Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Big Lottery Fund

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One third of all the money recently allocated by the Big Lottery Fund, £700,000, has gone to asylum campaigners. This brings the total to £1.3 million given to these organisations this year.

Now I've nothing against helping the unfortunate, its a Christian duty to help those less fortunate than ourselves but have we got the balance right, I think not.

Comments

• Options
    God forbid we help people fleeing from persecution.

Prat.
  • Options
    Better we just whack that £1.3 million onto the already obscene military budget and just bomb them in their home countries on the pretext of "liberating" them, eh RK. Then you can assuage your supposed "Christian" sense of compassion and charity with mere righteous slogans AND solve the asylum problem (since such down and outs are all scum in your book) all in one fell swoop.

Now there's some balance for ya. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Please don't misquote me Clanny. I have never called asylum seekers nor down & outs as "scum".

Scum are people who kick to death OAP'S just for the fun of it, or who throw things at hearses, smashing their windows, whilst they're on their way to a cemetary, or go into cemeteries and desecrate graves including those of children. They are scum

Hope this clarifies the position.
  • Options
    I think your previous posts make your position quite clear RK.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Scum are people who kick to death OAP'S just for the fun of it, or who throw things at hearses, smashing their windows, whilst they're on their way to a cemetary, or go into cemeteries and desecrate graves including those of children. They are scum.

And there is a big underclass of people like this are there?

Oh, and have you a source for your story by any chance?
  • Options
    Its about time The Lottery commission gave you an option on the back of your form to vote which charitys you would like to see your money going too.

Would certainly stop these mass amounts going to left-wing civil liberties groups and asylum seekers, we should be looking after our own people first before those.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    Its about time The Lottery commission gave you an option on the back of your form to vote which charitys you would like to see your money going too.

Would certainly stop these mass amounts going to left-wing civil liberties groups and asylum seekers, we should be looking after our own people first before those.
    What a sensible constructive posting Tommo.
  • Options
    So considering we get money from The Big Lottery Fund, I'm curious to know if you'd be willing to let us have it.
  • Options
    No, why should you?
  • Options
    because they provide a valuable service to a lot of young people.
  • Options
    Camelot should be allowed to spend the cash how they want.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    because they provide a valuable service to a lot of young people.
    So do many other organsiations, and they receive funds.
  • Options
    What's your point?
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:

And 'left-wing civil liberties' groups, they arent British are they?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    One third of all the money recently allocated by the Big Lottery Fund, £700,000, has gone to asylum campaigners. This brings the total to £1.3 million given to these organisations this year.

Now I've nothing against helping the unfortunate, its a Christian duty to help those less fortunate than ourselves but have we got the balance right, I think not.

Which orifice did you suck these figures out of?

:confused:

According to the Sunday Times, the BIG lottery fund distributes £600m per year to good causes - £1.3m looks like a very small percentage of that......
  • Options
    Indeed according to the Big Lottery Fund (which hand out half of all money for good causes from the lottery) the total is -

'Our income will come from the same streams of funding currently available to the Community Fund and New Opportunities Fund: the sale of Lottery tickets. Combined, this is 50 percent of the proceeds for good causes, which we anticipate will be between £600 and £700 million a year until 2009.'

http://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/about/index.htm

So if your talking about 1.3million that would be what,

1.3 / 650 x 100 = 0.22% of all funding.

So the Big Lottery fund has so far given far out less than 1% to asylum capaigners.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    So the Big Lottery fund has so far given far out less than 1% to asylum capaigners.

Exactly, we should look after our own, rather than splashing money on these sponges.
  • Options
    It might interest people to know that the Samaritans were turned down for a grant.
    I've got a great deal of respect for the Samaritans, in fact I was thinking of becoming one.
  • Options
    Praise be to God that you didn't.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    It might interest people to know that the Samaritans were turned down for a grant.
    I've got a great deal of respect for the Samaritans, in fact I was thinking of becoming one.

You'd do well helping the 'scum' I think.
  • Options
  • Options
    Judging from his posting history, he'd tell her she was a morally loose miscreant just looking for a free handout from the system.

I imagine a fair number would indeed go ahead and top themselves after a 5 minute chat with RK.
  • Options
    Rich Kid... Who should have the funds then? Why are the Samaritans a worthy cause more so than people fleeing persecution?

If you wish to join such an organisation (which as a compassionate, open minded universally loving Christian such as yourself might enjoy), you do realise you could be dealing with drug addicts, rapists, ex convicts and the like as well as the poor unfortunate victims of this 'scum'. You also realise that people would not appreciate being condescended down the phone, or preached the Bible?

I don't see why helping people is a bad thing... At the end of the day why shouldn't we help out assylum seekers? Why do we take everything for granted? The roofs over our heads, the fact we have internet access and a greater deal of freedom of speech... The fact we can vote and not get shot, protest and that we have warmth, food and don't live in constant fear?*

Why shouldn't these people be allowed help? Did they choose to be born in the country they're from? Did they choose not to be white middle class male Christians? Is it because we're afraid that they'll take our jobs?

*Just to note that this doesn't apply to everybody... A lot of people do live in fear in the UK, yet the situation is different than in, for example... Sudan.
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:

Examples?
  • Options
    people forget the reasons behind this money

they dont give it to varies charities because they should

they give it because they can
  • Options
    We should let the people decide where the money goes not some government-appointed quango that gives it out to every left-wing civil liberties group going.
    Let the people speak, introduce an element of democracy into the process, then we'll see real causes that deserve support being supported instead of snubbed.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    We should let the people decide where the money goes not some government-appointed quango that gives it out to every left-wing civil liberties group going.
    Let the people speak, introduce an element of democracy into the process, then we'll see real causes that deserve support being supported instead of snubbed.

Like who, who are these left wing civil liberties groups?
  • Options
    Bonga, do you support the principle of introducing democracy into the choosing the organisations that should receive funds. Are you in favour of letting the people speak? Thats all we need to know.
  • Options
    Who are these left wing civil liberties groups?
  • Options
    This is the main issue:

Bonga, do you support the principle of introducing democracy into the choosing the organisations that should receive funds. Are you in favour of letting the people speak? Thats all we need to know.

Now if we're going to play "tennis", Jim the mod will not be happy. This is my last posting on this.