Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Annoys You About The UK?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What things about this country really annoy you?

There are two things that get to me ..

1)

I really get annoyed at the way this country seems to cling on to any past success for an unlimited amount of time in liu of any recent achievment.

For example every single day recently I hear in the media the date "1966" mentioned- i.e. the last time England won the world cup - that was 40 years ago. I assume there's been roughly 9 or 10 world cups since where England hasn't won the world cup .. so why don't they mention that?

2)

This country's media penny pinch on any issue - most recently the £11 million it will cost to provide two jets for the government .. £11 million is a drop in the ocean compared to what this country is worth both in terms of money, GDP, power, miltary & influence on a world stage.

If a dedicated plane can get our officials to meet and communicate with more officials from other countries and even avoid one extra war then it's paid for it'self many times over.

So what's your beef with the UK?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Our ignorance. Nearly EVERY other country speaks one or more foreign languages fluently.

The UK - most of us have a basic or no grasp of French. Our education system is appaling in this respect.

Cetait non bon! (Yes, I suck at it too).
  • Options
    Tax!!!
  • Options
    I've not exactly been to the UK but I've been close and tbh, you have a real crappy selection of cereal :p

And your gas prices. You should not be paying what you do, or you should, I don't know. But in my mind its absoutly outrageous. And furthermore, people here shouldn't be bitching so much at paying $3 a gallon. Dear god, you people equal $6 a gallon. Thats not fair.

Its not really related to the topic, but from coming on here and reading so much, its shocking at how similar US and UK are. Speaking in the basic lifestyleness of it all. I see the... "you know your from the UK when..." and everybody laughs and agrees when the same exact thing used to be "you know your from the US when..." I always just assumed them to be alot different. When I've visited countries in Europe, they seemed alot different but I was nothing more than a tourist. When your a tourist everything seems different, but coming here and reading what people say and think I realize its not so much... except biscuits :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I've not exactly been to the UK but I've been close and tbh, you have a real crappy selection of cereal :p

And your gas prices. You should not be paying what you do, or you should, I don't know. But in my mind its absoutly outrageous. And furthermore, people here shouldn't be bitching so much at paying $3 a gallon. Dear god, you people equal $6 a gallon. Thats not fair.

Its not really related to the topic, but from coming on here and reading so much, its shocking at how similar US and UK are. Speaking in the basic lifestyleness of it all. I see the... "you know your from the UK when..." and everybody laughs and agrees when the same exact thing used to be "you know your from the US when..." I always just assumed them to be alot different. When I've visited countries in Europe, they seemed alot different but I was nothing more than a tourist. When your a tourist everything seems different, but coming here and reading what people say and think I realize its not so much.

Word. We aren't so different overall. We are probably more different to half the Europeans...

And yeah, petrol prices suck here. It's the most expensive part of owning a car in the UK really (apart from when you are 18 and insurance costs £9999999). I don't know how I'll afford petrol. Perhaps I'll siphon it from council vans.:chin:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

Your government subsides a good amount of your gas costs though.

Can't say there's nothing I hate too much about the UK, it's a nice enough place to live and I'm grateful, I suppose it's a bit grey and dull sometimes.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

The UK has the cheapest Petrol prices in Europe BEFORE tax

it's about 17p per litre (in 2002) BEFORE tax - add tax and it sells to the consumer at about 5 times this price - about 80%+ of the price of petrol we pay at the pumps is pure government tax

That's what annoys me - what other commodity in this world can be taxed so high?

If they used the tax to pay for alternatives to people running their own cars then fine - but they don't it goes into a big pot of money to be spent on whatever..
  • Options
    So the high prices you pay is all tax? Wow. I did not know that. Thank you! I don't know how much of the price I pay is tax. I suck like that.

Can you confirm or deny something? I've heard several times that you have to pay to even own a car. Not the cost of a car or the insurance or anything, but simply to own a car, and what you pay determines on something, engine size, something, I can't remember... and that, along with gas prices is why Eurpoe is filled with itty bitty cars.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    So the high prices you pay is all tax? Wow. I did not know that. Thank you! I don't know how much of the price I pay is tax. I suck like that.

Can you confirm or deny something? I've heard several times that you have to pay to even own a car. Not the cost of a car or the insurance or anything, but simply to own a car, and what you pay determines on something, engine size, something, I can't remember... and that, along with gas prices is why Eurpoe is filled with itty bitty cars.

You pay road tax each year and get a disc to display in your window to show you've paid it - you only however need to pay this if your car is used on the public roads, if not you must sign a paper to say it is off the road (e.g. in your garage, or on the drive way or maybe something used only on land you own like a farm) but even if you park it on the road infront of your house then you must pay the tax - road tax is probabaly the cheapest thing though you need for your car each year, mine is £110 a year, petrol and car insurance is much more then this each year.
  • Options
    Raod tax, thats it, I did hear right. Thank you for confirming :)
  • Options
    We also have to pay to own a T.V.
  • Options
    Like just to own it? Say you have a tv in the basement thats not even hooked up, you have to pay for it?

Ed was so pissed off at the TV bill last month. We have very basic tv. All the cable channels and HBO, nothing special... $70... 40ish pounds for one month. Every month. He got rid of HBO cuz starting July that costs an extra 20 (11 pounds)
  • Options
    No only when it's on, the money goes towards the BBC which is owned by the Government. It's stupid like, you used to be able to get away without paying for it but recently they've cracked down hard.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    No only when it's on, the money goes towards the BBC which is owned by the Government. It's stupid like, you used to be able to get away without paying for it but recently they've cracked down hard.

Well what do you get with it? Do you have to pay extra money for extra channels? That sounds like any other place. Unless its a sick amount of course.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Well what do you get with it? Do you have to pay extra money for extra channels? That sounds like any other place. Unless its a sick amount of course.

No that's just standard T.V. with 5 channels. It costs even extra for our verson of cable.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Rip off prices. Tax. Rude people.

The fact no company or organisation or government can't do anything without fucking up and overspending by around £10000000000000.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Rip off prices. Tax. Rude people.

The fact no company or organisation or government can't do anything without fucking up and overspending by around £10000000000000.
    :lol: :thumb:

True though, it seems.

And the fact people who are employed to do the work... like building stuff... rarely work.

In Prauge, they were working on this new building, a hotel I think, 24/7! Imagine if they asked UK workforces to do that... it took AGES just to get a portacabin put up at school. :impissed:
  • Options
    1. How everybody is so obsessed with football, I just don't get it. :eek2:

2. Scotland, Ireland and especialy Wales' issue with England... I mean get over it and stop being so childish.

3. How expensive it is here.

4. Celebrity obsession culture and Heat magazine.

5. How materialistic this culture is.
  • Options
    1. Apathy towards just about everything.
    2. The cult of celebrities and their obvious spin-offs (esp. Heat magazine)
    3. The Daily Mail
    4. The fact that politics in the UK is so damn boring and uninspiring
    5. That Southampton aren't in the Premiership
    6. Emo and emo kids
    7. Whiney indie-mulleted wankers
    8. That we're so completely secular and have lost all vestiges of faith in anything
    9. 90% of English girls being complete sluts
    10. We don't appreciate the fantastic cultural gifts we've given the world and certainly don't make any effort to preserve or promote them.
    11. That the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish don't realise they're actually English at heart (;))
    12. That I can't get a job for this summer
    13. That it's not winter and cold
    14. Tony Blair
    15. Bus fares
    16. Trying to find accomodation in Bristol for my final year

Sorry, rant over.
  • Options
    BENEFIT SCROUNGERS.

people who are fit to work but wont because they are fucking lazy bastards who wont find jobs, there is work for everyone if they could be arsed. They never work a day in there life, spit out 6 kids, and they do exactly the same, never work, spit out some more kids. i think its about time we started culling these people.

or personal, when they go to collect their giro we should make them dig a massive hole and then fill it back in again before they get their money, then at least they know the morals of working.
  • Options
    1. the way its run and the criminal justice system just sucks
    2. gang/knife/gun culture
    3. chavs
    4. that you're made to feel unsafe everywhere you go
    5. benefit scroungers
    6. obsession with football
    7. the irish/welsh/scotts hating us for no reason....or reasons that are 100s of years old and don't apply anymore - stop being so bitter and get over it!
    8. we get taxed to death
    9. the NHS has stupid waiting lists and seems to be falling apart
    10. binge drinking culture
  • Options
    hmmm i notice things like loving football and binge drinking being mentioned....

whats the matter with people loving football? nobody pushes anyone into loving football. surely its not a bad thing that people have things in common and love activities (and healthy ones at that).
    I personally love football, both playing and watching... but would never force anyone who didnt into doing anything to do with it.

Binge drinking is something manufactured by the press in this country if you ask me, people go out on a friday or saturday night and have a good time, so what? its usually because they have been working all week and thats the only free time they get to go out and drink socially. They say that people are consuming their weekly allowance in one go, this is because people dont drink during the week when they are working. Fuck what anyone says, i enjoy a good drink on a weekend.
  • Options
    the weather, i want warmer summers for longer and snow at Christmas.

i should be a politician, shouldnt I!
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    hmmm i notice things like loving football and binge drinking being mentioned....

whats the matter with people loving football? nobody pushes anyone into loving football. surely its not a bad thing that people have things in common and love activities (and healthy ones at that).
    I personally love football, both playing and watching... but would never force anyone who didnt into doing anything to do with it.

Binge drinking is something manufactured by the press in this country if you ask me, people go out on a friday or saturday night and have a good time, so what? its usually because they have been working all week and thats the only free time they get to go out and drink socially. They say that people are consuming their weekly allowance in one go, this is because people dont drink during the week when they are working. Fuck what anyone says, i enjoy a good drink on a weekend.
    because football is the only sport you really see talked about...people get fed up of hearing about it - and some people take it WAY too seriously
    binge drinking because it tends to spiral off into bigger problems - you don't need to get wasted to have a good time
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    because football is the only sport you really see talked about...people get fed up of hearing about it - and some people take it WAY too seriously
    binge drinking because it tends to spiral off into bigger problems - you don't need to get wasted to have a good time

disagree. Theres a lot worse things in the world than going out at the weekend and drinking 6 units and more (or what ever they class as binge drinking)

World Cup happens every four years, get over it. Most people love it, including me. Let us have our fun, and you have your fun at what ever you choose to do when matches are on. Take advanage of the shops being empty etc
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    disagree. Theres a lot worse things in the world than going out at the weekend and drinking 6 units and more (or what ever they class as binge drinking)

World Cup happens every four years, get over it. Most people love it, including me. Let us have our fun, and you have your fun at what ever you choose to do when matches are on. Take advanage of the shops being empty etc
    i don't mind the world cup/football whatever....it's the fact that sometimes it gets taken too seriously
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

Cricket, Rugby, Tennis, Motor Racing all get coverage too, its only the pure fact that football is the most watched sport in the world that it gets so much coverage. no-one is forcing you to watch or listen to it.

get over it.

I hate soaps, but they still come on tv, people are obsessed with them, but i dont see them as a problem with the UK.

as for binge drinking, what bigger problems do you talk about? if its violence, violent people get violent anyway, if you look at figures for arrests for drunken violence im sure you'll see repeated names coming up over and over, certainly do in my town.

you dont need to get wasted to have a good time, but it adds to the fun. you are only a child, you'll learn over the coming years im sure.
  • Options
    In what way is it taken too seriously?

Its all over the papers, radio, TV because there is a lot to talk about and large public interest.

People want England to win so they take it seriously simple as that
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    In what way is it taken too seriously?

Its all over the papers, radio, TV because there is a lot to talk about and large public interest.

People want England to win so they take it seriously simple as that
    when people cause trouble when their team doesn't win - i would call that taking it too seriously
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    when people cause trouble when their team doesn't win - i would call that taking it too seriously

trouble at football rarely happens at football matches anymore in the UK. Most of people involved are'nt even football fans they just see it as an oppotunity for violence.
  • Options
    olaola wrote:

I hold a similar opinion about football to Ballerina. I just don't get it... I don't understand why it's so popular.

To be fair, last year when England played Wales it was horrible working the bars. Football fans I've encountered are nowhere near as nice as rugby fans, plus we had to have the riot police on standby to stop any fights. Sometimes when local teams play we have to shut shops and have bouncers on pubs.

In Kingston, my only complaints about the World Cup is people being fucking noisy all the time, three o'clock outside my flat singing "three lions on a shirt"... Or people making a racket about the football in pubs even though England played two days ago, then there's the litter.

Don't mind football, but it does have a masculine thug culture that is often associated with it. No idea what's so appealing about a bunch of boys kicking a leather ball on the grass though.
This discussion has been closed.