Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Annoys You About The UK?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do I hate about the UK? The way we're just too happy to accept crap service in shops.

You know what it's like, you're queuing in the supermarket and the braindead plank on the till is taking his time regardless of the fact there are 10 of you in the line - and those around you tut and say "Aww, he looks really flushed, bless him".

Bollocks to 'bless him'!! He should f****** well learn to hurry up!!!!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Seriously, I get pissed off at the complacency, we are soooo fortunate.

I think that is missing the point. Yes, what we have is good. But if people wern't such tossers and got their arse into gear... we'd be leading the world again. We could very easily have the capacity to be so much better.

If we just... tried.
  • Options
    Ooh .. look who's found their way into Politics & Debate . . .

Apart from the fact our country is a fucking joke, has a shite education system, a shite health service, a justice system that favoures the criminal, and political partys that couldnt lead a blind man to a corner shop not a fucking lot.

Other countrys can speak two languages, English and their own. It's almost standard. In my opinion ours can't. We should be forced from day one of schooling to learn another language. We should be as multilingual as other nations. Other countrys make criminals feel shit scared of going to jail, ours country doesnt, Our country makes criminals laugh at the prospect of going to jail, if they even make it that far in the first place !

This country needs better leaders. People who can DO something for this country rather than do something for THEMSELVES.

That's the reality of it. Hell we even get told what to do by some european fucking parliament nowadays as if we cant do that for ourselves.

Our country was once worth something. I said was

Who's going to disagree with me then ? Who cares i'll never read this again anyway.
  • Options
    yes but MoK this isn't a thread on what you like about the uk, why don't you start one and i'll post in there as well........i thank god everyday (perhaps a slight exaageration) that im fortunate enough to live in a place where I can earn decent money have a decent education, the opportunity to make more out of my life than most people on the planet, and not get thrown in jail for calling tony b a wanker.....i was speaking to the locals in morocco recently and most of them will never get the chance to visit the UK or anywhere else for that matter, so in many respects I do appreciate I'm more fortunate than most........but I still don't take back anything I said in my previous post.
  • Options
    What things about this country really annoy you?

There are two things that get to me ..

1)

I really get annoyed at the way this country seems to cling on to any past success for an unlimited amount of time in liu of any recent achievment.

For example every single day recently I hear in the media the date "1966" mentioned- i.e. the last time England won the world cup - that was 40 years ago. I assume there's been roughly 9 or 10 world cups since where England hasn't won the world cup .. so why don't they mention that?

2)

This country's media penny pinch on any issue - most recently the £11 million it will cost to provide two jets for the government .. £11 million is a drop in the ocean compared to what this country is worth both in terms of money, GDP, power, miltary & influence on a world stage.

If a dedicated plane can get our officials to meet and communicate with more officials from other countries and even avoid one extra war then it's paid for it'self many times over.

So what's your beef with the UK?
    the fact canabis is illegal. ive just got back from the dam, what a really chilled out nice place it is. It just goes to show, legalising it can and does work.
    also, how the UK is a big rip off.
    In Amsterdam I went to a festivel and paid the same price for a ticket as i would here. Now, over there the toilets are cleaned regularly, they have so many more too (portaloos ast every tent, when here you have one lot and the queues are massive). The place was cleaner and muchbetter organised. and the food was delicous, unlike the greese buckets they serve over here.
    while over there I didnt break a single law, over here I break the law daily!
    one more thing, england seems to love to queue up for things!
  • Options

There are two things that get to me ..

1)

I really get annoyed at the way this country seems to cling on to any past success for an unlimited amount of time in liu of any recent achievment.

QUOTE]I actually like that! we are proud we have achieved something! i am in fact, mega patriotic and get passionate about the uk. so im bound to love celebrating things that have gone right for the country!
  • Options
    1. How everybody is so obsessed with football, I just don't get it. :eek2:
    It's a terratorial thing. Some countries have tribes and organised fights, we have footy!
  • Options
    What do I hate about the UK? The way we're just too happy to accept crap service in shops.

Trust me, UK service is on the whole leagues ahead of most of the world. Russian 'customer service' is fantastically poor. God damn it, I'm gonna miss this place.
  • Options
    Public schools and rugby playing rowing toffs.
  • Options
    Begs the question why you ever applied to Durham Uni really.h
  • Options
    How all the chip shops are being taken over by foreigners who don't get it quite as good as they used to be.
  • Options
    Begs the question why you ever applied to Durham Uni really.h

Sadly any decent university is full of spolit little rich kids who ponce about in their pink shirts and pashminas.

And much as I dislike poncy toff twats, I did want to go to a decent uni...
  • Options
    How do people on the dole afford all this cool stuff? Their on like 80 quid p/m ain't they??
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Wales and the Welsh.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yeah like you know us all....
  • Options
    Ive just been skim reading threw what people have been saying and i just wanted to ask what is it everyone is planning on doing to change what they dont like? its all good us discusing what we dont like but what are we going to do about it?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Think wrote:
    Ive just been skim reading threw what people have been saying and i just wanted to ask what is it everyone is planning on doing to change what they dont like? its all good us discusing what we dont like but what are we going to do about it?

Revolution.
  • Options
    When I am benevolent dictator of the world, I will round up all banking executives into a basement and have them begging to die.

Mark my words *cackles*
  • Options

The way the UK has grown to accept failure and embrace mediocrity.

We are a nation built on 15 minutes of fame, self-obsession and celebrity. People have no desire to achieve anything or better themselves when instead they can fork out £17.99 to read Jade Goody or Chantelle Whateverhernameis - two people that couldn't spell "autobiography" if you asked them - discuss their non-achievements in their 20-something year old life. People would rather be entertained by ITV's c-list celeb programming than anything else.

We're a nation where hard-working, intelligent people/couples are choosing not to have kids until later life, whereas chavs/neds are continuing their 14/15 year breeding cycle, bringing kids into failure; where signing on is a career choice rather than last-ditch desperation.

Scotland is utterly fucked as long as Joke McConnell and his RC Mafia Labour Party (as Henry McLeish put it) remain in charge. They're making central Scotland the arsehole of the UK, spiralling down in an almost daily decline (Thanks, Joke). It almost makes me envy the rest of the country.

The UK has given the world so much but we're no longer a nation of forward-thinkers. The masses won't give a toss as long as ITV keep producing prime-time entertainment with "celebrity" in the title and ex-Hollyoaks stars, Bobby Davro and Keith Chegwin as stars.

So, so sad.
  • Options
    The lack of English Parliament/Assembly.

Seems a little unfair when Wales has the Welsh Assembly, Scotland has the Scottish Parliament, NI has the option of the NI Assembly, yet England has nothing.
  • Options
    The things that I find annoying sometimes about this country are -

That it takes a football event for anyone to display pride in their country

That so many kids / teens have nothing better to do than be antiscoial shites.

That the parents of the antisocial shites do nothing about it

That we support the lazy and useless and scrounging people in life whilst beating down on anyone who's successful.

That the mainstream media encourages people to be stupid and idiotic

That the political climate is essentially unchangable at a local level in many places, where it could make any difference.

That we (as a country) do not look after our identity and borders in the same way as other countries.

That the country is so arrogant depite its real shiteness. ( See languages, sport, etc)

Other than that I'm sure it's great :)
  • Options
    The lack of English Parliament/Assembly.

Seems a little unfair when Wales has the Welsh Assembly, Scotland has the Scottish Parliament, NI has the option of the NI Assembly, yet England has nothing.

Yes you do, you have Westminster.

The Welsh Assembly is NOTHING like a government, more like your local social club.
  • Options
    yes but MoK this isn't a thread on what you like about the uk, why don't you start one and i'll post in there as well..

I think that you missed my point. Easy to do I know ;)

My point was that it's easy to be negative, it's easy to find fault and when you look at the list of things people are complaining about here, the majority are piffiling little problems - apart from the idiots who think that our education system (you know, the one which produced Stephen Hawking FFS) and our health systems (the one which recently kept a baby born at 26 weeks alive) are crap.

Which is why the thing which pisses me off about the country is our failure to recognise how good it actually is.
  • Options
    apart from the idiots who think that our education system (you know, the one which produced Stephen Hawking FFS)

haha. the economy produced a couple of really rich people. what about the idiots who moan about that system? oh wait a second...
  • Options
    Another thing that annoys me is rich kids who live at home with mummy and daddy or get their rent paid for them, who have never had to struggle, who look down on people on benefits or who live in council housing.

This girl at work said all people in council estates should be sterilised to stop them breeding, the nasty ignorant cow driving round in the car her parents bought her.

It's shit having to get benefits and even worse when there are people looking down on you and think you're a scrounger.
  • Options
    Yes you do, you have Westminster.

The Welsh Assembly is NOTHING like a government, more like your local social club.

The English have nothing that doesn't have everyone elses MP's voting in it. We don't have Westminster any more than the Welsh, Northern Irish or Scots have Westminster other than its geographical location.
  • Options
    Things that Stargalaxy hates about the United Kingdom:
    - Political parties that couldn't run a bath never mind a country.
    - The way taxpayers money is used to buy votes in large swathes of the UK.
    - The fact no government or organisation ever gets projects done in budget.
    - The highest teenage pregnancy rates in Europe.
    - The extortionate cost of transport and food.
    - The Guardian newspaper.
    - ITV. A once great channel that's gone down the toilet.
    - The celebrity culture.
  • Options
    The extreme small minority of lefties in this country getting their own way.
    A culture where victims are put second.
    Rape is considered less of a crime than one who doesn't pay their council tax.
    Clare Short, George galloway - what a pair.
    Majority view never heard.
    Free for all country except those who pay their taxes.
    Mountains of immigrants and asylum seekers that do not adopt to our culture.
    Taxed to death and nothing in return.
    It also does my head in that there are campanigns against people voting for the BNP but no campanign against RESPECT or communist parties alike - we're a democracy.
    MP's who never answer a question.
    OVER representation of Scotland and Wales, particularlly the former.

A hell of a lot more - but I'm still proud to be from here.
  • Options
    What really annoys me is the fact there seems to be no joie de vivre...
    This thread kind of proves it.

And the weather... reflects the general miserable mood of everyone being pissed off with so much about this country.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Mountains of immigrants and asylum seekers that do not adopt to our culture.
    Mountains? Bit of an exaggeration, surely?
This discussion has been closed.