Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First Car?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I'm in the midst of learning to drive and have been told by my instructor that I should be thinking about getting a little run around to practise in etc.

So, I've been saving since I was a tween, but haven't actually got that much money in my 'car fund'. So, I'm looking for a car with the cheapest insurance/tax etc... any ideas? Any recommendations? I was thinking an older Renault Clio or something...?

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    New ones yes. Old ones no, they're made out of cardboard, like all old Renaults.
  • Options
    Google for group 1/2 insurance cars. Usually corsas, 106s, clios etc. The kind of thing you see the boy racers in.

I'm gonna go for a corsa probably, and a 206 next year.
  • Options
    My mum asked her insurance company what they recommended and they said never a new car, always an older car. And foreign are cheaper to insure apparently...

But I'm still stuck for ideas. I quite like the Seat Arosa, but not sure if it's an 'ideal first car'...

Ilora x
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    My first legal car was a 205gt and it was fucking excellent.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My first car was a D reg renault 5 :D haha
  • Options
    My first was a geo metro. Only a year old, as it was my brothers before.
    However it did not stand up to the fire hydrant test.
  • Options
    My first car is still my present car, 206 gti 180, soooo much fun.

Tesco wouldnt even insure me on it right enough :yeees:
  • Options
    when i was learning to drive i had an old volkswagon golf :) nippy little thing even though it was very old!! dont think the insurance was that much either really.. although it was my dad who payed for it - not me :D
  • Options
    i had a citroen saxo :)
  • Options
    Vauxhall Corsa's are good first time cars, they are in group 1 or 2, a friend of mine works in insurance.
  • Options
    I'm buying my first car next month... most likely a Ford KA. Small, cute, not too old but old enough, insurance group 1/2..... and diamond quoted me and my boyfriend to be in sured on it (we're both 17) for £700. So not all bad :)
  • Options
    1989 "F" reg ford fiesta. Still driving it infact. Wish i wasn't though ;)
  • Options
    Mine was an old Nova. Did the job. got a Civic now. Very good cars but expensive to insure.
  • Options
    my first car was an elderly 1.0l 106. i miss it, sometimes.

it was pretty knacked, but it was a great car to learn in. these newer cars are so quiet you can do 50 in 3rd gear and not really notice. in mine, the very second you went into the wrong gear, you knew about it. i also bounced off a couple of things, and scuffed it up a little, and didn't have to bother to touch up the paint cause if anything, it improved the look.

i'm now driving a P reg fiesta, and i think that would be a pretty good leaner's car too :heart:
  • Options
    Well how much money is not much money kinda thing, are we talking £200 or £600 or what?

Fiesta's are dirt cheap to insure my friends is £600 a year fully comp, and there is always loads of fiesta's for sale at varying price ranges.
  • Options
    VWs are pretty good, I've got a Polo and it's great, although it has broken down once or twice sadly...

Most people I know seem to have VW Polos/Golfs, Nissan Micras, Ford Kas or Peugeot 206s etc.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Mine was an old Nova.
    Mine too :yes:

It was only one year younger than me!
  • Options
    id recommend a golf, polo or corsa for cheap insurance! also, diesel cars are alot cheaper to insure.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Well how much money is not much money kinda thing, are we talking £200 or £600 or what?

Fiesta's are dirt cheap to insure my friends is £600 a year fully comp, and there is always loads of fiesta's for sale at varying price ranges.
    My balance has just hit £1k mark...

So I'm looking to have at least double that to buy a car and tax/mot/insure it...

Ilora x
  • Options
    My balance has just hit £1k mark...

So I'm looking to have at least double that to buy a car and tax/mot/insure it...

Ilora x

well thats a fair amount, and you can pay your insurance monthly so when your wages go in it comes out kidna thing.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    well thats a fair amount, and you can pay your insurance monthly so when your wages go in it comes out kidna thing.
    I'd rather pay in a lump sum, rather than installments really....

Ilora x
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I can get the same insurance cost for either:
    1)An old Ford Fiesta mk3
    2)Entry level 1.6 Nissan Bluebird
    3)Entry level 1.6 Capri

so either two or three, methinks! :p
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    1)An old Ford Fiesta mk3
    3)Entry level 1.6 Capri

Do you know what a Nissan Bluebird is? :eek2:

Fiestas, Corsas, Micras, Polos, and the little French ones are all cheap. Get a good one for a grand and the other 1000 will cover a year's insurance and tax etc. It's cheaper to pay the insurance in a lump sum too. Get your parents as named drivers for a cheaper quote and try all the major insurers.
  • Options
    I'm looking for a car with the cheapest insurance/tax etc... any ideas? Any recommendations? I was thinking an older Renault Clio or something...?

Ilora x

Try Parkers for lots of car info (insurance groups, owners reviews etc.)

I've got a 1995 N reg 1.2 Clio which cost £1k to buy about £900ish TPFT to insure & £60 something for 6 months tax.

It's a piece of pish to drive & quite nippy the only minor problem is the lack of PAS steering but I think it's quite good because you have more feel in the steering & what's going on with the front wheels.

It did look like this:

Play2.jpg

After a little incident:blush:

Clicky
    My first car is still my present car, 206 gti 180, soooo much fun.

Tesco wouldnt even insure me on it right enough :yeees:

Nice very nice :thumb: Clicky

What colour is it?
  • Options
    My current (and first ever) car is a Seat Arosa which I love, and I think it's a good learner/first car. My Aunt has one as well which has at least five years on mine, and despite a minor problem with the steering (which, apparently was easily sorted) it's still going strong.

I've done quite a lot of driving in my parents' Golf though, and I really like them. Really like VWs in general, I guess.
  • Options
    Seat Arosa = VW Lupo.
  • Options
    :yes: Very verrry similar, I agree.
  • Options
    Same car different badge. Like the Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra triplets.

I only mention it because you can get the same car for a lot cheaper if you ignore the badge. Like the Mondeo and the little Jag.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    1)An old Ford Fiesta mk3
    3)Entry level 1.6 Capri

Bluebirds look jank, but they're very reliable.
    Capris look the business but are a cunt to drive despite the real wheel drive.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Right, I'm in the midst of learning to drive and have been told by my instructor that I should be thinking about getting a little run around to practise in etc.

So, I've been saving since I was a tween, but haven't actually got that much money in my 'car fund'. So, I'm looking for a car with the cheapest insurance/tax etc... any ideas? Any recommendations? I was thinking an older Renault Clio or something...?

Ilora x

if you get ones of these you'll never have to pay any road tax .. lol

45rally11.jpg