Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Vista thread...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Oh cool, Oem? If so, where from and what hardware did you need to buy with it?

OEM Yes
    Hardware no

Price: £70 incld VAT :D

Also look at this clip people! And listen to what the students say!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6310000/newsid_6312500/6312563.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm
  • Options
    It seems Ultimate has been cracked... :chin: - if you don't put a key in Microsoft give you 30 days 'grace' period, however there is a way to make it so the 30 days stays like that indefinately. And since this is the RTM version, as long as you turn off windows updates, it's out there, for free....
  • Options
    I'll stick to the LEGAL stuff :flirt:
  • Options
    Yea, it is a bit cheap stealing OSs.

I'm just curious though, haven't seen Vista yet. Am sticking with XP for the time being though. I like my compatibility, thankyew :p
  • Options
    Run the test alot more stuff works with vista now...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=42B5AC83-C24F-4863-A389-3FFC194924F8&displaylang=en

If your intrested in the Home prem or any ther Vista i'd go to this place...

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/search.aspx?search=vista

:D
  • Options
    I'd certainly trust scan.co.uk more than eclipse - they sent me round the bend last time I tried to use them. So where's the demo?
  • Options
    So where's the demo?

I linked you to the upgrade advisor...

What happened last time? I only went with them because the price and IT guy at school linked me to them
  • Options
    Basically they have an out of date ordering / stock system. It said the item was 'in stock' even though it wasn't, then they didn't email to tell me my order was delayed. They said order confirmed, and that was it. I emailed them 5 days later and they said it was currently out of stock and they were having difficulty sourcing the item. So I asked them to cancel the order :)
  • Options
    Ooooooh i think ill ring them and ask when my order is coming although vista is not aviable yet but only to buy
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6313981.stm
    Windows Vista is "dramatically more secure than any other operating system released", Microsoft founder Bill Gates has told BBC News.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6316253.stm
  • Options
    http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/01/30/Windows_Vista_review/1.html

bit-tech (who are a really good PC journalism website thing) have said:
    Without considering the gaming advantages of Vista, it's clear to us that the new MS OS is worth the asking price - providing you can pick up an OEM copy. Full-version Vista is best saved for a) those who don't mind forking out over hundreds while only getting Home Premium and b) those who buy with new systems.

Whether you choose 64-bit or 32-bit Vista will ultimately come down to how far ahead you want to push. Yes, 64-bit is more secure and is a 'cleaner' operating system, with less backwards compatibility and more headroom for the future - especially if you're using more modern hardware. However, 32-bit is the smoother upgrade for most people, and is probably the one we would recommend to almost everyone.

When DirectX 10 games start arriving, the avid PC gamer isn't going to have a choice about upgrading. But, until then, get a disc and start the installation - you'll never go back to bland old XP again.

Hmmm :chin: they even said: "the OEM versions of the software - as low as £115 for Ultimate and £75 for Home Premium - are a steal, and you should definitely pick up Vista as your next upgrade."

So, who's going for it? They said that it was a lot more stable than the betas and had much less issues. Feel free to read the article though :)
  • Options
    you'll never go back to bland old XP again.

Too right!!!

Jump on the vista bus with mee!
  • Options
    Heh, I would but I do go to a lot of LANs and we tend to have all our systems 'match up' - otherwise you end up with the game detecting a millions bugs :(. So normally it's a quick format to XP, then install the game with daemon, then apply the correct patch, then the correct no-cd.. and we're away!

With DX10 games round the corner though, give it a efw months and I'm sure upgrading will be more sensible. The review dispells a lot of myths though that Vista is still in an unusable state, thankfully :)
  • Options
    Just give it time, your be on vista!
  • Options
    Just reading the responses to the article, 95% of people seem to think it's quite fair, but are understandably worried about their current rigs working on it.

Then a linux user pops up! :D - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1414575&postcount=51
    I have never seen such tosh in my entire life!

It is probably the most uncomprehensive review I have ever read. You only included the "good" factors of Vista. Most of it was opinion, "it has a nice interface" or "ooh look, gadgets". You failed to mention the unimaginably awful things surrounding Microsoft's latest version of the bane of my existence. After being a long-time Macintosh, and GNU/Linux user I can honestly say Windows is, and always has been, lacking.

Hehe, and he goes on like that...

edit - then a few posts down the guy who wrote the article rips into him so completely it makes you want to cry, hehe.
  • Options
    I've never read someone moan so much! *slaps*

What he saying is only what he thinks so the they are both wrong in what they are saying.

Can't stand people like that.
  • Options
    It's most amusing that he hasn't actually used Vista yet. And criticises the interface although he admits he doesn't use Windows, so how he can compare to XP / 98 I don't know :p. Suffice to say, he got pwned quite nicely :)
  • Options
    typical linux geek.
  • Options
    he got pwned quite nicely :)

yay!
  • Options
    Anyway, you will let us know how you get on with it won't you?
  • Options
    ...and ten minutes later matt finally makes it to page 8.

You have this strange ability to start super threads Jase...

im never going to hear the end of it once you get it either am i :p
  • Options
    I will review it and make you all get it!

Especaily you matt:flirt:

Vista will rule the world! thats 90% of it beacause that other 10% are fools!
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    I will review it and make you all get it!

Especaily you matt:flirt:

Vista will rule the world! thats 90% of it beacause that other 10% are fools!

95% according to some sources :p
  • Options
    95% according to some sources :p

Well i must not say difference to what the sources are saying!

The other 5% are fools!

Thank you shyboy:thumb:
  • Options
    Ok, I just got banned from another forum for posting a link to the article that thought you could re-use the same key more than once by an up-himself mod saying:

"Piracy promotion forbidden. Read the rules next time you join a forum."

:eek:. How does one go about e-mailing moderators? Cos I wasn't promoting piracy, as soon as someone pointed out it could be dodgy, I said

"Oh, I didn't realise it was illegal, sorry . They said in the article though simply that they weren't using the old system anymore, they weren't lying or deceiving Microsoft, maybe it's an un-advertised but legitimate work-around?"

Grr. Sorry, not necessarily the right place, but I've been pwned :(
  • Options
    Ha! Everytime you try post something about vista no one likes it, but when i do.. :lol:

I been working on this what does everyone think...

Its Attached.
  • Options
    Perhaps slightly excessive...

Well I've PMd the mod responsible asking why I was banned without so much was a warning :/. I reckon in some communities though they feel cool by banning new users with quirky comments rather than an explanation.

Unless he's justified, in which case I should be banned from here, for posting a link to the exact same article that says that you can have Vista, get a new system and reinstall it. :/
  • Options
    Hm so what do you think overall?

Just email them and see
  • Options
    It's very professional, if it's for an IT or business project, very good. Couple of object placement errors, and should double check your grammer, but that's relatively minor - the overall presentation is very high quality.
  • Options
    heh - he unbanned me. Said he'd seen someone on another forum spamming the article and thought I was a clone :confused: