and so forth.

Really just get an OEM cd it's cheaper than the upgrade and you can do a lcean install. That's only if you're sure though.
  • Options
    You probably don't need it yet tbh ;) (watch coolme kill me) - if you're happy with XP then you don't need to worry about it, just get it when it comes with your next computer.

The only people who need to worry about it are:

- geeks like me (or enthusiasts, as we like to call ourselves :D)
    - IT professionals who are going to need to work with it (i.e. fix it) for the next couple of years before the next one
    - software managers in big companies who need to tell their bosses whether to upgrade or not

To be fair, for £70 for the OEM Home Premium, I just can't justify it for your average happy go lucky PC user. It has a lot of things that haven't been taken advantage of yet, like content coming through the internet (so watching films and TV from the internet rather than through the TV) and so on and so forth.

Really just get an OEM cd it's cheaper than the upgrade and you can do a lcean install. That's only if you're sure though.

well i only got this laptop bout four months ago so i dont see me buying a new machine anytime in the near future and i know i can run home premium as i did microsofts test thing plus i liek to know whats new and whatnot (im just a nosey bugger), was onlt thinking bout it tbh, just i know there will be a few people in my village who will buy it and everyone seems to ask me to fix there machnes when something goes tits up so i'd like to have a bit of knowledge in it :yes:
  • Options
    Well if you want it, pop over to www.scan.co.uk, and buy home premium OEM. Basically it's the same as retail but doesn't come in a nice box. And costs less than half the price.
  • Options
    Well if you want it, pop over to www.scan.co.uk, and buy home premium OEM. Basically it's the same as retail but doesn't come in a nice box. And costs less than half the price.

so you basically pay all that money for a fancy dvd case? madness :/

hmm will have to think about it its a toss up between vista and a new pair of headphones
  • Options
    Upgrade discs can still be used for a clean install. Needs bodging though. :)
  • Options
    Upgrade discs can still be used for a clean install. Needs bodging though. :)

explain on, gwan :chin:
  • Options
    Courtesy of my old friend, Mike Magee...

Basically, begin the installation, but don't enter the licence number. It'll install anyway, but not work. You then have to install again, and enter the licence number. Hey-ho... upgraded from Vista RTM to Vista RTM. :)

I've not tried this, so don't take my loose instructions as gospel, but it'll be well documented online I'm sure :).
  • Options
    Courtesy of my old friend, Mike Magee...

Basically, begin the installation, but don't enter the licence number. It'll install anyway, but not work. You then have to install again, and enter the licence number. Hey-ho... upgraded from Vista RTM to Vista RTM. :)

I've not tried this, so don't take my loose instructions as gospel, but it'll be well documented online I'm sure :).

most excellent my man,

could be worth a pop me thinks
  • Options
    Or you can install Vista, not enter the licence number, you have 30 days use, then download a proggy that stops the timer.

Don't expect you'll be able to download updates though.

I hope I don't get in trouble for this comment :p. But it's nice in a way, if a friend wants to 'test' Vista, give them your CD and they just don't enter a key. Then they get a 30 days trial in a way.

Microsoft is going subscription based anyway for the next OS, so I expect by the end of it's lifecycle a lot of people will have Vista.
  • Options
    I just read a really good article about how the lack of performance in games etc. isn't Microsoft's fault - but rather that EVEN though RTM has been about for a good few months (for the devs anyway), companies like Nvidia didn't develop proper drivers, rather opting to develop the 8800 and DX10, as it forces people to upgrade and lose all their money.

According to the article, anyway :chin: (can be found on bittech)
  • Options
    Wouldn't the RTM need to have been out for a lot longer than a few months though - I mean game development now is working on what, 2 - 3 year time spans, let alone hardware.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Wouldn't the RTM need to have been out for a lot longer than a few months though - I mean game development now is working on what, 2 - 3 year time spans, let alone hardware.

That's true, but apparently they haven't spent an appropriate amount of time on OLD drivers, rather just updating their newest and best.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »

From past experiences, very little changes from beta 2 onwards. It's all bugfixes - so developers should have a very good idea of what is going to be in the OS, and what won't. The February CTP(22/2/06) was feature-complete, and beta 2 was released in May. So nVidia and everyone else have had many, many months to complete whatever changes are required. A good 9-months to develop and certify - it should be plenty of time for a big corporation to ensure they are adequately prepared and able to support the large customer base they have.

ETA - just to add that Microsoft are hoping to release the next version of Windows in 2009. Whether it'll be an entire new OS, a big service-pack, or VistaSE, I have no idea - but I'd be mighty pissed if I spend a lot of money on an OS that was only going to be cutting-edge for a couple of years. 4-5 years is a good timeframe, as PC development moves on at a rate that leaves top-spec PC's at the bottom-end after 2.5-3 years, meaning a lot of users upgrade - and are then just about able to run the latest and greatest version of Windows a couple of years down the line.

A 2 year product cycle is too short for such a major component, IMO. Win98/98SE was just a big bugfix for Win95, and was used to allow Microsoft to dominate the browser market. WinME doesn't even warrant a mention. The real upgrade was Win2k - a completely different platform. After that, it took a couple of years for XP, which was Win2k in a package geared toward consumers rather than business. Vista was supposed to be another big leap - similar to the jump from 95/98 to 2k or XP. But so much has been stripped to get it ready "on time"(I use the term very loosely), I expect the next release to be what Vista was supposed to be - but like 98 and 98SE, it'll be chargeable.
  • Options
    Been outa town for awhile.

Intresting points everyone.

The thing with the 30 day stop timer is that you will get some problems with drivers ect.

Home prem is what everyone needs! So yes DO GET IT!

And... Get Vistaaaa!:)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    hmm will have to think about it its a toss up between vista and a new pair of headphones

Headphones would be a better investment, they won't piss you off anywhere near as much as Vista will!