Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Annoys You About The UK?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    when people cause trouble when their team doesn't win - i would call that taking it too seriously

hooli's cause trouble even if they do win, they've been around forever, and always will be. the majority of football hooligans are bad dudes anyway, its always gonna happen when you get 2 sets of bad dudes looking for a fight. having known quite a few hooligans in my time, some which are nice enough people, some of them dont even go to watch the games, just turn up for the rucks. if they did go to the games they'd get banned when they get caught anyway, its crime and punishment. the end. same as any crime.

some people would also view it as, 2 sets of people, wanting to fight each other, why not let em go at it? luckily we live in a society which wouldnt allow that tho.

VERY VERY VERY rarely would anyone who wasnt part of a firm would get attacked, and if they did, something would have sparked it.
  • Options
    To be fair, I hold a similar opinion about football. I just don't get it... I don't understand why it's so popular.

To be fair, last year when England played Wales it was horrible working the bars. Football fans I've encountered are nowhere near as nice as rugby fans, plus we had to have the riot police on standby to stop any fights. Sometimes when local teams play we have to shut shops and have bouncers on pubs.

To be fair in Kingston, my only complaints about the World Cup is people being fucking noisy all the time, three o'clock outside my flat singing "three lions on a shirt"... Or people making a racket about the football in pubs even though England played two days ago, then there's the litter.

Don't mind football, but it does have a masculine thug culture that is often associated with it. No idea what's so appealing about a bunch of boys kicking a leather ball on the grass though.
    :yes: plus football players are over hyped and overpaid
  • Options
    On the whole I think the UK is great but I guess there are a couple of things that get on my nerves.

There is too much emphasis on profit and too much power given to corporations and businesses. As an example, land that could be used for community projects, open spaces, etc is always given to property developers for yuppie flats or commercial buildings. Take that hideous government block on the Westminster roundabout, next to St. Thomas' Hospital in central London. The building is thankfully being put down. But what should we have instead, in the very centre of London and overlooking the Houses of Parliament and the river? Should we have open space, a fountain perhaps, since the roundabout will continue to be there and traffic will continue to go through? Hell no, let's sell the land to property developers and let them build a 10-floor hotel block that will once again block the light and the views.

Another thing that does my head in is that despite the new and much welcomed licensing laws there is still a stigma associated with alcohol here. In the Continent just about anyone who has a cafe, sandwich shop, even a kiosk in a park, can serve alcohol. As a result people can have a nice and refreshing beer anywhere they please: on their local park as their children play about; outdoors on a street cafe, taking a break during a spot of shopping... etc etc. Sadly there's too little of that here. Britain doesn't get that much worse weather than the likes of Paris or Amsterdam, and if they can get a cafe culture, why can't we?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    :yes: plus football players are over hyped and overpaid
    Yeah but they bring in money don't they?

I do thin they're over-played... Somefootballers I've met in Wrexham have been horrible, one tried to pick a fight with me because of the way I was dressed... I'm sure some are nice.

Still think people should get paid for how much they benefit society tho.
  • Options
    the fact that every spare bit of green space has a new block of flats built on it every time i turn my back.
    the fact that the towns are full of clone shops
    the fact that the towns are full of clone people
    The fact that its so expensive to buy decent quality organic food
  • Options
    Oh, and one more thing: tabloid newspapers. They should be closed down. All of them. And their editors and staff strung up from lampposts.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    BENEFIT SCROUNGERS.

people who are fit to work but wont because they are fucking lazy bastards who wont find jobs, there is work for everyone if they could be arsed. They never work a day in there life, spit out 6 kids, and they do exactly the same, never work, spit out some more kids. i think its about time we started culling these people.

or personal, when they go to collect their giro we should make them dig a massive hole and then fill it back in again before they get their money, then at least they know the morals of working.

Don't understand people like that...I also don't understand the girls who fall pregnant at the age of 14 (or a similar age) and get a flat and loads of benifits and stuff - it's like they're being rewarded for something...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Don't understand people like that...I also don't understand the girls who fall pregnant at the age of 14 (or a similar age) and get a flat and loads of benifits and stuff - it's like they're being rewarded for something...:rolleyes:

exactly!

ive worked full time for ages now and still struggling to get enough money together to get a place of my own, where as if i'd have never worked, and maybe got a kid, i'd have somewhere to live, and free money!

theres no justice.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    BENEFIT SCROUNGERS.

people who are fit to work but wont because they are fucking lazy bastards who wont find jobs, there is work for everyone if they could be arsed. They never work a day in there life, spit out 6 kids, and they do exactly the same, never work, spit out some more kids. i think its about time we started culling these people.

or personal, when they go to collect their giro we should make them dig a massive hole and then fill it back in again before they get their money, then at least they know the morals of working.
    Perhaps you should remember of the biggest scroungers of them all: heads of corporations such as British Home Stores or News International (there are many, many more) who dodge the country hundreds of millions of Pounds each through seedy tax avoidance schemes.

They are far more damaging and deprive the country of far more money than all the benefit cheats and scroungers put together.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    teenage girls tend to stay at home tbh, cause they get looked after, its usually young women in their 20s or late teens that get flats
  • Options
    1) Regional disparity.
    2) Nationalism (in particular parts of Wales).
    3) A sizable minority not being able to drink or use drugs responsibly.
    4) Neglect of railways outside of the South East of England.
    5) Anti-social kids.
    6) Obsession with property.
    7) Identikit town centres, housing estates and poor town planning.
    8) Dumbing down of the media and tabloid newspapers.
    9) Celebrity culture.
    10) Blame culture and ambulance chasers.
    11) The Jockracy/Scottish Raj at the heart of government.
    12) Development of a confrontation society (violence, needless shouting etc.)
    13) Txt spk/Newspeak (aka Fuckwit).
    14) Militant and inconsiderate drivers.
    15) Ignorace of other countries and cultures.
    16) Middle of the Road bands/music.
    17) Soap Operas.
    18) The Royal Family (more the hangers on than the immediate family although I'm not too fond of them either).
    19) Neglect of the elderly.
    20) Awful sex education/sexual awareness.
  • Options
    2. Scotland, Ireland and especialy Wales' issue with England... I mean get over it and stop being so childish.
    Agreed. We've been a union for 300 years. Its time to start acting like one.

I particularly hate the Scottish parliament. it cost £400 million and all they ever seem to do is try to ban things. (see foxhunting, smoking in pubs, swords, beer glasses...) On hte plus side I would praise them for the number of railway lines they are having rebuilt.

But on the whole I still think the UK is the best country in the world.
  • Options
    the benefit state and nanny state weve become
  • Options
    The weather. Or not so much the weather, but the way that extremes of weather cause the world to stop. If it snows, the country comes to a standstill. Schools close, public transport all but stops, roads get blocked.

If it's hot, say more than 25 degrees, no-one knows how to cope. Shops are either freezing cold due to air conditioning or boiling hot. I was on a train the other week and the air-con was on so high that it was actually raining in the carriage.

Winters that last 7 months, and having to pay complete rip off prices just to put the heating on.

TV licence. BBC paying 'celebs' pathetic wages.

Obsession with London in the media. Yes I realise national newspapers are based in London but am fed up of reading about it. They need more reporters based all around the country.

The cost of holidaying here. It's actually cheaper to go to Greece/Turkey/Wherever than have a week away by the seaside here. Hotels are a ridiculous rip off, as is eating out. It's a pity, because there are many nice places to visit around England. But the only way many people can access them is through camping/eating food from the supermarket.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    TV licence. BBC paying 'celebs' pathetic wages.

That and the upkeep of the largest and oldest broadcasting corporation in the world which broadcasts in almost every language on earth and is available in virtually every country in the world. Celeb's wages are a very small part of it.
  • Options
    That and the upkeep of the largest and oldest broadcasting corporation in the world which broadcasts in almost every language on earth and is available in virtually every country in the world. Celeb's wages are a very small part of it.

Well yes that too. Why should the British licence payer pay for the world service, BBC world, BBC America, not to mention digital TV which some of us can't even access.
  • Options
    I don't think they do. BBC World has adverts which would pay if not all at least a very sizeable chunk of its budget. I'd imagine the same is the case with BBC America and others.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    koe_182 wrote:
    hooli's cause trouble even if they do win, they've been around forever, and always will be.

:yes: I wrote a rant on this a few years ago.

has to be the worst photo of me eva!
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    :yes: I wrote a rant on this a few years ago.

has to be the worst photo of me eva!

interesting read that!

ive seen my fair share of football violence, happens quite regularly round these parts, its just part of a match day for me now, personally dont get involved.
  • Options
    Blatently unfair rip-off prices, *cough* iTunes *cough*

How we always look to America for the next big thing rather than more progressive countries (no offence Americans) then wonder why we have all the same problems.

How women are loved for being thick and taking their clothes off (see any girl who's ever become successful of reality TV) rather than for any discernable talent.

Tabloid newspapers

The weather

The trains

Eastenders
  • Options
    I hate the country, now that Top Of The Pops has been axed. Why would people do that?
  • Options
    Cynicism is confused with critical thinking.

and the Welsh :D
  • Options
    -the fact that it's only UK on paper (it's about time all 4 parts separated and got on with life)
    -most people here think they are better than anyone else in the world
    -education sucks donkey balls
    -inability of the UK to be efficient
    -"a man with no future always goes back to his past" stop it UK!!!!
    -the fact that most UK people don't consider themselves European
    -narrow-mindness of people here
    -widespread apathy
    -awful food
    -Eastenders and such programs
    -speed limits
    -no possibility of a revolutionary element/spirit in ANYone
    -north-south divide
    -beckham look-a-likes
    and so on.....
  • Options
    - The NHS - waiting lists.
    - The educational system - or lack of one.
    - Teen Mums/Dads and lack of education.
    - Petrol Prices.
    - The cost of Driving Lessons!!!
    - Fucking Football.
    - Public Transport.
    - The 60mph speed limit/Dual Carriageways/Roundabouts.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    -speed limits

So, you's rather have no speed limit and loads of accidnets and have people dying as a result?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    So, you's rather have no speed limit and loads of accidnets and have people dying as a result?:rolleyes:
    Sometimes it's the speed limit that causes accidents. :chin:
  • Options
    Looking at it from Ireland - not having the euro and having to exchange money to go north or to England.
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:
    Looking at it from Ireland - not having the euro and having to exchange money to go north or to England.

I'd also like this as well.
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:

It's much worse for us to go down south. Rip off hole! :p

There's no speed limit on many European main roads and there's fewer accidents. Speed limits are required in residential areas though.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    It's much worse for us to go down south. Rip off hole! :p

Don't think so anymore really - look at the price of petrol, cigarettes etc. always used to be cheaper in the North but no more.
This discussion has been closed.