Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Annoys You About The UK?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Mountains? Bit of an exaggeration, surely?
    No it is not.

Oh yes the weather too.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    No it is not. Oh yes the weather too.
    So you believe that millions of asylum seekers and illegal immigrants are in the country? I know that this government doesn't have much control on immigration at the moment, but even that seems extreme.

You can't really do much about the weather, though. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    So you believe that millions of asylum seekers and illegal immigrants are in the country? I know that this government doesn't have much control on immigration at the moment, but even that seems extreme.

You can't really do much about the weather, though. :p
    Hundreds of thousands at least are on the streets and the government does nothing - that makes me angry!
  • Options
    He wasn't banned for racism.

To me, Luke sounds scared of what he doesn't know and doesn't understand. He sounds like he tries hard to find out more, but his sources are either unwise choices, with a great deal of hyperbole and scaremongering, or over his head and dismissive. He sounds like he tries very hard to be tolerant, which is in my experience against human nature, people are in general intolerant. We can't hate blacks, so we hate gays, we can't hate gays so we hate emos, or not, we bully, and torment and are generally more than a little bit nasty to each other. Luke is just like everyone else, but he's never said anything directly prejudice, but he reveals an underlying discomfort or unease, and a dislike for people who are perceived to be undermining his security.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

To me, Luke sounds scared of what he doesn't know and doesn't understand. He sounds like he tries hard to find out more, but his sources are either unwise choices, with a great deal of hyperbole and scaremongering, or over his head and dismissive. He sounds like he tries very hard to be tolerant, which is in my experience against human nature, people are in general intolerant. We can't hate blacks, so we hate gays, we can't hate gays so we hate emos, or not, we bully, and torment and are generally more than a little bit nasty to each other. Luke is just like everyone else, but he's never said anything directly prejudice, but he reveals an underlying discomfort or unease, and a dislike for people who are perceived to be undermining his security.
    nice way of putting it but it still boils down to the same thing.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Thanks, explains things well.
  • Options
    nice way of putting it but it still boils down to the same thing.

No, it doesn't, actually.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Again, what are you talking about?.
    He might be referring to your constant, out-of-the-BNP-manifesto lies and bullshit about this country being swamped by illegal immigrants and asylum seekers and blah blah blah.

Just a guess...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    To me, Luke sounds scared of what he doesn't know and doesn't understand. He sounds like he tries hard to find out more, but his sources are either unwise choices, with a great deal of hyperbole and scaremongering, or over his head and dismissive.
    luke88 wrote:
    Thanks, explains things well.

so you're admitting you don't know and understand an awful lot (judging from the undertone of your posts) , that you get your information and ideas from bad sources, and that you dismiss anything too intellectual.....? so then how exactly can anyone take your posts seriously?....not that i do mind, i'm just saying from a neutral's pov....
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    He might be referring to your constant, out-of-the-BNP-manifesto lies and bullshit about this country being swamped by illegal immigrants and asylum seekers and blah blah blah.

Just a guess...
    Wrong, wrong and wrong! Just completely wrong, as usual.
  • Options
    so you're admitting you don't know and understand an awful lot (judging from the undertone of your posts) , that you get your information and ideas from bad sources, and that you dismiss anything too intellectual.....? so then how exactly can anyone take your posts seriously?....not that i do mind, i'm just saying from a neutral's pov....
    What I'm saying is, I do not know an awful lot, but then again I do not make out I know a lot too.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    What I'm saying is, I do not know an awful lot, but then again I do not make out I know a lot too.

noone on here claims to know everything but you do make your statements and assumptions with an air of certainty for someone who doesn't know much (you said that not me), maybe if you were more open minded and less dismissive of people's views that disagree with what you read in the daily mail and such like you might learn something......
  • Options
    noone on here claims to know everything but you do make your statements and assumptions with an air of certainty for someone who doesn't know much, maybe if you were more open minded and less dismissive of people's views that disagree with what you read in the daily mail and such like you might learn something......
    Open minded... what do you mean by this?

I only debate in something that I feel I know quite a fair bit and I read other peoples posts, argue my case, learn to debate better and of course learn all sorts of sides to a story.

I feel that you'll all stop going on the day I start to agree with you, I am sorry to disappoint, I have my own personal opinion. Accept it.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Open minded... what do you mean by this?

:lol: I rest my case.....look it up in the dictionary.
    I only debate in something that I feel I know quite a fair bit and I read other peoples posts, argue my case, learn to debate better and of course learn all sorts of sides to a story

well you talk about immigrants and asylum seekers an awful lot so what are you basing your ideas on? where are you getting your information from and what makes you believe the sources you read?
    I feel that you'll all stop going on the day I start to agree with you, I am sorry to disappoint, I have my own personal opinion. Accept it.

I think that's the problem though, it seems like you don't have your own personal opinion you're just regurgitating what you've read somewhere without any kind of critical analysis.......i'm not asking you to agree with me just look at the alternatives before you make up your mind.......for instance give me 3 reasons why asylum seekers and immigrants benefit this country......? i'm betting that's not something you'll find in the daily mail.......
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Wrong, wrong and wrong! Just completely wrong, as usual.
    You're the one who's wrong, making up stuff and parroting the lies of the right wing tabloid press without so much as giving it a second thought.
  • Options
    :lol: I rest my case.....look it up in the dictionary.
    I know the dictionary meaning, open minded in what context?

well you talk about immigrants and asylum seekers an awful lot so what are you basing your ideas on? where are you getting your information from and what makes you believe the sources you read?
    I can talk about what I like if you have a problem with it then don't read my posts.
    I base my ideas on my own perosnal experience, newspapers, the internet, mainly the latter.

Not all this again... this is stupid. Where do you get your ideas from? Do you make them up in the drawing board? Come on move bloody on!
    I think that's the problem though, it seems like you don't have your own personal opinion you're just regurgitating what you've read somewhere without any kind of critical analysis.......i'm not asking you to agree with me just look at the alternatives before you make up your mind.......for instance give me 3 reasons how asylum seekers and immigrants benefit this country......? i'm betting that's not something you'll find in the daily mail.......
    Again! :rolleyes:

I'm not answering any of this, I've done it time and time again.

Asylum seekers and immigrants can benefit from this country...
    Better job prospects
    More money
    Better life for them
    All are perfectly positive reasons. I bet you didn'tt think I would say that?

It's about time people like YOU and others would actually read what I say instead of assuming I am being racist when there is no racism there.

I am critical of asylum and immigration, a hell of a lot of people are, not on this board mind but in the general public they are. Want proof?

The rise of the BNP.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You're the one who's wrong, making up stuff and parroting the lies of the right wing tabloid press without so much as giving it a second thought.
    You parrot the left wing press.

Lets play punch and judy now eh.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Asylum seekers and immigrants can benefit from this country...

Better job prospects
    More money
    Better life for them
    All are perfectly positive reasons. I bet you didn'tt think I would say that?

That's not what I asked you, I asked you how do they benefit the UK, not benefit from the UK.......
    It's about time people like YOU and others would actually read what I say instead of assuming I am being racist when there is no racism there.

i never said you were mate.
    I am critical of asylum and immigration, a hell of a lot of people are, not on this board mind but in the general public they are. Want proof?

The rise of the BNP.

i'd say rupert murdoch's crappy tabloids are more responsible for the public's general lack of understanding, which subsequently leads to the narrow-minded views and racial tension......
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    You parrot the left wing press.

Lets play punch and judy now eh.
    Er, no I don't.

I (try at least) to quote facts, not rumours, lies and myths. Which is what you do with alarming frequency.
  • Options
    That's not what I asked you, I asked you how do they benefit the UK, not benefit from the UK.......
    They fill jobs we won't do
    i'd say rupert murdoch's crappy tabloids are more responsible for the public's general lack of understanding, which subsequently leads to the narrow-minded views and racial tension......
    Bloody Nasty People..... Who's headline was that?
    Wasn't the Guardians that's for sure!
  • Options
    For crying out loud. Yes, some of the people here use language that could have been lifted directly from the tabloids/broadsheets. Big deal. Tabloids are extremely powerful tools for conveying messages. Papers like The Sun and the Daily Mail are huge propaganda machines that work extremely well. The people who work for the newspapers know that language is a tool that can be used to mould opinion. It's something that most of us on the boards know as well.

A lot can be said about the people in P&D, but none of you are stupid. We're here to talk about each other's opinions, challenge opinions we do not agree with, and maybe get some people to change their minds. Language is merely one way of persuading people of the merits of a well-honed argument. It always has been that way, and always will be. So stop the pointless attacks already.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    They fill jobs we won't do

What, like Doctors and Nurses, Lawers and Entrepreneurs?
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    So the high prices you pay is all tax? Wow. I did not know that. Thank you! I don't know how much of the price I pay is tax. I suck like that.

Can you confirm or deny something? I've heard several times that you have to pay to even own a car. Not the cost of a car or the insurance or anything, but simply to own a car, and what you pay determines on something, engine size, something, I can't remember... and that, along with gas prices is why Eurpoe is filled with itty bitty cars.

We have itty bitty cars because we don't want to look like Cannon or Kojak. Don't worry, your petrol prices will come down now that you've nicked all the oil from Iraq & Libya, or am I being very old-fashioned? [ps - to confirm your suspicions, yes England is *DELETE* er, not terribly good. Almost as racist as USA & still in denial about USSR winning WW2. And don't knock 1966 - it's all we've got http://vbulletin.thesite.org/images/smilies/crying.gif
  • Options
    You do realise that this thread is about 5 years old?

ps I honestly cant tell if you are a little bit delusional, or sarcastic
This discussion has been closed.