Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Vista thread...

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Nope, no one in my family does LOL:crying:
    Sad because I insulted you or because you'd like it if they did? :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No Comment.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Don't you want the new Flip 3D?
    Flip through your applactions quickly and easy with Windows Areo - Don't you want the real deal instead of those XP Themes!

And there sir, you have it!

The ONLY FUCKING THING Vista does that XP can't with a few, shall we say, "mods". :D And DX10. Which we won't be fully using for say... 3 years?

Plus add the downsides: The stupid fucknig security that doesn't protect you, but will annoy you. ALOT. "YOU OPENED C: OMG ARE YOU SURE ITS DANGEROUS!?!!!!?>!>!!>!" and for Every. Fucking. Folder. You. Open.

Plus the extreme use of system resources. The lag. The un-compatibility. The stupidly set up properties of files so you have to change about 900 settings to open them, because they set it so only admin can. You can't change a fucking single thing without a security warning in your face.

Gah.

Plus, the bugs, glitches, holes in security, price, and so forth. Also, it's made by MS. Says it all. I might wait until it gets to the equivilent of SP2 on XP before it now, if I can.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Plus add the downsides: The stupid fucknig security that doesn't protect you, but will annoy you. ALOT. "YOU OPENED C: OMG ARE YOU SURE ITS DANGEROUS!?!!!!?>!>!!>!" and for Every. Fucking. Folder. You. Open.

You can turn that off with a click of a button - Like i've done :)
    Plus the extreme use of system resources. The lag.

I'm fine flipping through things and im running at a lovely speed!
    Plus, the bugs, glitches,

Nothing is perfect.:)
  • Options
    CoolMe, read the benchmark.
  • Options
    Read the who?
  • Options
    the link i posted, vista is not as quick as xp.
  • Options
    Flip through your applactions quickly and easy with Windows Areo

exposé is better.
  • Options
    That does look very good - But i like my Flip 3D :angel:
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    the link i posted, vista is not as quick as xp.

And XP isnt as fast as 2000...

Upgrading to Vista is a choice, most people using Windows will eventually - or migrate to linux. I've done it purely because I do want the new features now even if they're half baked. I'm not worried about FPS on my dual core monster rig, because it will change it from 100 to 90 or something equally inneffectual.

Like the cartoon, it's just a new OS, it's not the most amazing thing in the world ever, but then again why are people so uptight about how 'rubbish' it is. Mac OS X has it's advantages and disadvantages, same for free linux distros, same for Win XP and Vista.

It's a choice and Vista is to be honest the most advanced OS around - it might not be the best for certain uses but it did have the best software engineers in the world working on it for five years. I'm excited about trying it out, but as I said it's a choice for everyone to make. Coolme is happy with it, but I know people who still use windows 98se because it doesn't use as many resources as XP.

I don't get all the fuss, I'm not picking on those in this thread, it's every forum I go on, everyone is saying how 'shit' it is, or raving about it. But like, you don't hear people going on about 'how fucking shit is that new xxx'.

I in general get excited about new software and technology, new features. I was peeing myself with excitement at the new mandriva distros (until I used them and couldn't get my graphics card to work correctly, linux doesn't like ATI :(), I spend my time reading articles about new 3D tvs (yet nihilistcmadman has already invented it) and such. Even with flaws, Vista is probably the most polished application of a fair few new technological advances, it is more advanced than XP etc.

It's down to choice at the end of the day, and people have their own reasons, mine is simply that Vista 'excites' me :p. Most people who've looked at Vista and tried it do like it, but that's just most people. Like noog, he's used it but prefers OS X. His choice...
  • Options
    I don't get it. It's a fucking operating system. You click on things to open programs that actually have a function. How the hell can that be exciting? If it does what you want without crashing all the time, then that's all you really need.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Like the cartoon, it's just a new OS, it's not the most amazing thing in the world ever, but then again why are people so uptight about how 'rubbish' it is. Mac OS X has it's advantages and disadvantages, same for free linux distros, same for Win XP

Very well said!!!
    Coolme is happy with it

I bloody well am :)
    I in general get excited about new software and technology, new features. I was peeing myself with excitement

I do too like new stuff i.e Vista! thats why im making such a big thing about it because at the moment its the biggest thing around and like ShyBoy has said its the most advanced thing around right now - And YES it does have flaws nothing is perfect.
    It's down to choice at the end of the day, and people have their own reasons, mine is simply that Vista 'excites' me . Most people who've looked at Vista and tried it do like it, but that's just most people. Like noog, he's used it but prefers OS X. His choice...

Bravo!:thumb:

EDIT:
    I don't get it. It's a fucking operating system. You click on things to open programs that actually have a function. How the hell can that be exciting? If it does what you want without crashing all the time, then that's all you really need.

Nothings perfectttt

And ShyBoy if you want to take a look at this link, http://tech.msn.com/microsoft/article.aspx?cp-documentid=2664459&wa=wsignin1.0

Im sure it will excite you even more. :)
  • Options

That's your opinion, which you're more than entitled to. But I don't see why I have to justify that I find techbits exciting. Whether it's an operating system or whatever. There's a distinct difference between need and want, I don't think anyone needs 99% of the stuff we have these days.

If you can't understand that people might be interested in different things to you, that's unfortunately your problem. I find football incredibly boring, but I don't say that it's just a stupid sport and why the hell anyone would pay £100 (guess?) for a new kit every year - everyone's different really, and if it makes that person go all 'wee' cos it's cool, then it's worth the money to them, and no amount of saying 'its a shit looking kit' is going to make a difference, because they've got different reasons for buying it.

Vista, as an informed decision, doesn't make so much sense. It costs a lot, and linux is free which with a bit of work can get it to do what you want except for the odd few things (games etc.). But when buying clothes people don't tend to buy the ones that 'just keep them warm'. Call it a fashion statement or just something that looks nice - a fair amount of people are going to buy Vista Ultimate just because of the bonus features they'll never use.

And coolme - take it easy a bit ;) I can guess you're also excited by it, but you might go on a bit too much at times. Do what I do and join up on some techy forums where everyone is discussing it...
  • Options
    And coolme - take it easy a bit ;) I can guess you're also excited by it, but you might go on a bit too much at times. Do what I do and join up on some techy forums where everyone is discussing it...

Hmm ill see what i can do - Not my problem if you lot aint' upgraded yet - Its the same with Windows XP You get lots of threads about them, dont see me complaining because im using the latest one:thumb:
    Btw, what "techy" forums?
    if it makes that person go all 'wee'

weeee
  • Options
    Hmm ill see what i can do - Not my problem if you lot aint' upgraded yet - Its the same with Windows XP You get lots of threads about them, dont see me complaining because im using the latest one:thumb:
    Btw, what "techy" forums?

None in particular, there are quite a few that I join up just to post the odd comment, none religiously. I just find people are more interested in talking about specific things like Vista than on here which I see is more a 'general all purpose' forum.
  • Options
    None in particular, there are quite a few that I join up just to post the odd comment, none religiously. I just find people are more interested in talking about specific things like Vista than on here which I see is more a 'general all purpose' forum.

True and the fact that people just lable vista. "oh its crap"

I said to my sister - Why don't you get vista she goes to me "oh its Shit" and i go how can you say that you have NEVER used it and never interacted with the interface.

She shut right up.
  • Options
    The fact remains that XP is better than vista, at this current point in time.

Also, XP was better than 2000 , than vista was to XP , at their times of release.

I jumped on XP , had all the beta discs sent to me, had the rtm gold version and all the retail versions, absoloutely loved it. for vista i've only tried out a few of the discs, and the rtm, and it simply doesn't excite me.

And i consider myself someone who likes to be at the bleeding edge when it comes to software.

hmf :P

os x is better
  • Options
    I've used some form of mac OS (it was on an apple anyway) and couldn't get the hang of it. But I can't say whether I'd prefer it long term either. Do they have a right mouse button yet?
  • Options
    Do they have a right mouse button yet?

They don't?
  • Options
    You know you want vista! Why do i use this line all the time?

Flip through your applactions quickly and easy with Windows Areo - Don't you want the real deal instead of those XP Themes!

Its much better then it was in the beta testing! So jump on the bus and join windows vista:heart:
    If that dont work ill hold a gun to your head;)

what version are you thinking of?

All my applications are visible all the time, as I have a lovely big monitor running at 1600x1200. Besides, I have a GF4 Ti4200 and can't justify buying a new video card just for an OS.

All I do is watch films, play music, and do web-based stuff. Rarely play a little Armagetron.

So, come on - why should I 'upgrade' to Vista? What could possibly persuade me to part with money for the latest and greatest from Microsoft? :)
  • Options
    So, come on - why should I 'upgrade' to Vista? What could possibly persuade me to part with money for the latest and greatest from Microsoft? :)

Well i shall quote your stuff and tell you!
    All I do is watch films, play music, and do web-based stuff. Rarely play a little Armagetron.

This is a Prime example of using the new Media Center that comes with Windows Vista
    I have a lovely big monitor running at 1600x1200.

Even better to see all your applactions flipping through using Flip 3D

Summary:

Vista is the next generation OS, the most advanced on the market right now, with so many new features that your be dieing to try and sooner or later you will upgrade either via a new PC - Maybe a friend will lend you a copy? But sooner or later you will upgrade.

So why not give it ago? I can recommend you a really good site that is legit and nicely priced.

Wether you want 32bit or 64bit - Vista is for you.:D
  • Options

This is a Prime example of using the new Media Center that comes with Windows Vista

Summary:

Vista is the next generation OS, the most advanced on the market right now, with so many new features that your be dieing to try and sooner or later you will upgrade either via a new PC - Maybe a friend will lend you a copy? But sooner or later you will upgrade.

So why not give it ago? I can recommend you a really good site that is legit and nicely priced.

He uses - he understands linux. I dont think youll be converting him anytime soon :p.
  • Options

Woo! :D

Why? I like Amarok and Kaffeine, and I'm not crippled by any DRM nonsense. I also plan on slapping a 250gb hard drive into my xBox and installing XBMC on it.

But why? I can see all my applications on my desktop, and on my taskbar. I just click on the application, and it comes into focus. Why would I need to do all this in 3D, when it already works perfectly?
    Summary:

Hang on - you've not given me any reason to 'upgrade'. My current system:-

--Supports highly-secure filesystem encryption, meaning I have little chance of being crushed for my music collection
    --Allows me to update and upgrade each and every application installed, at the click of a single button
    --Is highly stable, going for well over a month without requiring a reboot(and even then, it's only because I've either upgraded the kernel or need to mess around physically with the computer)
    --Has heaps of free support available
    --Will be freely upgradeable for a very, very long time
    --Doesn't suffer from pop-ups, trojans, or viruses(at least, nothing worth mentioning)
    --Doesn't suffer from disk fragmentation
    --Has superb backup facilities - my machine does an incremental backup each day, so I can roll-back to any period I want
    --Doesn't require any fancy hardware. It'll always run better with faster/more, but it's perfectly happy with my Athlon 1700+, old video card and 512mb of RAM.

So, why would I possibly want to upgrade? :) There is a good reason why I no longer use MS operating systems, despite being given them legally, and for zero cost...
  • Options
    oh bugger off:) In a kind way.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
  • Options
    oh bugger off:) In a kind way.

Just because I'm right :p.
  • Options
    Yer, yer, cool. But how long until service pack 10x10^2000?

Which is when things start to work.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Right. You go on about Flip 3D.

Tell me what it does that I will find at all useful that Alt-Tab currently doesn't do?

So it shows me a little tumbnail preview right? And how is that better than Alt-Tab? Say I am alt-tabbing froma game - I don't want a tumbnail. That'd generate lag and take an age. I can currently alt-tab fine without it.

I want a smooth running OS that uses not too many resources so is good for Gaming. In all honestly, XP is probably more than I want. But it can run on a P1, so I don't care that much about resources.

Vista wouldn't. Vista wouldn't run on a P3 really.
  • Options

Summary:

But it doesn't contain anything revolutionary though does it. Vista isn't going to change the way we work on computers.
  • Options
    Right. You go on about Flip 3D.

Tell me what it does that I will find at all useful that Alt-Tab currently doesn't do?

So it shows me a little tumbnail preview right? And how is that better than Alt-Tab? Say I am alt-tabbing froma game - I don't want a tumbnail. That'd generate lag and take an age. I can currently alt-tab fine without it.

I want a smooth running OS that uses not too many resources so is good for Gaming. In all honestly, XP is probably more than I want. But it can run on a P1, so I don't care that much about resources.

Vista wouldn't. Vista wouldn't run on a P3 really.

Just cos you've a shit PC mate :p you need dual core! Vista has scheduling or something to make better use of two or more cores.

But in reality, nobody needs vista as I stated some pages back :). CoolMe is just on a high...