Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Royals Cost Britain £37m a Year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
_40007894_203_queen.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4119194.stm

But that is only 61p per taxpayer per year, not bad value for money I would say!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    _40007894_203_queen.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4119194.stm

But that is only 61p per taxpayer per year, not bad value for money I would say!

So what does she do to earn £37 million?
    They should be made to live in a council estate on the arse end of nowhere.
    what would you replace them with, id rather have peopel do it by duty than want to do that, cause we'd have some bloody poncy ex-celeb

theyre very good value for money, on top of being somewhat mysterious and symbolic /patriotism
    Who would I replace the head of state with? No one ideally, but if I had to, it should be someone who is elected.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Who would I replace the head of state with? No one ideally, but if I had to, it should be someone who is elected.

i really couldnt bear to see that, its like the ultimate popularity contest and dickheads are guranteed to get into power
    Yep, dickheads always get into power, thats party politics for you. However, seeing as its the PM who actually exercises all the head of state's power anyway, it will make very little difference. I'd rather have someone democratically elected than someone there purely due to birth.
    I wonder how much Blagsta's hero the president of the sates costs tax payers a year, 500 million, 1 billion?
    And on that note how much does Tony Blair and his liberal scum thugs at the labour party cost the tax payer? A lot more then 61p a year I bet.
    Eh? Are you pissed or something?
    Blagsta's hero the president of the sates

:lol:

As misguided as ever.
    Blagsta wrote:
    However, seeing as its the PM who actually exercises all the head of state's power anyway, it will make very little difference. I'd rather have someone democratically elected than someone there purely due to birth.

Given the first comment, why is the second a necessity?
    I'm not sure if a head of state is necessary. But at the moment (as I understand it), the PM exercises the Queen's power. Maybe that would change if we had an elected head of state?

lets hope klintock doesn't find this thread
    Wrong.

The Queen exercises the Queens power. There is a thing call the "Royal Prerogative" - This includes, declaration of war, disbandment of any uniformed service, Selection and appointment of ANY Prime minister regardless of seat majority.

However, she simply "chooses" not to use them. Tony Blair makes internal, welfare decisions, he lasts for a few years and retires with all his investment frauds, however, the British Monarch, stays put.

The Monarch represents the United Kingdom and all its glory worldwide - Commonwealth nations dont want to see Blair, they want to see Britains embel, The 'Queen of England'.

How can any true British islander moan about the Queen when she costs next to nothing in comparison to a) what other head's of state's get I.E BUSH, and b) the amount of revenue raked in from the tourism and media.

Coming from the British Army, I am very proud to watch our Monarchy and would cease my British citizenship should they be removed.

They set the standard for Britain, people merely flock to us to be a part of our wonderful culture, dont believe me? Golden Jubilee! I was there and many Londoners and foreigners were there reveling.

Finally, the Queen is a representative of Britain, its not like she's one of Bush or Blair's administratives.

God save British pride, by saving our Queen.
    exconey wrote:
    Wrong.

The Queen exercises the Queens power. There is a thing call the "Royal Prerogative" - This includes, declaration of war, disbandment of any uniformed service, Selection and appointment of ANY Prime minister regardless of seat majority.

However, she simply "chooses" not to use them. Tony Blair makes internal, welfare decisions, he lasts for a few years and retires with all his investment frauds, however, the British Monarch, stays put.

I think you'll find that the Queen has no actual power, its all symbolic - the PM actually has the power - the Queen has none but symbolic power which the PM actually exercises.
    exconey wrote:
    The Monarch represents the United Kingdom and all its glory worldwide - Commonwealth nations dont want to see Blair, they want to see Britains embel, The 'Queen of England'.

She sure as hell doesn't represent me or anyone I know.
    exconey wrote:
    How can any true British islander moan about the Queen when she costs next to nothing in comparison to a) what other head's of state's get I.E BUSH, and b) the amount of revenue raked in from the tourism and media.

Because she is unelected and symbolic of everything that is wrong with the UK. Plus she's German. :p
    exconey wrote:
    Coming from the British Army, I am very proud to watch our Monarchy and would cease my British citizenship should they be removed.

Good, i hope you would actually leave and this isn't just posturing like Phil Collins' was when he said the same about a Labour government being in power.
    exconey wrote:
    They set the standard for Britain, people merely flock to us to be a part of our wonderful culture, dont believe me? Golden Jubilee! I was there and many Londoners and foreigners were there reveling.

Set the standard? What, a bunch of philandering immoral over privileged drunks?
    exconey wrote:
    Finally, the Queen is a representative of Britain, its not like she's one of Bush or Blair's administratives.

Fuck the Queen.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Plus she's German.

Blagsta reveals his true colours. Racist.
    Aww bless, your council house to cold? You got a problem with the world? Do you have many friends, do people just simply "hate" you for no reason? Maybe you suffer anxiety? Maybe your just a loaner, its ok, you can be helped.

If you dont like Britains Governmental system, leave Britain. There's another 99.44% of Land mass to settle on out there, Bye then! you still here? thought you had a problem? Bye, see ya.......go on then.....
    P.S.
    You don't actually have British citizenship. We are all the Queen's subjects. Another reason to get rid of the fucking parasites.

P.P.S.
    How long you been in the army?
    exconey wrote:
    Aww bless, your council house to cold? You got a problem with the world? Do you have many friends, do people just simply "hate" you for no reason? Maybe you suffer anxiety? Maybe your just a loaner, its ok, you can be helped.

Have you been drinking as well? Oh yeah, you're not old enough are you? How long you been in the army again? LOL! :D
    exconey wrote:
    If you dont like Britains Governmental system, leave Britain. There's another 99.44% of Land mass to settle on out there, Bye then! you still here? thought you had a problem? Bye, see ya.......go on then.....

*yawn*

Yeah I don't like our political system. So? Why should I leave? Why not fight to change it? If everyone thought like you, we'd still be living in caves.
    Blagsta reveals his true colours. Racist.

Don't give up the day job.
    Funny, I dont live in a cave and I think like me. I'm older than you. Army = 5 years.
    Fight to change it? what, seriously, you? you and you alone? One bod? gerroff? lol - since 60% of us still want our Head of State, your a loaner - I know in those urban estates you common lot express the same, jealous feelings about anybody earing more than you, or anybody "better" than you - but just because 2, 3, 600 people you have met want rid of it, don't mean 60,000,000 people do.

We may not have our empire, but what other small island can claim to have several world powers still under its crown?

Go to bed little boy.
    exconey wrote:

Even if it was the will of the people which made the change?
    They set the standard for Britain

What standard?

If you need a monarch to have pride then you really should seek help, or more of a life :p
    If you dont like Britains Governmental system, leave Britain.

Don't like the fact that our country offers us freedom to dissent?

The clearly the Army is the best place for you, you can blindly follow what you are told till your dying day.

Personally, I always thought that the army was there to help defend that freedom...
    since 60% of us still want our Head of State

Source?

I don't remember a referendum on the issue...
    Hi!

I'm new to this dog.
    I really want to work at Tesco part-time, it's a semi-ambition when I start university lol.

Well, having procrastinated long enough, I finally sent off a decent CV and they sent me back an application form with a somewhat demanding letter, I quote "please sent this back as soon as possible".

Now, either it was a standard mail-merge, or they're short and I might have a chance working there!

But, can I ask experiencee's, does this mean they're interested in me? Or am I going to receive a letter saying they have no vacancies.

How much will I be paid, i'm 18 in 3 weeks.

What is the job like.

And general experience working at Tesco's would be great.

I'll update you on my success.

Bye.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1364597&postcount=27

Oh dear, someone's been telling porkies haven't they? Someone who isn't too bright as well by the looks of it.
    exconey wrote:
    Army = 5 years.

You mean cadets then...?
    Go to bed little boy.

Oh, the irony of this comment now :lol:

Sad thing is, I actually agree with your underlying point about the benefit of monarchy...
    exconey refers to my niece who also uses this computer, coney = rabbit - ex = dunno?

Anyway, choose to believe that fi you want, I dont actually care.

But, its easy to cut up my posts and make very very short, useless statements, but ultimately, your say means NOTHHIINNGG. So live with it kidos, what exactly do you expect to achieve?

Obviously the person who checked out my niece's posts was so insecure by his stupid statements he actually had to look up her/my posts and see "what I was like". Well I shan't bother investingating your profile, your a no-body who means very little to me, or indeed 60% of us.

I am an officer commissioned into the British Army, any questions fire away.

Maybe you lot need to go and find some chav-villie and discuss your hatred for Britains Monarchy with other uneducated, little chav-like skin heads who share the same "lesser-than-realistic" opinion.

Bye.
    LOL! :D Such wriggling! You were caught out boy, now take it like a man.
    Yep - thought you was as ignorant - like's to believe the easiest option because his mind is pathetically rich in wood.

Maybe you should disconnect from the computer for a while and get some fresh air, walk the dog, meet friends - you seem to be quite a regular.

Insignificant human.

I mean 9 thousand posts? What on earth? Haven't you experienced lager yet? or girls?
    Did you used to post here before by any chance?
    exconey wrote:
    exconey refers to my niece who also uses this computer, coney = rabbit - ex = dunno?

Even though the style is exactly the same?

Assuming that you are now telling the truth, you need to log in under your own ID, it's a rule of the house.
    But, its easy to cut up my posts and make very very short, useless statements

Even easier to ignore them, isn't it?
    or indeed 60% of us.

Again, source?
    I am an officer commissioned into the British Army, any questions fire away.

I've already started, perhaps you can adress those first...
    Maybe you lot need to go and find some chav-villie and discuss your hatred for Britains Monarchy with other uneducated, little chav-like skin heads who share the same "lesser-than-realistic" opinion.

You need to work harder on your flaming.

Dunno about Blagsta, but I haven't seen many mid 30s chavs...
    exconey obviously has some inferiority issues, poor child
    exconey wrote:

Anyway, choose to believe that fi you want, I dont actually care.

... yadda, yadda, yadda etc

Bye.

Hmm, now look at the other thread...
    I don't think so,

.. yadda, yadda, yadda etc...

Bye.

Caught out twice...

Note to exconey-

Must. Try. Harder.
    Ok - seen as my occupation is overly-interesting, please do, tell us your's.

No royalty? Tut tut. No Royal Navy, Royal Air force, Royal Marines, no royal weddings, no royal nothing. What would the rest of the world do? The Brits are the best at pomp and circumstance. Want a good parade? Roll out the bands, fire the guns, and watch 'em march smart and steadfast. Up the Royals.
    Patrick, Canada

consider myself progressive and very far to the left on the political spectrum. However, I have great respect for the monarchy because it is not an inherent part of the law-making legal structure - it is simply a symbolic office. Indeed, there are numerous other European nations with similar political systems - with the monarch as the symbolic head of state at the top. The Netherlands is considered one of the most liberal and progressive nations in not only Europe, but the world, and yet they have a monarchy as well. Brits opposed to monarchy need to reassess their objections because a thoroughly democratic nation is perfectly able to have a hereditary monarch as head of state.
    Ben Haley, Edinburgh, UK

As always, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.... I prefer to have Liz in my wallet any day as opposed to any other world leader - fanatical or not.
    Richard, UK

Society will always want a leading family. The only way to avoid tasteless competitions won by vulgar people is to have a position that, in general, people cannot aspire to but do respect. That is why we have a non-political invited Royal Family.
    Josephine Bennington, UK

I am 16 years of age and I am as modern as one can be. However, I do feel that the Royal Family does play an important role. The Royal Family is what makes Britain unique from the rest of the world. I personally think that to no longer have the Royal Family would be a great shame. I know that I don't only speak for myself in this subject as many of my friends - my age - also believes that the Royal Family plays a big part in Britain today and should remain. All I can hope for is that the Royal Family is here to stay!
    Joseph A, England

Living next to a country with a president as head of state, makes one very leery of anything other than the present monarchy of Britain, which is also the head of state of Canada. God Save the Queen!
    Eritch van Rustomssen, Canada

How can a family whose history is the history of the country, whose head, the Queen has 50 years of political experience, has worked with seven prime ministers and has the respect of leaders across the globe be replaced by someone like John Prescott? Does Republic seriously believe an elected head of state is an improvement?
    Chris, Italy

Most of us here in the US would gladly trade ours for yours, thank you very much.
    Paul Hollingsworth, USA

Just a few worldwide opinions. Please read.