Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Royals Cost Britain £37m a Year

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, your occupation is wannabe Tesco's shelfstacker.

P.S.
    What are your quotes supposed to prove?
  • Options
    exconey wrote:
    Ok - seen as my occupation is overly-interesting, please do, tell us your's.

Actually couldn't give a shit about your occupation.

Do give a shit about you pretending to be something you're not, just to support your weak argument.

A real Armed Forces Officer would realise that when he is outnumbered, outgunned and using inferior tactics, then he should retreat or surrender.

Choice is yours.

BTW You still haven't addressed any of the points previously raised. You are starting to come across like a previous member...
    Just a few worldwide opinions. Please read.

Have done, nice edit of the BBC Site it was too. You seem to have missed a few comments out...

Such as:
    Outrageous. If they didn't travel abroad promoting British interests someone else would at much lower expense. I'm also in a fair amount of debt, much like most taxpayers, and am wondering why I should subsidise their lifestyle.
    Anon, London

They should use the money instead on poor and increase the tax credits. Instead of keeping the monarchy rich! And the poor, poor! We don't need this out of date institution. I wish someone would pay for me to fly to Scotland to play golf like the tax payer has done for Andrew. Who cares that the amount is less than years previously and they are paying more tax. We all pay more tax!
    Aubrey Moore, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

What happened to equality, why chartered flights, trains and helicopters? Why don't they use economy class and public transport like the rest of us?
    Nicos Nicolaou, Bristol

That's another £37m that could be used to improve hospitals and schools, many people say the queen serves as a tourist attraction; I have yet to see the Queen stood on the balcony of Buckingham Palace welcoming tourists. I have seen images of the Royal Family riding motor cycles and flying around in helicopters, at our expense!
    Ryan Davies, Swansea, Wales

Just a selected few...

Now, where were we? Ah yes, I remember...

Must. Try. Harder
  • Options
    I'm marginally in favour of keeping the monarchy. It would only end up being massively abused by the party in power at the time if it were to be changed. Anyway, £37m a year is peanuts.
  • Options
    Only marginally? Hmm.

Well, i'll be the bigger man and act a little more mature. I can see why people have these feelings about our monarchy, but I still personally think the positives outweigh the negatives, and if one has never had the pleasure of actually participating in it's 'positives', then that is a shame, that maybe the reason why people feel disconnected from the monarch. I have personally met 2 members of the family, have participated in many ceremonial events and enjoy the global popularity of being British overseas.

However, it must be negotiated, instead of a clean, sharp bold statement. What about realistic suggestions for modifcation?

It isn't going to go, so I have leanred to live with it, and enjoy that.

You can be ignorant and rant and rave, or you can have a grown up intelligent debate, of which I welcome.
  • Options
    Someone's posturing again. And it ain't me.

The Monarchy takes little harm as it is. It will be here for a while and I don't want to get rid of it just yet. The ghastly attempts at becoming 'media darlings' just angers people.

A 'President Blair' is a vile idea.
  • Options
    exconey are you a walt? If not I suggest you don't use someone else's screen name as it only only causes confusion.
  • Options
    £37m, in the grand scheme of things, is absolute peanuts.

The Government spend more than that every month on computer systems that don't work, and on illegal wars.

I think a constitutional monarchy provides an important check, even though it is effectively a ceremonial one these days, at least it is still there. For all the charms of republics, I don't think they are secure.
  • Options
    exconey wrote:
    you can have a grown up intelligent debate, of which I welcome.

Good.

Then you will answer some of the questions which have been asked already..
    • Would you renounce your citizenship, if the removal of the monarchy was the will of the people?
    • What standards does the monarchy set?
    • You argue that if someone doesn’t like our system of Govt then they should leave the country, yet you seem not to like the freedom of speech(the freedom to criticise) which our system offers. Does this mean you should leave, or are you just a hypocrite?
    • You claim that 60% of the population wants the monarchy, do you have a source for that, or are you just making up figures?
  • Options
    The Royal family is well capable of looking after its own affairs and is completely finacialy independent of the state. The top up from the taxpayer is unecessary and deminishes the effect the family has.
    When the queen and prince charles are billionaires each and get many tax breaks too the taxpayers contribution only generates resentment.
  • Options
    Right, now I have opened my own account, but I only use the PC during week days, occassionally.
    kent man wrote:
    Then you will answer some of the questions which have been asked already..

Of course, how rude would I be to procrastinate any longer?
    Would you renounce your citizenship, if the removal of the monarchy was the will of the people?

What standards does the monarchy set?

You argue that if someone doesn’t like our system of Govt then they should leave the country, yet you seem not to like the freedom of speech(the freedom to criticise) which our system offers. Does this mean you should leave, or are you just a hypocrite?

You claim that 60% of the population wants the monarchy, do you have a source for that, or are you just making up figures?

I'll label each request 1 - 4. 1 being the first.

1.The removal of the monarchy will not be the will of the people though, people are either that uninterested they couldn't be bothered, or there are still many patriots living in this land; as it stands, MANY people are connected with 'Er Maj and civil unrest is, presently, unlikely.

2.The Monarchy set the standard of British culture. Not all of it, granted, but lets face it, other than contemporary art (inc. music), Britain is perceived as a historic wonder, key word being 'historic'. Culture vulcher's visit China to experience Chinese culture, Indian culture, Spanish culture etc. Why shouldn't Britain retain it's unique identity? By having the most prestigious Monarchy, and Parliamentary goverment at the same time? Many times I have been abroad and they ask "Have you met the Queen?", it's just a piece of Britishness we should be celebrating. They are ONE family that are well-looked after, but they do a lot for all of us, this cannot be disputed.

Ok, so we rid of the Royals, open up Buck house, all the palaces and sack the ex-amount of people working for the institution, then what? Yeah we get to see where "Queen Liz the Last" slept, but will it really have the same feel to it? Keeping them upkeeps the mysteriousness.

3. Good question. Freedom of speech, yes, but when freedom of speech is abused, then what? Should the BNP be able to broadcast their true motives? Wouldn't this just entice a larger audience? Should children be allowed to speak their mind when being told off by their teacher? Because its a "free country"? Should policemen be allowed to arrest people, and tell them what scum they are, all in the name of liberal democracy and "freedom of speech". Or, is this just 'different'? Debating and arguing are two seperate entities, I simply fail to comprehend why any British person can't see the advantages of our system.
    kent man wrote:
    (the freedom to criticise)

'Reality TV can be a drag'. This is criticism. 'Reality TV should be scrapped'. This is not.

4. I "claimed" 60% of us want the Monarchy because, to be honest with you, I read it somewhere, I think it was the BBC, but yes you are right to criticise this figure, afterall, I dont remember being 'asked' my opinion, because im sure if there was a referendum, with the correct prior-education, this figure would be about right, or higher.

Now, I am open to further discussion, but let's spare the abuse and childishness.

Since the 1980s, traditional English red telephone boxes have been slowly removed nationwide, because BT think it is more efficiant to buy new, tacky looking, American-style, cheap, eye-sore ones. Traditional English sights like these are being lost every day, what next, replace our red post boxes with "modern looking" metal containers? No thank you. I personally couldn't bare loosing our monarchy, I think it will be a national regret over the long term. I also couldn't bare to move any closer to American politics or even French. Britain is Britain and the rest of the world needs to deal with that, which they tend to do. Our own people need to unite and celebrate our past achievements and our culture, not promote separatism.

Final point here is, The Queen doesn't rank extremely high in the rich list anyway, what I don't understand is, how does a football player who kicks a ball attract more popularity and indeed much more revenue? Ok, that footballer entertains the masses, but do they really need to earn 70k a week for it? While the Monarch does civil duties in the interests of Britain?

I dont particularly like football, but I tolerate it because its apart of our culture and it does a lot of good, so to does the Crown.
  • Options
    exconey wrote:
    Only marginally? Hmm.

Well, i'll be the bigger man and act a little more mature. I can see why people have these feelings about our monarchy, but I still personally think the positives outweigh the negatives, and if one has never had the pleasure of actually participating in it's 'positives', then that is a shame, that maybe the reason why people feel disconnected from the monarch. I have personally met 2 members of the family, have participated in many ceremonial events and enjoy the global popularity of being British overseas.

However, it must be negotiated, instead of a clean, sharp bold statement. What about realistic suggestions for modifcation?

It isn't going to go, so I have leanred to live with it, and enjoy that.

You can be ignorant and rant and rave, or you can have a grown up intelligent debate, of which I welcome.

What positives? The tourist trade? We could still keep Buck House, the changing of the guard etc. Why do we need to keep an outdated relic of the past? A symbol of our class ridden and undemocratic past? Why? What purpose does it serve?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    £37m, in the grand scheme of things, is absolute peanuts.

The Government spend more than that every month on computer systems that don't work, and on illegal wars.

I think a constitutional monarchy provides an important check, even though it is effectively a ceremonial one these days, at least it is still there. For all the charms of republics, I don't think they are secure.

What sort of check? It provides no checks at all, its purely symbolic.
  • Options
    Personally, I don't mind the Queen acting as head of state. Who would we have instead? Someone like Chirac? No thanks.

Yes, to be born into wealth and status does seem unfair to most of us - but life is a bitch anyway. As it costs me just 67p a year to keep her in that thankless job, I say that it is good value. It's just the hangers-on (the minor royals) that I feel ought to be dispatched ...
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    Right, now I have opened my own account, but I only use the PC during week days, occassionally.

Yes, of course you do son.
    Geowizz wrote:
    Of course, how rude would I be to procrastinate any longer?

I'll label each request 1 - 4. 1 being the first.

1.The removal of the monarchy will not be the will of the people though, people are either that uninterested they couldn't be bothered, or there are still many patriots living in this land; as it stands, MANY people are connected with 'Er Maj and civil unrest is, presently, unlikely.

If it was the will of the people, would you leave? Yes/no.
    Geowizz wrote:
    2.The Monarchy set the standard of British culture. Not all of it, granted, but lets face it, other than contemporary art (inc. music), Britain is perceived as a historic wonder, key word being 'historic'. Culture vulcher's visit China to experience Chinese culture, Indian culture, Spanish culture etc. Why shouldn't Britain retain it's unique identity? By having the most prestigious Monarchy, and Parliamentary goverment at the same time? Many times I have been abroad and they ask "Have you met the Queen?", it's just a piece of Britishness we should be celebrating. They are ONE family that are well-looked after, but they do a lot for all of us, this cannot be disputed.

What standards? As I said - a bunch of philandering Germans? Do you think that British culture is one monolithic entity? What does a person growing up on a council estate in inner city London have in common with the Queen? As I said, we can keep all the pomp and circumstance, but we don't need the actual Royal Family. They serve no purpose except as a reminder of a horribly outdated and undemocratic system.
    Geowizz wrote:
    Ok, so we rid of the Royals, open up Buck house, all the palaces and sack the ex-amount of people working for the institution, then what? Yeah we get to see where "Queen Liz the Last" slept, but will it really have the same feel to it? Keeping them upkeeps the mysteriousness.

What "mysteriousness"? :confused:
    Geowizz wrote:
    3. Good question. Freedom of speech, yes, but when freedom of speech is abused, then what? Should the BNP be able to broadcast their true motives?

Yes - I don't believe in state censorship.
    Geowizz wrote:
    Wouldn't this just entice a larger audience?

No, I think it would actually reduce it.
    Geowizz wrote:
    Should children be allowed to speak their mind when being told off by their teacher?

It depends. What has this to do with anything anyhow?
    Geowizz wrote:
    Because its a "free country"?

Is it?
    Geowizz wrote:
    Should policemen be allowed to arrest people, and tell them what scum they are, all in the name of liberal democracy and "freedom of speech".

No, but they do.
    Geowizz wrote:
    Or, is this just 'different'?

Is what "just 'different'"? :confused:
    Geowizz wrote:
    Debating and arguing are two seperate entities, I simply fail to comprehend why any British person can't see the advantages of our system.

Advantages over what? Compared to what?
    Geowizz wrote:
    'Reality TV can be a drag'. This is criticism. 'Reality TV should be scrapped'. This is not.

:confused:
    Geowizz wrote:
    4. I "claimed" 60% of us want the Monarchy because, to be honest with you, I read it somewhere, I think it was the BBC, but yes you are right to criticise this figure, afterall, I dont remember being 'asked' my opinion, because im sure if there was a referendum, with the correct prior-education, this figure would be about right, or higher.

"with the correct prior-education" :eek: Sounds a bit Stalinist to me.

"You will be in favour of the Royal Family or we'll throw you in the tower!" :rolleyes:
    Geowizz wrote:
    Now, I am open to further discussion, but let's spare the abuse and childishness.

Hypocrite.
    Geowizz wrote:
    Since the 1980s, traditional English red telephone boxes have been slowly removed nationwide, because BT think it is more efficiant to buy new, tacky looking, American-style, cheap, eye-sore ones. Traditional English sights like these are being lost every day, what next, replace our red post boxes with "modern looking" metal containers? No thank you. I personally couldn't bare loosing our monarchy, I think it will be a national regret over the long term. I also couldn't bare to move any closer to American politics or even French. Britain is Britain and the rest of the world needs to deal with that, which they tend to do. Our own people need to unite and celebrate our past achievements and our culture, not promote separatism.

Why do we need to keep the Royal Family though? You still haven't explained. What is "Britishness"? You still haven't explained that either. What does someone growing up on a council estate in Brixton, Peckham, Handsworth or St Pauls have in common with someone growing up on a country estate in Buckinghamshire?
    Geowizz wrote:
    Final point here is, The Queen doesn't rank extremely high in the rich list anyway, what I don't understand is, how does a football player who kicks a ball attract more popularity and indeed much more revenue? Ok, that footballer entertains the masses, but do they really need to earn 70k a week for it? While the Monarch does civil duties in the interests of Britain?

Does a footballer claim money from the taxpayer? Are they a symbol of a violent, repressive and undemocratic past?
    Geowizz wrote:
    I dont particularly like football, but I tolerate it because its apart of our culture and it does a lot of good, so to does the Crown.

What an absurd argument.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Personally, I don't mind the Queen acting as head of state. Who would we have instead? Someone like Chirac? No thanks.

How about some democracy?
  • Options
    Blagsta, you seem to be very angry at the world.
    blaggers wrote:
    Yes, of course you do son.

And you know what about me? my neice? my computer habbits?
    blaggers wrote:
    a bunch of philandering Germans? Do you think that British culture is one monolithic entity? What does a person growing up on a council estate in inner city London have in common with the Queen? As I said, we can keep all the pomp and circumstance, but we don't need the actual Royal Family. They serve no purpose except as a reminder of a horribly outdated and undemocratic system

A "bunch" of....Thought you were all for equal rights, this sounds a bit patronising. How would you like it if us Royalists called people like you a "bunch of confused, insignificant 9 to 5'er's"? Good job we dont.

From growing up in a council estate myself, I can happily stand in as the urban spokesman.

What does Prince William have in common with the Queen? Weak argument my dearest friend.

What would be the point in all the pomp and ceremony if there was no foundation for it? Bit like hot dogs without the meat.

"They serve no purpose"???????

Whatsssalllllthaaaadddaaabbbooout? Dear lord, you are one confused mudda chucker. Here, http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelines/britain/post_eli_ii.shtml

Gee'z how long has this argumentative spotty nerd plaqued this site for?
    They serve no purpose except as a reminder of a horribly outdated and undemocratic system

Ah ha, now you just need to make your mind up. Do you want the pomp and ceremony or not? Dont make a statement such as ridding the Royals, but keep the ceremony if you dont want to be reminded of Britains gruesome past. Afterall, changing of the guard is initially established to protect 'Er Maj.

We were the first Liberal Parliamentary on planet earth, we DO vote for our ministerial leader, he DOES make the decisions, but because THIS is Britain, we enjoy our pomp and thus upkeep it. Britains shoddy past was long long ago, it was actually the Monarchy that abolished the slave trade and enriched the world with our empire. Moan about it all you want, but I side with the biggest.

What more of a democracy do you want? They say its not truly democracy because we have a Queen, but thats just an excuse for Republicans to spread their unwanted wisdom. The USA still executes human beings in 2005! Every public building in Britain must have a ramp for wheelchair access, this country is far from undemocratic and humane, you could do a lot worse spotty.
    What "mysteriousness"?

Do you know Her Majesty's favourite colour?
    It depends. What has this to do with anything anyhow?

"Freedom of Speech".......apparently...
    Originally Posted by Geowizz

Hypocrite

Well I was happy to debate this, but your post above suggests you want something to do on this sunny Thursday.
    Why do we need to keep the Royal Family though? You still haven't explained. What is "Britishness"? You still haven't explained that either. What does someone growing up on a council estate in Brixton, Peckham, Handsworth or St Pauls have in common with someone growing up on a country estate in Buckinghamshire?

Firstly, go here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1701843.stm - Proves the word exists.

Secondly, from Brixton to Buckinghamshire, this is not the Monarchy, this is down to capitalism. Don't take western capitalism out on the Queen. We ALL live it. Someone who resides in East London, now, can become the Prime Minister, (reference = John Major) this country allows any able working-class hard worker to overachieve and rise, but that is down to the person. Afterall, why should someone growing up in Peckham live the life they have, when someone who appeared of pop idle lives the life of a celeb because they have a tighter (or looser) vocal cord? It's an unfair world you need to deal with it.
    Does a footballer claim money from the taxpayer? Are they a symbol of a violent, repressive and undemocratic past?

At 67p a year, I wouldn't use this as an excuse, its as outdated as Duran Duran. And yes footballers have been connected with violance, in the past ironically. Where as the Queen wouldn't kill a fly.

Every primitive nation on earth experienced an undemocratic past, come on, stop looking through the key hole here. Bigger picture, Bigger brain.

By the way, stop producing about 3 messages before someone elses reply, make's you look over-eager, and indeed, obsessively annoying.
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    Blagsta, you seem to be very angry at the world.

YEs, I'm angry at the state of the world. I see poverty, alienation, exploitation, homelessness, war. Mostly all in the name of profit.
    Geowizz wrote:
    And you know what about me? my neice? my computer habbits?

I know that you've been caught out and are trying to cover up.
    Geowizz wrote:
    And A "bunch" of....Thought you were all for equal rights, this sounds a bit patronising. How would you like it if us Royalists called people like you a "bunch of confused, insignificant 9 to 5'er's"? Good job we dont.

I'm sure they probably do in private. I don't really give a stuff.
    Geowizz wrote:
    From growing up in a council estate myself, I can happily stand in as the urban spokesman.

Right oh.
    Geowizz wrote:
    What does Prince William have in common with the Queen? Weak argument my dearest friend.

Apart from being related of course. Can you understand simple logic?
    Geowizz wrote:
    What would be the point in all the pomp and ceremony if there was no foundation for it? Bit like hot dogs without the meat.

Why does it need foundation?
    Geowizz wrote:
    "They serve no purpose"???????

Whatsssalllllthaaaadddaaabbbooout? Dear lord, you are one confused mudda chucker. Here, http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelines/britain/post_eli_ii.shtml

You haven't answered my question. What purpose do they serve?
    Geowizz wrote:
    Gee'z how long has this argumentative spotty nerd plaqued this site for?

You sure you haven't posted here before?
    Geowizz wrote:
    Ah ha, now you just need to make your mind up. Do you want the pomp and ceremony or not? Dont make a statement such as ridding the Royals, but keep the ceremony if you dont want to be reminded of Britains gruesome past. Afterall, changing of the guard is initially established to protect 'Er Maj.

You're not making any sense.
    Geowizz wrote:
    We were the first Liberal Parliamentary on planet earth, we DO vote for our ministerial leader, he DOES make the decisions, but because THIS is Britain, we enjoy our pomp and thus upkeep it. Britains shoddy past was long long ago, it was actually the Monarchy that abolished the slave trade and enriched the world with our empire. Moan about it all you want, but I side with the biggest.

You seem to be quite confused. I suggest you read some history. How did the monarcy abolish the slave trade? How did we enrich the world with empire?
    Geowizz wrote:
    What more of a democracy do you want?

I want real democracy, democracy for everyone, not just the rich.
    Geowizz wrote:
    They say its not truly democracy because we have a Queen, but thats just an excuse for Republicans to spread their unwanted wisdom. The USA still executes human beings in 2005! Every public building in Britain must have a ramp for wheelchair access, this country is far from undemocratic and humane, you could do a lot worse spotty.

What has the US got to do with it? :confused:
    Geowizz wrote:
    Do you know Her Majesty's favourite colour?

I don't give a toss.
    Geowizz wrote:
    "Freedom of Speech".......apparently...

Geowizz wrote:
    Well I was happy to debate this, but your post above suggests you want something to do on this sunny Thursday.

Geowizz wrote:
    Firstly, go here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1701843.stm - Proves the word exists.

Eh? :confused:
    Geowizz wrote:
    Secondly, from Brixton to Buckinghamshire, this is not the Monarchy, this is down to capitalism. Don't take western capitalism out on the Queen. We ALL live it. Someone who resides in East London, now, can become the Prime Minister, (reference = John Major) this country allows any able working-class hard worker to overachieve and rise, but that is down to the person. Afterall, why should someone growing up in Peckham live the life they have, when someone who appeared of pop idle lives the life of a celeb because they have a tighter (or looser) vocal cord? It's an unfair world you need to deal with it.

Oh dear, you are confused. I'll ask you again - what does someone from a working class estate have in common with the Queen?
    Geowizz wrote:
    At 67p a year, I wouldn't use this as an excuse, its as outdated as Duran Duran. And yes footballers have been connected with violance, in the past ironically. Where as the Queen wouldn't kill a fly.

You're good at avoiding the point aren't you?
    Geowizz wrote:
    Every primitive nation on earth experienced an undemocratic past, come on, stop looking through the key hole here. Bigger picture, Bigger brain.

Yep, very good at avoiding the point.
    Geowizz wrote:
    By the way, stop producing about 3 messages before someone elses reply, make's you look over-eager, and indeed, obsessively annoying.

Yes, son. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ok, your clearly a youngster, I mean, what are all the dodgy smiley faces about? I think you need to leave your computer desk for once and meet people, communicate in real, and socialise more. Remember, your not getting paid to come on here being a foolish rebbel.

I'll go and discuss with more open-minded intellectuals.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Fuck the Queen

You resorted to this, thats all I have to say matey.

Have fun trying to remove a piece of history.
  • Options
    Yes, that's right, I'm a youngster. And you're a commisoned officer in the British Army. Yes of course.

The bottom line is this - the royal family are parasites, living off the rest of us, a symbol of a feudal undemocratic age, a symbol of wealth, power and privilege over democracy, freedom and equality and as such, should be abolished. No amount of bleating about our glorious empire (yeah, slavery and concentration camps enriched the world no end), about tourists (they'd still come) or about their function as heads of state (pure empty gesture) will change this. Get over it and enjoy your shelfstacking.
  • Options
    I still have yet to hear one good reason why the Royals should be abolished.

Cost? I doubt Buck House will cost less to run with Mein Fuhrer Blair in there. On previous performance, it'd probably cost more.

What is democracy anyway? It's certainly not fair.
  • Options
    I wish more parasites only cost me 61p per year....

The more I look I take a look at the faces of the anti-monarchists twisted in hatred and class envy the more I'm glad we have a monarchy (with apologies to John Prescott for pinching his line).
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    a symbol of a feudal undemocratic age

Except, err, they're not.

The monarchy in its current guise has never been feudal. Monarchy before the civil war was entirely different.

They are symbolic now, but as NQA says, I'd be delighted if all the parasites only cost me 61p. It amuses me how the same people who decry the Royal Family for being parasitic and undemocratic defend the BBC to the hilt. And correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the BBC undemocratic parasites who cost 13p a day.

I think the Monarchy are worth far more than a week of EastEnders and Celebrity Dancing with Graham "cunt" Norton. That's the context it should be in.
  • Options
    Yes, that's right, I'm a youngster. And you're a commisoned officer in the British Army

There are two S's in CommisSioned. And yes I am, and who exactly are you to suggest otherwise? You suggested the cadets in earlier posts, maybe thats your thing hunny, I teach in the AGC.
    a symbol of a feudal undemocratic age, a symbol of wealth, power and privilege over democracy

So doesn't Mr Blair have wealth? Or any other potential HoState. You need to sift and sort your ideas and make your mind up. Maybe you should join communist China, where the ideology rests on entire equality. All I know, is that I live a very happy, opinionated, expressive, freer than free, successful life here in Britain, and coming from the bottom, its not like I was born with it.

I prefer the British system than any other in the world, maybe we need to send you off to South Africa or Central Afghanistan for a few years to experience real unmodified, unfair, undemocratic lifestyles. Then you may to learn and appreciate a system built on years of modifications, improvements, appeasements, negotiations and freedoms that you take for granted today, you know, all this luxury you were ascribed.

Believe me boy, there are bigger, more relevent issues to get worked up about.
  • Options
    Cost is irrelevant.

Yes, the royals probably cost less money than an equivalent presidential system, but I don't think that's any wayt to justify a political system.

For me, it's about whether you agree with power by birthright. I don't, so I'm a republican - simple as that.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Cost is irrelevant.

Yes, the royals probably cost less money than an equivalent presidential system, but I don't think that's any wayt to justify a political system.

For me, it's about whether you agree with power by birthright. I don't, so I'm a republican - simple as that.

But one of the arguments some republicans throw against having a monarchy is that it costs too much - so I think that putting the counter-argument is relevant.
  • Options
    And what exactly have you done to show your support for Republicanism?

And as for power, the Queen is there for culture and ceremony, as has been discussed a million times. I prefer a neutral, non-commons, non-elected figure in politics, especially one who eye-witnessed the War.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But one of the arguments some republicans throw against having a monarchy is that it costs too much - so I think that putting the counter-argument is relevant.

True - and I think those republicans are barking up the wrong tree. It's a point of principle IMO, not some sort of bidding war to see who can provide the cheaper political system.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Except, err, they're not.

The monarchy in its current guise has never been feudal. Monarchy before the civil war was entirely different.

Except they are. Yes, their function may be different, but they are still a symbol of of a time when we were ruled by privilege and wealth - which we still are to a certain extent, but at least their is a pretension to democracy,
    Kermit wrote:
    They are symbolic now, but as NQA says, I'd be delighted if all the parasites only cost me 61p. It amuses me how the same people who decry the Royal Family for being parasitic and undemocratic defend the BBC to the hilt. And correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the BBC undemocratic parasites who cost 13p a day.

I think comparing the BBC to the Royal Family is an absurd thing to do. The BBC serves a useful and democratic function - a source of news that is not biased by commercial interests.
    Kermit wrote:
    I think the Monarchy are worth far more than a week of EastEnders and Celebrity Dancing with Graham "cunt" Norton. That's the context it should be in.

I think that BBC news, Dr Who, Conviction, Newsnight, Edge of Darkness etc etc are all worth far more than the royals.
  • Options
    Geowizz wrote:
    And what exactly have you done to show your support for Republicanism?

And as for power, the Queen is there for culture and ceremony, as has been discussed a million times. I prefer a neutral, non-commons, non-elected figure in politics, especially one who eye-witnessed the War.

What am I expected to do to 'show my support for republicanism?' Send turds through the post to Buckingham Palace or something? :confused:

If there were a referendum on the monarchy I'd vote against it - until then, it's a silly question. It's just an opinion.

I disagree with unelected power - end of. And even if the Queen's power is largely symbolic, power it remains. You yourself acknowledge this, when you talk about the need for a 'neutral' [she isn't - highly conservative, in fact] and 'non-commons and non-elected' [objectionable in principle] figure.

I've no personal animosity towards the Queen though - I imagine she'd be a very interesting person to speak to.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think comparing the BBC to the Royal Family is an absurd thing to do. The BBC serves a useful and democratic function - a source of news that is not biased by commercial interests.

No, just political ones.
    I think that BBC news, Dr Who, Conviction, Newsnight, Edge of Darkness etc etc are all worth far more than the royals.

Just as well really, you pay far more for them.