Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should men be allowed to hit girls?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    there should not be any more stigma attached to hitting a woman than a man so on that level i think men should be able to hit women. Now i'm jsut gonna sit here and wait to be told i'm wrong and a moron...

anyway on to the rest of my post fighting/violence should not really take palce at all and there is a reason why it is illegal
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    i'm wrong and a moron

Agreed :yes: .

On a serious note, you can't reasonably treat a man hitting another man for something such as a verbal attack as the equal of a man hitting a women for the same reason. It's twisted logic.
  • Options
    hey dont get me wrong i dont think its ever acceptable to to sue violence but lets face it you are frowned on and prob wil lget in more trouble if you are a man and hity a women despite the fact that they may well ahve started it and provoked you. You wil lget in more trouble simply cause they are a female and that to me is wrong
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    hey dont get me wrong i dont think its ever acceptable to to sue violence but lets face it you are frowned on and prob wil lget in more trouble if you are a man and hity a women despite the fact that they may well ahve started it and provoked you. You wil lget in more trouble simply cause they are a female and that to me is wrong

Of course it's acceptable to use violence when provoked. It's part of growing up and a necessity of life.

If a guy is taking the piss and provoking you, he deserves to get bashed. Bashing women for the same thing is bang out of order. It's all related to evolutionary purpose, but that's another story.
  • Options
    But sometimes you have to. I myself know a little self defense but if a guy tried to rape me the first place I'd instinctively go for is his face. Restraining isn't always an option, especially if somebody's stronger than you.

if a guy tried to rape me i'd throw him to the ground and jump on his crotch repeatedly
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Of course it's acceptable to use violence when provoked. It's part of growing up and a necessity of life.

If a guy is taking the piss and provoking you, he deserves to get bashed. Bashing women for the same thing is bang out of order. It's all related to evolutionary purpose, but that's another story.

...what about if they look at you funny? :rolleyes:

If someone taking the piss you take the piss back you don't smack 'em!

Surely your mother went over this with you when you were 8?

If you or a friend is in physical danger then fair enough but otherwise there's no need unless your trying to show off and if your over the age of 16 thats just fucking sad!
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Bashing women for the same thing is bang out of order.

Why is it bang out of order? cause you say so?
  • Options
    Why is it bang out of order? cause you say so?

Why were the London bombings bang out of order? cause you say so?
  • Options
    men are quite competitive, it's about showing who's boss sometimes in a street fight, sometimes it's just pure evil and you get beat up for nothing but usually it's about power, gaining a reputation...it's not the same with girls, if a girl gives you shit you just give her shit back or laugh and walk away, you're not gaining anything by kicking the fuck out of a women
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    ...what about if they look at you funny? :rolleyes:

If someone taking the piss you take the piss back you don't smack 'em!

Surely your mother went over this with you when you were 8?

If you or a friend is in physical danger then fair enough but otherwise there's no need unless your trying to show off and if your over the age of 16 thats just fucking sad!

It depends on the situation. Personally I don't have a problem with people getting bashed for malicious behaviour, some people need kept in check.
  • Options
    My mum told me that one time she was really laying into my stepdad, insulting him and pushing him around, so he simply gave her a smack on the chin and she fell back onto her arse. She said she was so humiliated that he'd actually stuck up for himself, she never hit him again. She says she used to properly smack my dad (shes got a wild temper, but doesn't do much damage), and he used to just stand there with his arms across his face and wait for her to calm down.
  • Options
    its not just should a man be allowed to hit a woman.

it is should a human be allowed to hit another human.

it is wrong in my eyes.
  • Options
    its not just should a man be allowed to hit a woman.

it is should a human be allowed to hit another human.

it is wrong in my eyes.

in your opinion, how much of a role does social conditioning play in the fact that so many view hitting another human being wrong?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

You're a cock.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You're a cock.

He's right though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    He's right though.

As I’ve never sat in the pub and regaled tales with my thuggish mates about the guy I punched in the face last night, “cause he fought he woz well tasty", I’ve missed out on an important and necessary part of life have I?

Go tell it to Ghandi.
  • Options
    As I’ve never sat in the pub and regaled tales with my thuggish mates about the guy I punched in the face last night, “cause he fought he woz well tasty", I’ve missed out on an important and necessary part of life have I?

I think it's important to be able to stand up for yourself physically. It's a valuable skill.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think it's important to be able to stand up for yourself physically. It's a valuable skill.

Indeed it is.

There is a distinction between when you defend yourself and when you attack someone else though. You are never justified in starting a fight.
    Originally Posted by Spliffie

Every sensible adult knows that the initiation of force is always wrong.

I await your scenarios of in your face shouting and name-calling with baited breath.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Indeed it is.

There is a distinction between when you defend yourself and when you attack someone else though. You are never justified in starting a fight.

Every sensible adult knows that the initiation of force is always wrong.

I await your scenarios of in your face shouting and name-calling with baited breath.

Complete agreement.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    You are never justified in starting a fight.

My mates mother was once run down on purpose by a bloke who then left the car on top of her and ran away. My mate and his brother caught up with him and almost beat him to death. I think that was justified and so did the Crown Court.

If a man found out his child was being molested by some bloke next door I think he'd be justified in going round there and givign him a good kicking.

If I caught someone theiving from my house in the night I think I'd be justified to give him a bit of a kicking.

Do you disagree with any of those?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My mates mother was once run down on purpose by a bloke who then left the car on top of her and ran away. My mate and his brother caught up with him and almost beat him to death. I think that was justified and so did the Crown Court.

Nope. I said initiation of force mate. He started it.
    If a man found out his child was being molested by some bloke next door I think he'd be justified in going round there and givign him a good kicking.

Same again, defensive force to protect you and yours is fine IMHO. He started it.
    If I caught someone theiving from my house in the night I think I'd be justified to give him a bit of a kicking.

Removing him from your house would be fine by me, kicking his teeth in afterwards would be excessive. Again, he started it.

To put the shoe on the other foot, are you justified in entering some elses house? Are you justified in molesting other people daughters? Are you justified in running away from the scene of an accident when you have hurt someone?

Initiation is where it lies.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Initiation is where it lies.

So if you are provoked enough you are justified in using violence first?

If somebody spat in my face would I be justified in sparkign him out?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    So if you are provoked enough you are justified in using violence first?

Nope. Provocation isn't initiation.
    If somebody spat in my face would I be justified in sparkign him out?

As far as I am concerned that's initiation, not provocation.

I would go for them automatically because the blink that I would have to do would give them an opportunity to put a serious hurting on me. When I was younger and an idiot this was one of my favourite ways of starting -

I spit - they blink -I break their nose - I play football.

Vioence isn't the answer - I know cos I have tried it.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Nope. Provocation isn't initiation.

Of course it is.

If somebody molested my kid 3 years ago and I only just found out, I'd go round and kick the nonses head in. I initiated the violence yet he provoked me.
    klintock wrote:
    Vioence isn't the answer - I know cos I have tried it.

It can be - to say that it's not is to be ingnorant to some basic human instincts. Violence is an instict found throught the whole animal kingdom because it works.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Of course it is.

Why have different words for it then?

Nah, you are wrong about this.
    If somebody molested my kid 3 years ago and I only just found out, I'd go round and kick the nonses head in. I initiated the violence yet he provoked me.

No, he didn't provoke you, he initiated the use of force against you and yours. Pretty simple really. Provocation - stranger calling you names etc Initiation - someone hurting you or those in your care i.e. children.

Once your children become adults, they are responsible for looking out for themselves.
    It can be - to say that it's not is to be ingnorant to some basic human instincts. Violence is an instict found throught the whole animal kingdom because it works.

Yes, I think you will find on closer inspection that it's always at the most minimal level that can be done within nature for a really simple reason. The likelihood of self damage means that even hunting animals stay away from those likely to put up a decent fight.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Provocation - stranger calling you names

That's your interpretation. Look up provovation in the dictionary mate.
    Spliffe said that provocation is enough to justify violence and I still agree with that.

As for name calling. Say your kid was getting verbally bullied by another kid on a day to day basiss what would you advise your kid to do?
    Ignore it? Tell tales? Or smack the little fucker back?

I would choose the third option.

When I changed school I was picked on, and it wasn't somethign I coudl escape. My old man used to work away so all I could to is complain to my mother. She tried talking to teachers and other parents which only made thing worse. Eventually my old man came home and bassically told me to get one on his own and give him a good kicking, which I did. I got supspended, my old man backed me up though which he said he always would, and when I went back to school no more problems.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Spliffe said that provocation is enough to justify violence and I still agree with that.

I don't. That's life. You are wrong imo. As much as for anything else, because I can choose to be provoked by anything I like. If you can't control your emotions then it's your failing, not mine.
    As for name calling. Say your kid was getting verbally bullied by another kid on a day to day basiss what would you advise your kid to do?

Same as you. I specifically said ADULTS. Kids have to learn stuff like "violence doesn't work" through experience, adults should have more fucking sense.

When you say "picked on" do you mean violence was used against you? Or did the nasty people call you names? If it was violence you are a mug for waiting if it wasn't you are a mug for letting it get to you.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I don't. That's life. You are wrong imo. As much as for anything else, because I can choose to be provoked by anything I like. If you can't control your emotions then it's your failing, not mine.

That's simply because you think provocation is simply callign people names. Did you look it up in the dictionary?

I don't think my views on whats justifies violence are much different to yours to be honest.
    klintock wrote:
    Same as you. I specifically said ADULTS. Kids have to learn stuff like "violence doesn't work" through experience, adults should have more fucking sense.

eh? So you would advise your kid initiate violence dispite the fact that 'Adults should have more fuckign sense' and the fact that 'violence doesnt work'????
    klintock wrote:
    If it was violence you are a mug for waiting if it wasn't you are a mug for letting it get to you.

It wasn't violence and yes it did get to me, constant grief and verbal abuse will upset 9 year old kids believe it or not. Fucking idiot.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:provocation

Yes. Yes I did. So let me get this straight...the way to get people who are acting unfriendly towards you is to smash their faces in?
    I don't think my views on whats justifies violence are much different to yours to be honest.

I don't either. I just credit myself and others with more self control than you do to be fair. You probably think that other people cause you to feel certain things with words and gestures.
    eh? So you would advise your kid initiate violence dispite the fact that 'Adults should have more fuckign sense' and the fact that 'violence doesnt work'????

Yep. Got it in one. If he couldn't think of something likely to work first. You are talking about children imprisoned in ways that adults are not. If someone bullies you ate work, their are systems their to help you. You have freedom of movement. Surrounded by much stronger people and bars you are at a disadvantage and not free to walk away.
    It wasn't violence and yes it did get to me, constant grief and verbal abuse will upset 9 year old kids believe it or not. Fucking idiot.

Yes, and my point is that adults have more options than 9 year old kids and should know better.
  • Options
    Provocation isn't alwasy a verbal incitement which you think it is.
    klintock wrote:
    Yes, and my point is that adults have more options than 9 year old kids and should know better.

Still is a 9 year old a 'mug' for letting verbal abuse get to them?
    Weekender Offender