Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Annoys You About The UK?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The UK train system and its prices
    the fact that at 16 you can have sex and buy knives but not vote and still be forced to pay adult prices for trains, cinemas, etc!
    our imperial history!
    the royal family!

but overall i love this place, i've got some of the most beautiful hills at my back door, the majority are nice people and the fact that this country is actually quite diverse geographically, personalities, rural/urban and local accents, (go somerset!) etc

see!
  • Options
    the fact that at 16 you can have sex and buy knives but not vote and still be forced to pay adult prices for trains, cinemas, etc!

You missed out drinking/buying alcohol.:p With buses (not sure if it's the same for trains) you pay full price once you're 14, which is rubbish if you can't really do anything else that an adult can do, tbh.
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:
    Don't think so anymore really - look at the price of petrol, cigarettes etc. always used to be cheaper in the North but no more.

Actually petrol was always cheaper down south, I live close to the border and that's where we nearly always go to get petrol.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    You missed out drinking/buying alcohol.:p With buses (not sure if it's the same for trains) you pay full price once you're 14, which is rubbish if you can't really do anything else that an adult can do, tbh.
    yup at 14 you have to buy an adult ticket and you cant get a young persons railcard till ur 16, so according to train companies at 15 ur an adult but not at 16!:banghead:
    PS alcohol wud be good
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Don't understand people like that...I also don't understand the girls who fall pregnant at the age of 14 (or a similar age) and get a flat and loads of benifits and stuff - it's like they're being rewarded for something...:rolleyes:

oh purlease. How much of a reward do you imagine a life of council housing and benefits would be? I doubt you'd want that for yourself and so how you can cll it a reward for someone else is a atd misguided... (not a dig at you personally, it's a common feeling of injustice).

I also think the cost of these teen mums is exagerated. Other teenagers go on to a free college and subsidised university education enabling then to choose a better life for themselves, followed by free NHS help when they discover that they want a baby and have aged past their peek fertility etc. I think the 'hatred' (probably too strong a word) for benefit teen moms and other 'scroungers' is missplaced and that the government really doesn't mind that people think their taxes are being abused in this way as it diverts attention away from other areas they be more efficient...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I also think the cost of these teen mums is exagerated. Other teenagers go on to a free college and subsidised university education enabling then to choose a better life for themselves

And in return they get decent jobs with decent wages, which pays for stuff like NHS, Police Service and other stuff. (So basically, they're being given money and have to pay it back in return)
  • Options
    Anbody ever thought that these "scroungers" may be battling an injury or mental illness? Or have hidden disabilities?

My Mum bought my brother and I up on benefits, was she a scrounging single mother or did our father leave us in the shit?

Anybody here ever been on the dole? It sucks...
  • Options
    we're not saying all people on benefits are scroungers, we're talking about the ones who can't be arsed to work

that annoys me about prices too...flight fares you have to pay adult from when you're 10! If they say you're not an adult till you're 18 then you shouldn't have to pay adult fares till then. It's a piss take...we're still in education, how are we supposed to afford adult fares? Tight fisted cunts.
  • Options
    yup at 14 you have to buy an adult ticket and you cant get a young persons railcard till ur 16, so according to train companies at 15 ur an adult but not at 16!
    Yeah, companies like you to be adults when it suits them, but soon change their mind when it means they might have to give you things. I remember I went on a holiday in those static caravan things, and anyone over 14 had to pay the full adult price, but then weren't allowed in the adult bar. Can't stand people who try to have it both ways.
  • Options
    The 'immigrants are stealing our jobs' mentality
  • Options
    what annoys me about the UK......umm

- tony blair and the hypocrisy of politics in general, i could be here all day but lets move on
    - the media
    - the same shops everywhere you go
    - 50 cent/j-lo wannabes everywhere in london, i just want to slap them and say 'i dont want to see your arse so pull your trousers up and take that stupid cap off, you're not a f'ing gangster, alright bluuuud?'
    - lack of respect amongst youth, kids needlessly f'ing and blinding on the bus and giving everyone else a headache need a good twatting
    - superficiality if that's a word, and how everyone is so caught up in themselves
    - narrow-mindedness, and there's a lot of it.......again not helped by the media (bloody asylum seekers)
    - the crap weather, although tis summer at last so i shan't moan
    - 'status' culture, and how everyone is judged by what they drive and what they do for a living, it's just lame.......
    - louts out on a friday night making it hard for normal people to just relax, because you have to be on your guard in case someone thinks your looking at them funny and wants to thump you....
    - drugs being illegal sucks
    - the way we're taxed to the grave, although tis the same in a lot of countries
    - the general americanisation of this country, people getting fatter, dumber, obsessing about celebrities and big brother and generally living pointless lives

ahem that'll do for now.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    we're not saying all people on benefits are scroungers, we're talking about the ones who can't be arsed to work

...the ones with personal problems, you mean.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

• Options
    Spliffie wrote:

But aren't some of them (not all, of course) just far oo lazy to get a job?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    thats what i mean
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

If someone's so lazy they live off the dole continuously (not fun) then i'd wager they have personal problems.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    flight fares you have to pay adult from when you're 10! If they say you're not an adult till you're 18 then you shouldn't have to pay adult fares till then. It's a piss take...we're still in education, how are we supposed to afford adult fares? Tight fisted cunts.

A kid takes up the same size seat as an adult, so why should the price not be the same? It's not as though anyone *needs* to go on a plane. And it's hardly likely that a 10 year old will be paying for their own flight.

Adult fares for 14 year olds on the bus are unfair though. Here it's free for under 16s, then if you are in college doing A Levels you get a 16-18 card so can still pay child prices till you finish education. And in London under 16s have free bus travel.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    A kid takes up the same size seat as an adult, so why should the price not be the same? It's not as though anyone *needs* to go on a plane. And it's hardly likely that a 10 year old will be paying for their own flight.

Adult fares for 14 year olds on the bus are unfair though. Here it's free for under 16s, then if you are in college doing A Levels you get a 16-18 card so can still pay child prices till you finish education. And in London under 16s have free bus travel.
    where i live you pay 1/2 when you're under 16 then have to pay full fare even when you're in education
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:

But in the eyes of the lsw, they're still children.
  • Options
    The plastic carrier bags EVERYWHERE.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    The plastic carrier bags EVERYWHERE.
    Agreed. Would it really be so bad if everyone had a reusable bag?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    But in the eyes of the lsw, they're still children.

What does the law have to do with it? They take up the same seat as an adult.

If their prices were cheaper, everyone else would have to subsidise the prices in their own ticket prices. I'm not willing to subsidise other peoples children.

Yes to plastic bags. And the way checkout people automatically start packing your stuff away in them and look at you like you're a freak when you say you don't want one.

I don't know what to do with all my plastic bags, I have a whole kitchen cabinet full of them.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Yes to plastic bags. And the way checkout people automatically start packing your stuff away in them and look at you like you're a freak when you say you don't want one.

I know. I had a run in with a very rude Asda checkout girl last night, in fact, who couldn't possibly fathom why I didn't want a carrier bag for three bottles of beer and a pizza. When I told her I could put them in my own bag she rolled her eyes and gave me a big fat "WHATever".

Then she started bitching at my boyfriend about it when he went through after me... so she wasn't happy when he didn't want a bag either. Shut down :lol:

The provision [or lack of] of cycle paths seriously annoys me too. I have to give them that they're trying, but when you spend time in certain countries on the continent it makes you realise how piss poor the efforts really are.
  • Options
    How could I forget? Fucking pigeons!!!!!:mad:
  • Options
    I know people who work and are also on the dole. "On the double" as you say, now that's manipulation of the system! :D
  • Options
    And people who are on the dole yet have all the latest electroics, designer clothes etc.

Me thinks there's something wrong there.
  • Options
    simply BIG BROTHER!
    it represents so much that is wrong with our country
    celebrity culture
    extreme vainity
    glossy magazines
    watching the shittest TV when there a whole world out there
    the fact that people only vote in tv shows not politics
    negative voting (not 100% sure) but dont you vote for who you want out
    people making a show of themselves for money
    peoples interest in odd and extreme people (hasnt one got terets and the several changed gender people) who are put in there so people can have a good stare
    people interest in others misery
    i cud go on but thats enough for now
  • Options
    And people who are on the dole yet have all the latest electroics, designer clothes etc.

Me thinks there's something wrong there.

Then you get the people who work their arses off and can't afford to buy the latest clothes & gadgets - to me that's very wrong. urely, they should get just enough to live on. (Food, water, electric and other bills)
  • Options
    My thinking exactly!

I'd like a widescreen flatscreen tv but I'm going to have to wait until I can afford it.
  • Options
    Oh come on, the dole pays fuck all. Sure it pays a bit more if you've got kids, but kids cost more.

How much is unemployment benefit for one person? 40 quid a week?
    It's not going to buy much.
This discussion has been closed.