Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Royals Cost Britain £37m a Year

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ibex - I can only reward you with my respect (to an extent). You don't follow my view, fair enough, but at least you express it in a way that is concise and understandable,a nd at least you don't rant and rave and disregard other people's opinions and use the old "fuck the Queen" to back up your statements.

Like certain members have done.

So you shed a healthy light on Republicanism. However, I'm still a fond Monarchist.
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    There are two S's in CommisSioned. And yes I am, and who exactly are you to suggest otherwise? You suggested the cadets in earlier posts, maybe thats your thing hunny, I teach in the AGC.

Yes of course you do. What offers are Tescos running at the moment btw?
    Geowizz wrote:
    So doesn't Mr Blair have wealth? Or any other potential HoState. You need to sift and sort your ideas and make your mind up. Maybe you should join communist China, where the ideology rests on entire equality. All I know, is that I live a very happy, opinionated, expressive, freer than free, successful life here in Britain, and coming from the bottom, its not like I was born with it.

I don't know where to start with this confused post. Did I ever mention that Blair doesn't have wealth? At least their is some pretension of accountabilty there. And what has China got to do with anything I've written? A state where wealth and priviledge also counts for everything. Why would I want to live there? I'll tell you, not everyone can make it from the bottom. If we live in such a classless free society, why are there so many people living on the streets?
    Geowizz wrote:
    I prefer the British system than any other in the world, maybe we need to send you off to South Africa or Central Afghanistan for a few years to experience real unmodified, unfair, undemocratic lifestyles. Then you may to learn and appreciate a system built on years of modifications, improvements, appeasements, negotiations and freedoms that you take for granted today, you know, all this luxury you were ascribed.

Just because you think you've been to other countries, so what? Yes I know the British system could be worse - it could also be a whole lot better. If no one ever wanted to improve things "because things could be worse", we'd still alll be living in caves. You're argument is fallacious in the extreme.
    Geowizz wrote:
    Believe me boy, there are bigger, more relevent issues to get worked up about.

Well why get worked up about it then? Can I remind you, that it was you that started this little spat, child.

Now go run off to Tescos, child.
  • Options
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    And what exactly have you done to show your support for Republicanism?

And as for power, the Queen is there for culture and ceremony, as has been discussed a million times. I prefer a neutral, non-commons, non-elected figure in politics, especially one who eye-witnessed the War.

You think the Queen gives a shit about the war?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No, just political ones.

Seeing as the BBC get criticised by left and right alike and by whichever goverment is in power, they must be doing something right. No, they're not perfect, but I'd rather have a news channel independent of commercial interests, even if I have to pay for it through my license fee.
    Kermit wrote:
    Just as well really, you pay far more for them.

Its worth it IMO.
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    Ibex - I can only reward you with my respect (to an extent). You don't follow my view, fair enough, but at least you express it in a way that is concise and understandable,a nd at least you don't rant and rave and disregard other people's opinions and use the old "fuck the Queen" to back up your statements.

Like certain members have done.

Yes, you have ranted and raved. I find rhetoric like this
    exconey wrote:
    Wrong.

The Queen exercises the Queens power. There is a thing call the "Royal Prerogative" - This includes, declaration of war, disbandment of any uniformed service, Selection and appointment of ANY Prime minister regardless of seat majority.

However, she simply "chooses" not to use them. Tony Blair makes internal, welfare decisions, he lasts for a few years and retires with all his investment frauds, however, the British Monarch, stays put.

The Monarch represents the United Kingdom and all its glory worldwide - Commonwealth nations dont want to see Blair, they want to see Britains embel, The 'Queen of England'.

How can any true British islander moan about the Queen when she costs next to nothing in comparison to a) what other head's of state's get I.E BUSH, and b) the amount of revenue raked in from the tourism and media.

Coming from the British Army, I am very proud to watch our Monarchy and would cease my British citizenship should they be removed.

They set the standard for Britain, people merely flock to us to be a part of our wonderful culture, dont believe me? Golden Jubilee! I was there and many Londoners and foreigners were there reveling.

Finally, the Queen is a representative of Britain, its not like she's one of Bush or Blair's administratives.

God save British pride, by saving our Queen.

Quite offensive. The Queen is not representative of me or the Britain I know. Your version of British pride equates to jingoism as far as I can see. That is deeply offensive and childish.

Geowizz wrote:
    So you shed a healthy light on Republicanism. However, I'm still a fond Monarchist.

Fair play to you. Just don't come on here with your extremist "God save the Queen" rants.
  • Options
    But one of Blagsta's arguments is that the Monarchy no longer have any power and that they are merely symbolic ornamentation. Do they have power, or not?

They have power by virtue of having rank and wealth - their political power however is largely symbolic.
  • Options
    But one of Blagsta's arguments is that the Monarchy no longer have any power and that they are merely symbolic ornamentation. Do they have power, or not?

I hardly think their opinions count for nothing!

It's not about formal power anyway. Partly it's symbolic, and partly it's about the informal networks of power surrounding the Royals and court. It's changed a bit now, but ten years ago I remember reading a piece which pointed out that a lot of people with high positions at court - Black Rod, ladies of the Bedchamber and the rest of them - were frequently arch-conservatives in positions of influence.

The Monarchy, House of Lords (though less so now), the higher echelons of the civil service, the armed forces - they're all a mutually-supportive conservative clique.
  • Options
    "Elected presidents are concerned more with their own political futures and power. Constitutional monarchs are not subject to the influences which can corrupt short-term presidents. A monarch can represent centuries of history whereas elected Presidents in their nature devote much energy to undoing the achievements of their predecessors and setting traps for their successors. With monarchs it is the reverse- they build on the achievements of their forebears in order to strengthen the position of their successors. A long-reigning monarch can put enormous experience at the disposal of transient political leaders. This has been the case with our present Queen. An experienced monarch can act as a sounding-board for politicians.
    Having a monarchy and a royal family means that a whole family of people are undertaking valuable ceremonial and charitable duties across the country to a degree to which an executive president or symbolic president just cannot fulfil."
  • Options
    you know you are doing something right if you are been harassed, well these days anyway
  • Options
    Its polite to reference your quotes - however irrelevant.
  • Options
    1. What is wrong with being conservative?
    2. So they have money because mummy and daddy have money. Are all rich kids parasites who should be abolished?
    3. If they don't have political power, what is the problem anyway?
    4. What is wrong with a clique? People get goodjobs because of who they know, it is perfectly understandable, what is wrong with it?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    1. What is wrong with being conservative?

It stands for power and privilege.
    Kermit wrote:
    2. So they have money because mummy and daddy have money. Are all rich kids parasites who should be abolished?

What happened to your burgeoning class analysis? Your 2nd statement is a straw man btw.
    Kermit wrote:
    3. If they don't have political power, what is the problem anyway?

They don't have formal political power, this doesn't mean that they don't wield any power - they do and it is wielded in favour of the rich and powerful against the interests of most other people.
    Kermit wrote:
    4. What is wrong with a clique? People get goodjobs because of who they know, it is perfectly understandable, what is wrong with it?

What's right with it?
  • Options
    I mean, these quotes say it all...........it's a sad sad day........

I notice that the constitutional monarchies are the most democratic countries of Europe. I can’t understand how there could be any debate about it.
    Jack Lang, French Minister of Culture, October 1993.

If constitutional monarchy were to come to an end in Britain, parliamentary democracy would probably not survive it. It is, after all, through the monarchy that parliamentary control over the armed forces is mediated and maintained.
    Conor Cruise O’Brien, The Independent, 25th June 1993.

I am personally still convinced that there are safeguards in the constitutional monarchy that an elected head of state just would not possess.
    Roger Stott MP, The Independent on Sunday, 7th September 1997.

Monarchy is the one system of government where power is exercised for the good of all.
    Aristotle, 322-384 BC
  • Options
    4. so people are not allowed to use connections just because others dont have them?

thats like saying im not allowed to call the fire service to put my burning house out, simply because my neighbours house isnt on fire
  • Options
    Anyone who fears that by becoming a republic we would condemn ourselves to a presidency held by a perpetual succession of superannuated politicians - at the moment presumably a choice between Heath, Kinnock, Thatcher and Major - is an optimist.

The alternative nightmare scenario looks not to the European model but to the American, where the essentials for election to the presidency appear to be ruthless ambition, access to vast wealth, reckless promises of patronage and preferment, effective control of a big slice of the media and a plausible TV manner.

We don’t know when we are well off.
    Gordon Medcalf, The Independent, 10th September 1997

This one is especially true, you have to admit it. The Royals are born into wealth, therefore, greed is not an issue. Just look at Bush.......He speaks English.....he's white.....who says Britain won't end up with a similar misfit?

This is what makes us different, and has done for so long, so go back to your fantasy world 'publicans, aint gonna happen in your miserable life time.
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    I mean, these quotes say it all...........it's a sad sad day........

I notice that the constitutional monarchies are the most democratic countries of Europe. I can’t understand how there could be any debate about it.
    Jack Lang, French Minister of Culture, October 1993.

If constitutional monarchy were to come to an end in Britain, parliamentary democracy would probably not survive it. It is, after all, through the monarchy that parliamentary control over the armed forces is mediated and maintained.
    Conor Cruise O’Brien, The Independent, 25th June 1993.

I am personally still convinced that there are safeguards in the constitutional monarchy that an elected head of state just would not possess.
    Roger Stott MP, The Independent on Sunday, 7th September 1997.

Monarchy is the one system of government where power is exercised for the good of all.
    Aristotle, 322-384 BC

Yes, we can all find quotes or examples that supprt our case. What side were the Royal Family on during the Spanish civil war for instance?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    4. so people are not allowed to use connections just because others dont have them?

thats like saying im not allowed to call the fire service to put my burning house out, simply because my neighbours house isnt on fire

What an absurd comparison. The point is that the royals exercise power and privilege, simply due to an accident of birth. That ain't right.
  • Options
    Yes, we can all find quotes or examples that supprt our case. What side were the Royal Family on during the Spanish civil war for instance?

I didn't know they fought in it.
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    Anyone who fears that by becoming a republic we would condemn ourselves to a presidency held by a perpetual succession of superannuated politicians - at the moment presumably a choice between Heath, Kinnock, Thatcher and Major - is an optimist.

The alternative nightmare scenario looks not to the European model but to the American, where the essentials for election to the presidency appear to be ruthless ambition, access to vast wealth, reckless promises of patronage and preferment, effective control of a big slice of the media and a plausible TV manner.

We don’t know when we are well off.
    Gordon Medcalf, The Independent, 10th September 1997

This one is especially true, you have to admit it. The Royals are born into wealth, therefore, greed is not an issue. Just look at Bush.......He speaks English.....he's white.....who says Britain won't end up with a similar misfit?

This is what makes us different, and has done for so long, so go back to your fantasy world 'publicans, aint gonna happen in your miserable life time.

Talk about a straw man argument! Just because I'm opposed to the royals, it doesn't necessarily follow that I want the US model. Logic ain't your strong point is it?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I didn't know they fought in it.

What side were the Carlists on?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Talk about a straw man argument! Just because I'm opposed to the royals, it doesn't necessarily follow that I want the US model. Logic ain't your strong point is it?
    It's not that much of a straw man argument, republics have either been on the US/France model, or on the Castro/Mugabe model.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's not that much of a straw man argument, republics have either been on the US/France model, or on the Castro/Mugabe model.

Yeah it is. It doesn't follow that because I'm opposed to monarchy that I must be in favour of a presidency. Come on Kermit, you know me better than that!
  • Options
    Nor is it your's, you have talked complete nonsense since last night, you have attracted an audience who think you are an over-opinionated, misconceived, brainwashed lefty.

Here...

"The British love their Queen, their Queen Mother, Prince Charles, and the comforting security of their hereditary constitutional monarchy, an institution of which the characters are beyond the manipulation of man, an institution guaranteeing continuity, overriding the dissensions of politics. The best governments are constitutional monarchies, and we may yet see some restored in eastern Europe."

Lord Menuhin, The Daily Telegraph, 2nd July 1998

And finally...

"In republicks there is not a respect for authority, but a fear of power."

Dr Samuel Johnson (Boswell’s Life, p 464).

Feel free to add some of your reliable, famous, worthy quotes.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What an absurd comparison. The point is that the royals exercise power and privilege, simply due to an accident of birth. That ain't right.

so because you were born in a developed country? means you should use all the services and facilities open to you?
  • Options
    What side were the Carlists on?
    And they were linked to the British Monarchy, how?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    And they were linked to the British Monarchy, how?

Geowizz was making a point about monarchy in general. The British govt and monarcy also implicitly supported the fascists in Spain too y'know.
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    Nor is it your's, you have talked complete nonsense since last night, you have attracted an audience who think you are an over-opinionated, misconceived, brainwashed lefty.

Here...

"The British love their Queen, their Queen Mother, Prince Charles, and the comforting security of their hereditary constitutional monarchy, an institution of which the characters are beyond the manipulation of man, an institution guaranteeing continuity, overriding the dissensions of politics. The best governments are constitutional monarchies, and we may yet see some restored in eastern Europe."

Lord Menuhin, The Daily Telegraph, 2nd July 1998

And finally...

"In republicks there is not a respect for authority, but a fear of power."

Dr Samuel Johnson (Boswell’s Life, p 464).

Feel free to add some of your reliable, famous, worthy quotes.

You've obviously run out of arguments, hence you resorting to quotes. Well done. Now run along back to Tescos.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    so because you were born in a developed country? means you should use all the services and facilities open to you?

What? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Geowizz was making a point about monarchy in general. The British govt and monarcy also implicitly supported the fascists in Spain too y'know.

Well the argument was about the British Monarchy. And your thing about implicit is complete rubbish. You may be able to make a better case for it being part of appeasement, but to suggest implict support is rubbish.

And given that the Republicans were explicitly supported by Stalin I'd be careful about making too much of the Spanish Civil War as abattle between the forces of democratic socialist goodies and evil, reactionary baddies (especially given that during the rule of the evil reactionary baddies the Head of State was a general and it was only on his death and democratic rule that the monarchy returned).