Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Royals Cost Britain £37m a Year

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    i was joking SG i knew rightly what you meant, i would rather neither tbh... and how would Chirac be locked up if he wasn't president, i'm not too clued up on French politics, tell me
    It's just to do with his somewhat murky past. An even better example is Italian president Silvio Berlusconi who recently had the law changed to give himself immunity from prosecution whilst he's in office. Can't imagine why. :yeees:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It's just to do with his somewhat murky past. An even better example is Italian president Silvio Berlusconi who recently had the law changed to give himself immunity from prosecution whilst he's in office. Can't imagine why. :yeees:

all politicians have a murky past, i was thinking more along the lines of chirac killing someone other than corruption or something stupid which is rife in all countries...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    all politicians have a murky past, i was thinking more along the lines of chirac killing someone other than corruption or something stupid which is rife in all countries...
    Chirac hasn't killed anyone, no. He's stabbed plenty of people in the back whilst in politics, but I suppose that doesn't count. I don't think there are any murderers in power. Unless you count Blair and Bush for their illegal war in Iraq. Or Mugabe for his evil policies. Or Karimov of Uzbekistan for the practice of burning people alive if they disagree with him, or having them shot. A man who sometimes agrees to do it himself if all his staff are busy.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't think there are any murderers in power.

HA! look at all the African countries involved with civil wars and certain countries in Asia and South America who have evil leaders in power...there are loads of them
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    HA! look at all the African countries involved with civil wars and certain countries in Asia and South America who have evil leaders in power...there are loads of them
    Erm... I made a short list of some of the ones that could be counted there? But yes it's true.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    :yeees: What I meant Turlough, was would you rather have someone who's above politics, or rather have someone like Jacques Chirac, a man whom if he wasn't president would soon be locked up?

The royal family are not above politics. You're a fool to think they are. Their very existence is political.
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    There are two S's in CommisSioned. And yes I am, and who exactly are you to suggest otherwise? You suggested the cadets in earlier posts, maybe thats your thing hunny, I teach in the AGC.

So doesn't Mr Blair have wealth? Or any other potential HoState. You need to sift and sort your ideas and make your mind up. Maybe you should join communist China, where the ideology rests on entire equality. All I know, is that I live a very happy, opinionated, expressive, freer than free, successful life here in Britain, and coming from the bottom, its not like I was born with it.

I prefer the British system than any other in the world, maybe we need to send you off to South Africa or Central Afghanistan for a few years to experience real unmodified, unfair, undemocratic lifestyles. Then you may to learn and appreciate a system built on years of modifications, improvements, appeasements, negotiations and freedoms that you take for granted today, you know, all this luxury you were ascribed.

Believe me boy, there are bigger, more relevent issues to get worked up about.

You've made some pretty laughable spelling mistakes yourself - quite worrying someone with such poor literacy skills can gain a commission in the British Army...

You're problem is reactionary thinking. Probably as a result of your inadequacies, you've attached yourself to the usually bullshit dogma. Can't find justication for yourself as an individual eh? Pity you're too dim-witted to see it :yes:.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Look at American...Bush, Clinton, Reagan...just about every President since World War 2 is directly and indirectly responsible for mass-murder.
  • Options
    * post lacking any evidence and filled with insults removed *
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    To be totally honest, I think people have a personal grudge on the Royal Family because they're more important than some dodgy insignificant 'Publicans.

see thats the thing, they're not more important, unless the royal family are some super alien race then all they are to me are just plain ole human beings, just like you, me, the post man, the dustman, the MP, and should be treated with no more or less respect than anyone else in this country...nuff said!
  • Options
    So why does victoria Beckham get to live with such social superiority? What has she done so special? She cant sing, She slags off Britain, she's a damaging eye-sore, but b ecause she's married to a man who can kick a ball, they're richer than the REAL Queen of England, you know, the old(ish) lady who sorts out our oversea's crisis', increases Commonwealth links and trade, promotes British culture in light.

Celebrities need reducing in size, not the Monarch.

Again, 60p, a year, whats the drama here guys.
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    So why does victoria Beckham get to live with such social superiority? What has she done so special? She cant sing, She slags off Britain, she's a damaging eye-sore, but b ecause she's married to a man who can kick a ball, they're richer than the REAL Queen of England, you know, the old(ish) lady who sorts out our oversea's crisis', increases Commonwealth links and trade, promotes British culture in light.

Celebrities need reducing in size, not the Monarch.

Again, 60p, a year, whats the drama here guys.

what the hell has any of that got to do with the Queen being more important than us
  • Options
    I recommended that people take a look at the good manners guide, I'd also recommend people remember they only speak for themselves, not anyone else, enless they can provide some evidence to support their views. You don't get to simply spout that the majority enjoy something when all you're doing is saying what one person thinks.
  • Options
    Well, er........she, sort of is....she kind of runs the country........and other people's countries......well at least more than me or you do. Thankfully.

I could understand you getting mad if I said a Big Brother contestant was more important, but of course, she has well Reigned longer than many people have been alive. Probably 60% of the population in fact, demographically.
  • Options
    Good manners guide? whats all thatabout??? So long as no one swears, threatens, intimidates or abuse another member, 'appy days? init?
  • Options
    No it isn't. Oh and you should try not insulting other members if you don't want to be toast.
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    Well, er........she, sort of is....she kind of runs the country........and other people's countries......well at least more than me or you do. Thankfully.

I could understand you getting mad if I said a Big Brother contestant was more important, but of course, she has well Reigned longer than many people have been alive. Probably 60% of the population in fact, demographically.

:confused: nope she doesn't "run" the country, it's the position she is in that "runs" the country and you're still missing my point, why is she more important than me, if you feel that she's more important than you because of her position then you must have some mental problems, an inferiority complex maybe?
  • Options
    im happy to have the queen, she serves an almost entirely benign symbolic position in this country, which is best served by a a random method, say hereditory :p
  • Options
    Damn this is going to be a long post, so I apologise in advance. I’d don’t come here for a few hours and all hell breaks loose…
    Right, now I have opened my own account, but I only use the PC during week days, occassionally.

Good, well done. You still need to get up earlier if you are to fool us though. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that you “niece” stopped posting just as you started, that you have the same style of posts as “she” did etc. You’ve already proved yourself to be untrustworthy.

But hey, let’s move on.
    1.The removal of the monarchy will not be the will of the people though

Why not, do you have clairvoyant powers now? What makes you so sure.

In an event you didn’t answer the questions. I asked if you would leave if the will of the people removed the monarchy. I wasn’t interested in your belief as to the probability of this.
    2.The Monarchy set the standard of British culture.

Please define what British culture actually is. I’m staggered at the number of times royalists and right-wing “patriots” trot out that expression but I’ve yet to read any definition of what it actually means.
    Britain is perceived as a historic wonder, key word being 'historic'.

So how does having a monarchy is the present affect our history.
    Why shouldn't Britain retain it's unique identity?

In what way is Britain unique?
    Ok, so we rid of the Royals, open up Buck house, all the palaces and sack the ex-amount of people working for the institution, then what? Yeah we get to see where "Queen Liz the Last" slept, but will it really have the same feel to it?

Hmmm.. as an example, the Palace of Verseilles seems to do quite well, as does Gracelands. Yet their former inhabitants aren’t around anymore.

In fact, if you want a UK reference perhaps you should look towards the Tower of London, Chartwell, Hever Castle etc…
    Keeping them upkeeps the mysteriousness.

The only mystery surrounding the Royal Family is entirely intentional. If the public really understood the priviledges enjoyed by all of the family, there would be an outcry. If you dispute this perhaps you should look at the changes in the civil list, payment of taxes etc which have taken place in my lifetime.
    ood question. Freedom of speech, yes, but when freedom of speech is abused, then what? Should the BNP be able to broadcast their true motives?

Absolutley. As abhorrent as their views are, they do represent a minority of the population. Just because they aren’t populist opinions doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be heard. In fact when their true views are heard they actually lose support IME.
    'Reality TV can be a drag'. This is criticism. 'Reality TV should be scrapped'. This is not.
    relevance?

Or are you suggesting that when Blagsta argues that the monarchy should be abolished because they are undemocratic that he isn’t being critical?
    I dont remember being 'asked' my opinion, because im sure if there was a referendum, with the correct prior-education, this figure would be about right, or higher.

I’ve never been asked to register my opinion officially either.

I’d like to think that “the correct prior-education” wouldn’t be needed. If you have to descend into the realms of re-education programmes a la Khmer Rouge, then you clearly don’t have an argument to stand on now.
    Since the 1980s, traditional English red telephone boxes have been slowly removed nationwide, because BT think it is more efficiant to buy new, tacky looking, American-style, cheap, eye-sore ones. Traditional English sights like these are being lost every day

I’m not sure what your point here is.

Once upon a time we also had sewers running through the street, workhouses in every town and the children of poor families worked up chimneys. At that time these were “British sights and sounds” and I’m sure you wouldn’t want to see a return to them.

Just because things change doesn’t mean we lose our “identity” (as you put it). If you need material things to define you, then I pity you.
    Final point here is, The Queen doesn't rank extremely high in the rich list anyway

12th. Personal wealth of £250m

Source

I’d swapo places with her ;)
    From growing up in a council estate myself, I can happily stand in as the urban spokesman.

The spokesman. Alittle arrogant wouldn’t you say?
    What does Prince William have in common with the Queen? Weak argument my dearest friend.

You mean apart from the family name, significant wealth and a life of priviledge?
    What would be the point in all the pomp and ceremony if there was no foundation for it? Bit like hot dogs without the meat.

Are you telling us that the only country able to do “pomp etc” is us?
    Do you want the pomp and ceremony or not?...

… Afterall, changing of the guard is initially established to protect 'Er Maj.
    ?

You need Royalty for this to happen.? Do you think that Changing the Guards, your example, could not happen without the Queen? As you say it was initially related to the monarchs protection, but that hardly applies now, does it?
    What more of a democracy do you want? They say its not truly democracy because we have a Queen

Actually there are other reasons. The Queen, Lords etc are just an example of undemocratic system in this country.
    The USA still executes human beings in 2005!

Relevance? Are you suggesting that if they had a monarchy this wouldn’t happen?
    Every public building in Britain must have a ramp for wheelchair access

But not because we have a monarch, you fool.
    Do you know Her Majesty's favourite colour?

So this makes her mysterious does it? Do you know what mine is?

If not, can I have £37m from the taxpayer?
    Believe me boy

:lol:

Like I said yesterday, find out who you are trying to flame. When you are “27” it’s a bit foolish to refer to people in their 30s as “boy”…
    We want our Queen, our future King

Who is this “we” you are talking about? Considering that you cannot back up your previous claim that the majority of UK subjects support your view, shouldn’t you be saying “I”?
    maybe your an new generation of immigrant

Which is relevant why?
    Support for the Queen is low in young adults, high for elders, but young kids, who witnessed the Jubilee unity/celebrations etc and slowly becoming more proud of our Sovereign and structure, as we develop many more intellectuals.

Source?
    Elected presidents are concerned more with their own political futures and power. Constitutional monarchs are not subject to the influences which can corrupt short-term presidents.

I don’t know where this quote came from, but I knew if you posted long enough, you might say something interesting.

This sums up my views, to an extent.

I’m not a royalist, I think that it is undemocratic and a life of privildge by accident of birth. I don’t believe the family is representative of the population in any real sense.

However, I dislike politicians even more. Too many in the pocket of commercial interests and only looking to secure the next vote – therefore not offering any long term solutions.
    Like I say, if our system is so terrible and intolerable, LEAVE IT

Like I said, if you do not like the fact that this country allows it’s “institutions” to be criticised, the leave it.
    what they'll find is a significant backing and strength from the TRUE British, and the unrest will be resolved.

Again, source?

Oh, and being a royalist makes someone “True British” does it?
    Well, er........she, sort of is....she kind of runs the country........and other people's countries......

I thought you said she didn’t wield that kind of power :confused:

BTW The name is “Man of Kent”, do not insult me by suggesting that I come from the North. Kent man indeed :p

Phew!
  • Options

Phew!

long one there

anyway personally i think overal lthe royal family does their job better than any politican can simply because it is their, what is the point of a democratically elected symbolic role such as head of state, and i firmly believe they are of net benefit to our country and its governmental institutions - im all for cuts in how many members of their family are royal as such, but the basic part of them ie the queen/king and her/his children we should keep......

i couldnt be a member of the royal family, being unable to vote and have a say in anything political, well by unwritten rules anyway
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:

So because she's been around longer, she's more important? Errr...
  • Options
    Yeah, sure, whatever, other than diliberate spelling mistakes, or typo's, name them.

And the "bull shit dogma" lies in "the queen does nothing" - OLD news my friend.
    I am more than happy with our prestige system, world class. Sure, we can all be individual, fend for ourselves, or we can unite as one, like we did once, in the interests if the entire nation. To be totally honest, I think people have a personal grudge on the Royal Family because they're more important than some dodgy insignificant 'Publicans.

People are more likely to have a grudge against them because they're a throwback to an oppressive history. You're too wrapped up in your silly little dogmas to realise it, that's all.

By the way, the Queen is "above" politics YOU fool, it's the description to refer to neutrality in mainstream politics, she acts as an advisor, afterall, she has seen TEN PM's lead our country, she can teach them a thing or two, or wait, should we just scrap it and give it some dodgy, greedy, jealous, scrounging, war-mongering, power-hungry president who's ambition isn't to unite Britain, but to gain celebrity status.

So where have i even implied otherwise?
    This is exactly why your going to have to put up with Her Majesty, and then the King, and then the King after that, because there is NO logical reason to reform, or indeed, abolish the current system.

You'll also have a nasty shock, when (yes when, because of course, sooner or later it will happen) there is a revolutionary demonstration, the Rep's will expect Britain to back them, what they'll find is a significant backing and strength from the TRUE British, and the unrest will be resolved.

Logic and reason are the last things anyone with a modicum of either would associate with the existence of a Royal Family :rolleyes:.

A "Revolutionary demonstration"? :confused:

Your grasp on reality is starting the falter badly...
    Oh and don't attempt to insult me "spliffie" with a name like that, if your actually "cool" enough to smoke the stuff your losing more brain cells than your producing, DUNCE.

Wrong again, cadet-boy. That's a myth, and trust a buffoon such as yourself to believe it.

By the way, it's "you're", not "your". Commissioned Officer? LOL.
  • Options
    At least the royals are honest in their way.

"I deserve the best of everything because my grandad was a bigger murdering bastard than yours was" is how they get the power. Course now they can't do that shit anymore they lose it year by year, which is a good thing.

I find the whole thing fascinating, myself, because they are so patently just a dysfunctional family of chancers and halfwits in place through historical accident. They are no different than a lifetime president would be. I have no idea where this "impartiality" bollocks comes from, but the Queen and co are just as biased as any other group of grasping twats.

I'd take the job like a fucking shot, so good luck to em, but to see them as anything other than the descendants of conmen, thieves, killers and sister-shaggers is deluded.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    At least the royals are honest in their way.

"I deserve the best of everything because my grandad was a bigger murdering bastard than yours was" is how they get the power. Course now they can't do that shit anymore they lose it year by year, which is a good thing.

I find the whole thing fascinating, myself, because they are so patently just a dysfunctional family of chancers and halfwits in place through historical accident. They are no different than a lifetime president would be. I have no idea where this "impartiality" bollocks comes from, but the Queen and co are just as biased as any other group of grasping twats.

I'd take the job like a fucking shot, so good luck to em, but to see them as anything other than the descendants of conmen, thieves, killers and sister-shaggers is deluded.

I don't have a problem with them personally, they've just been lucky enough to have a life of privilege. The impartially bollocks is just that, bollocks. You don't to look much further than assassination conspiracies of the British State in the 80's.
  • Options
    excellent value for money.

I wonder how much bogus asylum seekers cost us a year?
  • Options
    excellent value for money.

Nope.
    I wonder how much bogus asylum seekers cost us a year?

Nothing at all.
  • Options
    Nothing at all.

You mean theres no such thing as a bogus asylum seeker??? :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    Yeah, Kilintock is right, Britain needs to move on and let go of its imperial past, we need to spend our valuable tax-payers money elswhere, less traditional and ceremonial, on say, the new arrivial of illegal guests, or cushy prison cells for people who had a lapse of social common sense, and indeed, we need to spend our money on building other people's wrecks.......So let's rid the Monarchy, Have a president and yet those yanks call us followers, as we have called them followers for centuries!

God/Superhuman Save the United Shire's of Britain!
  • Options
    You mean theres no such thing as a bogus asylum seeker???

Yep. two reasons.

One - the idea of a country is a fiction, so you cannot enter and leave it at all, never mind legitimately or not.

Two - they don't cost anything even on the narrow way you mean it. They can only add value, not take it away.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    You mean theres no such thing as a bogus asylum seeker??? :eek: :eek:

Nope.

Because if they are seeking asylum, then they cannot be bogus.

I think you mean illegal immigrants.

Given the previous comments about how the monarchy attracts people here (including those from the commonwealth) could it be that they are part of the problem ;)

BTW What does immigration actually have to do with this thread at all. Does you [apparently] racist shite have to permeate through every thread?